“For what you pay, it's good value!”

Apartamentos Oro Blanco
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

I have no genuine complaints about the hotel. Considering I paid less than £250 for a weeks stay I was pleasantly surprised! Although the housekeepers didn't clean the floor at all during our stay, everything else was fine! If you're lucky enough to get a roadside view, you'll have the pleasure of watching Tenerife's night workers patrolling the streets looking for fresh meat (you may even see them in the act).

Stayed: July 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (1,161)

Reviewed 17 July 2014

After reading lots of reviews after booking, me and my 6 other friends - all girls, 6 18 year old's, 1 17 year old, were quite apprehensive.

Upon arrival (15 minutes from Tenerife South airport) on the 4th July 2014 for 1 week with Thomas Cook we had a lovely man at reception greet us, with great English, and we paid our €30 deposit each that we got back at the end of the holiday providing there was no damages.

I shared a spacious studio room with 2 of my other friends, we moved the beds around a bit so we were closer to one another. Our 4 other friends shared a 1 bedroom apartment, the bedroom was spacious, and the balcony was much bigger than ours, but when the double sofa bed was pulled out in the living area, the whole space was very cramped. We didn't mind though, as we were only in our rooms to get ready and then come back in the early hours of the morning and get some sleep.

Our only problem with the room was the fact we had a bit of an ant infestation, we didn't leave any food lying about, but the spilling of drinks on the balcony probably had something to do with this! We just solved the problem by putting some salt or hairspray down to deter them.

We paid approx €22.90 for a safety deposit box, as you hear all these stories about thieving maids, and we also put our holiday money in there so we could budget every night. We got €10 of this back at the end. We didn't purchase (I think it was €30) for a fan, as we wanted to see if we needed it, turns out we didn't, just keep the curtains shut during the day so that sunlight doesn't get in, and you'll be fine.

The staff were very friendly overall, we smiled and said hello and goodbye every time we left and they were therefore friendly to us. There was no complaints when we left the room keys in our room and had to get the master key (twice!)

However a member of staff that let everyone down was the security guard. As we were having pre-drinks on our balcony, at 11.30pm the security guard would rush round telling us to keep the noise down - we did as we were told. However in the following days where we were simply talking on our balcony, he came running up to our rooms and said that we should be quiet. Our talking was surely not keeping everyone up...? But yet at 5am when we came home being quiet, everyone else in the hotel was making such loud noises, banging doors, ringing bells, yet the security guard was no where to be seen? I saw approximately 2 families in my whole time there most likely due to schools not have broke up for summer yet, so I don't understand who we could have woken up, when everyone in the hotel was off out to the strip. I'd understand in a month like August where lots of families would be, but even then, separate the families and the young people on different sides of the hotel to break down the noise even more.

The location to the strip is perfect, come out of the hotel, take a left and go past this lovely She-ll (I think that's what it's called) restaurant (the owner is SUCH a cute man!), past the shop and take a left down an alley, not as scary as it seems, however go with a group and it's much safer, just follow the steps down (you'll hear the strip before you see it) and you're there in 5 minutes. Takes about 30 minutes when you've had a drink though!

The strip in Las Americas was great, lots of good restaurants surrounding it, and you can get a meal and a drink for under €10! You WILL get hassled by a lot of PR staff, if you're not interested they will eventually understand, especially if you say you're going to the bar next door to the one they're promoting. But whenever you get a drink, find a PR staff member, they'll get you the best deals, as you will get ripped off if you go directly to the bar. From what I remember for 7 of us, we got 2 drinks, 3 shots and 2 litres of cocktail between us for €6 each. We could only hack about 2 of these deals when we were out, so we never really spent more than €15 each when we were out, so had LOADS of spending money left over! We were nervous there would be no one our age here compared to the likes of Malia, Maga or Napa, but we were surprised when the strip and Tenerife was bursting full of the 18-30 crowd! So pleased we chose this destination instead of the others!

During the day the Siam Park is a MUST, no queues on a Sunday, however I think the fast pass is very cheap and worth your while. Food is cheap there too, but you can always bring your own stuff in. Also by the Oro Blanco - literally next door - is a place to book water sports, boat parties etc, we went for the combo deal of 3 water sports for €50, that including paragliding, the flying fish, and 20 minutes on a jet ski. SO SO worth it, the people running it are so lovely and helpful, and speak great English so can answer any queries or concerns you may have.

