“Nice hotel but not for families”

IFA Continental Hotel
Ranked #23 of 135 Hotels in Playa del Ingles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel but not for families”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

We came here from 12th May until the 19th, myself partner and 20 month son. I will be completely fair with my review. Were not overly picky and appreciate this was a 3* hotel.

Check in was efficient, we arrived at approx 2pm, and were told to put our luggage in the room and go for lunch, then come back to check in. What we needed as we were hungry. Reception staff were very nice and spoke good English.

There was a good variety of food, and it was always hot. Not always to our taste but it was fine for 3*. One thing we didn't like was the choice of desserts. They all seemed to be very 'pastry'. Though there is an ice cream part which was nice. Breakfast, good choice. Didn't like the bacon, mushrooms or sausages and the sausages looked like little hot dogs. I do agree with ohers that the food is more catered to Germans.. however the majority of clientele were German so its understandable. There were 3 choices of eggs which were nice, croissants, toasties, pancakes etc so never short for choice. The toasting machine needs to be replaced, spend a long time putting your bread through over and over for it to toast, long queues here. We didn't really try many of the drinks as we spent alot of time out of the hotel, however tea and self service were good. Issue was however, there were many places to get drinks but only one station seemed to be open at a time.. which was frustrating at times. Beer is amstel which was good. Didn't like the sangria as bitter but thats person choice. We ate at the hotel for most of the days, did have something new each dinner time.. plenty of fish and meats, some nicer then others.

The location of the hotel is good, a few minutes walk to the beach, and nice walk down the promenade towards maspolamas... however BEWARE of the african women on the promenade, they all stand together and just wait to try and CON people as you walk past, they are there every single day without fail. They will approach you trying to shake your hand, asking where you are from. DO NOT let them near you, they will quickly put a 'lucky' band around your wrist, tell you they are blessing you etc. Fine. Then they will demand money of you rather aggressively.. if you refuse they will tell you, they are cursing you. These women are absolute cons, they are aggressive and really not nice people. We always hated seeing them as we knew we would be harrassed. Even saying no thank you and walking past they still stood together in a group and were aggressive. How these people remain there everyday i do not know. Luckily, i read reviews prior to going so knew to avoid. Seen to many people stopped and harrassed though. On one occasion, they tried to put a band on me whilst i pushed my son in his buggy, despite saying 'NO' clearly. Fortunetely she did not manage to get it on as I gave her an electric shock. Very satisfying, leaches.

The hotel is very clean, staff work very hard. We did find that our bedsheets weren't changed for 5 days as my son spilt some ice tea on them and so we noticed the stain was still there everyday for 5 days. Not overly bothered about this, but they shouldn't claim to change everyday if they dont. Maid did do a good job of the rest of the room though.

We were on the 4th floor so had a nice view of the sea, noise wasn't to much of an issue, though was some traffic noise. This was expected however as people are arriving all the time and we were over looking the entrance.

Overall good experience with the staff, staff in resturant always made an effort to fuss our son, always got us a high chair ready. Some of the staff did look a little moody at times, but the majority were welcoming.

Didn't watch any entertainment so can't comment on that, though animation team seemed hard to entertain around the pool.

Pool area very nice, though water quite cold. Was fine once you were in though, never had any issues getting a sun bed and the hotel do re-inforce their rules re: reserving sun beds. Seen a few towels removed whilst there, which is good. pool bar snacks were fine, though again alot of pastry! hot food was served there too, burgers, hot dogs, chips, toasties. Nice snacks when you need them.

Now the clientele, okay not the hotels fault, but my god some people were very rude. Shutting lift doors to let you in, why? others were nice though and made an effort with our son who ran round waving at everyone!

No aircon, but we all know this before we go. We didn't bother getting a fan as it wasn't unbearable. Just a little warm at night and the weather was very hot outside. The wifi is not good, just use the computers to make your life a bit easier.

Overall, this hotel is nice, I dont think it is suitable for families as there isn't any kids entertainment, and the majority of clientele are elderly. i think if we went as a couple, we would of had a much better time.

Room Tip: higher room the better
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank CFCRhodes
LopesanHotelGroup, Director de Relaciones Públicas at IFA Continental Hotel, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Dear guests,

Thank you for having left your review of our hotel.

We would like to thank you also for your suggestions. We will take them into consideration to improve our services.
In order to give more information about some point you have mentioned, we add that clients have the possibility to rent a air conditioning unit at reception.
Regarding to the entertainment for children, we inform that we have it during the main school holiday. For more information, please contact continental@lopesan.com

We would appreciate a lot to count with your visit in our hotel for your next holiday.

Yours sincerely.

IFA Continental Hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Dumfries, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

Myself and 3 of my friends (aged 19-22) stayed at IFA Continental from 17-14 May. We had gone All Inclusive, which I had never done before. I was a bit weary of this as I am a fussy eater, however, there was no issues at all with the food. There is plenty of choice even for the fussy and the food is brilliant, if a little repetitive but what else do you expect? The hotel rooms were spot on, a bit dated but very clean and the cleaners were in daily to change towels and bedsheets etc. Beds were comfy too. The staff in the hotel were all fantastic, especially the bar staff at night which we had a lot of banter with especially 'Bruno Mars'. Plenty of alcohol to choose from in the all inclusive and also... the cocktails (which you pay for) were to die for! Reception staff were always very friendly and happy to help. Pool area was stunning, only fault was the water was freezing and not enjoyable. The 'Jacuzzi' was so cold I couldn't even bring myself to go into it for a 2nd time. The hotel was very very lively and busy especially as it was gay pride week (we did not know about this before we went). The whole area is fantastic with everything on your doorstep. We only came back yesterday and are already looking again for August! Fantastic hotel!!!!!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lorii-Terii
LopesanHotelGroup, Public Relations Manager at IFA Continental Hotel, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Dear guests,

Thank you for having left your opinion about our hotel.

We are very pleased to know that you have enjoyed your holiday in our hotel and that our services and facilities suited your expectations.
We will pass your comments to our staff, because they help us to continue working with enthusiasm.

We appreciate to know that you are visiting us again in your next holiday and we are looking forward to welcoming you.

Yours sincerely.

Hull
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

Spent a week at the IFA Continental last October. We very much enjoyed it. The weather was brilliant, hotter than I expected, numerous days were over 30 degrees and never a day below 26/27.

Never really had any trouble finding loungers to sit on at the pool, there were plenty of people down at the crack of dawn for theirs, but if they're willing to get up that early for them, good luck. We found that to one side, there is a non-smoking area of sun beds, there were plenty there, due to the fact about 90% of the guests of the hotel seemed to smoke, I don't think the health implications of smoking have reached northern mainland europe yet.

The food was very good, neither of us had any trouble in finding something to eat at any meal, always loads of choices, better than I was expecting from an all inclusive really.

You could see the sea from our balcony, was probably 3 minute walk from the hotel. There are a few timeshare and bracelet sellers above the beach, which can get a little tiring.
Is round the corner from a bus station, we took a trip to Puerto Mogan which was very pretty.

The evening entertainment was hit and miss, well, probably more miss, there was a beatles act which was good, but also the longest game of bingo i've ever known.

There are plenty of bars not too far away, but these weren't really for us.

Would I return...........probably not, but not due to the Hotel, Playa del Ingles is a too touch benidormy for my tastes, if you like Irish bars and drag acts, or places to watch football and x factor then you might love it.

But if you want pretty much guaranteed good weather, decent food and you smoke/enjoy loooong games of bingo, this is for you.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Julian C
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

This has to be the best holiday I've had. The hotel is immaculate, the accommodation cleaned daily and all of the staff were helpful and friendly especially as my friend lost her purse, it was redelivered to our room 24 hrs later and not a penny was missing. Enjoyed it so much we only returned last Thursday and have rebooked for 7th May next year. Thank you to all the staff.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sara S
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

This hotel is about a 30 minute transfer by coach from the airport. It is clean and the food was hot, fresh, varied and delicious! It is nicely situated with shops and bars within walking distance. The heated pool was being refurbished while we were there but even this didn't spoil our stay! So, for anyone going now they should have a lovely new pool to try! The day time activities kept my 10 year old busy with boules, table tennis and pool side games. The evening entertainment was ok too. Althought carpets in the corridors may not be to everyones taste, believe me they cut down on all that 'clip clopping' up and down corridors, which usually drives me crazy! So although it may not look as nice as tiled floors it really is much quieter! I would definitely return.

Room Tip: We overlooked the entrance and didn't have a problem with any noise and had a lovely view of the...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Julie P
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

A friend and I (Both male) stayed at this hotel from May 10 - May 20 and what a lovely stay we have had. We arrived around 10pm and assuming we had missed all food around to our surprised after dropping our passports where told that some food had been made up for us and we was insisted to eat prior to any further check in. Straight away we were both surprised and what a nice gesture it was. What a great welcome and start to our holiday.

Upon return to check in, to my horror I had misplaced our Hotel Holiday Voucher. Which I had prior to the start of our outbound journey as I am very organised but for some reason this had vanished. Panic stations ahead and we both thought our holiday stay was over before it had begun. After help and much appreciated assistance from the check in manager this was rectified and we were allocated a room and off we trotted to the lifts....

Right I am going to try and keep to the facts now and try not to drift off the lines here and keep my review to hotel only.

BREAKFAST: Very impressive and very wide choice to pick from. From cereal, to continental, to fried breakfast this was all taken care of. Fresh fruit, Tea, Coffee, juice....My opinion for me....the best meal of the day.

LUNCH: Again a wide choice of all sorts of food something for everyone are the words that come to mind. I am a fussy eater but even I ate well and my friend well, it was plate after plate, so the food must have been good. Again a wide choice of deserts and a selective range of ice-creams. Wine, Bear, Soft drinks all available at self service points.

DINNER: We had noticed at some point during the day it was noted that Men, should wear long length jeans, trousers during this meal. Which we had no prior warning before booking...thank god we had some at hand. Anyway to our surprise we went in to eat and it was a 50/50 mix some man with trousers on and some even in their shorts. Very surprised. But as we appreciated the hotel request we chose to wearing long length out of respect. And in my opinion any one not wearing those should have been refused entry. However to their argument if you’re not notified of dress code before you book and pack this can’t be help. Right back to the food, again another lovely meal, well executed and a whole new range to choose from. At this point of the day the hotel offered those who did not stay at the hotel the chance to eat here at dinner time for 20 Euros.....what a bargain, all that food and drink. Very impressed and pleased we were all inclusive for the next day nights.

POOL AREA: Two pools, one large and one medium and even a smaller pool for babies. Love the Jacuzzi Pools too...three in total. Very clean and the poolside bar, not too busy and very welcoming to all.

SNACKS: Again very impressive. No sooner had we eaten breakfast there was food at the poolside bar being served. In my opinion an excellent selection should you have missed breakfast? And again snakes were served mid afternoon, this hotel sure made sure you eat well. During the day, Beer, Pop was all at self service points, anything stronger like Spirits were all served by the staff, very generous measures.

Moving on I have got to admit we were both very impressed with the politeness of the staff, very helpful. The cleaning service was top notch and we were given clean towels on a daily basis. Beds made, it appeared as the staff were forever cleaning.... a good thing though.

During our 10 nights at this hotel, towards the end it was gay pride week so the hotel did pick up with a lot of gays....not a problem as myself and friend are both gay, but it did get louder and we were glad to be going home a few days later. I have got to take my hat off to this hotel for their excellent management. During out last 3 nights a loud group of 4 lads had arrived, Young lads and the typical type....could not take their beer. Much to my surprise they were not English and in my opinion anti gay....which I just wanted to mention. An accident here happened, these guys were warned and from what we heard the next night another incident had happened following that this group was asked to leave. Good on the management as safety comes first. (Why book Playa del Ingles - for a holiday, a group of lads during gay pride week.....very confusing)

Overall our stay here was excellent cannot really fault much at all and if I did. I would be just being picky for the sake of it.

Oh yea, forgot to mention, this hotel is not really Child friendly so please avoid if you have kids. In our case not a bad thing as this was a selling point for us to book this hotel.

Anyone due to stay here will be given an excellent service. Some rules are set in place, but rules are there for a reason.....safety of others.

I would definitely book this hotel again and we have even thought about doing two weeks here next year...who knows...watch the space.

Wishing you all a fantastic stay here.... Thanks to Ang (A women who sat at the bar most nights....people watching and weighing every one up. Ang not her real name but she looked like Angela Rippon. Ang we were just as nosy as you :_))))) )
One last thing we need note a lot of single travellers here. So don’t be afraid to come!!!!!
James & Lee AKA Trout & Trout
Tengan unas buenas vacaciones.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank JAMESGRH2014NOTTINGH
LopesanHotelGroup, Director de Relaciones Públicas at IFA Continental Hotel, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Dear guests,

Thank you for having left your review in Tripadvisor.

We are very pleased to know that you have enjoyed your holiday in our hotel.

We would like to explain some points you have mentioned to add more information.
There is dress code in the restaurant. However, during the months of summer season we are more flexible and we accept also shorts for men. But our recommendation is long trousers for men. During winter season, long trousers are obligatory.
Regarding the children, we get many of them with their parents, specially on the main school holidays. Then we start up the animation and children's activities with our Panchi Club.

We will be pleased to welcome you again in our hotel in your next visit to our island.

Yours faithfully,

Boston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

booked a 10 night stay for a party 4 from 12th of may ,as we have stayed several times previously we weren't going to be put of by some of the previous negative reviews ie ignore the extreme good and bad and go with the vast majority in the middle ,the first six days were excellent pool area was were we spent the majority of our time ,it was kept clean and well maintained, animation team kept us well entertained all the usual games PAULINA is brilliant bar staff were great especially MARIA also made good use of the self service drinks the snack bar was surprisingly good and well presented .main restaurant served a good food again the staff were all excellent ,spent nights between lounge bar and the entertainment area some acts were good some not agree with remarks about bingo always found bar staff helpful especially MELIONA .very pleased with the way the first week went BUT on the sunday the peaceful atmosphere was shattered by large scale invasion of gays and lesbians we had forgotten it was the lead up to gay pride week they took over large parts of the pool areas and the pool itself with their foul language and sometimes disgusting antics in the pool this went on for three days no staff seemed to be able to sort out this problem until ourselves and groups of other guests complained to the Thomson rep ,within hours security staff arrived and somehow managed to sort the problem out by issuing warning letters being issued so why did we have to suffer three days of mayhem I had better mention my remarks are not directed at all the gay people in the hotel it was several groups of mainly younger people .to sum up we still like this hotel aall the hotel has to do is advise when gay pride week is next year so as we can avoid clashing with it

Room Tip: try and get a room with a sea view on the quitter side of hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple