“First experience of all inclusive”

IFA Continental Hotel
Ranked #25 of 135 Hotels in Playa del Ingles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We came here as a family of four with two adult daughters in the week running up to Easter. We made good use of the AI food and despite what others have said, never had a problem choosing something different to eat. We didn't use the poolside AI food much but the drinks were handy, although we resisted the temptation to over indulge unlike some guests.

I found it reasonably ok to find sunbeds at the pool although the prime locations had to be secured early if you want them. In Some areas around the pool the beds were very cramped together.

The entertainment was pretty good and only spoilt by the one or two loud individuals who overdid it on the inclusive booze and could not find their volume control.

As i said this was our first all inclusive and i have to say whilst it has its attractions, i would prefer to pay less, go half board, and buy my own drinks when i want them.

Overall, the staff were very helpful, the food and drinks reasonable quality, the location - pretty good for the beach and local facilities, bars, shops etc.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Paffmeisterr
Write a ReviewReviews (2,687)

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We arrived at the hotel on 12th May as a group of 3 couples aged between 25 -27.

This was our first time at the hotel so we didn't really have any expectations upon arrival. One thing I did immediately notice was that it has been recently painted to brown, which I thought was an unusual color for the hotel! Inside we went to check in and was advised that the lunch buffet was not going to be open for much longer, and so we should grab something to eat whilst they prepared our rooms. We put our luggage into a small glass room next to reception and headed to the buffet. The food selections there was not too bad at most times but being all inclusive we ate there a lot, and it became boring to the point where the thought of eating there again at any time of day was a bit unbearable! This caused our group to start going out for dinner towards the last few days of our stay. This is not because the food was not nice - just seemed to have the same things all the time.

For breakfast the selection basically is Cereal, fruit, the usual English breakfast items, and pastries with cheese!
Dinner was usually a lot of fish, pork and pasta type things.
We didn't really have lunch as we usually ate the snacks available in the all inclusive area near the pool, which had hot dogs, chips, chicken nuggets, and sandwiches.

At all areas the selection of all inclusive drinks was fizzy drinks (Pepsi, 7up, fanta, etc), Amstel (the only beer available), tea and coffee, a mixture of cocktails, red, white and rose wines and sangria.
There was a bigger selection at the indoor evening bar but I'm not too sure what you need to pay for and what is free as I didn't really drink cocktails or spirits.

Anyways, back to our trip. After lunch we went and got our rooms (129, 133 & 134). They were clean and spacious. They had a nice bathroom and was carpeted which I personally thought was unusual for hotels in most places I've been to, but a nice surprise. The first thing I did was go to reception to pay for Air conditioning. We had read online that this was €60 with an €20 deposit, and we even emailed the hotel in advance to ask about this, which was confirmed. When I asked I got a strange look from the lady on reception, who then told me that the hotel has no air conditioning. Not the biggest problem in the world but it did leave me a bit confused as to how we had been misinformed about something like this. In the end we ended up leaving our balcony door open all night to keep the room cool.

The room view was not the best. We overlooked the street in front of the hotel, however it is a very quiet area before the people for Pride turn up and start going clubbing! The TV was pretty useless as there is only one or two English channels and they are the news channels. Also if you go to channels above 20, our TV turned off after 30 seconds. Maybe you have to pay extra for them, but we wasn't really interested in TV anyway.

The guests did slightly get the mood down a bit! There was a lot of old people and I found some of them to be giving younger groups horrible looks as if we was out making trouble. We are well mannered people, we don't get too drunk, we don't go out clubbing, we keep to ourselves and are quite quiet, so why I was getting these looks was beyond me. Stupid old people! Maybe it was that they were mostly German and they hate English people? Also, I found some of them to be very selfish. We requested the football / basketball cage to be unlocked so we could have a kick about without worrying about hitting other guests with our ball. But as soon as we managed to get the reception guy to unlock the cage, we was bombarded with a bunch of old people who took over the whole cage to play bowls for 3 hours. This meant we had to leave as they took over the full cage and played the language card like they had no idea what we were saying about giving us just half of the cage to play too. Needless to say we never played football that day. This annoyed me a lot and reflected most of the guests that stayed in this hotel. Of course this is not the hotel's fault and it may have just been one bad group of guests.

Anyways, we pretty much ignored the guests and kept to ourselves so it didn't ruin our time.

As another guest has already mentioned, there is no fun allowed in the pools. They are for old people to relax and do water yoga. Inflatables, balls, or laughter will get you in trouble with the pool guard. We instead took to relaxing in the Jacuzzi with a few beers instead, which understandably gets you in trouble as well as no drinks are allowed near the pool. Another thing that bugged me a tad. It's hard to get sunbeds as guests throw towels on them at the crack of dawn despite signs advising not to do this. Anyway, one day comes were we had an hour to spare in the morning after breakfast so we copied everyone else and 'reserved' sunbeds before breakfast with our towels. Upon returning there was a nice little note from the hotel on each bed asking us not to do it. Thanks - what about the other 6 days of the week were we couldn't get a bed because the older guests 'reserved' them with there towels?

Moving on!

The evening shows were OK. More for the older guests and was usually quite short. The staff at the shows were great fun, and gave away a lot of prizes and certificates to people who took part in the sports, games and competitions that went on throughout the day. And every night they have a resident DJ that plays for a while. Usually sticks to the same 5 tracks and always puts on 'Gangsters paradise' for some strange reason!

Not much more to say really. The hotel isn't as bad as my review makes it out to be. It was more the guests. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. There is nearby shops and bars, and a short walk to the beach.

Gazzy's top tip - If you see the African ladies in the streets, they pray on tourists and will try to surround you, grab you arms and talk random crap in your ear whilst tying a cheap bracelet to your arm before charging you €7 for it. The best thing to do is to push right past them, don't let them get near and if they start talking put your hands over your ears and shout! I did this after having a few beers and it scared the lady away. I was happy and adopted similar tactics for the rest of the trip.
Also some of the people around the Kasbah center that try and get you into there bars will hurl insults at you if you walk away from them. How friendly! Just be aware.

I recommend Zig Zags Jeep safari as a day trip too. Funny, beautiful and very interesting. Just don't wear white!

The main thing to take from this review is knowing that I would definitely book this hotel again. For the bad things I mentioned, there are a hundred times more good things about this place.

Thanks for reading, have a safe holiday!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gary M
LopesanHotelGroup, Public Relations Manager at IFA Continental Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Dear guests,

Thank you for leaving your review of our hotel.

We appreciate the information you have given, however we would like to explain some things that could help to future guests.
We recommend to ask always first about prices, because they could change.
We apologize about the misunderstanding you had with the reception´s staff regarding to the air conditioning. We cannot give any explanation, but yes, you can rent an air conditioning unit at reception.
About the TV, there are channels with charge and channels without charge.
We do not allowed drinks in the pools in order to keep the water in the best conditions for bathing.
The reservation of the sunbeds is not allowed in the hotel and in the morning our staff removes those towels whose owner is not in the pool area.

We hope this additional information will help you to understand those points you have mentioned in your review.

We would be very pleased if you decide to come to visit our hotel in your next holiday.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We arrived at contiental on 12th may, hotel was lovely & clean, got our rooms straight away, reception staff were great, pool area was very slippy and we saw afew accidents through this,kids were'nt allowed swim rings etc.. No splashing or having fun in the pool or you were issued with warnings, as the germans complained about this, the resturant catered alot of different foods,although the waiters could of smiled, alot of germans and french who complained of ppl making noise around the pool area, would'nt advise this hotel for the young or children, was like an being in an old ppl's home for 10 days, although location is great for the beach & shops

• Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank Melanie H

Dear guests,

First of all we thank you for writing a review of our hotel.

