SENTIDO Gran Canaria Princess
IFA Buenaventura Hotel(Playa del Ingles)
US$116
US$109
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Hotel Servatur Waikiki(Playa del Ingles)
US$130
US$127
  • Breakfast included
Apartamentos Dorotea(Playa del Ingles)
US$629
US$122
  • Pool
AxelBeach Maspalomas(Playa del Ingles)
US$164
US$158
  • Pool
Bohemia Suites & Spa(Playa del Ingles)
US$352
Las Gondolas Apartments(Playa del Ingles)(Great Value!)
US$98
  • Beachfront
US$67
US$62
Hotel Riu Don Miguel(Playa del Ingles)
US$142
US$139
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
US$191
US$187
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
ClubHotel Riu Papayas(Playa del Ingles)
US$195
Hotwire.com
2,390 results
All reviewswellness areahalf boardcorner roompiano bargran canariafast wifilovely hotelmattress topperevening entertainmentplenty of sunbedssaladplenty of choiceall inclusive guestsbreakfast and dinnerat peak timesself servicesun loungers
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 May 2008

I stayed at the hotel at the beginning of May. Having read the reviews I received what I expected.

Hotel
It was very clean and tidy at all times but I thought the restaurant areas were a lit bit dated. Mention has been made of the lifts being inadequate I didnt agree. It has a bank of three lifts which were never used fully. Maybe in peak season but more than for May. Having spoken to the staff I found the staff very polite and willing to help at all times.

Pool area
It was very nice clean with plenty of sunbeds. The poolside bar I found to be expensive. For example two euro eighty cents for a flat coke!! That was a common thread I found to be true throughout my stay in Gran Canaria. Whether it was due to the rising Euro I found that my money didn t seem to go as far as previous stays in Spain/Canaries.

I found the food very good both morning and night. I had one night, which was a speciality night, which I didnt enjoy back at home never mind Gran Canaria!!! The restaurant area was small but more than adequate for May. If it was later in the season I can imagine getting full very quickly.

Overall
Would I go back? No. Not purely down to the hotel but really for the price. The cost of hotel, half board basis, plus spends was simply too dear. It worked out dearer than a fortnight in Dom rep 4 star All Inclusive!! Value for money I feel that Spain has gone too dear and you can obtain better deals further afar. It was a nice break in a good hotel in a nice place but try new pastures for a better deal.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2008

We have just returned from a break to celebrate our silver wedding. We have always gone on self catering holidays therefore we were a bit dubious about "half- board"especially having read some previous reviews however we thorougly enjoyed the week. We felt the choice of food was excellent,the staff were polite and efficient and the overall atmosphere of the hotel was very relaxing. Of course with so many rooms there may be occasional queing but in our view this was never a problem and anybody offended by this must be easily irritated !! You are never going to get the same atmosphere as dining in a cosy restaurant however on the one night we did decide to eat out we regreted it as the food choices in local restaurants is very "samey"The day-time entertainment team seemed to work hard at providing a variety of activities however these just seemed to appeal to a minority mainly younger people,which may have been due to the unusually high temperatures when we were there. The only downside is probably the evening entertainment,which on our brief peek into the lounge seemed a little on the old-fashioned side .Even though we are in our early fiftieswe are definately not ready for old-time dancing "club singers" and bingo !! Overall we loved our stay,are now hotel converts and would reccommend the hotel to all.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2008

The main disappointment for me was the rather bland food. As usual in a hotel , drinks were not cheap. This I suppose wasn't helped by the bad exchange rate at the time we were on holiday.

The English were definately in the minority. A lot of Germans stayed at this hotel. Perhaps this was because they could go all inclusive and no-one else could.

Someone mentioned this should no longer be a Platinum Hotel. From May 1st it has been removed from the Platinum brochure.

Some decorating was being done to the hotlel whilst we were there but this caused no problem.

It was very hot and I was annoyed by the guy who sees to the sunbeds. From 4pm, as soon as someone left their bed he began stacking them up.

The pool area was very nice although close to a fairly busy road. Could hardly hear the entertainments staff announcing the various activities during the day because of the road and people noise.

The entertainment was OK. Happy hour was between 16.30 & 17.30. Surprised how few people went to it.

Thomson reps very helpful.

The local bus stops outside the hotel. Puerto Mogan (about 45mins on bus no. 32) is worth a visit. Only cost 3.50 euros each way.

Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed 13 April 2008

Came back from a really happy holiday in Gran Canaria Princess.
The hotel, bedrooms, and all staff of all departments were really friendly. The food was great and a first time for us to have hot food in a spanish hotel and we have been to a few.
The bedroom was spacious, clean and comfortable.
The pool side entertainment was also very good and staff great.
Did't really use the bar at night as we went out, but it seemed really busy and the entertainment good and varied.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 April 2008

Having booked a late deal a week before Christmas, I went with an open mind with regards to some of the negative responses I read here. I wish now that I had listened to them and booked accommodation elsewhere. For £1300 for 2 of us over Christmas I feel that it was a total waste of money and it would have been far better to have booked a self catering apartment. We have stayed in 3 star hotels which are far superior to this hotel. We have also stayed in 4 star hotels which are far superior to the Gran Canaria Princess and we will without a doubt never return to this hotel. This hotel does not deserve the rating which it has and should be a 2 star. We are not a fussy couple but when we book a 4 star hotel and pay 4 star money for it, that is what we expect to get. Thomson seriously need to review this hotel and consider removing it from their Platinum brochure. We will return to Gran Canaria but not to this hotel. We did complain to the rep about the queuing problem and are awaiting a response months later, Thomson don't care about their customers! The restaurant was without a doubt the worst part of the hotel and the one thing which ruined it for us. We had paid for half board but only managed to eat breakfast and evening meal twice. The queues were horrendous, they looped around the ground floor and back again, it was like being back in school queuing up for dinner. After queuing for 20 minutes we gave up and ate out, this happened at breakfast and in the evening. At a guess this added an extra £250 onto our holiday cost for eating out at breakfast and in the evening. The breakfast we managed to have was ok, fresh croissants, pancakes, bacon and sausages of a fashion and eggs. The evening meal to be honest was awful, very bland and hardly any variety, not what you would expect from a 4 star. It consisted of a small salad section and a small meat section, usually pork and veal. The second morning when were managed to get in the restaurant we were shown to the table by the restaurant manager, we put out bags on the table and went to get out food. On our return a couple of a certain nationality had moved our bags and taken the table, they were incredibly rude and refused to move. The restaurant manager did not do anything to resolve the matter and as there were no other tables we had to leave the restaurant. We had also paid for the gala dinner on Christmas evening but no one had bothered to tell us that we needed to book so therefore we missed out! Save your money and stay elsewhere!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family