“great base for pride”

GreenLeadersGold level
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
“great base for pride”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

we booked this hotel for pride week and it was great on arrival to our room a bottle of wine was cooling for us which was nice . 10min walk to the yumbo 5 min walk to supermarket 15 min walk to beach . room was good size cleaned everyday fresh towels everyday we were on the 5th floor and it was very quiet hotel was clean well maintained pool area was lovely plenty of sun loungers but like all hotels get there early . stayed half board plenty of choice regarding the food and the quality was ok . defo recommend this hotel to anybody and I will be booking to stay next time I go pride .

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank chel t

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (475)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Gillingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Wasn't sure what to expect from the hotel as I only booked it because my friends were staying here for Gay Pride week. I was pleasantly surprised. I foolishly turned up without a printout of my booking but it wasn't a terrible problem. The staff on duty let me use the computer to access my emails and print one off. The room was very big and would have slept four people easily and it was only me! I upgraded to get wifi, a fridge and welcome pack - very reasonable although the wifi wasn't all that great on the floor I was on. 6th floor with a great view but a bit scary for those scared of heights like me - next time I'll request a lower floor. I ate out the first couple of nights but thought I'd give the hotel restaurant a go on the third day. Excellent value for money even if you haven't gone all inclusive and are paying for it daily using the room card (which can be charged up with money from the front desk and can be used throughout the complex). A wide selection of food and you can have as much as you like which is handy for a greedy man like me.
The hotel has two large pool areas which are very relaxing with jacuzzi areas, free sun beds and poolside bars.
Staff are very friendly and most speak good English which is useful for the usual monoglot Britlish tourist. The location is good, only a short walk to the beach and about a ten minute wander to the delights of the Yumbo centre.
I'll definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you face the main pool you will hear the entertainment rather too loudly in the early evening so...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Soapy1970
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here over Gran Canaria pride and we loved it. We got a room on the top floor that overlooked the pool and the ocean. We could even watch the entertainment from our balcony. The rooms are massive and well kept. The restaurants and bars were great and happy hour every afternoon made the already cheap cocktails even more of a bargain and they were really good! I couldn't complain about anything at this hotel for the price we payed. I would recommend it to anyone.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We booked this last minute, and although I wasn't sure what to expect, I was pleasantly surprised.

The room itself was fine. Double bed, with sofa bed and balcony. We were pretty high up and weren't overlooking the pool, which was great, because I like as little noise as possible at night.
We managed to get a great deal for all inclusive. The food buffets were great - though I don't think I've ever seen quite so much melon in one place before! Lots of choice, for veggies and meat eaters alike. My husband said the local beer was nice, and the spirits fine. I was pregnant, so only managed to partake of the non-alcoholic cocktails, so can't say much else.

The location of the hotel is okay, it's a bit of a walk to the local beach, but once you're there, it's worth it. There was a bus that ran people, but I like to walk. In hindsight, it was too hot for a pregnant lady walking!

The staff were lovely, and the other guests were a mix of families and younger groups - however, the hotel has 2 pools apart from each other so there's no bother. In fact, we only experienced one noisy night, and that was a couple of girls having an argument outside our door in the middle of the night, but it was over pretty quickly, and really the result of a day spend in the sun and too much alcohol. I'm sure I was the same when I was 19...

Primarily, we were there just to relax before the birth of our daughter, so we did spend a lot of time reading by the pool. We did go for walks around the area, and also went on an arranged trip to Costa Rica where we took a boat out to see wild dolphins. We were lucky enough to see quite a few, which was amazing.

All in all, I really enjoyed this holiday and thought this was a great, relaxing trip.
(we actually travelled July 2011, but only getting round to reviewing!)