We are pleased to know that you found our hotel to your liking, however and regarding to your comments about the pool area, we would like to say that we try to respect the relax and quietness of our customers in order to provide a pleasant stay to all of you.

We would like to welcome you in our hotel if you decide to visit Gran Canaria again.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 25 May 2014

My wife and I returned to the IFA Continental for a 10 night stay between the 12th and the 22nd May. This was our sixth visit to the hotel, so we pretty much knew what to expect.

Our last stay was two years ago, so the first thing we noticed was the change of colour to the exterior of the hotel. Personally, we prefer the old pink colour to the drab brown/black, but I guess the owners have their reasons for making the change.

When we arrived at check in our room was not ready, so we were advised to go into lunch and come back later. When we returned, we were given our key-card to room 162. We had previously asked the hotel if we could have a first floor room overlooking the pool, but the one we were given was on the opposite side to the rooms we normally have and instead of a pool view we had access to a large open patio area (above the dining room) with a number of sun loungers. This was great for getting a little extra sun after coming back up from the pool, but did mean that we had little privacy in our room, so we had to keep the doors/curtains closed most of the time.

The room itself was more or less the same as before, although it had been re-painted and now had a flat screen TV (Not that useful when you consider that they only have one English speaking channel – BBC World News. I now feel like I’m an expert on Africa and the troubles caused by Boko Haram!!) The beds were not that comfortable and the lack of air conditioning does still let the hotel down.

The food was good as always and the staff were very helpful and happy. It was good to recognise so many of them from our previous visits. The animation team worked hard and kept everyone entertained with their sports and games. We’ve always found the evening entertainment a little disappointing and there has been little change from our previous visits. We actually visited another hotel on our last night where my wife’s Sister and her husband were staying and even the ‘warm up’ entertainment was better than that provided in the Continental.

Now to our big disappointment.
The first half of our holiday was great, as we would expect from this hotel. However, the second half was spoilt by the large number of all male/female gay groups who had been booked into the hotel. We were not aware that the dates we booked coincided with the ‘Gay Pride’ celebrations in the resort, so the hotel began to fill with people who were visiting for the event.

This basically transformed the hotel from a quiet, relaxing hotel for couples and the more mature visitor into a club 18-30 hotel for young people wanting to party hard by day & night.

I’m not saying that they all acted in the same way, but generally speaking the behaviour of the people in these groups (mainly English I’m afraid) was despicable. They were loud, foul mouthed and their behaviour was totally inappropriate. I personally witnessed individuals simulating sex acts with each other and making other guests feel so uncomfortable that they had to move away from them, and every other word from their mouths appeared to be a swear word. Other guests we spoke to witnessed similar events, and some were even more graphic and disgusting than we’d seen ourselves.

The pool and security staff did their best to keep control over these activities, but I feel they were let down by the management who were totally ineffective in backing their staff up. One day, they called a manager down to speak to a group of young men who were annoying other guests and the manager just gave in and walked away, leaving the group chanting ‘Power to the Poofs’. We were told that the hotel had issued some people with warning letters, but saw little evidence of any improvements.

During the last 5 days of our visit we were constantly woken up in the early hours of the morning by drunken individuals coming back to the hotel with no consideration for other guests. At 5am on our last morning, I decided to confront a group of girls who had woken us up and were keeping us awake with their constant chatter in the corridor. After asking them to return to their room, I was given a mouthful of abuse prior to them running up and down ringing our doorbell like spoilt children. When I reported this at reception I was told that there was nothing they could do as I couldn’t provide them with the room number that the girls were staying in. When I asked if a member of security could look for them I was told yes, but the member of staff then just turned around and did nothing!!

In summary, this is still a nice hotel for the price you pay and I’m sure that apart from certain times of the year it’s still the hotel we’ve come to love over the past few years. However, the events of the last few days would certainly make us think twice about returning here again.

