“Brilliant”

IFA Continental Hotel
Ranked #24 of 135 Hotels in Playa del Ingles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Lovely spaceous rooms very clean and excellent location. Quiet at night but close to nightlife and there are some lovely restaurants on the sea front near by. Food in hotel excellent lots of vegetables and salad and loads of different mains that varied every night. Excellent. Entertainment was great. Woman was very funny leading some of the nights and getting audience involved. Pool area is lovey as well lots of different areas to swim in and relax.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank boolon
Write a ReviewReviews (2,633)

Reviewed 3 August 2014

My husband and I have just returned from this hotel, we stayed for a week for our wedding anniversary. (There was a bottle of champagne and a card in our room). The hotel in its self is very good, the rooms are a bit dated as is some other parts of the hotel (entertainment stage for one). The staff were lovely especially staff on reception, they couldn't help you enough! The food was also very good, great choice and always hot. The soft drinks however were always flat so I stuck to drinking water. We felt that the only negative thing with the hotel is that the hotel grounds weren't big enough for the amount of people staying at the hotel. By the pool people struggled to get sun beds ( big queues at 7:30 to save a bed but towels get removed if you leave beds for a long time) and when it came to watching night time entertainment there was never enough chairs or tables so we went out every night. There was no fridge or aircon in the rooms which didn't bother us as we slept with balcony window open. The hotel could easily be a 4 star it just needs a bit of TLC! A lot of people not happy that all inclusive starts at 11am and finish at 11pm it didn't bother us but I can understand people not being happy.

Our thomson rep was great visited 6 days a week and was always there to help.

All in all if your looking for a cheap all inclusive hotel in a great place then this is the hotel for you. I would return but only if the price was right.

Room Tip: Get a room on 6/7 floor as they have extras.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lan_nico
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I recently returned from a week all-inclusive at this hotel and could not fault it. We booked through a relatively unknown travel agents and the usual doubts and anxieties crept in - but in retrospect there was no need to worry. The whole holiday was a great week, but the hotel itself stole the show.

We arrived to a cheery, polite and funny male receptionist (who I believe is the manager) who could not have put us more at ease in the first minute of being in the hotel. He offered to put our bags in the storage room before directing us to the restaurant to refuel whilst he processed our documents and got the room key ready.

Our room was basic but nice - just what you need for a room that purely provides a base to return to for a shower before dinner etc. The rooms were cleaned daily by polite, helpful cleaning staff - and after a couple of days our worries about leaving valuables around the room dissipated. During the week we were kept awake by the toilet cistern making a funny grinding noise. After trying to access the cistern but failing, we struggled to get back to sleep - but after mentioning it to reception in the morning, a technician quickly got it fixed and it wasn't a problem again.

The pool area was clean and tidy, and the all inclusive service is great - mainly self service with the exception of spirits and cocktails. Between meals the snack selection was same-y but, as with the room, was just what you need for the couple of hours between the meals - which were hugely varied with all of the comfort foods with plenty of Spanish/Mediterranean foods too. The restaurant staff were very diligent - an empty plate lasted about a minute before it was cleaned away.

I went to IFA Continental with my partner and we were initially worried about whether the hotel would be too 'kiddy', but again we needn't have worried. There was a separate children's pool where most of the families with small children tended to populate, which meant that the main pool and sun-bathing area was relatively quiet and calm. My only hang up with the pool area was the small number of beds in direct proximity to the pool - and the 8am rush to grab them.

All in all (before I write another dissertation length paragraph), we had a fantastic week at the IFA Continental, and the only reason I award 4* and not 5 is because of the basic (though pleasant) rooms and the pool issues I earlier mentioned. Apart from this, I could not fault it! Enjoy your stay, I will certainly be returning.

Room Tip: Our toilet made a funny noise that kept us awake for a full night, but was fixed as soon as we asked...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Josh H
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I travelled here as a single parent with my 9 year old son on his first holiday abroad. I booked this 5 days before travelling as a no frills package, but picked this particular hotel for it's large pool. The hotel is just on the entrance to Playa de Ingles and not in the noisy centre.
All of the staff are friendly and everything is kept clean, with clean towels everyday and beds made up. I picked half board and wasn't dissapointed, the food choice was really good but mainly European based. There was plenty of meat, vegetables, fish and fresh fruit every day. There was bacon/ egg etc or cereal for small kids for breakfast, or European cheese/ ham/ bread.
The pool is large but you are not allowed any balls or inflatables, a few complained but didn't get anywhere.
My original room was on the 1st floor, which seemed to consist of drunken teenagers so I asked to be moved, cost me 10 euros and I moved to the 5th floor on the front of the building. This can be noisy at night but I had earplugs which was fine. All of the corridors are carpeted but the doors are heavy and slam a lot of the time. My only complaint was my second room didn't have a hair dryer (they then said I had to pay 22 euros for it. I waited till the morning and complained to a manager who apologised and gave me a hairdryer for free.
The aircon was 60 euros which I didn't pay for, just left a small patio window open for air.
We travelled to Aqualand (if you rent a sunbed mattress you'll get a free waterproof wallet in return) and this is an excellent day out, (2.80 euros for 1 adult/child one way on bus). Take food with you if you can, there's long queues and it can mount up for a family.
We also went to the Camel Safari, this is good but quite scary on the coach, so avoid if you don't like heights! This includes a bbq.
We also walked down to St Augustin which seemed more family friendly and more self catering than hotels compared to Playa, plus the waves are awesome for the kids!
I was sold this as a family hotel, but as a single parent i would say it's more for couples and singles, there weren't that many kids there for my son to play with. I also didn't think the hotel's entertainment area was large enough for the amount of people staying there either and lot of people went out walking or just sat around. The main area around the hotel is fairly quiet compared to some resorts I've been to and there didn't seem much going on close by in the evening. I didn't feel comfortable having to travel far at night so we just walked along the sea front which was nice and cooling with the breeze.
I didn't buy any wifi for my room and I couldn't get the free reception wifi to work. There is a pc room which you can use but the screens are large so people looking in can see.
This is a good basic hotel but I wouldn't go back to this particular area for kids.

