“Fantastic holiday cant wait to go back” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel HL Rondo

and 1 more site!
Hotel HL Rondo
Ranked #40 of 135 Hotels in Playa del Ingles
“Fantastic holiday cant wait to go back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

Have just returned from Il Roundo Aparthotel and what a great time we had, our holiday was booked only 3 weeks before so had to take what we could find (as we are a family of 5 kids 14, 12&10 wanted us to stay in accommodation together and have things for them to do) what a find was brilliant..
Hotel lovely,very clean , 2 pools, 3 bars, large restaurant with huge selection of food inc seperate chinese section in evening snd separate grill restaurant at other hotel,we were all inclusive so 10.30-10.30 all meals drinks,afternoon tea and cake,food great diet starts today,full use of sister hotel Milfour Suites, fantastic helpful staff esp the barman Jose & Mr Birmingham lol..
And lastly the entertainment team Aitor, Paloma, Linda & Bruno who work tirelessly to entertain the children and adults alike, mini club, stretching, aqua gym, aqua volleyball, ,darts archery etc, mini disco everyday and many different shows , animal shows, acrobats, fashion show,white party,tropical show, karaoke, some audience participation Thank you had a great time x x
So over all excellent holiday, hope to be back x x The McNallys Mister Mister

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Irene M

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Polish first
Bedford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

If you are thinking of staying at the Rondo, it will be worth reading the Miraflor reviews too as you get access to the bungalows at Miraflor.

We stayed for 10 nights at the end of July 2013 as a family of 5 with 3 children (10 year old twins and an 8 year old).

Rooms - the rooms were fine, we only really used them to sleep in as we were All Inclusive so didn't have to cook etc. There was no air conditioning but we were quite lucky as the sun only shone onto our balcony for the first couple of hours of the day so the room never got overly hot and was bearable at night (we were above the pool bar). It was also quiet too.

Food - food was good, although got a bit 'repetitive', though I have not done an All Inclusive where the food does get 'repetitive'. The Chinese restaurant is very good and the restaurant at Miraflor is also worth booking. You can get snacks at the Miraflor pool bar in the afternoon, mainly hot dogs, burger and chips. My main criticism is that ice cream is not included in the All Inclusive package which was not great for our kids.

Staff and Service - probably the best part of this hotel. Nothing was too much for the reception staff from booking taxi's, advising bus routes, giving wake up calls and all with a smile on their face. The entertainment staff were great and worked really hard to get people involved. Our children have never been ones to get involved with children's clubs, but they loved it here, probably due to the personal touch given by the staff. It is only a small hotel so the staff can get to know the clientele. I read on the Miraflor reviews that the staff only liked the German guests, this is absolutely rubbish. The barman is from England for a start (and gets to know your tipple and will have it ready for you without the need to ask - yet again, the personal touch), and we never felt discriminated against ever. There were only a few English guests but everyone was really nice and we met some lovely people from Germany and Holland.

Entertainment - not the best I have to say, but adequate for the size of the hotel. The children's mini disco is the same every night which got a bit boring, only so much chu chua I can take. The evening entertainment was done by the staff on some evenings and by outside entertainers on other days. It felt the entertainers they got in were more sales orientated. There was a bird show and parrott show, but the aim was to get you to buy photographs afterwards. They got my son on stage during the bird show and then told me not to take photographs, which really irritated me. They then do their official photos with the guests and try and sell them for ridiculous prices.

Pool/beach - we mainly went to the Miraflor pool. Always sunbeds available which was good and lots of shade too. The Rondo pool was also good but more open and it was much harder to find shade until late afternoon. The hotel provide a bus to the beach, but it is only a 15 minute walk anyway. The beach is okay, and the sea was quite 'wavy' when we went.

Overall - Really pleased by our choice of hotel and would recommend it particularly for families. If you don't mind a quiet hotel with few English people then this is for you. It is only a small hotel but that means you get the personal touch from the staff which really make the holiday.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank jambamx
Torquay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2013

We stayed here for one week in April. The staff were friendly and very helpful. When we went to our room it was very clean but the rubbish bin had not been emptied, it was overflowing. We went to the reception and told them. The gent was very apologetic. Immediately he was on the phone and the problem was solved. The food was good and there was plenty of choice. It was a very pleasant walk to and from the beach.
The pool at the hotel was great there was always sunbeds vacant. It may be different in the middle of the summer.The pool was cleaned every morning.
The only complaint with the resort was the amount of people trying to get you to buy holidays. They say it is not time share but it is a similar thing. You do not want to be hassled when on holiday.