Overall we had such a fantastic 7 days and nights here, it's a shame to be back in England. But don't hesitate booking this hotel, yes it's 2 star, but for €300 for the week and the strip on your door step, you cant complain!

Room Tip: We didn't get a pool room even though we booked months in advanced. Try getting one if you can...
4  Thank Mollie C
Reviewed 16 July 2014

With the oro blanco you get what you pay for, there were 7 of us staying here me and my boyfriend in one room, and our friends in another, the rooms are alright.. not the best, our room did not have an ashtray on the balcony, we requested one, but one never came so we used a bowl filled with water, to which the maid just poored the contents out, but did not clean. The maids were terrible. They did not change the sheets or towels our entire stay, they merly placed them back where they belong.. made the beds yet you could still see all the crinkles etc. Whatever they wash/starch the sheets in really irritated my skin.. it made all my back very sore!
the pools nice, we all had alot of fun in there, the pool bar, cheap and cheerful. Again, you get what you pay for really.
wifi is free in reception, so dont bother paying for it in your rooms!
honestly, the rooms were alright apart from blood on the curtains and the shower was not the best.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Leighlalu19
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Paying around 350 for a hotel for a week in Tenerife, I wasn't expecting much, so it was to my pleasant surprise when I walked into the Oro Blanco reception, to find it completely immaculate and sparkling clean. The man behind the desk practically leaped out of his chair and couldn't help me enough with my check in, offering all of the services they provided for the rooms as well as recommending some external services he himself enjoyed. Thrilled I headed up to my apartment on the 1st floor. I was surprised at how spacious the apartment was and pleased with my friends choice of stay. The maid service was admirable as everything was pristine clean after they had done a thorough job every day. With top service, these maids deserve a raise.
I should mention that I was 1/5th of a group of girls (came a day later than the rest due to work commitments, therefore ended up with my own apartment). My girl friends had two apartments on the 6th floor. This is were the negative part of my review comes to the fore.
On the Monday, we had a few drinks in one of the girls apartments before heading down to the strip. We were having a smoke on the balcony (bad habit yes, but we had asked at reception and they had said that this was allowed) and, yes we were engaging in conversation, but no louder than a group of 5 girls getting ready to go out should warrant. We knew this was also a family hotel so we tried to keep the chatter as low as possible, or at least, inside the apartment. So it was to our utter surprise when at 23:30 we heard a shushing sound coming from the stair well (which was right next to the girls apartment, and could be seen from the balcony) immediately we hushed our voices, out of respect for our fellow neighbours, yet this was not enough as a moment later a security guard appears and reprimands us of our "loud and lewd behaviour" telling us we are not allowed to be smoking on the balcony (again we were told we were allowed to do so). Taking this as our queue to leave, we did just so.
The next day my friends received a "noise complaint" letter from the security stating that if there was any more "raucous behaviour" from my friends apartment, they would not get their deposit back and may even be asked to leave the hotel. What an absolute shock to my friends and I.
This was absolutely disgusting as, yes families were staying there, but did I mention the teenagers? The numerous teenagers who were running riot through out the halls between 03:00 - 07:00 most nights, including that night my friends received their letter. Ringing door bells, knocking on doors, running, and in a few cases, sliding down corridors, drunkenly calling to each other, and disturbing the entire complex? 3 times I heard the father of the family in the room next to mine open the door to these teens and, using very colourful words, kindly told them to shut up.
Not once did I hear a security guard try and stop any of this debauchery. My friends even got talking to one of the girls, whose holiday party, she admitted were causing some of the hassle, and it was in this conversation that my friends found out that this girl and her friends hadn't received one noise complaint or even come across a security guard!
This behaviour from the Security cannot be tolerated. It can't be one rule for one and another for the rest.
The rest of the staff were so helpful (the pool barmaid could have had a better attitude, but you could forgive her for being tired) that this was a serious let down from one part of their team.
I made a formal complaint at reception before checking out and hope it has been taken seriously.
Baring in mind, I'm 23 and like to party myself, I have more respect for others than to cause havoc in the halls of a foreign hotel where I know families are staying. If it were Mallorca Rocks (where I have stayed) this could be forgiven, but not in this instance.
I hope they rectify the situation as it was a wonderful place to stay, and in such a prime location it was shorter than a 10 minute walk to the beach and strip!

