“Felt really unsafe” 2 of 5 bubbles

Parque Cattleya Apartments
Northallerton, United Kingdom
“Felt really unsafe”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Just returned from a one week self catering holiday with my friend and can say I am glad to be home where I felt safe and could get a decent nights sleep. I had read the reviews on this place before we left but can honestly say I thought people were over exaggerating and it would never be that bad.

Before arriving there was no mention that you gained access to these apartments through Les Piramides hotel and it was only from asking a Local that we were given this information.

While checking in the reception staff told us to be wary of our purses as 4-5 people a NIGHT get mugged on the way back to the apartment, not something you want to hear at the start of your holiday. We were lead to our room which was through a gated area (this did not fill us with confidence) and faced a back alley. We later realised this back alley was used on a night for Prostitutes and strangers that appeared to "lurk around".

The room itself was not the best and the beds were literally "on their last legs" but it was semi-clean and we received clean bedding and towels throughout our stay. We never visited the pool area in all of our stay as we used the pool where my family were staying. I wouldn't have chosen to use the pool as it appeared dirty and not welcoming whatsoever.

The area in which the hotel was situated made both my friend and I feel extremely unsafe, our first night we were awoken by drunken revellers, our second night a stranger hurled rude remarks at us from the back alley while we were on our way home and the third night we were followed by a group of dark men home. This was the last straw and so after that we stayed at my families hotel and used the apartment only to get changed before heading out.

From the people we saw come and go from the other apartments I can only assume that this is more of a residential area for the Locals and holiday makers are shoved in the odd few they have spare in order to make a bit of extra cash. I would definitely not recommend this hotel, not even to the younger generation who literally want a place to crash and a cheap hotel. From the Locals that we spoke to all said to be careful of Parque Cattleya, even one of the taxi men referred to it as "The Bronx".

On our last day we saw an old couple in their 70's at least, being shown to their room, this broke my heart, I still wonder if they are safe and unharmed now I am back home.

Do not make the mistake me and my friend did by trying save a few extra quid and booking this "hell hole"!!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Beckyboo2725

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Polish first
Johnstone, Scotland, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

Booked this last minute as I wanted to join my family (who were in other accommodation which I couldn't book as it was full). I was on my own and I don't think this was taken into account when the room was allocated, a total maize from reception to the room which couldn't have been further away from main building. 3rd time in Tenerife in a year and 1st time I felt afraid, pool area was filthy , someone's bloody socks lay for two days, discarded food lay for days which in turn attracted cockroaches. Safe to say I ended up bunking down with my family in their hotel and only used this place as a base . Wasn't even that cheap as I paid almost £500 self catering, would definately not recommend.

Room Tip: Ground floor room with pool view which was absolutely rubbish
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Allyson L

Travellers are raving about these Playa de las Americas hotels

Sunderland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

If your stopping at this location on a AI basis you would be better taking your own knives and forks as the queues were longer waiting for these than the queue for the bar in the restaurant and that only ever had 1 person serving on.
Book for a week AI through Thomas Cook with my wife, flight from Newcastle on time, decided that paying Thomas Cook £50 for the transfer was excessive and booked through Resort Hopper for a private transfer for less than £40.00(excellent service both ways).
Now the hotel, nothing for families, but don't think its meant for, more for couples and the younger groups.
Rooms; nice spacious and clean but the noise of coach's picking up and dropping off throughout the night on the front with their reversing beacon.
Food; not up to much.
Entertainment; 4 free shows provided for the hotel for photo opportunity's,So none really.
Pools choice of 4, 1 main next to main pool bar, very busy, smaller child's pool close by, best pool and bar is hidden away but the Cattleya pool was deserted apart from 2 brave souls.
Very few chairs around the pool about 20 for a hotel this size(about 300 rooms)
Not stuck up and even though we were upgraded I will not be returning.
But no cockroaches!