Room Tip: The main front facing is the noisiest as it's on a main road - take earplugs and go high floors...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank cheltlaydee
LopesanHotelGroup, Director de Relaciones Públicas at IFA Continental Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2014

Dear customer,

After reading your commentaries thoroughly we would like to apologize for those small details which have caused your holidays not to be as pleasant as they should have and that in some way we have not been able to come up to your expectations.
We always try to solve problems in the fastest possible way even if it is only a small one.
Please be assured that we have taken notice of all your commentaries and opinions, since our aim is to improve our services day after day in order to reach the complete satisfaction of all our customers.

We would be pleased to be able to welcome you again at our hotel, so that you may see in person how we are working to improve and reach service excellence.

Yours sincerely,
Public Relations

Reviewed 1 August 2014

We stayed for 10 days as a family of 5 with kids aged, 19, 18 & 8, and chose Playa del Ingles as it is a lively resort.

Cleanliness: Spotless! (including, amazingly the pool side toilets)

Food: best we've ever had, inc. 5*. lots of variety, only problem was never got hungry enough to truly appreciate it. Lots of fresh salad & fruit, different varieties of fish & carveries. We never used the snack bar food or afternoon cakes. Too full.

Location: excellent. very close to a beach and the promenade.10 mins walk to centre. lots of shops & bars/ restaurants nearby (if you need them)

Staff: Impeccable, polite & helpful

Hotel: fairly big, smart, nicely laid out, comfortable, beautifully landscaped pool area. I think the brown colour blended with the backdrop of arid hills.

Rooms: we had sea view on the 2nd floor. never used TV. Didn't need air con because we left (very safe) balcony doors open. Yes, there was noise from street & bars below, but I am the lightest sleeper and earliest riser but I slept like a log & could not wake before 8. Probably due to all day in the hot sun and lots of tasty food.

Sunbeds: The hotel has a strict policy of no towels left out before 8:30 and no toweles left on sunbeds for over an hour before 10 or they are removed. But they are losing the war. When we were there was a queue at 8am for the doors outside to the pool area to open (like Boxing Day sales) and people were quite crafty by reserving 5/6 sunbeds and taking it in shifts to have breakfast. People get very territorial about the plot they like. There would be enough sunbeds for all if people didn't reserve them for children who never lie down. This applied as much to the Brits as any other nationality. When we had a morning at the beach we struggled to find a sunbed in the afternoon, until other people left the pool (usually about 4ish). But you can stay by the pool until 7.

Entertainment: Our son loved Kids Club and daytime entertainment around the pool was very good. In the evening it was a mix of outside acts putting on a show or the reps doing some kind of games largely dependent on audience participation. We had mixed feelings about the evening entertainment,. the team were a bit hit & miss. There was also a long wait for things to get going.

Check out: We tried to keep our rooms on the last day as we weren't leaving until 7pm but they were booked out, so we were offered the use of a locked baggage room and the use of a dressing room with showers. Excellent facilities!

Negatives: Not hotel fault as it is a family hotel but most people there were young couples and I hoped as beginning of school holidays there would be more families with young children. A minor irritation was the fact that we could not get water from the pool bar until 11am and in the heat we were parched by then. Also our son could not get his kid's club prize as he needed 10 days worth of stamps and unless you stay a fortnight this is impossible (they close Sundays), and leaves a young children disappointed. We ended up buying it from reception.

Recommendation: Definately. One of the best hotels we've ever stayed in and more like 4* then 3*

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank richWestMidlands
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

I don't no why I've seen some negative reviews for this hotel. The staff are very friendly and the hotel itself is spotless! If you've thought about booking here do not be put off by other peoples bad experiences.
The animation team were excellent and provided activities for all the hotel to enjoy at certain times of the day i.e. Basketball, Football, Waterpolo, Table Tennis amongst other sports. There was always entertainment provided by the hotel at night which was great fun with a kids club before the main show.
We went all inclusive which I would highly recommend as the food was excellent with lots of variety, also there's the added bonus of the unlimited alcohol although that stops at 11pm which I thought was a bit early (Just stock up on drinks 15 minutes before 11pm)

Overall a very enjoyable holiday with great people and friendly staff.
You will not be disappointed!!

Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank Kristof1888
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Brilliant holiday staff where polite and friendly food was fantastic hotel was very clean only downside was we had to go home will deffo be booking to go back next year realy great place to visit and loads to do from water sports to visiting different parts of the island i recomend the sand dunes but a void the black women on the sea front they are con artists apart from that best holiday iv had

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends