“Great Break”

Catalonia Oro Negro
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Booked this Hotel direct and I have to say I will be booking it again next time as well. The room was excellent with a view of the sea and the golf course, I had requested if possible one or the other so to get both was fantastic(thanks Miguel).The Hotel is kept very clean and tidy as is the pool area but that is down to the hard working staff who always say hello with a smile. The food for a 3 star Hotel is the best I have encountered fresh and plentiful and changes each night even had steaks on cooked fresh to order and to your liking.
Breakfast again superb and omlettes and fresh cooked eggs to order again what more could you want.
The Hotel had more older guests staying and mostly spanish which for my wife and myself was great and this made for a more relaxed chilled out stay.I am planning going back again hopefully later this year or early next and take my son and daughter as well who are 20 and 15 and I think would love this hotel too. Thanks again to all at the Oro Negro for a great stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RobAils
Write a ReviewReviews (2,324)

Reviewed 17 May 2012

With the British weather the way it has been,we decided to search for some sun.We looked no further than the Oro Negro in Las Americas as we had enjoyed our stay there in February.We were given a warm welcome back by the reception staff and were given a well appointed room on the top floor overlooking the sea.Since our last visit the t v sets have been replaced by flat screens and hairdryers added to the bathrooms.The food was again very tasty but a little more variation could be added for vegetarians.The sunbed situation was better controlled this visit.As the hotel had a lot of Spanish people in it the entertainment and music was geared primarily to them but it did not spoil our enjoyment of the holiday.Overall,a pleasant stay.Our thanks to the helpful staff on all levels.We will be back.

Room Tip: Beware if booking room on ground floor as there is a lot of passing 'traffic' to rooms and t...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2012

The staff at this hotel were brilliant, very friendly and helpful. The entertainment staff were excellent, especially with getting the kids involved.
The hotel itself was lovely, great rooms and fantastic food.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Simon P
ORONEGRO, Subdirector at Catalonia Oro Negro, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2012

Dear Simon P,

thank you for having taken your time to send us your opinion. I appreciate your comments about the staff and I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Catalonia Oro Negro and I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again soon.

Amjad Alfares
Manager Assistant
Hotel Catalonia Oro Negro

Reviewed 7 May 2012

Hotel very nice, spacious, rooms very big with good size bathroom, although our bath was not very wide, so if you are on the large size beware you dont get stuck.
Meals were very nice and you could watch your meat or eggs being cooked how you like them.
Staff really friendly and helpful.
only fault we had were the restaurant chairs were wobbly with a couple having loose arms and legs.
Entertainment was either dancing or free bingo, so we had to go out looking for our entertainment.
We found a good bar left out of the hotel, called Th13teen, owner very nice and friendly,
also turn right out of hotel and there is the Jersey Cow bar has good live music on.
Hotel a bit out of the way for lively night life but if they invested in a few good singing acts and catered more for all nationalities, ( not only Spanish ) then they might get more people to stay in hotel on the night and buy their drinks.
If you want quiet holiday or dont mind waking go for this hotel.
One good thing, they do not put the sun loungers out till 10am so people can't grab one before going for breakfast, and pool is kept very clean.

Room Tip: Floor 6 pool side was quiet, small balcony got sun on the morning, but it moves round during the da...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank dogloverSunderland

Dear dogloverSunderland ,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us since it helps us to improve our facilities and services.

I regret that there have been some details concerning restaurant chairs and entertainment were not to your satisfaction. I ask you to accept my apologies.
You can be sure that we will take your feedback as a chance to improve the aspects you mention.

I hope to welcome you again soon to Hotel Catalonia Oro Negro.

Hotel catalonia Oro Negro

Reviewed 29 April 2012

Ive stayed in this hotel many times before however this was the first since Nov 2009.
What we love about this hotel most is the food. The restaurant is by far 4* eating. Loads of choice for breakfast and dinner. Highlightes are the made to order station that in the morning fresh eggs or omeletes are made and at dinner fresh fish or meat is cooked right infront of you. The rest is all buffet style. We took our 10 week old baby with us in March and they even had a microwave to heat her milk, big bonus as you can also use at dinner time too.
The hotel is situated at the back of Las Americas and is just farther up the hill from a few "massage" places however it doesnt mar the enjoyment of the holiday and to escape it all you need to do is walk down the hill right from outside hotels front doors. No big deal.
My only negative about the holiday that is quite annoying is that repeat guests (that we have seen many years in a row and still there in March) "reserve" their sunbed spot just after 9am every morning so no-one else gets it. Beds arent supposed to be available until 10am when they are "unlocked" however repeat guests have other ideas and because the chains are loose the beds and chairs are out beforehand. No-one from hotel says anything so they continue to reserve and book their sunbed spot. If they cant get a bed then they still reserve the spot by dragging over a parasol and hanging up a plastic bag with their sunbathing bits and pieces in it! This is the only thing i wish the management would crack down on, its very annoying for other guests but is funny to watch how obsessed people get.
Other than above the hotel, staff and rooms are fab and we will return almost everytime we travel to Tenerfe.

Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank AnneHamilton18

Dear AnneHamilton18 ,

I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay at Hotel catalonia Oro Negro and I assure you to take your comments as a chance to review the aspects you’ve mentioned.

I regret that there have been some details, as that some guests book their sunbed spot before they supposed to be available, and I ask you to accept my apologies.

I hope to welcome you again soon to Hotel Catalonia Oro Negro.

Assistant Manager
Hotel Catalonia Oro Negro.

Reviewed 28 April 2012

myself and my partner booked a late deal with thompson for a week, we arrives at the hotel before check in but got straight into are room which was great.... The room actually had two rooms a massive balcony, walk in shower, bath and 2 sinks and the whole place was imaculate, Rooms cleaned every day by a very friendly housekeeper....but all the beds are singles pushed together, we are used to sleeping in a king size bed and hated falling down the middle of the beds onto a tiled floor!!! we where half board so u get breakfast and then either lunch or dinner which was great as we had options. Breakfast was really really good and my boyfriend a sous chef was very please too, they even have a chef cooking omlettes and eggs on the spot! but if your a coffee drinker, just take your own as the coffee was horrible! lunch was also really nice, lovely salads and hot grilled meats and all sorts of over things as the buffet is massive, the only down side was the staff, they could be quite rude sometimes and sometimes to busy to take your drink order and often just assumed u wanted water!!
lovely hotel and would definatly stay here again.
the pool area was extreamly clean and nice and quite although there is some intervels of entertainment going on throughtout the day.
we stayed in this hotel at the end or march and as the weather was slightly cooler the location was on to walk too and from the beach but it is on a small hill and about a 10 min walk from the beach and the massive water park but taxis are very cheap! Are rep Kenny was lovely tho and really helpfull.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Philippa O

Dear Philippa O ,

Thank you for this detailed feedback on your visit to Hotel Catalonia Oro Negro. I am glad that you and your boyfriend enjoyed your stay with us and I thank you for letting us know about it.

I assure you that we take your opinion as a chance to improve our service with regard to the points you mention as the beds, coffee and the staff.

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon at Hotel Catalonia Oro Negro.

Hotel Catalonia Oro Negro

Reviewed 21 April 2012

Stayed here with my 3 year old son from the 14th - 20 April and really cannot think of anything bad about the Oro Negro. Lovely room that was cleaned evryday and the facilities of the hotel is 1st class. Lovely food and the staff, especially Simona in the restaurant who ensured my son enjoyed his stay. Beach is within easy walking distance, and many supermarkets, restaurants etc are around the hotel. Would definitely recommend this hotel !!!

Room Tip: Higher floors will have a better view
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank SFV72
oronegro_direccion, Director General at Catalonia Oro Negro, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Dear SFV72 ,

Thank you very much for your warm comments. Your feedback is motivation for us to keep working passionately in order to satisfy our guests. I am very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay in Hotel catalonia Oro Negro and I sincerely hope to welcome you again soon.

Thank you in again for sharing your experience.

José Perea