Room Tip: The front has buses arriving all the time c/w reversing beacons throughout the night,
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ryhopeman
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

After reading some of the reviews I was dreading staying here, but I was pleasantly surprised. The room was spacious, cleaned daily, no issue with cockroaches or other insects. The location was very good, close to a lot of restaurants and bars. Overall a good stay for the price.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank ManchesterDanny
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

We stayed for 1week self catering which was great, room was cleaned daily,pool was very quiet, really average but wen looking at reviews I was dreading my stay, but wen arriving reception was great we got taken to out apartment and was more than happy wen getting their. Not one cockroach in sight and not one thing stolen, I would defiantly stay their again. It's also close to the main Veronica's strip lots of good food and drinks good night life I would defiantly recommend

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Caroline W
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

My girlfriend and I just came back from a week in Tenerife. We booked our holiday through Thomas Cook who - for some god awful reason - recommended these apartments.

When you check in here you have to do this through the adjacent building which is the Las Piramides apartment block. All of which seems like a very decent establishment until you are lead through a never ending route of stairs to the Parqe Cattleya dungeon cellar. All of the rooms at this end have only a patio access and there are no formal front doors to access from. This system relies on the use of a typical back door patio key and not the card key as you would probably by this day in age come to expect.

The room set-up is very basic but I must admit the facilities are OK:
- Kitchen has a decent long worktop with plenty of pots, pans and cutlery for use. This also includes a fridge, kettle and cooker hob. Does not include a microwave though.

- Shower/bathroom was fairly modern. However my biggest concern was the lack of ventilation and close proximity to the work area behind the room. The room had a small permanently opened void acting as a ventilation route to a store/workshop room. From the bathroom you could always hear workmen going about their daily routine. Another cause for concern is because you are unable to close this 'window' insects have a free reign to access the bathroom.

- The rooms all have twin beds so please do not believe a single word Thomas Cook tells you if they claim to cater for couples that wish to sleep in a double bed. The beds are not particularly great - my bed was full of cigarette burns and tears on the cover sheet.

- Another dissatisfying factor to these apartments is, as you can see from Thomas Cooks website, the general close proximity to the pool area. Although it provides decent access to the pool it is also a haven for insects to access from. Every day that we stayed here I was stamping on cockroaches that seem to be everywhere.

- An additional issue here is the clear lack of security at this end. We had a local man wondering around the pool area one night claiming to be a security guard although he was dressed in plain clothes. We questioned the front desk the following morning and they claimed no such staff member exists... you can come to your own conclusion on this one!

After 3 nights putting up with this and 3 nights of my girlfriend not being able to even sleep without fear we decided to phone Thomas Cook to get moved. To their credit they did move us to Las Piramides which is by far superior to Parque Cattleya. Typical modern day set-up with key card function on the front door and the rooms contain a patio area as well. Las Piramides is also a bit closer to the beach end of Las Americas so an extra bonus there.

The Parque Cattleya apartments are definitely more suited towards 2 care-free lads wanting a good booze holiday tear-up. They'd probably think twice about bringing a female back however!

In the end Parque Cattleya offers very poor value for money and above all else offers very little security to keep you safe. A point to add here is the pool area has free access to the street through an unlocked door. So any opportunist could easily find their way to your patio door in an instant.

Would definitely recommend the Las Piramides - it has a microwave in their kitchens if you like your super noodles ;).

Be wise

Simon

Room Tip: Avoid Parque Cattleya and urge to get moved to Las Piramides.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Simon D
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

before going,looking through reviews,i wanted to cancell my holiday!but once here,i dont know what these people were talking about.the reception area is clean+welcoming.the staff were very helpfull,nothing was too much trouble.our apartment was spotless,not a cockroach in sight.nor did we see any during our stay,anywhere in the complex.we were all inclusive+i was impressed with th
e variety+quality of food on offer at every mealtime.it wasn't cordon bleu,but it was damm tastey!there was a bit of queing up for tea+coffee,but only for a few mins.the length of each mealtime meant it never was too busy,you could take your time.i felt very safe with security guards+gates(for which you have a swipe card)with it only being myself+my daughter,their presence wasn't overbearing.all the pools are clean+area surrounding is kept spotless;plenty sunloungers+parasolles available.the staff are doing a great job,but some holidaymakers were so rude+abnoxious,+ignorant,no manners at all!i would be glad to return+would recommend this hotel to every age group.all in all a smashing holiday.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank lornasmith63
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa de las Americas
Bungalows Barranco
3.0 of 5 bubbles 3,616 reviews
Hotel Andrea's
Hotel Andrea's
#12 of 14 in Los Cristianos

Been to Parque Cattleya Apartments? Share your experiences!