Room Tip: Rooms looking over the pool area.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank joy361
Glasgow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2013

We stayed here for 1 week in the middle of April, and overall I would say that we did enjoy our stay, however I think that there are some areas the hotel could really improve on.

THE GOOD-

The staff are friendly, courteous and efficient. From check in to check out I could not fault the service we received. The rooms are large and spacious with plenty of storage and large bright bathrooms. Overall the entire hotel was spotless- if looking a little tired. The food was of a reasonable standard- with the barbecue restaurant at the Miraflor and the Chinese buffet at the Rondo of a higher standard than the main buffet restaurant. We found the pool at the Miraflor a better option as it was beautifully planted with better loungers than at the Rondo and had better shade. The activities ran by the animation team through the day were of a good standard with yoga and aquafit, but if you didn't want to join in you we're not pestered.

THE BAD-

No air conditioning in either the rooms or the communal areas/ restaurants. For us this was by far the worst feature of this hotel. Granted it was unseasonably warm for April with temperatures going up to 35 degrees and temperatures of 24 at night. We thought it would not be an issue as it was April- we were wrong! I don't know how anyone can stay in this hotel during July or August! The temperature was unbearable at times in the restaurant, and this could have been helped by opening some doors/ windows particularly at lunch time when we were trying to escape from the midday heat. We saw a lot of people fanning themselves so it was obviously not just us! We preferred to eat breakfast and dinner in the back room of the restaurant where the Chinese buffet is because it was substantially cooler than the main restaurant. For some reason this area was shut off at lunchtime, presumably to prevent the staff having to clean it- during one of the hotter lunchtimes we asked if we could move through the open doors to this area and were told that it was not allowed and the staff shut over the doors adding to the uncomfortable heat. If this area had been open at lunchtime it would have really improved our lunch experience. Also some outdoor seating that could be used at mealtimes would have improved this hotel substantially- I mean it is Gran Canaria- it is warm enough to sit outside comfortably all year.
The temperature in the rooms was unbearable at night time so we had to sleep with the balcony doors open. Unfortunately our rooms faced onto an extremely busy road and this meant it was very noisy from very early in the morning. We considered asking to move room but as the hotel is on the corner of two busy roads, we did not think moving would help. I had read on this site that pool view rooms are quieter, but as these rooms are south west facing I think they would have been even hotter than the north facing rooms we had.
The beds were the worst beds we have ever slept on. They were very hard- We have a reasonably hard bed at home so hard beds are not normally an issue but these took the biscuit! Every morning my partner had to lie on the floor for a while to stretch out his back and by the end of the week I thought I would have to visit a chiropractor! Coupled with the heat and the noise, I would estimate that we managed about 3 hours sleep per night- not what you want during a relaxing holiday!
The pool at the Rondo was quieter than at the Miraflor and we would have used it if it was not for the sun loungers which, for reasons best known to the hotel, cannot be adjusted to sit up for reading etc meaning you had to lie flat. Maybe the loungers were only for sleeping as it was the only sleep guests are likely to get! As I have already mentioned, the loungers were much better at the Miraflor, which meant that the majority of guests went there making the Miraflor pool pretty crowded. You had to be up early to get a bed with a parasol.
The beach was about 20 minutes walk away, which normally I don't mind- But as I will explain later, the resort is not a pleasure to walk through. There was a free bus from the hotel but it was only once every couple of hours and we don't really like to be tied to a timetable when we are on holiday so we didn't use it.
Another bad point is that the all inclusive drinks stop at 10.30pm which is much earlier than any other AI hotel I have ever visited.

