“Security Guard ruined it for the rest of the staff.”

Apartamentos Oro Blanco
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Paying around 350 for a hotel for a week in Tenerife, I wasn't expecting much, so it was to my pleasant surprise when I walked into the Oro Blanco reception, to find it completely immaculate and sparkling clean. The man behind the desk practically leaped out of his chair and couldn't help me enough with my check in, offering all of the services they provided for the rooms as well as recommending some external services he himself enjoyed. Thrilled I headed up to my apartment on the 1st floor. I was surprised at how spacious the apartment was and pleased with my friends choice of stay. The maid service was admirable as everything was pristine clean after they had done a thorough job every day. With top service, these maids deserve a raise.
I should mention that I was 1/5th of a group of girls (came a day later than the rest due to work commitments, therefore ended up with my own apartment). My girl friends had two apartments on the 6th floor. This is were the negative part of my review comes to the fore.
On the Monday, we had a few drinks in one of the girls apartments before heading down to the strip. We were having a smoke on the balcony (bad habit yes, but we had asked at reception and they had said that this was allowed) and, yes we were engaging in conversation, but no louder than a group of 5 girls getting ready to go out should warrant. We knew this was also a family hotel so we tried to keep the chatter as low as possible, or at least, inside the apartment. So it was to our utter surprise when at 23:30 we heard a shushing sound coming from the stair well (which was right next to the girls apartment, and could be seen from the balcony) immediately we hushed our voices, out of respect for our fellow neighbours, yet this was not enough as a moment later a security guard appears and reprimands us of our "loud and lewd behaviour" telling us we are not allowed to be smoking on the balcony (again we were told we were allowed to do so). Taking this as our queue to leave, we did just so.
The next day my friends received a "noise complaint" letter from the security stating that if there was any more "raucous behaviour" from my friends apartment, they would not get their deposit back and may even be asked to leave the hotel. What an absolute shock to my friends and I.
This was absolutely disgusting as, yes families were staying there, but did I mention the teenagers? The numerous teenagers who were running riot through out the halls between 03:00 - 07:00 most nights, including that night my friends received their letter. Ringing door bells, knocking on doors, running, and in a few cases, sliding down corridors, drunkenly calling to each other, and disturbing the entire complex? 3 times I heard the father of the family in the room next to mine open the door to these teens and, using very colourful words, kindly told them to shut up.
Not once did I hear a security guard try and stop any of this debauchery. My friends even got talking to one of the girls, whose holiday party, she admitted were causing some of the hassle, and it was in this conversation that my friends found out that this girl and her friends hadn't received one noise complaint or even come across a security guard!
This behaviour from the Security cannot be tolerated. It can't be one rule for one and another for the rest.
The rest of the staff were so helpful (the pool barmaid could have had a better attitude, but you could forgive her for being tired) that this was a serious let down from one part of their team.
I made a formal complaint at reception before checking out and hope it has been taken seriously.
Baring in mind, I'm 23 and like to party myself, I have more respect for others than to cause havoc in the halls of a foreign hotel where I know families are staying. If it were Mallorca Rocks (where I have stayed) this could be forgiven, but not in this instance.
I hope they rectify the situation as it was a wonderful place to stay, and in such a prime location it was shorter than a 10 minute walk to the beach and strip!

Room Tip: Ask to be put on a floor where there are no "younger parties" if you are looking for a dec...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank hwaterhouse
Write a ReviewReviews (1,202)

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Went there last year for a week this time for a fortnight, even better this year than last ,had a three bedroom apartment for the price of a two,had a couple of things not right on the first day complained to the front desk sorted by the afternoon of the second day .excellent maid service.very clean pool and surrounding areas.food good from the pool bar .good accommodation,reception staff very helpful and friendly.will go again

Room Tip: Higher floors good views
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Rigger05
Reviewed 13 July 2014

As a group of 12, 18 year old girls we weren't expecting luxury and having paid little for Oro Blanco and our flights to Tenerife we had probably prepared ourselves for the worst.

