“great hotel, great value for money”

Catalonia Oro Negro
Meath ireland
“great hotel, great value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Only home today from a great 11 nite famiky break at this hotel, family room. Like 2 hotel rooms except 1 shower. Fine 4 us. Very comfortable beds. Air con gud. Fab breakfast and v gud value in bar in evening. Didnt do dinner in hotel so cant comment. Pool v cold. Wifi v poor. Pkease improve. Hope to return next year. 10 min walk from major activity but worth it price wise

2 Thank Deirdre M
DomingoPerez, Director General at Catalonia Oro Negro, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Deirdre M,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience in our hotel in Tripadvisor.com. Our guests´ opinions give us support to continue improving our services and help us very much.
It is nice to read that you think this is a great hotel and a great value for money.
We are working now tho intall wifi in the whole hotel and improve it. I hope in your next visit you will find it better.
I hope to welcome you next year in our hotel

Domingo Pérez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Fochabers, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Myself and my boyfriend stayed in this hotel from the 20th-26th of April and had a fantastic time! My boyfriend had never been on holiday abroad before so it was a completely new experience for him being in a new country. I had read previous TripAdvisor reviews before going and had emailed the hotel and requested a room not on the ground floor. I had no response to my email but when we got there we were placed in a brilliant room. We were on the corner in room 738. It had views of the pool and sea to the front and on the left views of the mountain. We were stunned that we'd been so lucky to have a room with a great view.

We arrived quite late at around 9.15pm however they served dinner until 10 so we went to have some food. The choice was amazing! We discovered there were different meats on each day but definately something for everyone. There were steaks cooked right infront of you each night and the choice varied from salad to pizza to spaghetti to whatever you wanted. Breakfast was also the same buffet style and the choice there was excellent aswell! We couldn't believe how lucky we'd been!

The hotel location is also great. It's far enough away from the Veronica strip that it's reasonably quiet at night but it's also only a 10 minute walk to the beach and shops.

Overall we had an amazing stay! Can't say much about the entertainment because we were asleep quite early most nights due to having early starts and spent most of the days out of the hotel. One night we did have a look in and it was bingo for the mostly older guests so we decided not to go in.

Thank you to all staff at Oro Negro. We had a fantastic stay and will be back!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 50TravelTheWorld
Dear 50TravelTheWorld,
Thank you very much for sharing your new experience in our hotel. Your comments give us support to continue improving and help us very much.
It is nice to read that you and your boyfriend had a fantasticl holiday at our hotel.
Thank you very much for your comments
Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Arrived home last night thank goodness , the hotel is a typical three star which requires updating especially the rooms, if you are lucky enough to get a premium room it's worth paying the extra.
The first room we were offered had a strong musty damp smell, when I asked to moved and offered to pay the male receptionist , he didn't speak just gave me a key to try another room which was furnished the same but no smell and a pool view which we accepted. Many of the floor tiles were loose and chipped I have the bruised toes to prove it, again receptionist not interested.
The food as other people have stated was good. Simone in the restaurant is I would say a great asset to the hotel as is the young receptionist who is on an internment both Smile and recognise you and always say Hello.
On our final day around 120 you music fans arrived at the hotel mostly Spanish, the rest that happened is too long to go on about, but I would ask Why the management couldn't control the noise which went on throughout the day and night, when I am told that this happens every year, I would also challenge the manager to sleep in the room we had and try and get some sleep as we were returning home next morning. This experience spoilt which up until had accepted the hotels downfalls. If you are going to the hotel and want a fridge in the room they charge 40 euros a week
You could buy a second hand one for that. The only saving grace was we didn't pay a lot for our stay but would rather of payed more and had a better experience. The hotel should let agents know what is going on in the hotel and let the customer choose if they want to stay when something like this is happening in the area. Not sure if it is the norm but sheets on the bed had holes in them and not changed in the 6 days we were there.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a premium room which is 20 euros and includes a fridge ,tea & coffee making fa...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KerrsScotland
Dear KerrsScotland ,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience in our hotel with other guests in Tripadvisor.com. Our guests´ feedback helps us to improve our services and avoid mistakes.
I apologize if you felt some of our receptionists was not interested in your needs. Our Aim is to give our guests the best service. We are working now to have soon more Premium Rooms in the hotel so paying a Little extra you can have nice extras.
I apologize as well if any other guest disturbed you your last night in the hotel. It is difficult for us to select guests in summer when a lot of guest buy by internet.
We always try to do our best and try everyone can enjoy their holidays.
I hope you will give us another chance to welcome you again in our hotel and show you the high standard of our services and cleanliness.
Derbyshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

am really struggling to understand why this hotel is rated 3 star. Have just returned a day or so ago so everything is still fresh in my mind. I travel as a family group including one small child. The more I pay for our holidays the more I expect! This was a budget last minute holiday for us and far exceeded all our expectations.

