“Could do better!”

Flamingo Beach Mate
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Having stayed here off and on over the last 9 years, I'm beginning to think the hotel is a bit like the Tardis - much bigger on the inside than you realise which is why the refurbishment is taking so long! On arrival, a stern faced receptionist informed us that someone else was in the room we were supposed to have - they couldn't be moved so we had to! However, the room we moved to had a lovely balcony, but the problem arose when we were given 5 minutes notice after the first week to move back to our original room. Apparently we could be moved! However, the Director of the hotel spoke to us and we did receive compensation for moving rooms. Rooms are tired and in desperate need of upgrading - not sure I'll ever get to see it in my lifetime though. Pool is lovely and pool bar staff are also lovely - friendly and chatty. Same for the staff in the main bar and the 2 blonde ladies on reception. Brits are definitely outnumbered by Eastern European / Russian families who basically allow their children to run riot. They abandon them at the pool while they have a rest in their apartments and at night sit drinking whilst allowing their children to run round the hotel screaming and shouting. That's the big downside really but apart from that, the hotel is a great base for your hols and there's a great beach and plenty of restaurants within walking distance.
Rooms don't have air con or fans so you have to hire them - would love to have left the balcony doors open but a combination of screaming Eastern European / Russian kids and big cockroaches meant this was impossible so had to fork out extra money in order to prevent us all roasting alive.
If they could get a move on with the refurbishment and enforce some rules about keeping the noise down at night I would have given a top rating for this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank bellyLiverpool
There are newer reviews for Flamingo Beach Mate

Reviewed 28 July 2013

Having just returned from the flamingo club ,I felt I had to let travellers know about our stay.
Having stayed at the resort last year and 2004 .my friend and I were looking forward to a relaxing holiday . Having been assigned our room which wasn't the one indicated on my booking. We were given 524 not good if you are alight sleeper of which I am . The receptionist Alla delt with my complaint and calmed me down ,as I hadn't had any sleep . We were given another room which was fab . The cafe bar has changed hands the food was varied and a good happy hour. The BBQ is well worth it €10 with sangria on the Saturday. There could be a change in the parrot show and white linen fashion .

Room Tip: Avoid 524 too noisy . 601 large and lovely location as was 801
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Carol13687
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Another great week at Flamingo seemed to be a bit quiet around the resort but that's no bad thing our apartment is in a great position with top views over the beach and marina and out to sea the reps left us alone (think they might have got the message we do NOT want to join the points ripoff system thank you) oh one thing i would like to see changed is the reps using all the covered Deck seating, Eating out on an evening is still a bit hit and miss but did enjoy meals at Verdes and Marios so all in all a great week relaxing in the sun

Room Tip: try to get an apartment on the upper floors
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ryedalelad
Reviewed 3 June 2013

There seems to be alot of negativity for this resort, When I visited the resort in January, I bought a holiday package, I stayed on the resort In one of the new refurbishments in april, Fantastic, I could see the Port from my sun drenced belcony, What a great way to start the morning. The staff were very friendly, the food and drinks where not expensive, 4 very happy hours everyday. 2-4-1 on all drinks. 10euros for any night of the week including a drink and as much as myself and the wife could eat.I have 4 holidays a year and have stayed in loads of hotels where I felt like just a number in a box room, Its nice to have an appartment loads of space an staff that knew myself and june my wife by our first names. Definatly the best holiday ive had in years.Please dont be put off this resort because others dont know how to enjoy there holiday and only look for reasons to find fault. I am now a full member of Flamingo and have upgraded to Platinum with Interval International. I booked my return visit to flamingo with the family in August, 2 x appartments sleepind 10 in total. 1 bed and a 2 bed, only cost 479 for all of us. I cant wait to see everyone again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front are the best I was in 620.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter N
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We arrived and were told that our room was downstairs from the lobby - the stairs area was being refurbished and was blocked off with plastic - the stairs down to our room were covered in plaster and paint. The area in front of our bedroom was full of rubbish - originally it must have been a garden area and the workmen were refurbishing a large area next to our room. The front balcony view was OK. We then went into the room. Very basic, not plush as we were promised. (1) the wardrobe doors would not open or close without force; (2) the toilet flushed once, then there was a delay of about 1 hour before it flushed again; (3) the TV (and we were promised (as will many others) satellite TV) - we had BBC1, BBC2 and ITV (but ITV only until around 10:30am it then disappeared until the early hours of the morning) - everything else was in Spanish; (4) we went out in the afternoon and bought some ice and put it in the freezer box - melted overnight!; (5) there is a small boiler under the sink in the kitchen - this is what heats your water - one shower and then that's it until quite a while after - don't even try to have a bath! (6) thr water from the shower ran along side the side of the bath and into the kitchen. We were moved to another room eventually, but most the hot water problem and TV were still the same. Th best thing about it is the location.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank GVTVSunderland
Reviewed 26 May 2013

WE are surprised that Flamingo rates so low. First, it is located in Puerto Colon, a little haven before the same-ness of the Las Americas/Fanabe strip, and second, because it is really pleasant! I accept that we were lucky; on arrival we were allocated apartment 315, which feels like going down to a cellar, with little light and no view - but having protested to the rep (yes, there is time-share selling) we were then upgraded to 606, with 2 beds, 2 bathrooms and wonderful views across the bay. Paul, 'our' Grand Holidays timeshare rep, was very pleasant and accepted our refusal without demur. The pool is pleasant, the staff are helpful, and the location is great! If you are going to Las Americas, Puerto Colon is the place to be, being a little cove quite unlike the rest of the strip.Local eating houses are great (see my Odissea review). We were surprised at the number of Russians there - they probably outnumbered the Brits, and there was even a Russian-only BBQ night. However, I'm sure that we all enjoyed a lovely location.

Room Tip: Avoid the 300 to 315 rooms - our rep said that he normally needed a hard hat when visiting occupants...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Tim M
Reviewed 23 May 2013

We stayed at the Flamingo Club middle of May we have been going there for six years ,our room was being refurbished so we had to stay in a differant apartment but there was no problem reception were pleasent and so were most of the staff ,only down side was the russian kareoke it sounded as if someone was strangling a cat ,hopefully our apartment will be finished by next year.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa de las Americas
Flamingo Suites
HOVIMA La Pinta Beachfront Family Hotel
Sol Sun Beach Apartments
Sol Sun Beach Apartments
#1 of 3 in Playa de Fanabe

Been to Flamingo Beach Mate? Share your experiences!