“tacky”
Review of Yumbo Centrum

Yumbo Centrum
Reviewed 22 April 2014

went to Yumbo Centre just for a look all I can say its dirty sleazy and I would not take my worst enemy there. We went during the day being a older couple would not like to go at night .First visit to playa de ingles don't think for one minute we would go there again .We visited Meloneras and Puerto De Morgan much much nicer lovely shops and sea front walk way .

Write a ReviewReviews (4,100)

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I have been a regular visitor to the Yumbo for over 20 years. The main draw for me is the gay nightlife. Be advised that the nightlife doesn't get going until midnight and continues until 6am or later. Being a Londoner,what I appreciate here is that you can hop from one venue to another and experience everything from a drag show, a bit of people watching at one of the many cafe/bars on the ground floor level, a bit of cruising,dancing and-if it's your thing-the sleazier leather/fetish bars-all in one place. In London I'd have to be taking cabs from one place to another to get the same experience.
In the daytime this place is best avoided apart from if you want an all-day breakfast or a go on the mini-golf. The shops are mostly dreadful-a missed opportunity. There are a couple of nice designer clothes shops and the Spar supermarket is useful for stocking up but otherwise give the retail outlets a wide berth-there is simply nothing worth buying unless you like tourist tat and cheap looking designer knock offs.
The Yumbo Centre itself is in dire need of refurbishment,as many have said it does look like a multi-storey car park and is crumbling and run-down. But at nighttime,the darkness covers up a lot of the ugliness and the place comes into it's own.
There seems to be a proliferation of rather bad drag shows which are more popular with the heterosexuals than the gays-of these, Sparkles Showbar seems to offer the best show in terms of production values whilst Ricky's plumbs the depths of bad taste jokes and tired lip synching acts.
There are a few decent restaurants (Martell Steak House, Valentines) and a lot of poor ones.
All in all, I would describe this place as Blackpool in the sun-tacky,trashy and raucous. I wish, with all the money this venue takes, that it could re-invest some profits & bring this complex into the 21st Century instead of the 70's Timewarp it's stuck in.

5  Thank Rich_the_Kid
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I had mixed feelings on the Yumbo Centre having nightlife, shops and restaurants in an outdoor carpark style shopping centre felt a bit tacky for me and it took me a while to warm to the Yumbo Centre. If you weren't aware it is a gay nightlife mecca which isn't for everybody.

The main problem I had with this was the open sexual seediness in somewhere that claims to be family friendly not the fact it has gay nightlife. If you want to take children here I would do so during the day.

Places worth checking out are the duty free perfume shops great deals on Thierry Mugler, Eiffel Bar and China Town for food.

I really liked Yumbo during the day but in the evening I just didnt feel totally comfortable!Could also do with becoming a bit more modern and less dated.

3  Thank Tabitha G
Reviewed 4 April 2014

A great place to sit and have some cocktails and people watch. Ignore the hawkers and they will go away. Great variety of bars and some have themes. Best to get there from 10pm onwards. Some really good nights out.

1  Thank KernowBoys
Reviewed 12 March 2014

After visiting most of the bars in the yumbo centre, I have felt compelled to write about these guys.
Whoever recruited them, well done! The guys serving are so nice, genuine and welcoming.
We aren't the gushy types but this deserved a mention.
Oh it's also got sunshine from lunchtime onwards for lovely afternoon cocktails and beers.

4  Thank HappyChappy01