THE UGLY-

Just a word of note about the resort itself. We last visited Playa Del Ingles around 10 years ago and knew that it was not pretty. We probably would not have chose to visit it again, but were overruled by the rest of our family. I had hoped that the resort would have improved but it was exactly the same as it was 10 years ago and, I fear, has been the same since the 1970's. I would describe it as a concrete jungle and although there is plenty to do at night time, all the nightlife is located around shopping centres which made me feel as if we were drinking in a supermarket every night. The Yumbo Centre is the closest one to the hotel and has plenty going on- not all of it to my taste after 11pm- but each to their own! It reminded me of Cumbernauld shopping Centre. For those of you not familiar with Cumbernauld- it won the ugliest town centre award for years due to the amount of concrete and bad architecture!

Overall- I know my review could be regarded as harsh, but we did have a good time. With a few easily sorted improvements this hotel could be a lot better. For the money we paid- it was really cheap- the hotel was fine however I would have probably rather paid slightly more for better facilities and a better location. We would not return to Playa Del Ingles and unfortunately, despite the great staff, we would not return to the Rondo.

Room Tip: Pool rooms are quieter but will be hot. Road facing rooms are cooler but noisy.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Laurapants1
HotelesLopez, Headoffice Hoteles Lopez at Hotel HL Rondo, responded to this review, 29 April 2013
Dear Hotel Rondo guest,

thank you very much for your opinion.
We appreciate very much your comment and wanted to inform you that in 2014 the Hotel Rondo will be refurbished including air condition for all rooms.

Wishing all the best for you and your family we remain with

best regards,
doolin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2013

We return every year to this wonderful hotel.
All the staff are wonderful but ~Juan in the bar and Jerry in the activity club are the best.
They greet us so well and both provide a great service to all the guests.
The buffet in the restaurant is varied and good for both adults and kids.
The rooms are well serviced and clean.
We are planning already for next year.
Room 215 in February

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank CeciliaDoolin
HotelesLopez, Headoffice Hoteles Lopez at Hotel HL Rondo, responded to this review, 5 April 2013
Dear Hotel Rondo guest,

thank you very much for taking your time and letting us know your opinion about holidaying with us.
We appreciate very much that you are so reliable and return every year!
Wishing you all the best, we remain with

best regards,
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013

My stay at the Rondo did not start well. Due to an "overbooking situation", I was given a studio in the Liberty Apartments next door which was not a good start to my holiday . This is despite the fact that I phoned a week before to check that all was OK with my booking as a similar thing happened to me a couple of years ago with this hotel.I also understand from a member of staff that overbooking here is quite common.
Despite this, I have to say that the remainder of my 3 week stay at the Rondo was very good. The staff, from the front desk to the catering/bar staff and cleaners are charming and very helpful. Due to the problems with my first night i was given a larger "family room" which although the furnishings have seen better days, was very comfortable. The restaurant is large and very informal with a good selection of hot and cold dishes plus a great Chinese buffet. The pool at the Rondo is small but I used the one at the Mirador which shares facilities with the hotel and is much better.
Overall a very pleasant stay. I would however recommend that anyone who is booked here phones a couple of days to check that all is OK with their reservation. Despite really enjoying my stay I shall be reluctant to book again due to the overbooking situatiom

Room Tip: pool facing, avoid the road facing rooms
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank UK10143
preston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

Have just stayed at the Rondo for 10 days. Been many times before and know what to expect. On arrival we were put in a bungalow/ miraflor side for one night. I have wondered what these are like as they are 4 *. They have been refurbished to a superb standard, but lack the views of the main hotel and give a lack of privacy. The family room that we had for the rest of the stay is very nice but is showing its age. I presume it will get a refurb sooner than later. You get used to more facilities , not sure how it would cope if you had to cook meals. We have been spoilt by upgraded hotels with more superior rooms. Balconies are small. Food ,whilst plenty of choice for meat eaters, lack inspiration of a hot vegetarian dish on most nights. The rooms for some reason were expensive in January, much cheaper normally. Not sure if we would stay again until it has an upgrade. The main asset of this hotel is its friendly reception and catering staff which lifted any. Most people would complain about lack of air-conditioning...not needed in January though.

Room Tip: If you like sunny balconies you need to ask, as at some times of the year a lot of them have little...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel Neptuno Gran Canaria
Hotel Neptuno Gran Canaria
#12 of 135 in Playa del Ingles
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,173 reviews

Been to Hotel HL Rondo? Share your experiences!