“Perfectly situated, perfect rooms, excellent staff and a wonderful example of how a hotel should be.”
Review of Hotel Sir Anthony

Hotel Sir Anthony
Lymington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Just returned from a week at the Sir Anthony hotel (14-21 Nov 2013). We stayed in Room 308, on the second floor (one of the duplex rooms with roof-top sunbathing area and plunge pool).

Marie Nostrum resorts operate three hotels upon what is essentially one very large site. The Mediterranean Palace and Cleopatra are mass-market value hotels while the Sir Anthony (with rooms at approximately three times the cost) is their luxury offering.

All three hotels boast a “five star” rating. But (as any regular traveller to Tenerife knows) “five star” in Tenerife is more like a UK three star. The Mediterranean Palace and Cleopatra have rooms that would be considered a three star in the UK but the Sir Anthony… well this is the “real deal” and is (for my money) a true five star hotel (and is three times as good, thus justifying triple the price)!

The Room 10/10

I had a second-floor duplex. On one floor is the room itself with balcony and then a stainless steel spiral staircase leads to a huge roof terrace.

The roof terrace has two sunbeds, a parasol and a “plunge pool”. The plunge pool is more of the size of a large bath and about two feet deep – definitely not for swimming in but still a very nice detail that added to the luxury experience.

I didn’t see any of the rooms on the lower two floors but I think the loss of the terrace and plunge pool would have seriously eroded the “wow” factor for me and I’d always go for a duplex if I stay here again (as surely I will).

The hotel has done a wonderful job on the room. High quality fixtures and fittings have been used throughout. A plasma TV, glass-fronted fridge, bath with Jacuzzi sprays, air-conditioning that doesn’t switch off when you leave the room, “wet room” style shower, very, very comfortable super king size bed, plenty of wardrobe space, safe, tea and coffee making facilities, black marble tiling, CD player… it would be very difficult to fault. Some lovely touches as well: A bottle of Cava on ice when you arrive, towelling robes/slippers and chocolates left on the pillows before you arrive home in the evening. I was also delighted and surprised to find that the TV had a good selection of UK channels, ITV, BBC, Sky News and others.

I was very pleased to note that, unlike the more utilitarian Med Palace and Cleopatra properties, the Sir Anthony management does not indulge in nonsense such as charging for “extras” like WiFi, the room safe, fridges, kettles etc. I’m sure that they realize that their guests have already paid a good price for their room and everything that goes with it. Full marks for this refreshingly sensible attitude.

The Staff 10/10

Clearly the group’s best staff have been recruited for this, their flagship hotel. All happy, all smiles, nothing too much trouble. Absolutely perfect.

Outside, 10/10

A wonderful swimming pool with plenty of loungers. Waiters circulating with complimentary fruit drinks. Nothing not to like here.

Cleanliness 9/10

The room was spotless. All public areas as clean as they could possibly be. Early in the morning an army of staff can be seen trimming the grass and hedges and maintaining an almost impossible level of cleanliness both inside and outside the hotel.

The only detail I noticed was that the stainless steel fittings (of which there are many) were not being polished. The stainless steel spiral staircase leading to the rooftop terrace had the top rails gleaming but the lower two were quite heavily tarnished. I noticed this at breakfast too where the stainless steel framework above the breakfast bar hadn’t been cleaned for some time. Only a small detail but, when everything else is so perfect, it is noticeable. If it were my hotel I’d employ a “stainless steel man” just to keep the metalwork as gleaming as everything else.

Breakfast 7/10

A real shame that I can’t report that breakfast was excellent. Certainty guests got the impression that they were somewhere very special at breakfast. Greeting and sit-down was perfect. Ambience was also excellent. The staff worked very hard and were prompt and efficient. A beautifully printed menu offered a huge selection of different food. I took the “English Breakfast” consisting of egg, bacon, baked beans, mushrooms and tomato.

I’ve never understood why so many chefs have such a problem cooking bacon. It is so simple to get right. On the second day I received a soggy and fatty uneatable mass of uncooked bacon that I had to leave on my plate. I made the staff aware of this. On the second day I impressed upon them (when I ordered) that I wanted my bacon to be “crispy”…. Once again the soggy uneatable mass appeared so I did remonstrate with the waitress. To their credit the bacon was taken away and replaced with bacon that was only slightly uncooked (but still one rasher was inedible). Such an easy problem to remedy (every other ingredient was first class).

My advice to management is to go to the “Surfer Bar” (walk 100 yards along the prom towards Los Christianos and there it is). Try one of their simply world-class 5 Euro breakfasts and then you’ll know how bacon should be presented. By the way, the Surfer and its next door neighbour (Friends bar) are outrageously cheap and unexpectedly excellent. Surfer breakfasts are amongst the best I’ve ever had and the Friends Tapas (four for about 15 Euros) are gourmet class!

We looked at the main Sir Anthony restaurant menu (which looked good both in terms of choice and price) but didn’t eat there during our stay. We will eat there on our next stay if they have mastered how to fry bacon by then!

Foyer 10/10

A real piano player and a real grand piano. And playing from early until late as well. Nothing elevates a hotel above the ordinary more than piano music played live, it just puts a big smile on your face and makes everything in the world wonderful. Well done!

Newspaper service 2/10

This really needs to be fixed. You can order your newspapers and maybe they will be there in the morning and maybe not. If you do get your paper it may have somebody else’s name on it. Your paper will not be delivered to your room (they even deliver in Travel Inns), you’ll have to go and get it from reception (if it is there at all).

At first I thought that maybe it was one of those island things, where the aircraft didn’t arrive so there were no papers, but a quick trip over to road to the shops showed papers in abundance. Too much trouble for the staff to simply go over the road and buy them? If the hotel has pretensions of true five star luxury this needs to be attended to. Having a newspaper at breakfast is an important part of my holiday!

Location 10/10

We’ve stayed in all four Canary Islands and find Tenerife to be the best place to be. In Tenerife we like Puerto de la Cruz but like Playa even better. This hotel is situated in the best location, in the best place, on the best Island. The room has an unobstructed view straight out to sea. It gets no better than this.

Conclusion

The Sir Anthony is one of life’s true gems. Perfectly situated, perfect rooms, excellent staff and a thoroughly wonderful example of how a hotel should be. There are one or two little details that could be improved upon (as there are in every area of life). This is an expensive hotel by any standard so expectations should be high (and in almost every area the Sir Anthony meets or exceeds expectations). Stay here and you will never regret your hotel choice.

Room Tip: The duplex rooms on the second floor (with roof terrace) are obviously the best.... but also the mos...
3 Thank JonathanHoag
Esteban Sedano C, Director General at Hotel Sir Anthony, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for the time you certainly invested on writing such an amazingly detailed report about your holidays with us.

I have enjoyed reading your description of our services and facilities, and of course have noticed your suggestions regarding the quality of our breakfast bacon and paper service. I guarantee that we will do our best to improve both points.

We will be pleased to welcome you again in the near future. Do not hesitate to contact us for anything you might need regarding your next stay. I´ll be happy to assist you.

Esteban Sedano

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We stayed at the Sir Anthony for two weeks in November and it was perfect in every way. This is service at its best and we cannot thank ALL the staff enough for looking after us. So so friendly and helpful. The hotel is by far one of the best we have stayed in and we travel a lot. You've just got to stay there to see for yourselves!

Of course, we will return hopefully next year...

Room Tip: Any room is fantastic, we had a 3rd floor room with a private pool and sunbathing area upstairs, but...
1 Thank Anna-Adam-D
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive review and for posting it here on TripAdvisor.

I´m glad to know that you have enjoyed our services and facilities and hope to have the chance to welcome you again soon.

Do not hesitate to visit our web page for any information on prices or availability, as well as for any special request. We will be happy to meet your expectations.

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Just returned from a fantastic week at Sir Anthony a lovely peaceful hotel where the staff could not do enough for us. Room was spotlessly clean and very spacious with a balcony looking over the sea to watch the sunset The room was very well equipped with a large glass screened bathroom which added to the spacious feel. Sunday brunch was great so chilled out relaxing in the garden with live background music being played at a pleasant level.
Thank you to all the staff for a great holiday we couldn't fault your attentiveness and attention to detail throughout our stay and hope to return next year..

Room Tip: Take an aux lead with you and can listen to your ipod music through the room stereo
3 Thank Chris21a2013
Esteban Sedano C, Director General at Hotel Sir Anthony, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Guest,

It is us who must thank you for being so kind of sharing your nice comments here on Tripadvisor.

I´m really pleased to know of your satisfaction with our services and staff and will be glad to welcome you again in the future.

Do not hesitate to visit our web page for any information regarding your next booking or for any request. We´ll be happy to assist you.

wales
Reviewed 13 November 2013

First time in the hotel, the staff were fantastic from the word go, Catia, Nouria and Sandra (charlies angels) outstanding. The room was superb and the view was fantastic too!! We will be returning soon as the hotel and staff made you feel as if you were royalty as there was nothing that they couldnt do for you. Highly recommend this hotel if you want a relaxing break. Thank you everyone at the hotel x x

Room Tip: all rooms are fab!!!
4 Thank woddy77777
Esteban Sedano C, Director General at Hotel Sir Anthony, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear Guest,

It is me who must thank you for your nice comments and for sharing them here with other travellers.

I´m most pleased to know of your satisfaction and of course will be happy to welcome you again in the future.

Do not hesitate to contact us for anything you might need regarding your next stay. Our Charlie´s Angels will do their best to meet your requests.

northern ireland
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Wonderful hotel, from the welcome I knew I had made a great choice. The room was spacious, the bed, pillows and bedding luxurious, bathroom marvellous and the views stunning. Plunge pool, loungers and parasol on the second storey terrace plus a small terrace outside room. The main pool and loungers were great with plenty of towels. The breakfast was something else the staff literally brought you what your heart desired. Will be back very soon. Thank you.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank boys47
Esteban Sedano C, Director General at Hotel Sir Anthony, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice comments and for posting them here on TripAdvisor.

I´m pleased to know of your satisfaction with our services and facilities and hope to have the chance to welcome you again soon.

Do not hesitate to visit our webpage for information on prices and availability or for any special request. We´ll be happy to assist you.

Blackpool
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Sir Anthony 1 to 8 October after choosing hotel for location and highly rated services. Absolutely delightful break with excellent food, wonderful attentive staff.Especially recommend breakfast any day but Sunday brunch fabulous. All evening meals here were faultless and already looking forward to a return visit.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Sheila B
Esteban Sedano C, Director General at Hotel Sir Anthony, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear Sheila B,

I´m pleased to know that you have enjoyed your break at our hotel and I hope to have the chance to welcome you again soon.

If you visit our web page you will find the best rates available, as well as other information of interest.

Do not hesitate to contact us for anything you need. We´ll be happy to assist you.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Planning nearly a last minute get away in the sun Teneriffe been the best option.
My main concern of staying in Playa de Las Americas has been - how true to life are the photos and praying for having no kids around the pool.
Experience : pictures are really REAL. Nearly no kids ( families with kids used the pool facilities of the next door hotels of the same group ) , incredible quietness, peaceful atmosphere and sea view.
I know it sounds unbelievable but that was true - the entire 10 days it felt like being in a dream location. Perhaps, the 300 e/night is the key to success or that the hotel is just 3 years old , but I would definitely repeat the experience. Breakfasts are marvellous, couple of dinners we had there were really spectacular price wise/quality .
I d gladly come back - if they d give me 20% discount :)))
Overall - if you are after restore and recharge thats perhaps really the best location there.

Room Tip: The ground floor is probably the best - then you dont need to walk back too far to get to your room...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank CityOrchid
Dear Cityorchid,

Thank you very much for your nice comments about your recent stay with us.

I´m very happy to know that you have enjoyed your holidays and specially que tranquility of our hotel together with its service and facilities.

I would like to invite you to visit our web page, where you can check availability and find the best prices for the dates of your choice, as well as special promotions and events.

Do not hesitate to contact us for any assistance with your next booking at any of our hotels. We´ll be happy to help you.

Esteban Sedano
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa de las Americas
Cleopatra Palace Hotel
Europe Villa Cortes
Europe Villa Cortes
#7 of 58 in Playa de las Americas
Hotel Las Madrigueras Golf Resort & Spa
Hotel Las Madrigueras Golf Resor...
#1 of 58 in Playa de las Americas
IBEROSTAR Grand Hotel El Mirador
Hotel H10 Big Sur
Hotel H10 Big Sur
#1 of 14 in Los Cristianos

Been to Hotel Sir Anthony? Share your experiences!