“Good Hotel”

Mediterranean Palace Hotel
Reviewed 11 March 2014

At certain ‘sporting’ events a judging panel is used. Usually they disregard the best and worst scores to try and reach a fair result. I think it’s safe to say that this can be applied to reviews of this hotel. My wife and I spent the first week of March here on a half board basis and we had a thoroughly good time. There is basically not much wrong. It is in an excellent location, clean and tidy and good value for the money. OK it is not a 5 star but everyone knows that now when booking. It could do with some new sun shades round the pool and the food could be improved upon. They do not charge for the room safe (hooray) and good free wifi (again hooray). I had no trouble with wifi around the pool or in the room. They supply large bath towels in the room, and large pool towels can be obtained (15 Euros refundable deposit required). They do charge in the region of 3 Euros a day for the room fridge and 50 cents for a cup of ice (boo). I would recommend staying B&B. (The breakfast is very good). Or at worst half board but do not sign up for full board, you will get fed up with the food. The half board option can be used for either lunch or dinner, giving the choice of eating out in the evenings. You can dine in the adjoining hotel, The Cleopatra for a surcharge of 8 Euros per person. Better restaurant and food, but worth 8 Euros extra, maybe not. There are 100’s of restaurants in the locality offering good food.. Although we went in term time there was still a lot families with children staying. I imagine then, that, during school holidays this would have a very high proportion of families. The hotel seems to cater for this with a children’s club and entertainers, but if this is not your cup of tea, avoid school holiday periods. If you want top quality 5 stars with all the trimmings look elsewhere, but if you want a good, clean, no frills hotel, this fits the bill. Happy holiday.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms do get the sunshine during the day
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank captainhaddock
Esteban Sedano C, Director General at Mediterranean Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Thank you very much for your comments.

I´m glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us and I also appreciate your negative comments as an attempt to offer suggestions on how to improve our service. We will take them into consideration.

As you have noticed this hotel is mainly focused on families and, as part of a bigger resort, we offer different atmospheres in each hotel.

I hope to have the chance to welcome you again soon.

I suggest you to visit our web page for any information on prices and availability.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

The rooms are very dated. I have stayed at 3 star hotels which are better. Food quality was poor for a 5 star, again I have eaten at 3 star buffet restaurants just as good, if not better. The worst part was the rudeness of the Spanish staff. You come on holiday to have a nice time and get treated with at least some respect, not get looked at or treated like you are something they have stepped in. Eva was the most rude of them all.

We had to get checked in twice because of a mix up and had to pay for our first night dinner even though we were half board. We eventually got our money back on our last day after many attempts!!!

The only plus side was that it was right on the beach and the non-Spanish kitchen staff were very friendly.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank ChrisShields
Esteban Sedano C, Director General at Mediterranean Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Dear Mr. Shields,

Thank you very much for your comments.

I´m sorry to read that you have found your experience with us so negative.

However it is a real shame that after all the effort made by our Reception Manageress to help you recovering your money from the travel agent, you don´t consider her kind enough, in spite of the fact that she was doing this as a favour to you. It was thanks to her insistence and many calls that you finally recovered what was certaily yours.

Regarding the room condition and food variety, I appreciate your comments and I asure you that they will be taken into consideration.

Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Arrived at reception and was given a glass of champagne. Staff were really attentive and friendly, especially dining staff. We went for our anniversary and arrived in our room to flowers and chocolates. Also at breakfast we were given champagne and cake. Really lovely touch. Room was cleaned every day...nice work sondra, our maid. Food choices were excellent, although not as hot as we like. Would recommend to all and my daughter has already booked for june this year!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank barbiedoll65
Esteban Sedano C, Director General at Mediterranean Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice comments.

I´m glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us, very especially the service provided by our cleaning staff. I will personally pass your congratulations to Sandra.

I will be pleased to welcome you or your family in the near future. Do not hesitate to contact me through our web page for any special request. I´ll do my best to meet your expectations.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Great hotel went in January 14, great stay, have used about 15 times, that says it all,B-)B-)B-) love the breakfast ,staff very very helpful,pool,s really clean, rooms a bit dated, but cleaned every day ,can't wait for our next stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ianieboy
Esteban Sedano C, Director General at Mediterranean Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for you positive review.

I´m glad to know of your satisfaction and I thank you for your extraordinary loyalty, much appreciated.

Nothing could make me happier than welcoming you again in the near future. Do not hesitate to contact me for anything you might need.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Having stayed in Tenerife many times we have always admired this hotel

So for my wife's 50th i booked this trip to Tenerife as a late surprise

I will keep this short as i can only say we were very disappointed with the hotel
It is tired and in need of refurbishment
Room was of decent size with adequate luggage space
Decor tired and tatty
Bed alright but not of standard that people are used to in 5 star hotels these days
Bathroom was the biggest let down
Bath tub with shower curtain that stuck to you like a leach
Silicone an inch thick all round the bath
Broken and loose tiles everywhere
Public areas and restaurant also badly needing refurbished
Only stayed B&B thank God as the breakfast was poor and a free for all when busy
Would not recommend as you will find a much better hotel in Las Americas for far less money

Room Tip: Choose a room in another hotel
1  Thank Billyboydarvel
Esteban Sedano C, Director General at Mediterranean Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your opinion.

I´m very sorry to read that some of our services, especially those at breakfast, have not been up to your expectations.

Please, accept our most sincere excuses for the inconveniences.

I invite you to visit our web page for information about the sister hotels within the resort, more modern and with a different atmosphere, probably closer to your likings.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

First of all, I am not getting into and debate regarding is this is a 5 Star hotel or not. The star rating has been given to the hotel on the basis of it's facilities, and has passed all the official requirements.
We booked the hotel for a weeks winter break, arriving on 25th February . I had already been to the hotel about 20 years ago, and liked it at the time.
The staff at reception were very friendly and it only took about 5 minutes to check in. We were also given a free safe deposit box in our room. A nice touch, as many hotels rip you off, for this.
Our room on the 5th floor had a very nice sea view, so was very happy with that.
OK, the room itself does look like you have gone back in time, to the 80's. This included a big tube TV, and tired looking furniture. Furthermore one of the floor tiles in our room had fallen into a hole in the floor.

Much the same news in the bath room with a leaking hot tap, and some uneven wall tiles.

The good news was the made done a good job of keeping the room clean, and we did not expect luxury even before we arrived. We mostly went to the hotel for the position.

The pool area is not that good. The main reason is that there is at least twice as many sun beds as there was when the hotel first opened, to cater for the guests in the hotel next door, who have a small pool area themselves.

However, the single worst thing about this hotel is the dining room. This is one of the few areas that have been refurbished. However, it now looks like something from a three star Swedish Business Hotel. Not a five star holiday hotel. Worst still is the noise level. We only had breakfast, and after two days, we took the rest of our meals outside. You just could not even have a conversation with the person at your table. Nothing to dampen the sound has been added, and it is really a nightmare.

Saying all this, I would go back to this hotel if the price was right for a weeks break. I also hope that if they do give the much needed refurbishment to the rooms, they do a better job than the dining area.

Room Tip: Wear earplugs in the dining room.
2  Thank Jeri90125
Esteban Sedano C, Director General at Mediterranean Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Thank you very much for your comments.

I´m sorry to read that some aspects of our service and facilities have not been up to your expectations.

I would also like to thank you for your suggestions regarding the dining area and room refurbishment. They will be taken into consideration.

We will be happy to welcome you again in the near future. Maybe one of our sister hotels, with a more tranquil atmosphere, would suite your preference better.

Do not hesitate to check prices and more information on our web page.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We spent a week here recently and having read some awful reviews we decided to approach our stay with an open mind. So glad we did! Yes the hotel is showing it's age but there are ongoing modernisation developments. Even while we were there the wi-fi improved dramatically. We stayed on a B&B basis and the breakfast buffet had a good selection and the unlimited Cava was welcome. The staff were friendly and efficient.The only negative was the overpriced "Gala" Dinner held at the Cleopatra,.the menu stated that the main course was Veal but if that was calf meat-then I'm a teenager!
Overall our advice to potential customers is if you want modern five star hotel and are prepared to pay full five star prices then this may not be for you. However, if you want clean, friendly accommodation in a magnificent location-the Mediterranean Palace will provide that. We enjoyed our stay and will return in the future.

Room Tip: Pool View is best.
2  Thank Gerry&Ros

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice words.

I´m glad to read that, in general terms, you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We are aware of the few improvements we must make and we are working on new services and activities that will add value to our guests experience.

I will be happy to welcome you again in future visits to Tenerife. Do not hesitate to contact me through our web page for any special request. I´ll be glad to help you.