“ Great place but bad food”

Sunprime Coral Suites
“ Great place but bad food”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed at a pool view room on the 3rd floor. The room was very nice, clean, spacious. Had a little kitchen and a big balcony.
I found the staff very service minded and polite. The hotel has a small gym, which is good enough to get a workout in during the vacation.
I see other reviews complaining about the lack of entertainment. I on the other hand enjoyed the quiet evenings.
The stay was overall good and i would recommend the place.
- But the food was bad and the wifi very slow. Hope they will work on these things and the hotel will be great

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kattefar1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Me and my girlfriend came here on the 7th July for 7 days half board, the hotel itself is really nice and clean and well looked after. The rooms are spacious and cosy just what i expected for a 3*. I was a bit led astray as we booked the 'high floor sea view' room but we were only on the 3rd floor with a big hotel in front blocking our view, it was'nt a major problem as the view was lovely anyway. The maids seem do a great job cleaning the hotel and rooms, the only downside is they didnt put the sheets on the bed properly, they seemed to just 'cover' the matress and not be tucked in.. I didnt want to be picky and say, so we just did that ourselves. The showers and kitchen appliances are very modern and well maintained. The pool and seating areas were very nice and clean and we could pick up free wifi pretty much anywhere in the hotel which was great, so we didnt have to go to the lobby to skype back home. The food was pretty average and what you would expect in a 3*, never had a problem with the food being cold as some reviews say, some of it seemed a bit chewy and hard but thats about it. Wouldnt recommend all inclusive as there are some really nice and cheap restaurants close by which offer any type of food you want. Entertainment could be bonus as there is absolutley NOTHING going on, and I get that its a quiet adults only hotel but there's a big room off the reception that could be used to have some sort of entertainment for the people who are keen. The staff were really friendly and greeted us everytime we would walk past which is nice, especially the blonde lady but I did not catch her name. We had a great time until the last but one day, we had an abrupt phone call to our room that they wanted ME to GO DOWN to reception to talk about the tv, really they shouldve asked if it was ok for them to come to me, upon going downstairs the man was really rude, didnt say anything just picked up a mobile phone and started walking expecting me to follow, i felt like i was in high school and the teacher was going to tell me off, HE then started walking to our room, so it was pointless me going down there in the first place as he was going to come up anyway, he proceeded to tell me the tv was broke, so i assumed the ACTUAL tv wasnt working, we hadnt even used the tv because obviously its all in spanish, but there was a tiny crack on the casing, how they even noticed it and could then blame us I don't know, fair enough ask.. But he accused us and was so rude about it and said the manager wanted a word with us which left us worrying for the last day, kind of a let down really. Apart from that we had a lovely time.

Djay Coles
Cardiff

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank DjayColes
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel in July 2014 for 1week When we arrived we went down to eat in the restaurant,only to find this a pool bar. The food was the worst we have ever had it was cold and repetative. All inclusive was a laugh as there were so many restrictions that it wasn't worth the money.No entertainment and rooms air conditioned centrally which never came on during our stay.We would not return and this does not feel like a 4star Adult Only Hotel, but more suitable for self catering.

Room Tip: High Floor and a pool view essential
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Coral-Hotels, Guest Relations Manager at Sunprime Coral Suites, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear Graham,
Thank you for your review and for having staid with us, although apparently our adult only concept did not meet your approval, what we very much regret. Just allow us to point out that our hotel differs just from other 4 star properties, because we offer a relaxed, quiet atmosphere, which is what the big majority of our guests is expecting when booking our hotel. Therefore, we cannot offer the kind of entertainment and animation you would find in any other hotel. What we offer is occasionally relaxing live music and during day time several sport activities, such as water gym, free fitness classes and of course free use of our gym and beach volley ball court. Guests also can use our spa circuits for a very reasonable price. I am quite surprised at your comment about the air conditioning. This device is working perfectly and to our guests´ full satisfaction. I suppose that you must have had some problems with the use of it. Anyhow, in this case, and if advised duly by guests, the reception staff is always ready to explain how to use it or if there is something wrong, please be assured, that we have it immediately fixed, but obviously we must know about it. As for our restaurant offer, we regret that we did not meet either your approval, however let me also to point out that our breakfast offers a large choice of all sort of dishes and should really satisfy everybody´s expectation. Lunch and dinner services offer again a buffet with variety of cold and hot dishes, beside of freshly grilled fish, meat and freshly made pasta dishes. We also offer two theme evenings, such as BBQ and Spanish Tapas Night. We regret once more that we did not your expectation.
Manchester
Reviewed 3 August 2014

As I was up graded from Aparthotel Bonanza at no extra cost.
I had a lovely pool view room on the 4th floor.
As I was on room only, I only ate there once which was at the barbeque night, 25 Euros all food and drink included from 18:30 to 21:30, good traditional barbeque food.
A mixture of all ages and nationalities, not noisy, good sized room, cleaned daily.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Simca1301
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your kind review. We are glad that you enjoyed your holiday with us at the Sunprime Coral Suites. Indeed, we are an adult choice concept hotel and one of our main assets is to offer a tranquil and relaxed atmosphere, what is very much appreciated by the majority of our guests. We hope that having come to us accidentally, perhaps next time you choose our hotel directly. Would of course be a pleasure for us all.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Stayed here for ten days from first July. The hotel was lovely and clean our room had everything we needed the shower in the bathroom was great. The staff were lovely and friendly as for the food it was fine, I always managed to have something I liked, we were only half board so never had lunch. I was glad I did not go all inclusive as there is no entertainment at all therefore that is what I meant by my first comment about peace and quiet . Overall this hotel has a great location and is perfect for couples looking for a quiet time. However I have to end on a very negative note and that is to say that two cameras were taken from our room we had left them in our case. We did report this and Eric on reception took a note about the incident and would inform manager. We did not leave our door unlocked therefore we believe only maids would have access to our room. We did have to approach reception a few times to see if there was any follow up. We eventually spoke with the manager who said she would get a reading from our room key to see if it was faulty. The manager did not contact us after this and we just felt as if we were not believed. I do realise this was also our fault as we should have taken a security box but we had forgotten. Overall we had a great holiday and loved Tenerife we wont return to this hotel as we prefer a family hotel for the noise and atmosphere.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a pool view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank jacqueline k
Coral-Hotels, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sunprime Coral Suites, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
​Dear Jacqueline,
Thank you so much for your review and for having been our guests at the Sunprime Coral Suites. I am glad to read that you liked our facilities and service, although I understand that you prefer rather a place with more activities and less "peace". But, as you say the the location of the hotel is perfect: very near to most resort amenities. I am very much distressed about the issue with the cameras. Actually, you were not dealing with myself, but with my assistant manager, ​as I was away then. I have checked with her this matter and indeed she told me that she arranged the reading of the door luck and nobody entered into the room except yourself and of course the cleaning lady. The house keeper also checked whether the cameras had been handed in, but they were not. As after having spoken to my assistant, you did not contact her again, she thought that the cameras were found and she did not bother any more. Apparently, this was not the case. We are sorry for this misunderstanding and of course regret your loss. In this respect, I would like to point out that we don´t have robberies in the hotel and we can a 100 % rely on our staff. They have been working for us already a long time, either at the hotel or at the other properties of our company.
Said that we thank you once again for staying with us and hope that perhaps one day you prefer again peace and quietness again for a holiday and then will stay with us again.
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

There are good sides and not so good sides to this hotel. I've stayed at many different places over the years and Coral Suites is absolutely fine...that isn't to say that there aren't improvements to be made though.

Firstly, the location is brilliant. Turn right out of the hotel and it's a ten minute stroll down to a load of bars, restaurants, shops and other sorts of entertainment. This is very handy because there is absolutely nothing going on at the hotel in the evenings. This could be so easily fixed; there's a massive room off the reception and the bar - currently being used as a corridor - and if management were to invest in a piano and some seating, I suspect many AI and many B & B customers would stay here in the evenings. There's even the fittings where a bar used to be so I doubt it'd cost much. Instead, you have some groups hanging around the existing bar but with a rather limp atmosphere, it's not a place many people would want to be every evening.

I found the drinks on the AI package to be very good. The local beer - Reina - was nice, and the wines include red, white and cava. As well as the usual soft drinks (brand names including Pepsi, 7 Up and Schweppes) and local brand spirits, you can also select some cocktails, all of which I tried were lovely. There were bellinis, daiquiris, cosmopolitans and a menu displaying really clearly what was included on the AI list.

Many reviews on here have mentioned the food and this was something I was dreading before coming here. I am happy to eat almost anything if it is half decent so feel I can summarise the menu accurately. It was repetitive...but many AI hotels are. They had pasta and bolognese or carbonara sauce once a day, at least, without fail and about 40% of the food was fried...ranging from burgers to chicken nuggets to calamari to chips to fish fingers. The cold foods - salads, cheeses, cold meats - were again, samey but fresh and very eatable. I found the trick to not getting bored with the food is to not have a tapas style meal every night. Along with the fried stuff, there is always a fish dish, a meat dish, a couple of carb dishes and some sort of veg dish so just have one or two of the options available...not a little bit of everything! I also had lunch out and dinner out once each in my week stay and this really helps break up the monotonous food cycle. At dinner there is also a choice of meats you can request and a chef cooks it for you there and then. That's also adds a little to the variety.

Most of the staff were welcoming and positive people. Another recent review mentioned an older gentleman, who worked at the pool bar/restaurant, and I knew exactly who they were talking about when I saw him work. He never seemed to take a break or have a day off yet was tirelessly cheerful and welcoming. Another young guy who worked at the bar inside deserves a mention as he too was always in a good mood. I saw him deal very well with a group of drunk guys who were getting cross at not being served quick enough, even though it was uncharacteristically busy that night and he was on his own. I personally saw no differentiation of treatment between AI and non-AI guests and I didn't tip any staff until the end of the holiday.

The rooms in the hotel were simple, quite spacious and clean. The maids work hard and everything was immaculate after they had visited the room. I would recommend seeing if you could pay for a pool view room - I didn't and although noise and such didn't bother me at all, it is something I would pay for if I were to come again. It's a much nicer view and watching the last few stragglers play in the pool at the end of the day is something I really like to do on holiday.

The pool was spotlessly clean and really peaceful. Being an adults only hotel definitely has its advantages when it comes to the pool. A Swedish lady does aqua aerobics every other day and there are some fitness classes on offer as well, but another pool side activity such as water polo really wouldn't go amiss. I've never seen so many men give aqua aerobics a go in all my holidays on this earth, just for something to do!

Overall, I have no qualms about this hotel but it could really be amazing if the food and the entertainment were to be jazzed up. Many people I talked to said they wished there was a bit of life around the place some nights. I probably wouldn't stay here again, purely because without the changes mentioned above, I know I could find a better deal for my money. That's not to say I had a bad experience here at all though - it's been a lovely holiday overall. I've given it 4/5 but if there was a 3.5 I'd be more inclined to give my overall experience that. It's better than average but not "very good".

Stayed July 2014
6 Thank Andrealovesholidays
Coral-Hotels, Guest Relations Manager at Sunprime Coral Suites, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear guest,
We would like to give you a big thank you for your detailed and interesting review, which certainly will of great help for a lot of other travellers. We have read also your comments with interest and take of course into consideration your suggestions and give them a deeper thought. Indeed, we are only adult choice concept hotel, where we do not offer a full packed entertainment programme. Actually this is also what a very large majority of our guests expect. As soon as you organize more entertainment around the pool, the tranquillity most guests are seeking, cannot be granted any more. However, we offer aqua gym, but also fitness classes for free and the workout machines of the gym are available for free to our guests. The spa circuit can be done at a very reasonable price. If a costumer wishes to have more evening entertainment, there are plenty of them available at a short walking distance from the hotel. Anyhow, we would like to thank you again for staying with us and hope that despite of all you decide to stay with us again, as you say in a pool view room. It would be a great pleasure for all of us.
Paignton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Having previous stayed at another hotel in Las Americas for the previous two years we decided that we would try a different hotel this year, however it was a MASSIVE MISTAKE.
I read the reviews published by other customers prior to booking this hotel and they were all singing the praises of this hotel so was confident that i was making the right decision.

I booked a junior suite with a sea view, an absolute waste of money, the room i had barely had a sea view at all, in order to see it you would need to perch right on the balcony, the immediate view that i got was straight into a local's apartment and a building site. my advice would be to ask for a room with a pool view. I complained to reception about my room, and was told that the hotel was fully booked, however they would look to move us to another room at the start of the week, and they would keep us informed that was the last that i heard from reception with regards to this matter.

The rooms however are of a good standard and were turned down by the maid everyday, they had an iron and an ironing board, they only have a shower, however it was a really good shower.

The food was terrrible and the worst part of this entire holiday, it was always cold, and was very bland, it was very limited and the selection and choice was non existant. DO NOT stay at this hotel if you are a vegetarian as you will probably starve. If a main meal was all used it wasn't replaced with the same thing, which was often disappointing, it was replaced by something else, again this was cold even when first placed out. It wasn't a restuarant it was more of a beach side cafe. The food was nearly always the same night after night. Apart from tuesday and sunday when they did a theme night, the bbq night is the only chance you will get to get some decent meat to eat. Breakfast however was the best meal that they served, apart from a few mornings they ran out of fresh bread and it wasn't replaced.

The All inclusive drinks menu was awful, it was too limited and very very very basic compared to other hotels that i have stayed in. If you were AI you were treated differently at the bar and non AI customers were always served first. Non AI customers were allowed pints of local beer, AI customers were not! (This was sorted once serveral people complained about the matter). Eric is the best bar man that they employ very polite and nothing was too much trouble. There was an older gentleman that worked at the pool bar who was very friendly and was very customer focused his name esacpes me.

The pool area was always clean and tidy, one thing i did like about this hotel was that you didn't have to get up at the crack of dawn to get a sunbed, there were normally sunbeds left around breakfast time, this could be due to them having two sunbed desks on the roof of the hotel which were suntraps, there were no facilites to get a drink if you used this area though, you would have to go down 7 floors to get a drink, luckily they had a lift. The hotel supply you with a towel to use at the pool, however they charge you 2 euro 50 cent to change it!!!!!

The hotel does have a small gym, however the CV equipment in here is all old and outdated and half of it didn't work, one of the gym bikes seat was broken and one cross trainer was borken, there was never anyone around to repport the matter to.

The bar staff were always miserable and never smiled once, customer service was not there strongest point, and it often took a long time to get served. It appreared that they had a shortage of staff. One member of staff told me that she was unhappy because they'd recently had their shifts changed and they didn't like the new ones.

There is ZERO entertainment in this hotel in the evening, apart from the stereo being on. my opinion of AI was to encourage people to stay in the hotel, with the coral beach this was very much not the case, and because of this i spent a great deal of money outside the hotel, as you would be lucky to find one or two other couples in the bar on a nightime.

My advice is DO NOT stay at this hotel All Inclusive as it is a complete waste of money and you will regret it.

I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: room with a pool view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank flik192002
Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for your review. As we can appreciate, there seemed to be several issues, which were not to your liking, what we very much regret. First of all, allow us to point out that we are an adult choice concept hotel, where guests do not expect a full packed entertainment. We believe that we should maintain this concept, as this is exactly what differs us from other properties and which is the reason why a lot of our guests are repeaters or choose us for their holiday. As for our selection of all inclusive food and drinks, we regret that this did not meet your approval. Certainly, do not forget our buffet is not a vegetarian buffet, but I know that there are always several nice and tasty dishes for guests, who do not eat meat nor fish. Just to mention shortly that there is a phone on the sun decks connected with the bar, where drinks can be ordered. As for the restaurant´s decoration, please note this is adapted to the trendy minimalist style of the hotel, actually very much appreciated by the majority of our costumers. Indeed, upon arrival a pool towel is given for free, the same as bathrobe and slippers. If guests wants to get another, we charge a small surcharge of 2,5 Euros, bearing in mind that our hotel is very much environment friendly (we have achieved the Tavelife Gold Award). Once more we regret that not all of the aspects of your holiday met your expectation.
Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa de las Americas
Cleopatra Palace Hotel
Sol Tenerife
Sol Tenerife
#32 of 58 in Playa de las Americas
IBEROSTAR Grand Hotel El Mirador

Been to Sunprime Coral Suites? Share your experiences!