The hotel is one of the friendliest cleanest places i've been to in a few years. Reception is friendly and efficient. I had requested a sea or pool view on the 3rd or 4th floor in advance by email and was pleasantly surprised to receive exactly that. We had missed our evening meal (due to a horrendous thomson transfer – 30 minutes to get off the plane, through passport control, collect luggage and get on the coach – then a 90 minute wait on the coach outside the airport waiting for the next flight to get in. Thomson – get your act in gear – totally unacceptable when the coach hotel drop offs could be done in less than 45 minutes with another 20 minutes for the coach to get back to the airport). The hotel, without prompting told us we could have a lunch time meal as a replacement for our missed meal which we opted to take on the last day before our transfer back to the airport.

The room, although clean was dated and there were a few chipped tiles on the floor and some missing from the bathroom wall. Patio furniture was white plastic and the tv was a large backed one. No kettle though for a morning coffee but the restaurant isn't far away. Now I've said all of that you can dismiss it all – as we were there patio furniture was being replaced with new plastic wicker effect sets, tv's were being replaced by decent sized Grundig flat screens, floors were being replace and rooms spruced up. All of this was being done quietly and efficiently. We only heard light drilling on one afternoon. The room was cleaned, beds were made daily and the maid was very helpful when our little man had an overnight accident. Be aware that some of the rooms in what is marked as block a on the map overlook a fairly main four lane road and this can be quite busy and noisy. We were in block b.

Everything people have said about food is accurate. Everything under the sun – obviously trip advisor reports are being read and action taken by the hotel as on three nights a curry/stew was available. There was fresh soup, pate and salad then at least three meats or fish on the show plates, a pasta and pizza station plus a carvery roast then of course the usual hotplates loaded with food. Not once did I feel the need to have chips (although available) and a rarety for the hotels that i've visited in tenerife – canarian potatoes available three or four nights per week. There was something for my little man eveyr night and for once, he was polishing his plates off. Breakfasts were equally as nice. Omlettes and fresh eggs available at the show plates plus full english and continental, cereals, fruit selections etc etc. you never go hungry. A personal choice, but I found the juices from the machines too sweet and not appealing. Drinks in the restaurant in the evening had to be purchased – water was pricey at over a euro for a small bottle but beers and wines were well priced – the house wine was drinkable and only cost 5.50 euro's. A bonus was that the hotel would recork the bottle and keep it for you until the following night.

Around the pool there were plenty of sun beds and lots of space – a good system in place re locking up of sunbeds until a respectable time stopped the majority of towel laying at stupid o'clock and a large portion of the sunbed area had full sun all day. Some hotel guests did secure where they wanted to sit by placing and leaving bags and towels in place of their sunbeds or standing there in full sun until they sunbeds were unlocked – not necessary and stupid in my opinion. Umbrella's for the first part of the week were freely available but I did notice that as the hotel became busier towards the end of our week they were becoming difficult to get. Note for hotel – could you mark perhaps three umbrellas as for use by parents for their under 12's only please – having little or no shade for a little one is not good. A note for all parents – the red tiles around the large seating area and just away from the childrens pool become exceptionally slippy with even the tiniest amount of water and exceptionally hot under foot by mid-morning – I would hope that under the refurbishment the hotel will consider replacing this floor with something better. Although both adult and children pools aren't heated by mid morning in the full sun they become comfortable. There is also a good childrens climbing frame with slide and swings.

Daytime entertainment is discreet and not overbearing. Staff make a special effort to run regular timed activities for children albeit with parent supervision but a much needed change for the younger ones. We didn't experience the evening entertainment at all preferring to take an early evening stroll into PDLA or Los Christianos and returning for an early night.

PDLA is a 10 min walk down a steady incline and Los Christianos is about a 25 minute walk in a different direction.

Now...the question is...would I return to this hotel? Yes I would if the price was right. But would I return paying full price? Possibly not. But only because at that price level there are other properties available away from the road and nearer the front. Would I recommend this hotel to others? Definitely. It is not a 3 star and is more like a 4 star.

Room Tip: Marked on the hotel escape plan - rooms in block a overlook either the pool or a very busy road with...
5 Thank linksmanmischief
DomingoPerez, Director General at Catalonia Oro Negro, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear linksmanmischief,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience in our hotel with other guest in Tripadvisor.com. Our guests´ feedback helps us very much to improve our services and gives us support to continue working.
It is nice to read that you and your family enjoyed your holidays in our hotel and it exceeded your expectations
We take note of your comments and suggestions and we will work in them to get improvement.
We are working everyday to give our guest the best services

I hope to welcome you again in our hotel
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We returned last night from enjoying a week at this fabulous hotel. We booked last minute with Thomson's and for the price we paid were expecting a shabby tired hotel with poor food! It could not be more opposite, the hotel is being completely refurbished and the work was being done quietly and discreetly! It was in good shape and I will come to the food in a minute.

From the top.....
Flights from Manchester were good, transfers were efficient and when we arrived at the hotel we were dealt with promptly and courteously. We were given a family room on the 8th floor that was 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. We had a minor delay which meant we missed dinner so without us even having to ask we were given lunch the next day free of charge. Our stay was half board and the quality and choice of food was amazing. Every breakfast would fulfil everyone's taste and diet. An egg station cooking up fresh omelettes and fried eggs meant you could vary what you had day to day.

Evening meal was always a selection from a buffet and a carvery and the meat of the day .... steaks salmon chicken all cooked to your liking on the plancha.

I have a good appetite so would have 2 steaks and there was no problem at all.

To try and summarise the food it was of a very high quality, varied and you could have as much as you wanted.

The staff were awesome, very friendly very keen to help and there were a few people who I will never forget, the lady who shows you to your table was wonderful, and always had a smile. The bar staff in particular Bellen was lovely. The animation staff really went that extra mile to entertain kids and adults alike.

I am trying to summarise our stay and I cannot as I just ramble on again!!

It is great, food is not gourmet but wholesome and plentiful, we normally eat out the odd time but did not feel the need as the hotel food was really good.

I would advise you to give it a try!

Room Tip: I would email the hotel with your requirements and they will do there best to give you what you want...
1 Thank DaleK182
DomingoPerez, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Catalonia Oro Negro, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear DaleK182 ,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience in our hotel. Your nice comments give us support to continue working every day to to improve our services and get our guests´ satisfac-tion.
It is nice to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay, specially the quality of our food selection and the friendlyness of our staff.
Thank you very much again for your nice words
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

lovely hotel food great we had a room on seventh floor great sea view friendly staff room was lovely had a sea view rooms cleaned every day food lovely something for everyone always able to get a sun bed would recommend this hotel

Room Tip: we had room on 7th floor great view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank rachael m
DomingoPerez, Director General at Catalonia Oro Negro, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear rachael m,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience in our hotel with other guest in Tripadvi-sor.com. Our guests´ feedback gives us support to continue improving our services.
It is nice to read that you enjoyed your stay and you think this is a great hotel with great food and friendly staff.
Thank you very much for your nice words

Prescot, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

Stayed here May 1-10 2014. My third holiday at this great 3 star hotel 1n the past 14 months. Once again everything was brilliant from the moment we arrived. The hotel staff were friendly and cheerful in every department from reception to the dining room staff and chamber maids, I never encountered one sour face. The standard of food and the selection was as good if not better than some 4 star hotels I have stayed at.
The pool and sunbathing areas were clean and well maintained and loungers were available whenever we wanted one. The sunbathing area had full sun all day.
The room was a good size for a couple, clean and well serviced daily, if the room fell short in any way, just a minor point was there was very little drawer space but there was plenty of wardrobe and shelf space.
The hotel is situated up a hill but the gradient is not too demanding, close to a golf course and to plenty of bars but not so close to have problems with noise from them.
All in all good value for money. I will most definitely return here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays

5 Thank Anthony M
Dear Anthony M,
It is really nice to read that this was your third holiday at our hotel in the last 14 months and that you think this is a great 3 star hotel.
Thank you for your feedback because it helps us to continue improving our services and gives us support for our work