“fantastic holiday”
Review of Gran Oasis Resort

Gran Oasis Resort
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 August 2011

My husband, son and myself have recently returned from a fantastic holiday in tenerife. We stayed in the Grand Oasis Resort. We arrived at the hotel on the 15th of July for two weeks. We had a fantastic holiday. Before going on the holiday I was constantly reading the reviews about the holiday and to be honest I was slightly apprehensive about going to the hotel.
I am going to tell the truth about the hotel. The hotel.is beautiful, the staff are lovely and they are very helpful and polite.
We stayed in room 163 which overlooked the pool. I requested a pool view and there was no problem. The kitchen was open planned with all the facilities required should people choose to go self catering. There is a lovely large fridge which was very convient to keep the suncreams in. The living area was beautiful with a lovely plazma tv and very clean.
The bedroom and bathroom are downstairs. The beds are changed every day except for Wednesday and Sunday but, we all need some time of no big deal. I went to the rception and no problen they gave me towels and sheets for the bed if, I felt the bed neded changed on either of these two days.
There was no cockroaches! The food was really lovely and a different theme every night. There was food to suit every individual and plenty for the kids.
It is a family resort and the kids are greatly entertained. My son is aged 7 and he had a great time. He met plenty of lovely children.
I felt the resort was very safe with, a security guard on duty evey night. The entertainment at the pool bar finished every night at 11.pm. There was no one roudy or displaying inappropiate behaviour.
The previous reviews I read about this resort are totally untrue and it makes me sad to think that people are so difficult to please, and the staff worked so hard and long hours.
The only negative I am going to write is the hotel does require air conditioning and they are fully aware of this. If you have children aged between 2 years and approximately 5 years there is 6 steps from the living area down to the bedroom via the bathroom and they can be slightly slippy especially after returning from the pool so. the kids would definitely need supoervised by an adullt.
A GREAT HOLIDAY. One piece of advice to any one going to the hotel is please do not pay attention to the negatyive reviews of this hotel. The McBride family Northern Ireland

9  Thank Stuart M
Write a ReviewReviews (3,501)

Reviewed 10 August 2011

We have just returned from this resort having had a really great time. we were greeted at reception in the early hours by a really friendly reception staff . Too tired to inspect our room when we arrived. Our room was situated someway from the pool area at the top of a steep hill but there was a choice of steps or ramps making access easy. The room was really nice but lack air conditioning which was the only disappointment.

The food served in the main restaurant was excellent and the service couldn't be faulted with very attentive and polite staff. There was plenty of choice on offer for main course. The selection of sweets was good if a little repetitive.

The pool area was really good although sun loungers difficult to find but still possible if you were prepared to move them around yourself. The pools got a little cloudy due to a filter problem but this was soon picked up by the staff and sorted out.

The evening entertainment was fun with a really good entertainment team,

The hotel was kept exceptionally clean, with staff who really cared. I really cannot recognize the hotel as described by one or to disappointed contributors in this respect.

The hotel was someway from the main town but a free shuttle was available to take you and bring you back. A friendly taxi service was also available if you wanted to make you own way around.

All in all a very nice hotel and one that I would happily return to.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank Liverpool_marine
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I need to writ emy review following the family who also stayed in July to give the opinion on our stay and the resort.
We read many reviews before we left and like others were a bit unsure as there had been a few bad reviews and did not know what to expect.
We arrived the first night, late to be offered food if we wanted, booked in on teh system, given directions to the room and it was a lovely room over the middle pool and the security guard showed us the way.
We were also given a time slot when it may not be as busy for food but decided to be there as soon as each mealtime opened and granted, it could be busy at times, but you were on holiday and what was the rush!
On the way to breakfast that first morning we were amazed by the amount of green t-shirts (staff) washing, cleaning the floors, reception, pool areas, stairs, walkways etc, and sorting loungers out for the day.
I can agree that you needed to be up early to get your spot on a lounger, but in which resort do you not, and if you slept in, there was loads of spare loungers all the way around the big pool if you wanted.
There was constant entertainment for the kids, and adults, which was your choice, and you were casually asked but no problem if you did not want to join in. The entertainment team were fantastic and could not give enough thanks to them for making our sons holiday so enjoyable, from teh activities during the day to the mini disco at night. Even the adult entertainment, although not what we are use to, was different every night and we just sat and enjoyed the night.
Every meal time, we were greeted by a couple of familiar faces who booked you in and was always friendly and made an effort to speak in Spanish and English to make you feel at home, but we rarely felt we needed to speak in Spanish to communicate.
The food was plentiful, always meats and fish to try, steaks, chicken, veal, cooked fish or cold fish, diffent types of paella were always on the menu with potatoes, chips, salads, pizza, hotdogs etc. this changed form night to night depending on the theme but there was always an large choice, and the arrangement of the different salads was lovely to look at. It was a shame to dig into it and spoil the look.
There was soup to start, a meal to choose and plenty of cakes, mousses, pastrys, ice creams, fruit salads, cut up fruit, or general fruit on the counter if you wanted it.
Every meal time you could help yourself to white wine, red wine and rosé, tropical lager was on tap and so were the 5 types of soft drinks. We spent every meal out on teh restaurnat verande, but you could sit inside in teh air condiitoned area.
Again the receptionists spoke very good english and had a great rapor with them with coins for the games room. They were always willing to help, giving advice on bus times, to shops with electrical equipment, they sorted out a picnic for us to take to Siam park and Loro parque.
There was a suncare advisor (Simon) at the resort most days, and gave some great advise as our son was caught out and burnet his back, and our sun lotions did not do as they were suppose to.
You could say that it was loud during the day and night, but it was a secluded holiday complex for families and expected this with the kids having a great time. We got home missing the noise and their theme music to the complex.
We did see the wildlife, ants and cochroaches, none were in our apartment, we kept the patio open during the day, closed it at night, and although i hate the heat at night, managed to sleep using the fan in the bedroom.
Every evening mealtime we ate and watched the staff clean the pool areas, disinfect the areas and hose them down, including the green part around the pool, so much we recpognised the smell in the airport as the same cleaning fluids. At no point did we ever feel that this was not cleaned or hygenic and every morning we saw the pool cleaner checking the water colour and using his filter hose. We did have murky water after a week due to holiday makers not showering before going oin the pool but this was attended to on the night and cleared in in a day.
We used both pools and the only smell we had was form our lotions we used from the baking sun while the kids were occupied by the entertainers. Even i joined in with the water tennis and killer pool and killer ttable tennis on an occasion.
We have been back now for 5 days and i am hoping to plan to go away again in two years for our 20th anniversary. I would recommend this complex to anyone with children, there are steps, but there are ramps also if you need them. I would go back tomorrow if i could and miss the friendly faced staff we saw over the two weeks.
Our thanks go out to all of the staff, for their friendliness. The recpetionist needs a coin machine which would've saved my endlessly asking her for coins and to make her job easier, although she always made a joke of this, the restaurant staff for the friendliness and hard work for clearing the plates, greeting us at the door every day and being interested about our leave time, where we were flying to and waht time we were going to be collected, and to renate, Oscar, Ewa (eva), and Katherine for their endless amount of energy to pass out to the kids and adults, and constant smiles.
I am sure we will all meet again. Good luck to Oscar when he heads back to Mexico

The ABELE family

4  Thank M43Abele
Reviewed 9 August 2011

I must say after reading some of the reviews - i honestly don't know what some people expect!!
We had a wonderful holiday - at the end of the day a holiday is what you make it and the people that you share it with.
We absolutely had no complaints whatsoever - we stayed in a 2 bedroom deluxe suite which was perfect although i don't really know what the roof top terraces are for - unless you want to bake like a roast potato!!
Everthing was spotless and yes there were quite a few steps but when on holiday eating and drinking lots you need to work it off somehow.
My kids thoroughly enjoyed the their time here - they enjoyed the arcade on an evening and were close enough for us to keep an eye on whilst we enjoyed having a drink and watching the OK entertainment.
Food was great and plentiful.
The pool did get murky during our stay but that was due to one of the pumps that had failed, they were onto it straight away and got it fixed.
Although we wouldn't go back 'cos we like to go somewhere different each year - i would not hesitate to recommend this complex.
Siam Park & Lorro Park are a must

Room Tip: ** Just pay that bit extra for a 2 bed suite **
Reviewed 7 August 2011

After booking my holiday back in feb this year, and being led to believe that I was going to a 4* rated hotel on an all inclusive basis I feel I paid well over the odds for this holiday!!!

On first impressions we arrived and I noticed the official rating on the entrance to reception as being 3 keys but as it looked so idyllic in the brochure I thought well maybe it'll be just as nice for real. We were greeted by very friendly staff and were shown to our apartment which on 1st impressions was really well laid out with a spacious living area with full working kitchen and lovely balcony overlooking the golf course.
Then we proceeded to unpack our cases only to find our wardrobe was infested with 'sugar ants' and upon closer inspection they were all over our bathroom, bedroom and the counter area in the kitchen. I went straight back to reception for some ant powder, only to find they don't have anything like that but they did give me some bug spray but that didn't stop them coming in from the outside as there were many entry points through the brickwork. So it was a relentless task, every day spraying bug spray to kill all the ants that had got in during the day. Also with it being sold as a 4* hotel you would expect A/C in your room but all that was on offer was a ceiling fan which was as much use as a chocolate fireguard!! Therefore we would leave our bedroom door open slightly at night for a bit of breeze and on our last night some thing got in our room and was good enough to leave 2 small poo's for me to clean up!! As you can imagine when i heard it and then found the droppings the door was shut and we baked!!!!

Unless you are prepared to wake up at 6.30am each day to reserve your sunbed then you have no chance of getting near the pool, you just have to make do with what you can get. We were lucky that we had our own sundeck area off the doors from our bedroom so for the 1st couple of days that's were we sunbathed.
The pool area is surrounded by a fake grass matting which whilst we were there was probably cleaned 4 times, that's 4 times in 2 weeks!!!! On 1 paticular day the smell coming from the matting was like that of an uncleaned urinal!! that's how bad it was!! So the next day I was able to get beds on the other side of the pool but that was no better there was just a sickly smell like sour milk (probably from drink spillage mixed with dropped ice cream) it was so bad that we didn't bother to spend time round the pool for the last 5 days of our holiday, opting instead to stay at our room for 3 of them and going to 'Siam park' for the other 2.
The pools also weren't anything to write home about, only really used the bottom larger one but not once did I see a pool attendant actually cleaning the sides by hand, or using a pool vac to suck any debris left from the previous day. Therefore the pool got gradually murkier as the days passed, so much so the water looked almost green by the time we were going home. There was also a thick ring of black mildew around the edge of the jacuzzi area in the big bottom pool, which one day I'm sure was floating around the pool in the water....a big health problem in my opinion!!
The restaurant area was rather small, certainly not big enough to handle half of the hotel guests if they all turned up at once, that probably explains why we were given a time slot to have our meals...that was definitely a first for me!!
The food on offer was so basic it was unbelieveable!! I survived on salads mostly with a piece of meat or fish but a lot of the food offered seemed processed, or should I say as though it was fom a jar(well the sauces tasted like that). My daughter survived mainly on chips and bread rolls but some days she was so hungry I would take her to Mc Donalds or to a restaurant in Las Americas which is not the basis I paid for!! There was very litte fresh fruit on offer at mealtimes and why do they think we like flavoured mousse there was loads of that!! For me an adult I could have probaably made do with what was on offer but if you have kids that are a tad fussy with what they eat then unless they like hotdogs and badly made pizza and not very well cooked chips then this is not the place for you!! I have stayed at lower rated hotels and paid less before now and have gotten far better food, rooms that you don't share with the local wildlife complete with air con and much better pool hygiene!!
Overall this holiday was such a bitter dissapointment to both me and my daughter that it seemed like we were away for a month, and I hated having to go and complain to my rep on a regular basis, so much so that I think she dreaded me going over to talk to her because most of the time it was to tell her that something else was wrong. I feel it's the fault of the holiday company overselling this hotel as a 4* when it would just make a 3*.

Room Tip: Pay for a high situated duplex suite if there is more than 2 of you if you can manage the hike to yo...
1  Thank Annawfsk
Reviewed 7 August 2011

I thought this was a good hotel but the one thing that really irked me was that there was no air conditioning??

This should be a prerequisite of any hotel which is 3 star or above!

Also, it's not a good hotel if you are with someone who has difficulty getting around.

Reviewed 6 August 2011

We stayed on all inclusive basis , which given its location ( 30 mins walk ) to Playa Americas , was a good thing , although there is a taxi rank outside the hotel , and for 5 to 6 euros will take you to Playa .
The food was Excellent , different themed nights , chinese , mexican , italian , international , etc.
The complex was very clean and tidy , our appartment was a duplex , my only complaint , youve got a big terrace area , you could have had some loungers or chairs and table .
We found the evening entertainment was ok , the best was the snake and parrot shows .
A must , is the trip to Siam park and Loro park , Expensive but worth it .

Would go back , but we like going to other places each year ( rhodes next year )

4  Thank Angel5002
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa de las Americas
Green Garden Resort & Suites
Europe Villa Cortes
#7 of 59 in Playa de las Americas
1 mi away
Tigotan Lovers & Friends Playa de las Americas
Tigotan Lovers & Friends Playa d...
#5 of 59 in Playa de las Americas
Melia Jardines del Teide
Melia Jardines del Teide
#15 of 61 in Costa Adeje

Been to Gran Oasis Resort? Share your experiences!