“Nice during the day seedy during the night”
Review of Yumbo Centrum

Yumbo Centrum
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I had mixed feelings on the Yumbo Centre having nightlife, shops and restaurants in an outdoor carpark style shopping centre felt a bit tacky for me and it took me a while to warm to the Yumbo Centre. If you weren't aware it is a gay nightlife mecca which isn't for everybody.

The main problem I had with this was the open sexual seediness in somewhere that claims to be family friendly not the fact it has gay nightlife. If you want to take children here I would do so during the day.

Places worth checking out are the duty free perfume shops great deals on Thierry Mugler, Eiffel Bar and China Town for food.

I really liked Yumbo during the day but in the evening I just didnt feel totally comfortable!Could also do with becoming a bit more modern and less dated.

3  Thank Tabitha G
Write a ReviewReviews (4,102)

Reviewed 4 April 2014

A great place to sit and have some cocktails and people watch. Ignore the hawkers and they will go away. Great variety of bars and some have themes. Best to get there from 10pm onwards. Some really good nights out.

1  Thank KernowBoys
Reviewed 12 March 2014

After visiting most of the bars in the yumbo centre, I have felt compelled to write about these guys.
Whoever recruited them, well done! The guys serving are so nice, genuine and welcoming.
We aren't the gushy types but this deserved a mention.
Oh it's also got sunshine from lunchtime onwards for lovely afternoon cocktails and beers.

4  Thank HappyChappy01
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I love the Yumbo for the gay night life, has bars and clubs to suit all tastes, staff in most of the bars are friendly. The nightlife tends to get going around 11pm until 6am ish.

I have been going here for around six years, and a great fun place.

I did however have a few issues this trip, which I have never experienced before, mainly some of the Spanish staff trying to short change.

This centre is mainly a shopping centre during the day, with a few cafe style bars, which comes to life at night.

I would steer clear of the shopping at all costs, the shops holders stand outside trying to entice you in. I have had three bad experiences of the shops here, and never again.

I bought a decent lighter which had a two year guarantee, the store however refused to give me a receipt once they had taken my money.

I bought a new atomiser for my e cig, the store holder tried to charge me 16 euros, then when I questioned it said he thought I wanted a full kit including batteries, then tried to sell me e liquids I didn't want (and wouldn't take no for an answer), and then asked me if I really wanted my change. When I got it back to the hotel, and used it with the e cig it was horrid tasted like burning metal, and not how it should have done.

My final purchase is possibly my worst, and most dangerous. I bought from Bazaar Expo on the 2nd floor of the Yumbo. It states on their web entry they are an official supplier of ego e cigarettes. I was familiar with the make, so went along. I bought the most expensive kit they had, clearly stated ego on the e cig, it was for a double e cig kit, looked the business, not cheap at just under 35 euros but I thought why not I'm on holiday after all. I charged it up, took it on my night out, it started flashing as if the battery was low almost immediately (despite the fact if had been on charge as per instruction book). Took it home, put it on charge again, within thirty seconds the charger supplied with it started to smoke, and the plastic started to melt on the charger. Luckily I hadn't left it unattended or else I have no doubt it would have burst in to flames, and there would have been a serious fire. I took it back the store holder wanted to replace the charger only. I pointed out I had no confidence in the product, and the danger of the product, and was given a refund.

So in a nut shell good night life, decent cafés, friendly staff, but steer clear of shopping.

Some of the bars I would put on my must do list are

Coco Loco, one of the best bars in the centre, good tunes, always busy, and the staff are amazing.

La Bulle, great cocktail bar, again very friendly staff, real clean tidy bar.

Tubos, and Mykonos a real party clubbing atmosphere. They are next to each other, and owned by the same owner.

Gossip/Amigos put on a decent show, friendly staff, very popular with staff from the bars as an after hours venue as it stays open until 6am. Down side quite expensive for drinks at 7 euros, for spirit and mixer. I don't in itself mind that, you are after all getting a show, but then they have a drag queen on the toilets charging.

Ricky's bar, been going possibly longer than the Yumbo itself, traditional drag show each night.

7  Thank Julian158158
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I think further down somebody from Italy has described the Yumbo Centre as a 'horrible structure'...If there is a worse description then I would use it.

It is a conglomeration of rather seedy gay bars, a collection of restaurants, and a load of shops selling a lot of tourist tat, and overpriced jewellery and gifts, stuffed into a not very good looking 1970 multi-storey car park with crumbling stairs and cracked floors.

Which is actually being a bit unkind to a couple of car parks I can think of.

If this was in some cities that I dare not mention you wouldn't walk around it at night on your own.

Yes it is the centre for gay night life, but if gay men are supposed to have style and panache then why they come here I will never know.

There ARE a couple of good bars, but in many of them if you sit outside you can listen to four different lots of music at once...Great? I think not......

Two bars I tried on the ground floor I never even got served, even after sitting there for ten minutes so I tried one of the drag bars where I was served a brandy and coke in a tall skinny glass with ice cubes that filled most of the glass and what looked like a good measure of brandy but wasn't because the ice took up all the space and got charged €5 for what was basically a glass of coke with ice....

TA has presented me below with the question 'Is there a fee for this attraction?' If there was I don't think anyone would pay it!

7  Thank Mitselakis