Room Tip: Avoid Gay Pride week
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank amcaso2

Dear guests,

Thank you for leaving your review of our hotel.

We are pleased to know that you have had a good holidays in the first part of your holiday and we would to apologize for the inconveniences you have mentioned in your review.

We would like to add some information that could help to other to know our hotel a bit better. Our rooms have no air conditioning, but guests are able to rent an unit at reception.

Regarding to your comments about the entertainment, we will inform to this department in order to improve the shows and the activities.

We would be pleased to welcome you again in your next visit to Gran Canaria.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We came here from 12th May until the 19th, myself partner and 20 month son. I will be completely fair with my review. Were not overly picky and appreciate this was a 3* hotel.

Check in was efficient, we arrived at approx 2pm, and were told to put our luggage in the room and go for lunch, then come back to check in. What we needed as we were hungry. Reception staff were very nice and spoke good English.

There was a good variety of food, and it was always hot. Not always to our taste but it was fine for 3*. One thing we didn't like was the choice of desserts. They all seemed to be very 'pastry'. Though there is an ice cream part which was nice. Breakfast, good choice. Didn't like the bacon, mushrooms or sausages and the sausages looked like little hot dogs. I do agree with ohers that the food is more catered to Germans.. however the majority of clientele were German so its understandable. There were 3 choices of eggs which were nice, croissants, toasties, pancakes etc so never short for choice. The toasting machine needs to be replaced, spend a long time putting your bread through over and over for it to toast, long queues here. We didn't really try many of the drinks as we spent alot of time out of the hotel, however tea and self service were good. Issue was however, there were many places to get drinks but only one station seemed to be open at a time.. which was frustrating at times. Beer is amstel which was good. Didn't like the sangria as bitter but thats person choice. We ate at the hotel for most of the days, did have something new each dinner time.. plenty of fish and meats, some nicer then others.

The location of the hotel is good, a few minutes walk to the beach, and nice walk down the promenade towards maspolamas... however BEWARE of the african women on the promenade, they all stand together and just wait to try and CON people as you walk past, they are there every single day without fail. They will approach you trying to shake your hand, asking where you are from. DO NOT let them near you, they will quickly put a 'lucky' band around your wrist, tell you they are blessing you etc. Fine. Then they will demand money of you rather aggressively.. if you refuse they will tell you, they are cursing you. These women are absolute cons, they are aggressive and really not nice people. We always hated seeing them as we knew we would be harrassed. Even saying no thank you and walking past they still stood together in a group and were aggressive. How these people remain there everyday i do not know. Luckily, i read reviews prior to going so knew to avoid. Seen to many people stopped and harrassed though. On one occasion, they tried to put a band on me whilst i pushed my son in his buggy, despite saying 'NO' clearly. Fortunetely she did not manage to get it on as I gave her an electric shock. Very satisfying, leaches.

The hotel is very clean, staff work very hard. We did find that our bedsheets weren't changed for 5 days as my son spilt some ice tea on them and so we noticed the stain was still there everyday for 5 days. Not overly bothered about this, but they shouldn't claim to change everyday if they dont. Maid did do a good job of the rest of the room though.

We were on the 4th floor so had a nice view of the sea, noise wasn't to much of an issue, though was some traffic noise. This was expected however as people are arriving all the time and we were over looking the entrance.

Overall good experience with the staff, staff in resturant always made an effort to fuss our son, always got us a high chair ready. Some of the staff did look a little moody at times, but the majority were welcoming.

Didn't watch any entertainment so can't comment on that, though animation team seemed hard to entertain around the pool.

Pool area very nice, though water quite cold. Was fine once you were in though, never had any issues getting a sun bed and the hotel do re-inforce their rules re: reserving sun beds. Seen a few towels removed whilst there, which is good. pool bar snacks were fine, though again alot of pastry! hot food was served there too, burgers, hot dogs, chips, toasties. Nice snacks when you need them.

Now the clientele, okay not the hotels fault, but my god some people were very rude. Shutting lift doors to let you in, why? others were nice though and made an effort with our son who ran round waving at everyone!

No aircon, but we all know this before we go. We didn't bother getting a fan as it wasn't unbearable. Just a little warm at night and the weather was very hot outside. The wifi is not good, just use the computers to make your life a bit easier.

Overall, this hotel is nice, I dont think it is suitable for families as there isn't any kids entertainment, and the majority of clientele are elderly. i think if we went as a couple, we would of had a much better time.

Room Tip: higher room the better
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank CFCRhodes
LopesanHotelGroup, Director de Relaciones Públicas at IFA Continental Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Dear guests,

Thank you for having left your review of our hotel.

We would like to thank you also for your suggestions. We will take them into consideration to improve our services.
In order to give more information about some point you have mentioned, we add that clients have the possibility to rent a air conditioning unit at reception.
Regarding to the entertainment for children, we inform that we have it during the main school holiday. For more information, please contact continental@lopesan.com

We would appreciate a lot to count with your visit in our hotel for your next holiday.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Myself and 3 of my friends (aged 19-22) stayed at IFA Continental from 17-14 May. We had gone All Inclusive, which I had never done before. I was a bit weary of this as I am a fussy eater, however, there was no issues at all with the food. There is plenty of choice even for the fussy and the food is brilliant, if a little repetitive but what else do you expect? The hotel rooms were spot on, a bit dated but very clean and the cleaners were in daily to change towels and bedsheets etc. Beds were comfy too. The staff in the hotel were all fantastic, especially the bar staff at night which we had a lot of banter with especially 'Bruno Mars'. Plenty of alcohol to choose from in the all inclusive and also... the cocktails (which you pay for) were to die for! Reception staff were always very friendly and happy to help. Pool area was stunning, only fault was the water was freezing and not enjoyable. The 'Jacuzzi' was so cold I couldn't even bring myself to go into it for a 2nd time. The hotel was very very lively and busy especially as it was gay pride week (we did not know about this before we went). The whole area is fantastic with everything on your doorstep. We only came back yesterday and are already looking again for August! Fantastic hotel!!!!!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lorii-Terii

Dear guests,

Thank you for having left your opinion about our hotel.

We are very pleased to know that you have enjoyed your holiday in our hotel and that our services and facilities suited your expectations.
We will pass your comments to our staff, because they help us to continue working with enthusiasm.

We appreciate to know that you are visiting us again in your next holiday and we are looking forward to welcoming you.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Spent a week at the IFA Continental last October. We very much enjoyed it. The weather was brilliant, hotter than I expected, numerous days were over 30 degrees and never a day below 26/27.

Never really had any trouble finding loungers to sit on at the pool, there were plenty of people down at the crack of dawn for theirs, but if they're willing to get up that early for them, good luck. We found that to one side, there is a non-smoking area of sun beds, there were plenty there, due to the fact about 90% of the guests of the hotel seemed to smoke, I don't think the health implications of smoking have reached northern mainland europe yet.

The food was very good, neither of us had any trouble in finding something to eat at any meal, always loads of choices, better than I was expecting from an all inclusive really.

You could see the sea from our balcony, was probably 3 minute walk from the hotel. There are a few timeshare and bracelet sellers above the beach, which can get a little tiring.
Is round the corner from a bus station, we took a trip to Puerto Mogan which was very pretty.

The evening entertainment was hit and miss, well, probably more miss, there was a beatles act which was good, but also the longest game of bingo i've ever known.

There are plenty of bars not too far away, but these weren't really for us.

Would I return...........probably not, but not due to the Hotel, Playa del Ingles is a too touch benidormy for my tastes, if you like Irish bars and drag acts, or places to watch football and x factor then you might love it.

But if you want pretty much guaranteed good weather, decent food and you smoke/enjoy loooong games of bingo, this is for you.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple