“A most excellent holiday!”

Basement Studios Gran Canaria
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We really had a great time at the Basement Studios. Despite travelling to Gran Canaria in the "off" season, there were plenty of people running around the hotel all day long. The pool area was full of day visitors and all of the bungalows were full for the week that we were there. I love the fact that this is a perfect alternative to making the trek on the beach. We did the beach a couple times, but I actually preferred hanging about the pool.

I would not say that this place is for 20 somethings. It appears to be a 30/35-on up type of hotel (for that I was very grateful). The age-range and type of guys was all over the map. Although, depending on the season (we arrived in "sun bathing" season as opposed to "party" season), I would imagine the clientèle changes quite a bit.

The hotel grounds were immaculate and constantly cleaned. The "play" areas in the back were well maintained and also cleaned daily. The pool was small, but lovely and although the sun-bathing loungers seemed a bit flimsy, they were sufficient and comfortable. For those wanting to avoid too much sun (such as this fair-skinned bloke), there are plenty of umbrellas to create some shade. There is a little bar on the premises that also makes some easy food. The food is delicious and both the food and drink are reasonably priced.

The hotel staff were very accommodating for breakfast in the morning. They made us fresh eggs to order, toast as well as offered a full-English breakfast. Actually, the entire staff was extremely friendly and helpful throughout our entire stay.

Word of advice to couples who are muscular and/or on the "bigger" side. Beds are typical Spanish beds--they are NOT wide and not really long as well. If you need extra space because you don't want to be constantly touching all night long, go for two beds. That being said, they were firm and comfortable for us.

I don't give it a perfect rating simply because I feel the rooms need a bit more updating. Where they were exceptionally clean, I'd just like to see some more attention to simple things that would help justify the price that is charged. For example, soap holders in the bathroom--more storage in the bathroom (we're gay after all!)? Better water pressure in the barthrooms? The electric cooker only half worked, etc. That being said, the beds were comfortable. The TV was decent (although we just had it on for a few minutes), the location is ridiculously convenient to the Yumbo.

The ambience is wonderful at the place. Very free and relaxed. The men seemed to play nicely together. I think the couples had a bit of an easier time than the solo's. If you're going there alone... get involved! Talk! Make friends. Otherwise, you'll have a miserable time.

We really enjoyed this place. The owners and staff seem to keep on fixing it up. I really appreciate that. And yes, we'll definitely make our way back there next year!

Room Tip: Rooms 1, 3 and 5 have a few steps up and have a nice view of the boiz. Rooms 2, 4 and 6 have a porc...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jsdDuss

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Had a great time at this male only resort in the centre of Playa del Ingles. The staff were very friendly and attentive the place is very clean and tidy, the beds were comfortable and cleaned daily. The food was also very good.

Room Tip: Male only resort
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Gayboi
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We recently stayed here in our usual bungalow during Pride, so the place was full of friends made during previous visits, plus popular with day visitors.

Still the same attentive and hard-working staff, still spotlessly clean.

A lot of fun was had :)

Thanks ever so much Mattaius, Phil, Chris, Scott, Raul, Daniel, Carlos and Estaban - see you later in the year !!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andy_and_Mark
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Well I decided I'd stay again at basement! All I can say is that I've had a excellent time yet again, nothing was to much trouble. I didn't bring my laptop with me and they let me use one of their office computers and contacted the airline for me when I lost my boarding card. I count recommend this place enough. Genuinely nice people who took me under their wing

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Carl N
Reviewed 18 May 2014

The staff are the same as last year which shows they are happy, the facilities have had a touchup, not to keen on the back area as plastic sheeting has been added which creates a clammy area in the heat of the day.
The sunbathing areas suits most guys, when I was there, it was a mixture of single and couple and all are made welcome. This private area for guests and residents makes very relaxing, while I was there especially one day the guys in that day had me laughing all day, a great place to Have Fun.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Snagglepuss2013
Reviewed 9 May 2014

A great resort - it was safe, clean and very relaxing. The staff was incredible - nothing was too much trouble and they were super friendly. Breakfast each morning on my terrace was really nice and despite some of the comments from other reviewers on price, I thought it was reasonable considering other local bars.
A warning to any singles travelling here - I made the mistake of assuming from the photos and information on their website that this was a singles-friendly resort. I stayed for four days and was the only single person there for most of the time, including day visitors. The majority of customers were couples in their 50s and 60s. The atmosphere was not as I'd expected based on the website. It seemed that men in relationships were there simply to look around and relax. This was nothing to do with the staff, just be aware if you're looking at this place that you might not be made very welcome by other guests if you're alone.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank scottinthesky
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Very friendly reception and every help was provided on arrival. The accommodation is good. The room was clean and comfortable, and my sleep was not disrupted by any noise etc. Just to know that this is a 'men-only' venue and non-gay men may not be comfortable in the environment.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo