“Enjoyable but some issues”

Occidental Margaritas
Ranked #18 of 134 Hotels in Playa del Ingles
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This was my third time to Gran Canaria and my first time in the Barcelo Margaritas.
We were all inclusive which worked out well for us. We have 2 teens and they loved the hotel. The entertainment team were brilliant during the day and really never had to ask anyone to join in as everyone wanted to try all the activities. The 1st week we arrived everyone was up doing the dancing with actions to the music when the activities started and ended. I couldn't believe everyone was doing it and true enough by the end of the 2nd week we were all doing the dancing also.
I shall be honest here about the food:- Dishes were very dirty and this didn't just happen once this was everyday and the hotel could do with addressing this. When others pointed out the dirty dishes to the staff they just looked at them blankly. Food hall was very stressful and busy(I am aware it's peak season but I've stayed in other hotels and this wasn't as evident) a few times we had to wait quite a while for a free table. It would appear staff were under pressure as the hotel was at max capacity. Their was 20 of us staying in the hotel and we all have different food likes and dislikes. We all loved the food granted there isn't as much selection as other hotels I stayed in but it was good food. Like all hotels it gets repetitive after 2 weeks but I really enjoyed it. My big compliant was as an all inclusive guest you can not get a bottle of water!!! You have to get water out of a water dispenser which is supposed to be bottled! I drank out of the first night and the next day and I spent all the next day in the bathroom so needless to say I didn't use that water again. I had to bring my own bottled water with me.
Bedrooms:- we stayed on the 6 floor and we had 2 rooms next to each other as requested. The rooms were lovely and the maid tried her best. On the day of arrival the shower was dirty and had shower gel/shampoo on the shower wall from the previous guests, this wasn't cleaned or noticed by cleaning staff and I eventually had to clean myself. As I've already said the hotel was at max capacity and could have done with more staff. The bed was extremely comfortable and we all slept well. My parents had a room on the 8th floor and their rooms were amazing and newly decorated.
Hotel shop:- another reviewer has pointed out the man in the shop was very rude but on the last day he redeemed himself by saying hello and gave me cold chocolate out of the fridge, it took 14 days but it was well worth the wait.
The entertainment at night was very poor, it didn't annoy me as I wasn't that interested in the evening entertainment. The entertainment team had to provide most of the entertainment which I've never seen at a hotel before(very Butlins). The entertainment team started at 10am and if the disco was on they were there until 2am, maybe the entertainment would have been better if they didn't work such long hours. The evenings the outside entertainers were in it was average enough.
We had a brilliant holiday and the hotel was definetly more good than bad, we usually stay in Tenerife the Bitacora and maybe that's what I expected this to be but it wasn't but it was still good.
If I was going to Gran Canaria again I would stay in Melonaras and not Playa de Ingles.
This hotel is close to a Spar, San Fernando(some nice shops) and the yumbo(you need to see it to believe it.
Our teens had the best holiday ever which says something as they love Florida and I really enjoyed it but unfortunately I wouldn't go back, Sorry Barcelo.

Room Tip: Our room 603 didn't get sun on the balcony all day. Rooms on the 8th floor are newly decorated a...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Brush71

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Four of us stayed 10 nights inclusive in this hotel in June 2014. All 4 of us working in hospitality industry. It was the worst 4 star hotel we have ever seen. It was the biggest rip off ever experienced.
Where to start?
Fridge was empty and not included on the inclusive deal. If you want to get water, after midnight you had to get it from reception, not cold of course and from a jug in a table !!! You have to buy it from a shop outside if you wanted cold bottled water.
Towels weren't changed at all during all our stay. Soap and shampoo also not filled up. You need to go to reception if you run out of them.
Shower wasn’t clean enough.
Wifi was not free of charge even in the common area. Anyway, we purchased wifi and still didn’t work in the rooms, only in reception area.
If you rent a car and want to park in front of the hotel they will charge you and will cost you more than the entire car hire charge.
Sun beds with shades which look lovely on their website cost 20 euros per person a day and you get a cheap Prosecco with it. It was empty; of course no one wanted to pay 20 euros for that.
Fridays and Saturdays they had a lot of locals in. Not many Brits in the hotel, majority were Polish holidaymakers.
Bar staff were old and grumpy, looked like didn't want to be there. Cocktails were not handmade but produced by a machine and undrinkable.
Food was average nothing special.
So in total not a good experience. It seems that this was a chain hotel and from this experience I would never go to a Barcelo hotel again. You have been warned!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank max P
Barceló C, Gerente at Occidental Margaritas, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear Mr. Max:

It is a pleasure to contact you on behalf of Barceló Margaritas staff and thank you for your recent stay with us.

We would like to thank you for all the comments made about our hotel. All of them will be taken in consideration so as to make changes in the future. We apologize for any inconvenience occurred during your stay with us.

Please do not hesitate to contact if you require any additional information. We remain at your disposal for any further assistance you may need.

Juan Miguel Yagüe
General Manager Barceló Margaritas

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed at the Barcelo Margaritas from 18th-28th July. On our arrival, we were very impressed with the Hotel cleanliness and overall appearance. The booking in procedure was quick and we were soon in our apartment, which was room 509 in the apartment block, not the Hotel. Our room was clean and tidy and a nice size and we overlooked the quiet pool which was a god send as the evening entertainment was quite noisy and didn't finish til 11pm.
The buffet restaurant was ok but after a while, got very monotonous and a lot of the time, we as a family struggled to get a seat at sittings for breakfast and dinner. This we found unacceptable as it was purely down to lack of staff. The food itself was ok but as with all buffets it's very same ole same ole.
The kids club wasn't particularly great either. Our children aged 9 & 5 went once and that was enough, they found it very boring. The kids playground area was fine but really could do with a refurb.
The evening entertainment was good, the staff really try hard entertain you but some of the sketches were awful. It it just meant we went to bed early.
On a downside, the all inclusive drinks finished promptly at 11pm which we felt was too early. All the bars shut up and all you could get was water. It would have been nice to have had somewhere to carry on getting your drinks as we didn't always want to go to bed at that time. The night club opened whilst we were there but you have pay for your drinks!!!
Would we recommend this Hotel, yes we would and would we go again, yes we would!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Barceló Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I stayed here with my family back in February and after enjoying it so much we decided to break our normal trend of summer holidays by returning to this hotel for a second time. I do not regret that decision one bit after this trip.
For starters, the room was incredibly spacious, clean and modern. The beds were comfortable, the shower worked at a wide variety of temperatures and the air conditioning was a welcome relief from the heat, especially on warmer days.
I had mixed feelings about the restaurant during my first visit and I felt the same way about it this time. I felt it lacked a bit of variety and I wasn't too keen of everything on offer, but my opinion on the food differs from other guests; you either like it or you don't.
What stood out for me in February was the entertainment available onsite, and it didn't fail to impress me even more after this visit. Since it was the peak summer season, they had more for you to take part in during the day, with activities ranging from Petancha to Archery to Killer Pool, as well as water-polo (which got really competitive too quickly) and aquagym (basically aerobics in the pool). The entertainment team onsite were just brilliant and tried really hard to make you feel involved. The entire team did a fantastic and flawless job, but I have to put special mentions out to Arge (the head entertainer who was just downright hilarious), Kamila (who I already knew from February but was just as nice, friendly and fun as before), Maria (made killer pool a laugh), Sasha (that cough!), Ola and Eric (Majorca mafia!). The children looked like they were well catered for at the miniclub by Sandra and Eli.
The evening entertainment wasn't perfect, but some of the evening shows were just hilarious. The disco opened up after a big renovation period and was a good laugh. Some nights the team put on "casino nights" which was good fun.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel to anyone, but in particular to families and groups of friends.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gary W
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Kind of a mixed bag here!!! . Just back from two weeks at this hotel ! It is a huge hotel that can be very busy , absolutely spotless in every way maids in every day to clean your room and two spotless bar and pool areas . Deffo not for couples or singles a very family/child friendly place .we r a young gay couple with no kids so was not best suited to us , unfortunately we would not stay again due to the amount of children and family's ! The location is good and services offered are good although if I was u I would not use the shop in the hotel as the wee man in it is a grumpy old git and for some items (sun cream) is way over priced . I liked the self help bar and although local brands they were all very good (none of that gut rot stuff) . As for the food !!! I am a little fussy and did not enjoy the food at all we were all inclusive and I ate two meals in the place in two weeks I stayed so if u r fussy like myself I would not recommend ! On the other hand my partner could always find something to eat as he is less fussy than I am although I still think he would rather order off a menu rather than slop buffet style !! . So to sum up , if u are a family with small kids and and don't mind it being very busy and are not too fussy with food this is your kind of hotel !! And if u r a single or young couple who r fussy with food and want a nice quiet day by the pool this is not for u !!!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alan M
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed at Barcelo from 30th June for 10 days with my wife and son. The hotel is lovely and every area was kept very clean. The room was spacious with a large bathroom and verandah. The hotel has two pools. Pool one is right next to hotel. Pool two is a short walk through the grounds. Pool one was mostly for kids and pool two for adults but kids allowed in both. Plenty of sunbeds so no worries. Each pool has a bar. We went all inclusive so the bars each have a small area attached where you can get snacks like burgers ,chips, toasties etc. you can also serve yourself here for juice, water , alcohol and tea and coffee. We didn't join in the games but my son and I played tennis and went to the gym in the hotel. Overall the hotel is great and has lots to offer. The only downside but not for us was the food choices. We can understand people's negatives on this but not on anything else. Also every member of staff we came across were polite and helpful with everything. We went on the cruise and did jet ski, parasailing and banana boat. It was ok but we loved the paddle boarding on the beach. We also got the free bus to maspalomas and walked back to playa del ingles beach. Long walk but very nice. Also you can go into sand dunes on way. You will pass nudist beach but no big deal. Aqualand good and about 5 euros in taxi. Yumbo centre about 5 minute walk. Not much to do but go to sparkles for a fun drag show. Hope you enjoy.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank jaymccarron
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

You may think after this review that I am an awkward customer but I'm not, if you're easily pleased and don't mind wasting money then book this hotel.

FOOD

Very bland, dirty plates and uncleared tables. The dining experience isn't pleasant at all. We had to wait sometimes ten minutes for a table and then eat from a filthy table.

ROOMS

We stayed in a 1 bed apartment which consisted of two single beds for the children and one foldaway (very uncomfortable) double bed. We left our spare card in the aircon slot but this had disappeared on our return. Towels changed everyday but bedding not once in one week even though we asked.

SECOND POOL BAR

This closes at 6 and becomes a pay-only restaurant and bar. All inclusive guests are forced to sit on cheap chairs (if there's any left) around pool number 1.

AMENITIES

Broken table tennis, broken tennis rackets, animation team who don't even ask guests at pool 2. Entertainment is the worst ever and because of the hotel's remote location, there's nowhere else to go for entertainment, food and drink.

COCKROACHES

I appreciate this comes with the territory but at night around the seating area, there was cockroaches in abundance so you have been warned !

This hotel is supposed to be four star but it definitely needs improving to maintain this rating. Here is my rating:

Food: 2 star
Room: 3 star
Hotel gardens: 4 star
Drinks: 2 star
Amenities: 2 star

Overall: very very disappointed, I would give this hotel a 2/3 star. Glad we only booked this for 1 week.

I wouldn't stay here again or recommend.

• Stayed: July 2014
#5 of 44 in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
HD Parque Cristobal Gran Canaria
HD Parque Cristobal Gran Canaria
#26 of 134 in Playa del Ingles

Been to Occidental Margaritas? Share your experiences!