Room Tip: Try and get a room that doesn't face the pool, and one on a higher floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kerri_bee80
San Francisco
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Lovely hotel but don't go if you want a quiet holiday. If you don't put your towels out by 8.30 by the pool you will struggle to get a good place. There are 2 pools, one quiet but there were a lot of children around that one. The other is the party pool. We did enjoy this pool as the entertainment staff were really good and music was playing all day. The only thing we found disappointing was the food. I know the kitchens were catering gor a lot of people but in the week we were there we didn't have a single hot meal. It didn't matter what time we ate the food was all ways bland and cold. We did enjoy the English bar (not all inclusive) because it sold all the named brands nd the owners are really friendly. Would we go back? Not to this hotel. Ask fo a quiet room if you want to get to sleep before midnight.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 Thank Colin James R
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Firstly I'd like to point out that neither myself nor my friend (who I was on holiday with) are fussy travellers. We have both stayed in other 3 star hotels and been rather satisfied.
This has to be one of the oddest all inclusive packages I've ever had! To me if you picked AI everything within the hotel should be included, but that's not the case here. Certain bars within the hotel were not included within AI and guests had to pay, even in those that we're providing free drinks options were limited and not of a very high standard.
As for the restaurant all food is either luke warm, bland or salty and if you're really unlucky it's all 3! The restaurant also had a funny smell that wasn't at all inviting, so thank god for Mulligan's down the road....this place was brilliant!! Choice in the restaurant is poor, the staff are miserable and it is always busy!
The rooms are quite spacious and were cleaned everyday....the maids were brilliant and always said hello!!
(Maybe the rest of the staff could learn from them!!) In a 3 star hotel I wouldn't by any means expect totally luxury, but the beds here are ridiculous....prisons beds would be much comfier!! Even though it was clean rooms are very basic and could do with updating!
The hotel is really big with far too many people for the facilities that are provided, finding a sun lounger past 10AM was impossible with everyone reserving loungers but not using them! This resulted in us spending the majority of the week at the beach and having to pay for our loungers!!
If after a busy day you're expecting a peaceful nights sleep then you've come to the wrong place! I know that people are here for a good time and want to enjoy themselves, but seriously the noise levels most nights were ridiculous, doors slamming, people screaming and shouting, balcony doors being open and closed all night, it sounded like someone was constantly moving furniture!! We stayed on the wing furthest away from the main entrance (room 382) where the corridor was constantly dark, dingy and sometime smelt of sewage.
One good thing about this hotel was the animation team...they were absolutely crazy, they made the effort to speak to the guests and get everyone involved in the evenings entertainment and created a lovely atmosphere!
Overall it was a very disappointing stay and I would recommend you saved your money and looked for somewhere else!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Siobhan M
LopesanHotelGroup, Manager at IFA Buenaventura Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Mr. Siobhan,

Thank you very much for your sincere commentaries.

We do regret that your experience at our hotel has not been completely satisfactory for you. At the IFA Buenaventura Hotel it is our intention to meet all the needs of our customers and we feel really sorry that in your case we have not been successful.

It would be a pleasure for us to be able to welcome you again at our hotel so that you can see yourself that we are doing all our best to reach service excellence.

If you have the opportunity to come back to our island and although you may not be staying in our hotel, I would still like to greet you and give you my apologies personally.

Yours cordially,

Public Relations
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Don't usually review but can't believe that people are moaning about this hotel.

I Usually travel long haul or cruises but decided to book a cheap weeks deal not so far away. So when you don't expect much from previous holidays to the canaries & Spain , I can honestly say am pleasantly surprised by how great this hotel is. Staff at reception fantastic very friendly especially the male members.

Food great for a 3* standard & price ,plenty of choice & you certainly wouldn't go hungry, we planned on eating out most nights as we like to go out for a few meals & from Previous experience in Spanish hotels the food isn't usually good but like I say I was very impressed by the food here & enjoyed the nights we dinned in . And obviously the food is going to get repetitive it always does no matter if your in a 3 or 5 * hotel , why not go out one night to eat to break it up a little as the local restaurants are great and very cheap.

Rooms very clean and quite modern ,comfortable & large & like all hotels as this is not an apartment complex we didn't expect a fridge etc
Only thing I was shocked at was not having air conditioning in such a modern hotel thankfully the weather wasn't too warm the week we were there......

Only negative I have the noise ..... We were lucky enough to get a room over looking the stage & pool but the noise from AM till early hours was so loud & Unfortunately I am a light sleeper so after 3days of it we eventually moved rooms to the 'quiet side' lol and enjoyed a peaceful end to our holiday :) this did not ruin our holiday but is only a tip if you are a light sleeper like myself !

Overall fantastic hotel do not worry about booking this & remember it is a foreign country and it's only 3* hotel people expect too much , don't get me wrong it is possibly verging 4* in many areas as they are doing such a good job .

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple