“Hidden Gem; Perfect for Families”

Jardin del Sol Apartments
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We (two adults, one 10 year old girl) stayed here for two weeks from the middle of July and had the best holiday you could hope to have. Ignore some of the poorer ratings that this place has (which seems to be largely due to the fact that some people stayed here during gay pride), if you have a family and you want to go to Gran Canaria look no further!

We arrived at around 17:00 on a Saturday and checked into our room (no. 89) straight away. The apartments aren't huge but are comfortable and held all three of us with relative ease. The kitchen is basic but has everything you could want and the shower and bathroom were also fine. One of the initial concerns when we arrived was that you had to pay extra for a few things, air-con being the most expensive at €60/week, you also had to pay extra for Wi-Fi, fans, the safe and extra TV channels if you wanted them. I got the key for the safe and picked up one fan for use downstairs and left it at that.

All of the apartments in the 80's are over The Galway Girl pub and some restaurants but the music stops by 23:30 and I never had a problem with noise while there even though I would consider myself a light sleeper. Due to the fact that we didn't get the air-con we had the windows open on both sides of the apartment every night and none of us had problems sleeping due to heat or noise. The maids came very regularly (every two days) and replaced the towels, dressed beds etc.

Onto the complex itself; it's very nice and very well kept. There is a little pool with turtles in it that the kids were all fascinated with. The pool is very nice, the shallow end is quite small in comparison to the rest of the pool where it is just over 2m in depth (perfect for diving!) in some places so parents of small kids might want to keep that in mind. That said, there is a lifeguard on the from 9 until 6 everyday and we didn't see anyone in difficulty in the two weeks we were there.

All of the sunbeds are locked until 9 every morning so you would go down there at 8:50 and wait for them to be locked, I did this pretty much every morning and never saw any conflicts, because the complex is relatively small everybody almost ends up choosing their particular spot and sticking with it as space can be tight on busy days. It is a good system though and much better than other places.

The bar there does basic enough food at decent prices so no complaints on that front, we generally ate at the apartment in the middle of the day as it would be hottest from 14:00-16:00 but we did eat there a few times over the two weeks and it was fine. The beer there is reasonably priced along with the cocktails, the bar staff are very friendly and very generous with your cocktail if you tip them well so bear that in mind!

The location is excellent, you are either a 10 minute walk away from everything local or a 10 minute taxi (between €5-€6) away from everything else. The Yumbo centre is only down the road as is the Kasbah and the beach. All of these have plenty of options for eating and shopping and I would recommend visiting each of them in particular the Yumbo. Further afield, I would highly recommend a visit out to Meloneras. It is more expensive than anything around the complex but it is very nice if you want a treat as all the restaurants seem to be good and the Moonlight Cinema is out there which I would also recommend. Holiday World out near Meloneras has a little fairground along with an arcade and bowling that we went to a couple of times and enjoyed so that's also worth a look for a relatively cheap night out. There is a supermarket out the front that is handy for the basics for breakfast but if you want to get more it is definitely well worth your while to walk the 10-15 minutes to the Mercadona which is far better price wise.

The only major complaint I would have of our holiday were our dealings with the Thompson holiday rep, Matt. He mislead us a number of times regarding a couple of excursions so we would book through him (I'm guessing he's getting commission). This left a pretty bitter taste as he should be impartial. We booked the trip to Mogan for the market through him because he told us no buses would go there because it was too busy, but that's how our neighbours went and they got to spend more time down there. He also told us Holiday World was expensive and closed at 22:00 but again this was wrong as it was cheap and doesn't close until 24:00. He also made the Yumbo Centre off to be very "In your face" gay but that was far from the case. I saw someone else complaining about him on this as well but as he is not actually a member of staff at Jardin del Sol this will not affect my rating.

There are only two bits of advice I can offer those considering going here;
1. Find out when Gay Pride is on as (from some of the other reviews) it may not be suitable for families at that time
2. If you have young kids and will be going to bed early, request apartments away from the pubs, like I said this didn't bother us as we didn't go to bed until around 12 any night but for younger kids it could obviously be a problem.

Overall we couldn't be happier with the complex itself. All of us had a great time, we got to know our neighbours very well as it is a relatively small complex in comparison to those around it because of this our daughter made some good friends and so did we. We have decided that we will come back in the next few years and it seems like Jardin del Sol will be the measure against which all other holidays are judged.

Room Tip: Rooms from 1-30 are probably quietest. Check when Gay Pride is on. Make sure you get a spot near t...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Eoin C
Gerard A, Gerente at Jardin del Sol Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2016

Dear Guest,

Although your comment and has a time, we want to thank you for taking the hassle in sharing your Holiday Experience with us here in Jardín del Sol.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We booked this holiday through Thompson. Me and my daughter (16) came a week before my husband and my other daughter (10). The Thompson rep, both in the shop and at the resort (Matt) helped us to get a room next to each other. We thoroughly enjoyed this holiday, and the resort.

Accommodation:

Was cosy but clean. The Cleaners came in every other day to change towels, wash up, mop etc. The beds were average but the main problem was at night, the room would get too hot. I recommend renting a fan from reception (air conditioning is available but was too expensive in my opinion). The fan costed 15 euros a week with deposit but was well worth it.

Staff:

The staff were very friendly from the minute we arrived till the end. No complaints here.

Outside the resort:

-shopping: MERCADONA is the best place for food shopping, basically the spanish tesco.Mercadona's is over the foot bridge, straight up, then a right and you will be able to see it.
The supermarket below the resort is very overpriced and we only went there for water.

Thompson excursions:

We went to four of the Thompson excursions.

The Las Palmas sights and shopping was really good, there was amazing views and do take the option to go to the cathedral tower- the view from there was amazing. The shops were great and we happened to go at sale time which was a bonus.

We also went to Mogan by boat- which in my opinion wasn't amazing. It was a quaint place, with a average sized market- nothing too special if I'm honest.

One of the days we went to Aqualand, which was enjoyed by all. Lots to do, a good day out.

We booked to see a movie in the moonlight cinema and I highly recommended doing so. The staff were friendly, good food and a relaxing atmosphere. A must do!

Other:

-You have to pay for wifi, and it wasn't that great from our room (room 32), but is good at reception and the pool.
- The pool is very big and the whole resort centres in a rectangle around it.
- There were a lot of couples , so I think the place would be ideal for couples or families with younger children

We had to cut our holiday short because of a family bereavement and the Thompson rep helped us organise our flight home the same day and was done in under 30 minutes. We are very thankful that he was so helpful and sorted this out ASAP for us, making it very easy.

Room Tip: 32 was a very quiet room as we were on the far side. We had a few steps to the pool and also a nice...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Varsha P

We take note of your suggestions and recommendations.
We hope to see you again on your next trip to Gran Canaria.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Me and my husband have just returned from this hotel!! We both loved it, it's layer out perfect the rooms was very clean and cosy it was beyond our expectations we was very impressed, just a short walk from the bars and restaurants we used the cafe outside for breakfast a few times and found it lovely, we went on two trips MHT we really enjoyed it and will be looking to see them again when they do their tour in England, secondly Aphrodite WOW what a fantastic day as a couple we recommend this trip we had a great day and the food was lovely, moving on to a review on here saying about the rep Matt!! I do not agree with what someone commented on here about not being knowledgable ect ect he was more than helpful he never pushed for you to buy turps from him, he was very knowledgable you ask him the bus to go somewhere he would tell you how much it will be the times and the times back and what number, I read about how someone thought he should be in reception instead of the pool bar!! That would not be practical how many times do you walk through reception ?? If like me and my husband would be in the morning and evening that's all so that would not be practical at all for Matt to stay in reception , around the pool is where all the customers are and think that is a stupid comment he was always visible you could even sit on your patio and see he was in so you wouldn't have to wait about in reception for him he even gave my husband the shirt off his back literally , Please don't let stupid comments put you off we really really
loved this place, we would return here

2  Thank Zowielawrence

We take note of your suggestions and recommendations.
We hope to see you again on your next trip to Gran Canaria.

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We travelled here in July 2014 and I have to admit I didn't want to come home again.
Outside the apartments are a selection of restaurants, a super market and an amusement arcade.
The apartments are a little hidden gem, neatly tucked in among all the high rise buildings.
Loads of people commented on the noise but to be honest it isn't too bad at all and the strip club you also wouldn't even notice.
The bar staff were so friendly, as were the reception staff.
I would recommend paying the extra for the air conditioning, it really was worth it.
Overall a brilliant holiday and I would recommend the Big Ben bar for proper English food if you miss you normal food.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank julieannchapman16

Dear Guest,

We are reviewing our previous publications and we have realized that yours had not been answered from us, please forgive this oversight. :-(

Although your comment and has a time, we want to thank you for taking your time in sharing your Holiday Experience with us here in Jardín del Sol.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We booked the Jardin del Sol through Thompson. Family of four, two girls aged 15 and 12. We arrived around 21:00 hrs and got through reception very quickly. The receptionist was pleasant enough. First impression of the room was that is feel quite small, it was very clean and set out well. We gave the kids the beds upstairs and settled ourselves down stairs. We were given room 88. We ate at the restaurant out the front, Guarapo I think it's called. Very good basic food. I found it difficult to sleep on the first night as I was very noisy. The room is above The Galloway Girl, an Irish bar. The noise from there finishes around 11:30/00:00 but the noise from the Riu Flamingo goes on longer. After the first night I got used to it. No one else was bothered by it. The down stairs bed was not too comfortable but I have never found a hotel bad as good as my own.
The grounds and pool area are great, very clean and well kept. The staff are very helpful and polite. The maid came often enough, always seemed to have fresh towels. The pool area is not that big and if you want to choose your space you need to be at the pool side by 08:50, there are plenty of beds (always spares) it's just the space or lack of. We never got a bad spot. The people who chose the Jardin del Sol must all have the same thing in mind as they are all nice, mainly English, Irish (Eire not north) and Scandinavian. We made friends with our neighbours and got on with everyone.
The location, in my opinion could not be better. There is a small supermarket outside for daily bits, a Lidl and a Super Macardo over the bridge at the rear of the complex. The Yumbo centre is 10 minute walk away and has everything you need for a good night out. The yumbo is very gay/lesbian friendly but we were never bothered by anyone. We had a couple of good nights at Sparkles and although adult themed it was nothing the kids don't hear at school.
The Kasbar is also only 10 minutes the other way, smaller than the Yumbo but has a few god restaurants. You do get hassled at the Kasbar but a polite no thank you is all that's needed. The access to the beach lift is just through the centre of the Kasbar.
The beach front is a very busy area with tourist shops and restaurants, well worth a visit.
We visited the water park and the Palmitos park, booked tickets online and went by bus, a lot cheaper than buying from Thompson. Busses are regular, on time and cheap, they are also air conditioned. Both parks are well worth the entrance fees. You can see some videos on my YouTube channel, search allan Kay.
I would highly recommend the Jardin del Sol for family's who are looking for a safe, well looked after, very well located apartment.
We and everyone we asked said they would return.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Allan K

Reviewed 3 August 2014

All the other comments are correct. This is a fine resort. I must say that I do not agree with the odd adverse comment about Matt, the Thompson rep though. We found him to be very visible and very good at his job. I cannot think of a better rep on the dozens of holidays we have had over the years. Thanks Matt, keep up the good work and stay in the bar/pool area where you are always handy.
As other reviewers have said, the cleaning staff and garden men were amazing. Good at their job and always cheerful.
The best aspect of the holiday for us though was the company of the other guests. They were mainly English like us, Dutch or Irish. All the folks that we met were lovely people, and we made some new friends.
Our best tip would be to buy a bag of ice from the supermarket and put it in the little freezer compartment. If you like cats, buy some cat treats too - I wonder if that cat is missing us?
The best restaurant was GUARAPO, just outside the reception. We ate there about 8 times in the fortnight and always had an excellent meal with excellent service.
Look forward to returning next year.

John and Sue apt. 34

2  Thank nicec0uple

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I nearly didnt write this review because I didnt want to tell anyone how nice this little piece of Playa del Ingles is....Its was our second visit (July 5th for 2 weeks). The pool area caters for everyone,form kiddies pool to shallow play area to deep area for swimmers.The pool does not open till 9 am and you do get people waiting to pick their spot for the day,this was OK but annoying when they didint appear till after lunch.The layout looks great and the gardens are fantastic.All the staff are very friendly and welcoming.The Jardin is great for kids but we went as a couple with friends(their 5th time) and requested to be next to each other, we were given rooms 88 and 89 which again made the holiday even better.We ate out most mornings and evenings and there was no shortage of places to go.I recomend The Britannian Pub 200 yards up the road,Mike,Paco and Dominic will really look after you and the food is second to none.Yes, the rooms are basic but theres everything you need,the living area is down stairs and you go up to bathroom and bed.Matt,the rep has been there many years so he does know what hes talking about.if you need him he will be there for you..The only thing that needs changing at the Jardin are the sunbeds,they have been used many times and are cracking.If you decide not to go to the Jardin De Sol that would suit me fine,more chance for me staying there again.

2  Thank billwebbo