“AMAAAAZING”

Catalonia Oro Negro
Bristol, United Kingdom
“AMAAAAZING”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2012

Stayed with 2 friends, (all 18yrs old), first girly holiday abroad and the hotel made it perfect. Location is good, close enough to everything, but far enough away you can relax as well. Staff had good enough English to understand us, buffet was very good as well!
We went half board, and found we could eat enough breakfast to not have to buy lunch (we were on a tight budget!) and could last until evening meal. Nothing ran out and all seemed very well cooked, also a bit where you could get food freshly cooked in front of you, bit annoying about having to buy drinks in the evening, but understandable.
Pool was warm and clean, lifeguard on duty all day, enough sunbeds and umbrella's, also found a smaller private pool slightly away from the main one which was lovely.
Room was bright and clean, with a brilliant fan, it didn't make any noise so you could have it on overnight, and worked well, slightly annoying about having to pay for a safe, but we didn't need it in the end, hair-dryer in the bathroom as well which was good, no iron though- would be useful! Bed's also very comfortable.
Evening entertainment provided (didn't actually use it though) and things for children to do as well.

Overall, amazing hotel and would definitely return! Don't listen to the bad reviews! (No cockroaches as well, some people say they saw them, but we didn't! Also we didn't see any prostitutes, which some people also say they saw, but we didn't come across any!)

Room Tip: We got a middle level room (5th floor) overlooking the pool and was really good.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank LottieWild

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Dundee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

stayed at this hotel between 15 june and 1st july great location smack in the middle of everything and far enough away from any noise.check in was no problem and as for keeping your passport for one day ,all hotels do this.we were on the 8th floor in B block which suited us and there is an alternative lift in the stairwell which some people never knew about.we had a room for three adults(family) room was bigger than most other hotels we have stayed in.we were half board and could not fault the food,the only small thing was the dining room was a bit cramped.we were quite surprised by the gesture of free champagne one night each week,do not know the reason but gratefully accepted.all staff were cheerful and efficient and would always talk to you when appropriate.would not hesitate to go back.

Room Tip: good views from block B above floors 4
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank ally037
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

My boyfriend (aged 22) and I (aged 19) stayed at Oro Negro from 29th June - 6th July.. and we had a brilliant time at this hotel. We stayed half board, and in room 501.

Upon arrival, check in was pretty quick, although our passports were taken for some reason (perhaps to scan or take details). She said they'd be returned within an hour, but we wanted to go out and explore the resort and get a drink, so went back after half an hour, and hey presto, they were finished with them and I got them back.

We were given room 501, a lovely big room, with a corner balcony overlooking the ocean, Veronicas.. you could see across quite a bit of the resort from our room. The bathroom was also pretty big compared to other hotels I have been to. There is a lot of wardrobe space for your clothes, and a fan that actually works in the room (we didn't need any air con). There was only one electrical socket, which was a bummer, as we could have used perhaps even one more, as we maybe wanted to both charge our phones etc, but it wasn't a major problem at all.. nothing to cry over.

The maid service was regular and they cleaned your room everyday, and left new towels for you. If you don't leave dirty towels in the wash basin like it says, they won't know that you want new towels and therefore won't leave any. The room was clean upon arrival, as was the balcony and surrounding areas. We did have one cockroach on our balcony, which we dealt with, and we saw none after that. Not a huge biggie either. I saw many cockroaches whilst on holiday in Tenerife, as long as they don't come in their numbers, it isn't a concern.

The food was exceptional for a 3 star rated hotel. Great selection of food at breakfast and dinner times. I even got a proper sausage at breakfast! Every evening, there was a chef who would cook you your meat, or spaghetti to how you like it, as well as a selection under the hot plates at the buffet counter. There was a wide range of food, and I don't know how anyone could possibly go hungry. Dessert selection, slightly lacking, but it is the same in every Spanish hotel.. they aren't 'big' on desserts like in the United Kingdom and the like.. so don't expect New York style chocolate cake, or apple pie.. their pastries and ice creams, plus the rice pudding were very nice, and I enjoyed them, as I like something light on holiday. The staff in the dining room are very pleasant and welcoming. Also I might mention on Thursday nights, everyone gets free champagne with their dinner, which I found quite nice, as I haven't experienced another 3 star hotel that gives their guests that kind of treatment. Smart tactic, it keeps us happy (and tipsy - as mine kept getting re-filled, haha).

The pool area was well kept, and there was always a lifeguard on duty. I could always get a sunbed, no matter what, no fuss made. All the other guests also seemed rather pleasant. The pool was great, I really enjoyed it - taking a dip in the shallow end, to swimming down to the deep end of the pool. I'm not really a sun worshipper, but the best of the sunshine seemed to be on the one side of the pool, and the other seemed to be in shade most of the time. The pool was clean - and it wasn't too cold that it was impossible to get in. In fact, it was rather refreshing on a really hot summer's day! Lifeguards are very friendly, I got a sunbed in the sunspot and he brought over an umbrella for me and put it up, which I found rather attentive.. which guests do love, they like to feel like the staff care about their guests.

The daytime entertainment seemed good for the older crowds staying at the hotel, such as games of bowls etc, although we didn't see much of it as we were out most of the day until the middle of the afternoon. My boyfriend had mentioned to me that he would have loved a game of football, and this would have kept him in the hotel a bit more during the day but he said that they didn't seem to do this. I think if they catered activities towards the younger crowds as well as the older crowds then it might balance it a bit more. But on the bright side, there always seemed to be something going on. I cannot comment on the evening entertainment, as I never stayed to listen or watch it, I always went out to the local bars for drinks instead.

The bar in the hotel is nicely set out, but I must mention that sometimes the staffs' English is lacking. Asked for a White Russian, and got a tea (I don't know how that worked out). Anyway, let this be a lesson to the rest of you to maybe point to the cocktail menu when ordering at the bar, just to make things a bit clearer. The prices seem reasonable, about the same as you'd pay out in a local bar, which is what keeps people happy as well.

Overall presentation of the hotel.. it is a lovely hotel, it looks great from the outside, but the reception area could do with a bit of refurbishment and perhaps a lick of paint in the rooms, although I did think the rooms were of a good standard compared to other hotels.

As for noise.. I never had any bother with noise from other guests etc during my stay. We did hear Veronicas a few nights when it was very loud, but that didn't bother us in the slightest, as we sleep through anything. Beds were actually pretty comfy and we slept well every night.

To finish.. the local area. I did notice a few people saying about the so-called 'red light' area, which I didn't even notice til the last 2 days of my holiday (it really isn't noticeable). We ate out one night out of choice as we fancied a change, and we got a 3 course meal in the Aberdeen Steakhouse for 7.50 euros - the food was good quality for what you paid. Resturante Vilaflor on the beach front is lovely for fancy cocktails, juices and huge boots of beer/soft drinks, and we also got great lunches there whilst glancing over to the beach. As I'm from Northern Ireland, The Gaelic Corner/The Dubliner trended a bit on our journeys, but if you really want a good night out with friendly banter, visit Cafe Amsterdam (which is on the road beside Burger King on the sea front, and just down the road from The Dubliner. The bar owners (Pim and Angelique) recognised us from last year.. how good is that?! They made us feel very welcome, and we aren't even Dutch. We went here every night without fail, because of the friendly atmosphere and the upbeat traditional Dutch music - best bar in las Americas.

Also for something different to do, try out the Treasure Island mini golf, which was very cheap to play, and they have two different courses to suit what kind of golfer you are (we found the hard one challenging, haha!) Anyway, it's a nice little golf course, beside it they have a kids park and a pool where you can, get this - walk in a bubble on water. Amazing for something different to do, and to occupy yourself if you're a big kid!

Already been to Loro Parque and Siam Park on previous visits, which were brilliant, but I wanted a more relaxing holiday this time round.. but these two places are a must if you are looking to get out and do some activities during your holidays.

Overall, once again, I've fallen all back in love with the island of Tenerife.. it gets harder to leave everytime I visit!

Room Tip: Stayed in room 501 - great room, with big balcony and lovely views.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank kcchiefette
north shields
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

Been to this hotel on loads of occasions. Always found it to be first class in cleanliness and friendliness. Have booked for 30th of April next year with another 2 couples Hope to get pool view rooms together. Would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank liz d
ORONEGRO, Assitant Manager at Catalonia Oro Negro, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Dear Liz d,

thank you for having taken your time to submit us your feedback.
I am very glad that we could give you an enjoyable stay at Hotel Catalonia Oro Negro and it would please us to welcome you again next year

Best regards from Tenerife.

Assistant Manager
menai bridge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

Here goes warts and all.
just returned home from Catalonia Oro Negro today after a 3 hour delay (thanks Monarch) Arrived at 9.30 pm and ushered into the dining room was a bit supprised it was open plenty of hot food left.
We wife and me 65/ 66 had a great time here value for money,breakfast is very good with plenty of choice,plenty of choice also at night veal very very nice beef tough couldnt chew it.
Had a bit of a battle to get towels as they were not replaced twice dissapeared after the cleaning .We did not bother with the aircon as the fan was very quiet and worked well.
The rooms are in need of refubrishing as there was only outlet pulg for charging phone etc all the other points were blanked off the beds were a good size only one had a leg missing they must know when a leg comes off !! telly very old and only sky news in english (YES I KNOW we dont come away to see tv but wife and coronation st !!!!!!!!!!) Bathroom ok but no handrail to help you get out of shower did slip once, showers very hot and good pressure.Im sure if they spent a bit on the rooms it would be a 4star.
Staff very helpful and curtious if spoken to properly Simone in the dining room was exeptional a credit to the hotel.The food waste must be horendous as loads were left on plates.
Pool area was spotless and well regulated plenty of sunbeds( locked up until the end of the cleaning) available all day no need to rush out to put towels on .
We were in A block facing the pool and had the sun in the afternoon very quiet every night no problems at all.
Not much of a walk to find a pub with 1 euro pint happy days.
As of the resort I have tried vaious hotels and self catering but this is the one I would come back to .a word of warning we spoke to a couple who were mugged by two gypsies beware ladies dont carry a handbag with money in.

For the ammount we paid we were very satisfied if you want 5 star pay for it.

Room Tip: try 558 or higher in A block
2 Thank unofon
Dear unofon,

Thank you very much for taking your time to send us this feedback and for choosing Hotel Catalonia Oro Negro during your stay in Tenerife.

We are very glad to know that you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us and were provided with the quality of service that we are committed to offer all our clients.

Furthermore, we also assure you that, your comments concerning the towels service, room furniture and electrical plug will be analyzed and taken into consideration.

We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Assitant Manager
liverpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

stayed at this hotel 23 june-30 june with my husband. Hotel was in a prime location, the room was spacious and very clean. weather was scorching and the ceiling fan and air conditioning were a godsend and worked wonders cooling the room in seconds. Hotel staff courtious and helpful at all times that goes for all members of staff. The pool area was spotless as was the pool because the cleaning staff cleaned both inside and out everyday for 2 hours no beds were able to be secured as this cleaning was going on. We stayed on a half board basis and could not fault the food, it was excellent, lots of choice in both breakfast and evening meal and most importantly it was ROASTING HOT FOOD and not lukewarm or cold. We would definatley use this hotel again and are already looking to book next year.

Room Tip: ask for pool view recepion building and you get a sea view too
3 Thank patricia b
ORONEGRO, Assistant Manager at Catalonia Oro Negro, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Dear Patricia b,

Thank you very much for choosing Hotel Catalonia Oro Negro for your stay in Tenerife

We are realy pleased to read that you appreciate our services, commentaries like yours make our efforts been rewarded.

Best regards.

Assistant Manager
Stoke on Trent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

Well, just by looking at the other reviews reference the excellent choice of food, and friendly professional service provided by all of the staff I cant really comment any more. My wfe and I stayed from the 8th - 22nd June and found the Hotel to be in a position where you are away from the hussle and bussle of the main strip but within easy access of Las Americas, Costa Adege, and Los Christianos (If you dont mind the evening stroll after dinner). Upon arrival we were given a room looking out over the Golf Course, but when politely asking for an alternative room we were happy to accomodate room 501 overlooking the sea, the strip and Hotel Las Piramides. For a 20 euro deposit you can have aircon and can close your balcony doors at night, which given the location of the Hotel and the fact that it is a lively resort, does keep out all outside noise allowing you to sleep well at night. During our stay at the Hotel we never heard any noise from within or observe any bad behaviour at all. All I can add is if you want 100% peace and tranquillity pay top dollar and get a Hotel way out of town! Further to add you cant please everyone, and you certainly cant know who is booked in to the room next to you so if like some of the feedback here relating to noise really concernes you pay a hugh difference in price and stay elsewhere - it really is that simple. I saw no rush or queues for the sun loungers and everyone was relaxed and civilised. We had a brilliant fortnight here and were a little upset to be leaving, unlike some previous destinations. Remember after all a holiday is what you make of it. Dont be a typical pompus person expecting 5 star plus treatment for the price you have paid - this type of person, and there are a lot out there will find fault with everything and anything no matter how trivial. By the way my wife and myself are 46 and 49 years of age. If you do decide to visit and have a problem be polite and approach the staff who will try 100% to help resolve any issues you may have. We will certainly stay at this hotel again when next in Tenerife. All the best Ged and Deb

4 Thank Ged_EStokeonTrent
, Assistant Manager at Catalonia Oro Negro, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Dear Ged_EStokeonTrent,

I would like to express you my most heartfelt thanks for taking your time to send us this detailed feedback following your recent stay with us.
I'm delighted to hear that we were able to give you this nice experience and I hope to welcome you again soon.

Assistan Manager