“Basic but OK” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #107 of 135 Hotels in Playa del Ingles
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Basic but OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

Stayed here in September 2011. First impressions were "God what have we walked into here".
The Reception was closed and all was in darkness we had to phone a night Security guard and wait 40 minutes for him to come and give us our room key. We had to use our mobile phone as a torch to find the room as none of the lights worked. The Building work next door is extensive and as others have said it is long term and they start at around 7am until approx 18:00pm with lots of drilling and hammering so if you like it peaceful be warned! and just as a bonus they have now started building refurbishment on the neighbouring hotel on the other side of Fayna as well. Fayna itself could do with some maintenance with virtually everything electrical hanging off the wall in our room, lots of cracked/uneven floor tiles and the TV/Video seems to have been ripped off the wall in reception.
A couple of unwritten rules for the unsuspecting visitor
1. You have to put the key card into the holder just inside the door if you wish the lights to
work. (not the problem we had mentioned above)
2. Do not move the combination dial on the security box and do not use the manual key
more than once to lock/unlock or you will not be able to open the box.
3. There are no english TV Channels provided so do not bother paying for the remote
control.
The plus points are that the staff (especially the receptionist) are very friendly and helpful.
The pool is nice and no problem getting a sunbed.
The location is very good and very handy for the beach and Yumbo centre.
As others have said if you can get a good deal it is basic but worth staying at.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Finnish first
Barcelona, Spain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

Once again, if you find a good offer for this apartment, I mean a very good price offer, then go and book it... But there are other apartments in the area for same price and better facilities.
When arrived to apartment for my 7 nights stay, everything seems to be nice at reception, got a two bedroom apartment instead of one bedroom, nice lady checked me in...
But just a couple of hours later had an unbelievable story which basically left me out of the flat for around two hours with food shopping bags and not sure about where to spend the night.
I am a very easy going person, been in many kind of different hotels and apartments, so I´m used to all sort of "surprises", but what happened in this hotel exceeded all of that.
I don´t want to put anybody´s job at risk, so better not to mention more about the story.
But honestly, you may be lucky and not experience none of the above, but even so, I know the area quite well and believe me when I say: There are other places for same price or cheaper than are just much nicer.
Hope they don´t charge to anybody the 95 Euros Rack Rate they are showing around the corridors...
Only book Fayna if there are not more options or you are extremely in a budget, otherwise, try other apartments around.

Be aware of long term construction works just next door of apartment. If you are a night owl and like to sleep during the morning, forget about it.

I´m sorry but won´t be coming back to these premises and would never recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Playa del Ingles hotels

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2011

sorry for late review! stayed here in June, booked a studio upgraded to one bed, brilliant location just around the corner from supermarket and Yumbo centre, receptionist was so nice, (i have stayed many times in GC but she was the best and most helpful I have ever met) room was spotless and cleaned nearly everyday, I would highly recommend staying here! just booking my next stay now! this is definately the best I have stayed in GC!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Andrew W
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

It's situated next door to a building site, so in the mornings and impossible to use the pool during the day, as a gigantic machine pounds into ground all day.
When I arrived the reception was closed with no way to check in, they provided a telephone number to call a local area security guard, which was written above a telephone in the reception, but did not work. In the end it took me about 2 hours to check in.
When I arrived in the room the bathroom was filthy and unclean, I complained in the morning and due to this the cleaners childishly took my bank cards and threw them in their dustbin, fortunately I was in the apartment at the time and decided to look for my bank cards and discovered they where missing, I found them in their bin placed outside the front door. I complained to the reception about their conduct and due to this the cleaners never cleaned my room again, including emptying the rubbish.

The the electric consumer box had a load humming noise so it was difficult to sleep, I complained but they did nothing.

I have travelled all over the world and never experience such a hotel with such terrible staff.

I complained to hotels4u.com about the hotel, but even though they advertise they are part of the Thomas Cook Group, they are not ABTA bonded and therefore you have no protection or come back. Once you complain they tell you they are a completely separate company to Thomas Cook, which is contrary to their misleading advertisement and subsequently rebuff any complaint and treat customers as badly as Fayan Apartments

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank richRoy
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2011

We booked this as a cheap break in the sun, and that's exactly what it was. We booked the flights, transfer and accommodation separately. We arrived at the Fayna just after 8:30pm on a weekday evening to find the reception was closed and the hotel gate locked so we had to phone the on call security guard, who came to check us in. This was not ideal, but to some extent understandable as it was fairly quiet (only 14 of the 40 apartments occupied) and the Fayna, like many hotels in that area, is booked by German tour operators. The apartment was basic but adequate. Kitchen/living area, bedroom and bathroom, plus outside balcony or if you're on the first floor a terrace which adjoins the pool area. The cleanliness can't be faulted. The ceiling fan in the bedroom was not effective - I imagine that during July/August the heat must be unbearable. The beds were ok, but not great. The safe costs 15EUR for the week (plus a 20EUR deposit for the key) - I hate this - why not have a comination safe and just include it in the cost of the room? The TV remote is something like 10EUR for the week plus a 2EUR deposit, but you don't need it because you can use the buttons on the front of the set to change the channel. The kitchen is fine considering you'll be eating out most of the time, although working out the quickest way to boil water on the halogen hob was a challenge. The glazing on the patio doors and windows is extremely thin, which is common in the resort, so kids should be supervised. The pool area was good for the size of the hotel. There was some building work going on in the next but one hotel which made it noisy outside during the day. Nights were generally pretty quiet compared with what I'd expected. The service at Fayna was generally ok and helpful although the reception hours are limited (0900-1300 then 1600-2000). The location is good, about 5 min walk from the Yumbo Centre in one direction and the beach, with its incredible sand dunes, in the other. There are 2 supermarkets at the Sandia Centre round the corner of which HiperDino (second left when walking up to the Yumbo) is the more reasonably priced and superior choice. The number 30 bus to Las Palmas stops almost outside HiperDino (about 5EUR each way). There are steps everywhere in the hotel and the resort - I wouldn't recommend it to people with walking difficulties. By all means come to Playa del Ingles, but if you're expecting it to be classier than a low-rise version of Benidorm, you'll be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask to be on the second floor or above if possible