“Annual jolly”
Review of Rey Carlos

Rey Carlos
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

It's wonderful we are on our second day our room/suite is superb 301 view is amazing because we are on the corner, food is scrummy , half board, it's so clean the staff are friendly specially Manuel?? The barman. I'll update at the end of our stay but so far spot on!! I'm glad I took no heed of previous reviews, we are pretty hard to please but we are more than satisfied , chuffed !!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Michele S

Reviewed 27 February 2014

This an old-fashioned hotel with old fashioned values, staff and service. If you want something fancy and modern, go somewhere else! I work in travel and I would call it a good 3* hotel. We were there during February Half Term and hotel was pretty quiet with mostly elderly German clientele. Breakfast and Dinner Buffets were not luxurious, but good and tasty. Probably not great if you are vegetarian, but you could apply that to the whole of Spain! Pool was not new or heated, but well maintained. Rooms were a good size for Gran Canaria and well cleaned. I would not hesitate to return or recommend to others as a quiet, well located and good value traditional hotel. Wifi was chargeable but reasonably priced.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Gr00by
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

Awful...awful...awful. Dated. Should be bulldozed to the ground and im being generous. Worst hotel I have ever stayed in. All incl....what a joke. Pool bar chargeable. ...main bar chargeable. All inclusive bar opens at 9pm for 2hrs. You have been warned

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank David R
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We stayed 2 nights in Hotel Rey Carlos.
First of all at 16.40h it took the
30 minutes to check us in, incredible.
We had a suite, the room was quite large, but everything very old, it should have been renovated since at least 10 years, the beds were certainly very old too.
All this hotel has to be renovated completely, swimmingpool not in a good shape either.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank clementineWavre
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Despite advertising the "suite" we booked as having a kitchenette, there were no pans with which to cook. I spoke to the receptionist who said that that was normal as this was a hotel, not an apartment. It was indeed everything an apartment in Playa del Inglés is. It had plates, knives, forks, spoons, a fridge, 2 rings etc etc, just no pans!

We had breakfast in the 'hotel' and it was very poor. The coffee and fruit cordials (not juice) were undrinkable, many people bringing their own pots of coffee down (made in their coffee machines from their "non-kitchen").

The decor was very shabby. We had holes in the arms of the sofa and chairs with the stuffing literally coming out.

One can live with these things when one pays a relatively small amount of money, but for €850 for one week for 2 people this really sticks in the throat.

We go to Playa del Inglés 5 or 6 times a year but we will not be returning to Rey Carlos.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BrightonBearBrighton
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I stayed here in November 2013 - having been to Gran Canaria several times and wanting somewhere centrally located for the beach and the nightlife.

Despite some of the negative reviews I read beforehand, I decided to give it a go. I arrived around 8pm after a very long day and flight from England. Unfortunately, I had purchased a package holiday and was not aware that the hotel had to be paid for on arrival. This obviously caused concern because to my mind I had already paid for the whole holiday.

So you can imagine my surprise when the receptionist asked for another 600 euros!

Anyway, rather than attempt to resolve this in any way, the exceptionally rude man on the desk was saying there was nothing he could do to help and I would have to use my mobile phone to call the agency etc. Thanks! (Yet, the room was already reserved in my name etc)

To cut a long story short, I managed to get hold of a friend in England who rang the agency who then confirmed that only flight money had been taken, so I was able to pay the man and finally get my keys, put my bags down, use the toilet etc. Considering i'd not even seen the room, I thought his complete insistence on full upfront payment was a little bold to say the least.

The room was actually really nice and clean. The balcony looked onto a pool....and then the main road, but I was quite high up so not too noisy. The breakfast, however, left a hell of a lot to be desired and getting there after the first hour = scraps. It just generally seemed like a hotch-potch of fried 'stuff'.

I found, too, that reception staff often needed to be prodded into activity. I lost count of the times I had to shout to get them out of the office. Sometimes I thought I should hop over the counter and help myself.

I can't really comment on the entertainment side of things as I more or less used the hotel only to store my things and get sleep. It sounded like people were having fun though and the music seemed pitched toward an older crowd.

If good service isn't a priority you, then I can recommend this hotel on the basis of location and neighbouring facilities. (Spar directly across road for example) but, believe me, you can do a lot better for less money in Playa del ingles.

Room Tip: If you are facing the road, pick a room higher up to reduce noise,
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Colin P
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Booked into Rey Carlos.
Arrived and surly elder man on reception was unhelpful.
Took my passports and handed me blank piece of paper to sign made out in Spanish?
On enquiry what this was he said for Local Police, I protested that I did not see and mention of Police.
Just grabbed the room Key back of me and said that go elsewhere if you don't want to sign. I protested that he had taken my passport and wanted me to sign a blank form, he replied go else where if you want. In desperation I singed a blank form which I did not understand.
Two Staff in restaurant surely require retraining in customer relations
Pool area well kept but pedestrians walking/gawking on public road made life uncomfortable.
Hire of TV room remote and internet access a little rich .
Very poor bar service .
Rooms while dowdy are clean with good maid service.
Prior to a revisit I will take German classes as all German spoken.

Room Tip: Learn German prior to your visit Be prepared to hand over passport at reception and sign a...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends