“Great Hotel”

Spring Hotel Vulcano
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 29 August 2009

We stayed at the Hotel Vulcano for eleven nights in August. From the time we checked in until departure everything was excellent. Our room looked out over a pedestrian walkway up from the beach. We did think intially it might be nosiy but this was not the case. The room was large and really clean. We had a good sized balcony with two sunloungers as well as table, chairs and parasol. Room was cleaned every day, towels changed daily and sheets changed twice during our stay which was great. Meals were excellent as the scales proved when we got home! There was the usual choices for breakfast plus made to order omlettes which were good. Evening meal was really good, usually about five to six choices for main meal, plus two choices on the grill and the carvery. There was also a vegetarian corner and a huge variety of salads to choose from. Good variety of desserts and ice cream. Don't think we saw the same thing on the menu twice during our eleven night stay. Pool was excellent - whole area was throughly cleaned every night. The hotel was quite quiet during our stay so there was an abundance of sunbeds regardless of what time of day you went to the pool. Pool bar offered good value lunchtime snacks, eg burger and chips etc all priced about four euros. Entertainment staff deserve a special mention - they were really enthusiastic and had a wide variety of different activities on every day to keep you amused when you were not frying in the 38 degree heat. Certificates were handed out at night in the bar to the winners which was a nice touch. The main bar was open all day, happy hour from 6pm till 7pm - two for one which was good. Entertainment at nights was a bit of a hit or a miss but we went out most nights anyway. The surrounding area was good, a couple of modern shopping centres are just down from the hotel. There is a strip of pubs just down from the hotel including a Scottish bar and Irish bar which were both really good. Two euros a pint and plenty of live music. One down side though - absolutely loads of people trying to sell sunglasses, watches and silly toys etc. We ate out one night at Teppanyaki restaurant in the Safari centre just down from the hotel - it was really good, would recommend it. We ventured to Veronicas (the strip) one night, it was okay, typical of what you would expect, loads of touts trying to entice you into their pubs for a free shot. We found the drinks were very expensive here. Had a fantastic holiday at the Hotel Vulcano, anybody booking a holiday here will have a great time. We'll definately be back!!

4  Thank DaveandJoan5
Write a ReviewReviews (2,651)

Reviewed 26 August 2009

I am a 16 year old girl and I went to the hotel vulcano with my grandparents this year as a treat for completing my GCSEs. I found the hotel staff very friendly and they were never to busy to answer a question or help you do something. There was plenty to do for both old and young people, activities at the hotel were always organised and prizes were won and given out during the entertainment section of the evening. The position of the hotel is fantastic, it is within close walking distance of the beach, shops, bars and restaurants. Definitely one of the best hotels I have experienced, and I know my grandparents felt the same. Will be returning next year.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Linford123
Reviewed 24 August 2009

This is a really excellent hotel and I had a fantastic 2 week stay there with my partner in August. We're both 24 and were, as others have been, a little concerned we would be out of place and treated differently to older guests. However, this was absolutely not the case. There were guests of all ages during our stay and we were treated with the same respect and warmth as everyone else by the staff. The staff members were outstanding in all the different areas of the hotel and helped to make the stay all the more enjoyable.

It was my partner’s birthday during our stay and when I told reception (thought I might as well!) they arranged for sparkling wine to be sent to our room. It was waiting for us when we got up there and was a lovely surprise for him and a nice touch.

Food and Drink
The food was really excellent. Breakfast was fantastic with a huge amount of choice. There were the usual suspects for a cooked breakfast, plus pastries, breads, yoghurt, fruit, cereal, meats and more. We ate in the pool bar for lunch a couple of times and found the food to be fairly priced and very nice. You could get a burger and chips for 4 Euros. Dinner was also wonderful. There was an excellent choice of meat and fish that were of good quality and well cooked. The difficulty for my partner was usually deciding what to have as there was so much! I am a vegetarian and most evenings I was bowled over by the choice. It was the best that I have ever experienced. Service in the restaurant was also excellent.

