We (two adults, one 10 year old girl) stayed here for two weeks from the middle of July and had the best holiday you could hope to have. Ignore some of the poorer ratings that this place has (which seems to be largely due to the fact that some people stayed here during gay pride), if you have a family and you want to go to Gran Canaria look no further!
We arrived at around 17:00 on a Saturday and checked into our room (no. 89) straight away. The apartments aren't huge but are comfortable and held all three of us with relative ease. The kitchen is basic but has everything you could want and the shower and bathroom were also fine. One of the initial concerns when we arrived was that you had to pay extra for a few things, air-con being the most expensive at €60/week, you also had to pay extra for Wi-Fi, fans, the safe and extra TV channels if you wanted them. I got the key for the safe and picked up one fan for use downstairs and left it at that.
All of the apartments in the 80's are over The Galway Girl pub and some restaurants but the music stops by 23:30 and I never had a problem with noise while there even though I would consider myself a light sleeper. Due to the fact that we didn't get the air-con we had the windows open on both sides of the apartment every night and none of us had problems sleeping due to heat or noise. The maids came very regularly (every two days) and replaced the towels, dressed beds etc.
Onto the complex itself; it's very nice and very well kept. There is a little pool with turtles in it that the kids were all fascinated with. The pool is very nice, the shallow end is quite small in comparison to the rest of the pool where it is just over 2m in depth (perfect for diving!) in some places so parents of small kids might want to keep that in mind. That said, there is a lifeguard on the from 9 until 6 everyday and we didn't see anyone in difficulty in the two weeks we were there.
All of the sunbeds are locked until 9 every morning so you would go down there at 8:50 and wait for them to be locked, I did this pretty much every morning and never saw any conflicts, because the complex is relatively small everybody almost ends up choosing their particular spot and sticking with it as space can be tight on busy days. It is a good system though and much better than other places.
The bar there does basic enough food at decent prices so no complaints on that front, we generally ate at the apartment in the middle of the day as it would be hottest from 14:00-16:00 but we did eat there a few times over the two weeks and it was fine. The beer there is reasonably priced along with the cocktails, the bar staff are very friendly and very generous with your cocktail if you tip them well so bear that in mind!
The location is excellent, you are either a 10 minute walk away from everything local or a 10 minute taxi (between €5-€6) away from everything else. The Yumbo centre is only down the road as is the Kasbah and the beach. All of these have plenty of options for eating and shopping and I would recommend visiting each of them in particular the Yumbo. Further afield, I would highly recommend a visit out to Meloneras. It is more expensive than anything around the complex but it is very nice if you want a treat as all the restaurants seem to be good and the Moonlight Cinema is out there which I would also recommend. Holiday World out near Meloneras has a little fairground along with an arcade and bowling that we went to a couple of times and enjoyed so that's also worth a look for a relatively cheap night out. There is a supermarket out the front that is handy for the basics for breakfast but if you want to get more it is definitely well worth your while to walk the 10-15 minutes to the Mercadona which is far better price wise.
The only major complaint I would have of our holiday were our dealings with the Thompson holiday rep, Matt. He mislead us a number of times regarding a couple of excursions so we would book through him (I'm guessing he's getting commission). This left a pretty bitter taste as he should be impartial. We booked the trip to Mogan for the market through him because he told us no buses would go there because it was too busy, but that's how our neighbours went and they got to spend more time down there. He also told us Holiday World was expensive and closed at 22:00 but again this was wrong as it was cheap and doesn't close until 24:00. He also made the Yumbo Centre off to be very "In your face" gay but that was far from the case. I saw someone else complaining about him on this as well but as he is not actually a member of staff at Jardin del Sol this will not affect my rating.
There are only two bits of advice I can offer those considering going here;
1. Find out when Gay Pride is on as (from some of the other reviews) it may not be suitable for families at that time
2. If you have young kids and will be going to bed early, request apartments away from the pubs, like I said this didn't bother us as we didn't go to bed until around 12 any night but for younger kids it could obviously be a problem.
Overall we couldn't be happier with the complex itself. All of us had a great time, we got to know our neighbours very well as it is a relatively small complex in comparison to those around it because of this our daughter made some good friends and so did we. We have decided that we will come back in the next few years and it seems like Jardin del Sol will be the measure against which all other holidays are judged.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Jardin del Sol is an apartment complex (Self Catering Type) located in the heart of Playa del Ingles. A few meters from the main tourist spots in the south of Gran Canaria. It has 108 apartments arranged around our gardens and pool. All the apartments are accessed from the terrace, where you will find on the first floor, living room and kitchen. On the second floor, the room and bathroom with shower. The kitchens of our apartments are fully equipped with everything you might need for cooking. Reception Service 24 Hrs. Currency exchange, tourist information, Bar, Adults Swimming Pool, Children Pool, Play Ground, Social Hall / Lobby. Upon arrival, along with his key, we give the Hotel information along with a map of the area, feel free to ask any questions. Welcome to Jardin del Sol. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and Travel Republic (UK) so you can book your Jardin del Sol Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jardin Del Sol Apartments Hotel Playa Del Ingles
- Jardin Del Sol Apartments Gran Canaria/Playa Del Ingles