When checking in, we were informed of a 30 euro deposit to be left by EACH MEMBER of the party. The deposit means that they can take money off you, if, at the end of your stay, you ruin the room or something like that. We had read other tripadvisor reviews saying that they were strict about the deposit and tried to find faults in the rooms. However, we didn't find this at all. Yes we left the rooms tidily but there were a few stains on sheets and a lot of noise was made (we are a group of 12 girls!). Also make sure you take some kind of paperwork acknowledging that you are staying at Oro Blanco. They also take a photocopy of your passport.

On entering the rooms we were satisfied- we were split into 3 x 1 bedroom apartments which meant two people got their own bedroom with single beds, and the other two were on a sofa bed and another bed which pulled out from underneath this- there was no problems with this and I personally had a great nights sleep every day of the holiday. Two of the rooms looked onto a golf course and main roads and the other was onto the pool which was not a problem at all. The kitchen equipment, whilst very basic, didn't cause any problems. It would be difficult to cook a massive meal on it but this wasn't an issue for us; the most cooking we did was supernoodles and stuff in the microwave. There are enough cheap places to eat however in walking distance so I wouldn't worry too much.

The bathroom is basic and is a bit grimy- can see why its only 3 star, but like I said, we were expecting filth and it wasn't like that at all. I'm a sucker for clean bathrooms and dealt with it all week perfectly. The only issue I would raise is that you only get 50L of hot water a day and the shower pressure isn't great at all. However, we were 4 girls and managed to get a small amount of hot water out every day: it was never a massive issue. A few of us opted for cold showers after being extremely sunburnt though- I warn you; the clouds are deceptive. As a fair redhead, on the last day, despite covering myself in factor 50, spent 2 hours lying in the sun and am now sitting at home nursing blisters on my stomach.

The cleaning staff weren't brilliant; i'll admit. This was probably the main issue we had throughout the holiday. In the welcome booklet it does say that towels are changed every other day and if they are needed to be washed, put them in the bath. We did this every day only to find that the cleaners removed them from the damp bath and hung them up neatly around the apartment: we are not fooled. When this got too much, we did ask for clean towels and were given them promptly, however, we all agreed that this shouldn't have to be the case! Towels are a necessity!! The rest of the cleaning was minimal- folding sheets isn't a cleaning service in my opinion, but you know, we dealt with it and it was never filthy.

The hotel itself is lovely- the pool is probably the highlight! On the Saturday we were entertained by a one woman fashion show (don't ask, you need to see it for yourself). It's a really nice pool, even if it's a bit chilly. Sunbeds aren't that hard to find either and there is plenty of shade to take advantage of throughout the day. We found that the temperature was the hottest at 4-6 o clock which was actually really nice. The wifi is best in reception and inside the bar and there's probably not much need to pay for it in your rooms. This leads me onto the pool bar- the breakfasts were great and the toasties not so great. If you're a vegetarian I don't recommend ordering from the pool bar- everything is cooked on the same hot plate. Was a bit confused as to why the lifeguard was serving at the pool bad- they definitely need more staff!

The location is amazing- the road behind has a bus stop where you can catch a free coach to the water park- but talk to reception about this- they give you tickets which mean you don't have to queue up on the day. The 'alley' which had been nicknamed many things wasn't half as bad as everyone made out- it was lit, and the most harmful thing there was a stray cat. There were prostitutes but only like 2, they didn't bother you at all either. Playa de las Americas itself is actually loads of fun and caters for everyone. The strip is great- I recommend Yordy's bar where there were deals like 1 pint of cocktail, 3 shots and 1 bottle of champagne between the group for 5 euros each. Sugar Reef and Sound of Cream were better for those who take themselves and their music taste a little too serious. The beach is lovely too, can't recommend it enough- sunbeds were 5 euros for the whole day which was perfect. We took our own food which was the best idea we had. Siam Park is incredible- long queues but the rides are totally worth it, not what we expected at all.

OVERALL, ORO BLANCO IS A HOTEL WHICH IS PERFECT FOR BIG GROUPS OF PEOPLE WHO WISH TO HAVE A GREAT TIME ON HOLIDAY WHILST RELAXING- IT'S BASIC BUT THE PRICE IMPLIES THAT. WAY BETTER THAN WE ALL EXPECTED. PLAYA DE LAS AMERICAS IS A LOCATION FOR GROUPS OF FRIENDS WHO WANT TO HAVE A GREAT TIME BUT ALSO RELAX- IT'S NOT AS INTENSE AND GRIMY AS MAGALUF ETC.

Recommended restaurants/bars:
-El Americano (cocktails and pizzas are great)
-Papagayo Beach Club (splurge on the last day for lunch- INCREDIBLE)
-Yordy's bar (hilarious night out, good drink deals which get you drunk for the rest of the night)
-Gaffers (down the road from Oro Blanco, British owner, signature drink is the Jucee which is half a pint of vodka with squash- you cannot taste the vodka- gets you drunk fast- such a good idea).

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank harritheginge
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Oro blanco is a good hotel for a cheap holiday excellent location for bars and restaurants, we weren't told until checking in the we had to leave 30€ deposit per person which wasn't a nice surprise, also the wifi we paid for didn't work at all and later found out it's free in reception! Make sure you get a room with a balcony as the studios without are small and hot, housekeeping staff are very good. Would stay there again but in a bigger room but you get what you pay for and we went for the cheaper option so lesson learnt :)

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Caznmike
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Im not long back from a weeks holiday here with my 2 friends, reception checked the 3 of us in quickly and we were on level 6 with was easy enough to reach due to the lift and the view from the balcony made it worth while! One of the best hotel balcony views ive ever had as you could see the pool, the strip, other hotels and buildings and the beach and sea, sunset over the sea was an incredible view from the balcony. Rooms were basic enouch for what we needed and clean enough upon arrival although not once were our towels or bedding changed through the week which was dissapointing! Lucky we brough spare towels with us! Floors become dusty and dirsy very easily and they werent cleaned during our week too so i suggest you wear sandals in the room as white socks get ruined in walking from the bathroom to the bedroom!! Pool isnt the biggest but we were happy with it, and there is plenty of sun loungers! Bar staff are lovely and work very hard at what they do! Brilliant location, 10 mins walk to the strip in one direction and in the other its 10 mins walk to the beach front with lots of shops bars, and resturants! Lots too keep everyone busy!! Weather was pretty decent!! Only two negative things i can point out is theres a security man on at night who can be very rude, we walked in and i sneezed and he told me i had to be more quiet lol. Another night we were bringing towels in from our balcony around midnight before we left for the strip and he was at the stairs which you could see from our balcony and he wasnt happy as we were talking to eachother whilst pulling them in. He has to chill out and not be so overly strict over nothing! Other bad thing is keep an eye on the taxi drivers, they are chancers! Act like they know what your saying, take you to somewhere you didnt ask to go then act like they clicked on and go aww and when you finally reach the destination try to charge you the amont for everywhere they have taken you! This happened to us a number of times and even when i got one at 4am to go to the hospital from my hotel due to my ankle being really hurt and we showed him and told him repeatidly hospital he drove up to a green hotel, like i said, chancers!! All round good holiday though!!! Ps - dont waste your money on bar crawl!!!!!! Rip off and dont let them pressure you into it!! Waste of 40 euros, a night to get pissed doesnt even cost you that!!! Try stay clear of Mett bar, my friend bumped into a girl she knew working there and they have sources of acid in the vodka and at the end of the night they pick straws up off the floor and reuse them every night!!! Disgusting!!!! Stay clear she warned us!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I came to Oro Blanco with 16 other girl friends and had the time of my life. The Playa de Las Americas is a bit quieter than the typical clubbing holiday locations as the strip is quite small, so it was perfect for us as we didn't want to go too mad. This hotel is situated about a 15 minute walk from the strip so although you can hear the thudding of the music and you can see the lights from some apartment balconies until 4am when they close, it isn't so loud that it disrupts your sleep. However, this certainly isn't a hotel or location for families.

Oro Blanco is very strict about noise after midnight and the security guards give noise warnings if rooms are being too loud, several of which can lead to eviction, and while the clientèle is mainly 18-30s, it isn't raucous at all and the pool area is very calm even during the day.

For what we paid for our holiday, I was amazed at the quality of the service we received at the hotel. I'm almost certain all the rooms are self-catered, and these rooms come equipped with a hob, microwave, toaster, kettle and various pieces of cutlery, fridge, chopping board, glasses, mugs, crockery, a colander etc. The only complaint is that the bath towels smelt quite damp and musty and the teatowels smelt utterly putrid - even after they had been replaced for clean ones - so if you stay here definitely bring your own teatowels, sponge/scrubbing brush and an additional bath towel as well as your beach towel.

Other than this, the rooms are incredibly clean and have virtually everything you need - except air conditioning. You can hire a fan from reception but we didn't bother because we wanted to keep costs down, but the rooms do get very stuffy at night. You also need to hire the safe in the room.

The pool area is very clean, with a large pool and a pool bar. The food from the bar was apparently great, but the service is slow and we found the pool bar staff to be quite sullen and almost seemed to be annoyed that people wanted to buy things. Also, if you're a vegetarian, they toast all the sandwiches on the same griddle as the burgers etc. so even if you just order a cheese toastie it will be saturated in meat juices, so I personally didn't buy any food from the pool bar. The reception staff were very helpful though, especially if you are polite to them - they won't take any crap from you if you're rude or raucous.

The nearest beach is by the strip so again about a 15 minute walk downhill, but if you turn left rather than right at the seafront and walk for about 20-25 minutes or take a 2 minute taxi for about five euros there is a much nicer beach in a much classier area with warmer water and lots of gorgeous fish if you like snorkelling. At this other beach there's a really lovely little beach-hut snack bar on the seafront and after we discovered this area we went here every day rather than to the closer beach (though it's a lot more gravelly in the sea).

If you're intending to go to the strip, make sure you haggle with the reps who will try and get you to go into their club by asking you all to pay a certain amount and offering you various "deals" on drinks. For example, the best deal we got was six euros each, which bought us three shots each, two long drinks each and three litres of sex on the beach cocktail to share (though we were in a group of 17 so it would be cheaper for our larger group). Alcohol is CHEAP here, and you get PLENTY for your money. One Tenerife strip shot is probably about four English shots, and for half the price - so watch what you drink and how fast.

There really is something for everyone here - you can stay out until 6am drinking and spend most of the day in bed recovering, or you can find a nice cocktail bar and get up early and spend the day at the beach. (There are also loads of excursions like to the waterpark, volcano etc. but they're pretty expensive.)

PLEASE NOTE: YOU MUST PAY A THIRTY EURO DEPOSIT PER ROOM AS SOON AS YOU ARRIVE (you get this back at the end of the week if nothing is broken).

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a balcony because the rooms without are quite cramped. Some of the roo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank Ruby M
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I spent a week in the oro blanco self catering apartments in August of last year. The hotel was ideal for groups of young friends looking for close access to Veronica's strip and the local clubs and pubs. Overall I found the apartments ideal for those who spent little time in their rooms as there was no air conditioning in our top story apartment and we could only rent 1 fan despite the fact there were 4 of us split between two rooms which is not ideal. The sofa bed we had in the lounge area had a pull out bed underneath the sofa and was the most uncomfortable sleep as the slats of the bed frame were broken and the mattress was half on the frame and half on the floor. All in all I had a pleasant stay at the oro blanco however we were extremely ripped off as the amount we paid for the holiday did not equate to the quality of the accommodation. The pool area was nice and clean however you had to pay a few euros each day to rent the blue sun lounger toppers which as clients of the hotel I though should be free. It is a great hotel for those on a budget and is in a fair location. Basically, don't pay over the odds and you will have a great stay but when you can go somewhere much nicer for roughly the same price I wouldn't hesitate to choose the other.

• Stayed: January 2014