Drinks were, for the most part, reasonably priced and it's a really good idea to get the Spring Hotels card to lower the prices further. We were informed at the start of our stay that you have to sign for drinks throughout your stay to take advantage of this and the discount is applied at the end of your stay when you settle your bill. Happy hour was between 6 and 7 when drinks are two for the price of one. This does not apply to all drinks, but there is a good range to choose from. There were not as many people taking advantage of this as we thought there would be and it was fairly quiet. Soft drinks at the pool bar are very expensive so we bought them from the shop round the corner.

Room and Facilities
The hotel was fantastically clean and on days where we were up very early for excursions we saw an army of staff cleaning, very thoroughly, all over the place!

We stayed in a Standard room, which was spotless and nicer than it looked in the pictures. The twin beds were a real pain though and if we stayed again we’d try and get a double. At 5 floors up we had absolutely no problems with noise even though we were overlooking the walkway up from the pubs and beach. The fridge issue was a bit of a pain and should really be sorted out as it would be nice to be able to use it, but the charge seems excessive. Having said that, I didn’t actually check with the hotel to find out how much they were asking, I just went by what people said on here. We did not pay to use the fridge to store our own drinks and just bought them from elsewhere when we wanted them (and occasionally popped them in the fridge of an evening to chill them – sssshhh, don’t tell!).

The pool area is lovely and was never too busy. We, and others, moved sun beds around without being told off as others have reported. However, the hotel was not very full at all and according to our rep they were only at about ¼ to 1/3 capacity so things could well be different at peak times. This area too was thoroughly cleaned each evening and was a testament to the high quality of the hotel.

Activities and Entertainment
The activities were really good fun with lots of variety and enthusiastic people running them. Across the two weeks we tried mini-golf, French bowls, shuffleboard, darts, water polo and shooting and there were other things we didn’t do, such as bingo, archery and aqua aerobics. When we won or were on a winning team the person running the activity would check if you were going to be at the bar around 9.45 that night. If you were, they would call you and other winners up and give you a certificate, which was a bit embarrassing and really sweet too! There are a number of pool tables, computers with Internet access and table tennis facilities so daytime entertainment was taken care of.

The evening entertainment was variable and wasn’t really to our taste, but we went out most evenings anyway so this did not affect our stay. Having said that, Elvis was brilliant and well worth a look if he’s on when you’re there!

Overall, we had a really great stay and were extremely sad to leave. As I’ve said, we were told during the first week that there were relatively few guests staying so the atmosphere was very relaxed and you did not feel crowded. We felt there were definitely more people during the second week of our stay and this changed a little, but it was still a truly excellent place to stay. The variety of people and ages may have been to do with the time of year we went, but I can only report what I saw and experienced! I’d recommend the Vulcano to anyone and if we return to Tenerife we will definitely stay there again.

3  Thank Baso
Reviewed 16 August 2009

I am a 16 year old male who went to this hotel with my parents and wanted to give my opinion on the hotel as I was worried prior to the trip that some people said the place was full of older people who didn't treat young people with respect with similar things written about the staff. This is simply not true. The staff were friendly, gave me a great deal of respect and were more than happy to help no matter what you wanted

GUESTS

There were also a lot of people in my age bracket meaning I actually made some friends there. Even though there were a variety of age groups through the hotel there was no trouble involving drunks meaning everything was pleasent. There were occasions when I did come in late e.g. 2 am but I was quiet and respectful which means there was no problem whatsoever.

ENTERTAINMENT

Although the entertainment seemed to be either spectacular or dreadful this should not affect your decision on whether to use this hotel as surely the point of visiting a destination like this is to experience the nightlife of which there is wide variety from pubs and clubs to cocktail bars. I will recommend Chasers (Find Mango Turn Right) which has absolutely amazing enetertainment with the Wild Boys that will have you crying with laughter whatever your age but also appreciating the fact they can actually sing and the BUDA cocktail bar which is quite expensive but has a nice relaxing atmosphere, great singer and amazing cocktails.

HYGIENE

I think the most impressive thing about this hotel is the cleanliness. The sunbeds pool and pool area were cleaned meticulously everyday and I can't begin to describe the condition of the toilets and restaurant. The rooms were also cleaned perfectly and were done with haste.

ROOMS

I was in a standard room by myself on the ground floor over-looking the pool with a terrace which was brilliant. However, I will point out that there is a risk you could next to lane that is often busy so if you want peace it is a lottery with the standard room but guranteed with the superior rooms that overlook the pool ot the botanical garden and also include nice gestures like robes special pool towels gift baskets etc. So the rooms are amazing considering the time you will actually spend in them.

POOL AREA AND THINGS TO DO

I also noticed when reading some reviews was that towels were removed from sunbeds if they were not being used. Even though it does mention this in the hotel itself it wasn't enforced as it wasn't necessery because the pool area wasn't packed. I can't say what happens when the hotel is full but in this recession I can't see that happening...but I will say the system does sound quite effecient anyway.
The hotel also has staff who organise and carry out activities for the guests. Examples include darts, water aerobics, archery and French Boulles and water polo. On one day there was a 6 and 60 year old playing with 14 other people paricipating which I think emphasizes the great atmosphere of the hotel. Expanding on this, the hotel does have 4 pool tables, 2 tennis tables, a air hockey table, 2 videogame machines, 1 pinball machine and 3 computer with internet (1 Euro = 10 minutes...2 Euro = 24 minutes). So there isn't just sunbathing in this hotel.

FOOD & DRINK

Last year I stayed in the Best and the food absolutely blew me away. The Vulcanos food was also excellent even if it did lack the variety of the Best I can assure you that you won't leave hungry or feeling cheated. One thing I did notice that the Vulcano beat the Best on was the prices for food and drinks. You can get a large beer for under three euros and a meal that can easily get you to dinner for 4-6 euros. The cocktails were also a very reasonablr 6 euros as were the shorts.

Another thing I was worried about was the DRESS CODE whether it had to be black trousers etc.
Well..the women and children can really wear anything within reason as can the men for breakfast.
However in the night the men must wear long trousers or jeans...The colour or style doesn't seem to matter.

To conclude, i will be the first to admit this isn't the best and certainly not the most organised review but I felt I had to address some of the things that made me worry about going to this hotel. All I will say this hotel can make this holiday the best of your life whatever you want out of you Trip.

*I haven't reviewed the spa and hairdressing facilities (These do cost) as I didn't use them.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
6  Thank CymraegBoy
Reviewed 16 August 2009

Me and my boyfriend stayed at the Vulcano from 4th August to the 14th. Everything about it was perfect. Upon arrival to the hotel, we were greeted by very friendly and helpful reception staff and checked in nice and quick :) Our room was on the 5th floor and we had amazing views of mount teide on one side of the balcony and the sea on the other. Room was very clean and tidy and had a nice bathroom. Maid service every day and they changed the sheets twice while we were there. (Maids were also friendly).

Food was absolutely delicious, they had everything ranging from lasagne, steaks, salmon, sole, squid.....a lot to choose from. And the desserts were to die for. (I've also just discovered that I've put on half a stone from eating so much!).

Before coming to the Vulcano, me and my boyfriend had read a few reviews stating that this hotel was more like a retirement home due to a lot older people staying there. I'm 19 and my boyfriend was 21 so we were kind of worrying about it....but, this was not the case at all thankfully. There was a wide range of ages, and we had no trouble whatsoever. Everyone was friendly enough.

Pool was lovely, got sunbeds every day, and there was a bit of shade should you need it (it was reaching 39c almost everyday we were there!).

Hotel was close to the beach, supermarket next door, bars within walking distance...

In general this hotel was perfect and we really enjoyed our stay here and would definitely love to visit again!

1  Thank xnattyx
Reviewed 9 August 2009

we have just returned from a 10 day stay at the vulcano,everything was first class from checking in to checking out,the food was excellent,the hotel was spotlessly clean,the room was spacious with maid service every day and the bedding changed twice during our stay too.we found all of the staff courteous and helpful,nothing was too much trouble,the pool area was well equiped with lots of free sunbeds which we never had any trouble getting one no matter what time of day we went round the pool,the sunbeds were also shaded should you need it.we will definately be staying at the vulcano again and would recommend this hotel to anyone.all in all we had a very pleasant stay at the vulcano

Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank yapperRotherham
Reviewed 8 August 2009

We have stayed at the Vulcano four times. We love it as we know all of the staff (the bar and restaurant staff always welcome us) which makes us feel good. We stumbled across the Vulcano whilst we were holidaying in Los Cristianos when our daughter was nine. We were on the beach nearby and a couple recommended it to us. We had a look and liked the tropical garden setting in their reception. We then saved hard to go and have been hooked ever since. My daughter is very shy and is very self-conscious around the pool. So we just get sunbeds as near to the pool as possible and stay there all day. We are happy that there are few children who frequent this hotel, as it cuts down alot on noise. Nearly everyone who has stayed at this hotel has returned (some as many as 12 times). This is the hotel's recommendation - those who return year after year.

Pool and Bar: The bar is very expensive, but also convenient if you can't be bothered to get dressed for lunching out. We do buy drinks and ice cream from the supermarket next door and this has proved to be a lot cheaper. We were pleased that there is a restriction on towels being left on sunbeds now, as in years past, sunbeds were needlessly saved "all day" for those selfish people who were often out shopping before sunbathing in the afternoon. It would be good if there were more umbrellas to provide adequate shade. The only downside with the pools - they are boring! Some hotels have jacuzzi type areas where you can sit, and bridges you can walk across. It would be nice if a bit more imagination could be employed for the two pools.

Day time activities: My husband and daughter thoroughly enjoy the daily activities, but they would like to see a bit more variety. Perhaps we could have a couple of quizzes (as the majority of the patrons are English).

Restaurant: We love the restaurant and this is the main reason why we return to the Vulcano year after year. The food is well cooked and tastes fresh and is olive oil free! There is a great variety, especially for my daughter who is very fussy. Drinks unfortunately are very pricey though.

Entertainment: The entertainment is very good. Unfortunately, I hate all the columns in the lounge which severely restrict your view. Unless you get a front seat prior to dinner early in the evening (perhaps they should have pool attendants on standby checking that nobody reserves them before 8pm!!) you have to watch the TV screens which have been set up. And as for Robert Philippe!! He should be retired!! He is very outdated and boring. After the entertainment has gone home, it would be better to have more upbeat music as opposed to old fogey music by him.

Our Room: We always ask for the same room on the 1st floor facing the pool. It's lovely and quiet and of a very high standard. There is a problem with tiny ants, but as long as you don't leave food around, they're not a nuisance. Just one niggle about the lights on the balcony. In winter time they are switched off dead on midnight. In summer they are switched off a little later. It would be nice to have the option of manually turning your light on - as when you've returned from the evening's entertainment you often like to sit out on the balcony. My husband usually brings paperwork he needs to work on after my daughter and I have gone to bed, or sometimes we just like to read and have a drink - and this isn't possible in the dark. Most of the hotel guests are very quiet, so I don't think this would be a huge problem. However, I expect you'd probably get those party revellers who would stay all night out on the balcony and disturb other guests.

The fridge: Yes, we noticed that they are very strict about the fridge. My daughter takes medicine which needs to be kept cold and although they allow us to put our personal drinks in the fridge without paying for it, the fridge is inspected every day to see if their drinks have been moved or drunk. On occasion, they have taken our drinks out and locked the fridge, but we thought that is was standard practice for abusing this facility which we hadn't paid for.

But all in all, we love this hotel and my daughter especially loves to return year after year. It's a great location and in a quiet spot.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family