Room Tip: Ask to be put on a floor where there are no "younger parties" if you are looking for a dec...
3  Thank hwaterhouse
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Went there last year for a week this time for a fortnight, even better this year than last ,had a three bedroom apartment for the price of a two,had a couple of things not right on the first day complained to the front desk sorted by the afternoon of the second day .excellent maid service.very clean pool and surrounding areas.food good from the pool bar .good accommodation,reception staff very helpful and friendly.will go again

Room Tip: Higher floors good views
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Rigger05
Reviewed 13 July 2014

As a group of 12, 18 year old girls we weren't expecting luxury and having paid little for Oro Blanco and our flights to Tenerife we had probably prepared ourselves for the worst.

When checking in, we were informed of a 30 euro deposit to be left by EACH MEMBER of the party. The deposit means that they can take money off you, if, at the end of your stay, you ruin the room or something like that. We had read other tripadvisor reviews saying that they were strict about the deposit and tried to find faults in the rooms. However, we didn't find this at all. Yes we left the rooms tidily but there were a few stains on sheets and a lot of noise was made (we are a group of 12 girls!). Also make sure you take some kind of paperwork acknowledging that you are staying at Oro Blanco. They also take a photocopy of your passport.

On entering the rooms we were satisfied- we were split into 3 x 1 bedroom apartments which meant two people got their own bedroom with single beds, and the other two were on a sofa bed and another bed which pulled out from underneath this- there was no problems with this and I personally had a great nights sleep every day of the holiday. Two of the rooms looked onto a golf course and main roads and the other was onto the pool which was not a problem at all. The kitchen equipment, whilst very basic, didn't cause any problems. It would be difficult to cook a massive meal on it but this wasn't an issue for us; the most cooking we did was supernoodles and stuff in the microwave. There are enough cheap places to eat however in walking distance so I wouldn't worry too much.

The bathroom is basic and is a bit grimy- can see why its only 3 star, but like I said, we were expecting filth and it wasn't like that at all. I'm a sucker for clean bathrooms and dealt with it all week perfectly. The only issue I would raise is that you only get 50L of hot water a day and the shower pressure isn't great at all. However, we were 4 girls and managed to get a small amount of hot water out every day: it was never a massive issue. A few of us opted for cold showers after being extremely sunburnt though- I warn you; the clouds are deceptive. As a fair redhead, on the last day, despite covering myself in factor 50, spent 2 hours lying in the sun and am now sitting at home nursing blisters on my stomach.

The cleaning staff weren't brilliant; i'll admit. This was probably the main issue we had throughout the holiday. In the welcome booklet it does say that towels are changed every other day and if they are needed to be washed, put them in the bath. We did this every day only to find that the cleaners removed them from the damp bath and hung them up neatly around the apartment: we are not fooled. When this got too much, we did ask for clean towels and were given them promptly, however, we all agreed that this shouldn't have to be the case! Towels are a necessity!! The rest of the cleaning was minimal- folding sheets isn't a cleaning service in my opinion, but you know, we dealt with it and it was never filthy.

The hotel itself is lovely- the pool is probably the highlight! On the Saturday we were entertained by a one woman fashion show (don't ask, you need to see it for yourself). It's a really nice pool, even if it's a bit chilly. Sunbeds aren't that hard to find either and there is plenty of shade to take advantage of throughout the day. We found that the temperature was the hottest at 4-6 o clock which was actually really nice. The wifi is best in reception and inside the bar and there's probably not much need to pay for it in your rooms. This leads me onto the pool bar- the breakfasts were great and the toasties not so great. If you're a vegetarian I don't recommend ordering from the pool bar- everything is cooked on the same hot plate. Was a bit confused as to why the lifeguard was serving at the pool bad- they definitely need more staff!

The location is amazing- the road behind has a bus stop where you can catch a free coach to the water park- but talk to reception about this- they give you tickets which mean you don't have to queue up on the day. The 'alley' which had been nicknamed many things wasn't half as bad as everyone made out- it was lit, and the most harmful thing there was a stray cat. There were prostitutes but only like 2, they didn't bother you at all either. Playa de las Americas itself is actually loads of fun and caters for everyone. The strip is great- I recommend Yordy's bar where there were deals like 1 pint of cocktail, 3 shots and 1 bottle of champagne between the group for 5 euros each. Sugar Reef and Sound of Cream were better for those who take themselves and their music taste a little too serious. The beach is lovely too, can't recommend it enough- sunbeds were 5 euros for the whole day which was perfect. We took our own food which was the best idea we had. Siam Park is incredible- long queues but the rides are totally worth it, not what we expected at all.

OVERALL, ORO BLANCO IS A HOTEL WHICH IS PERFECT FOR BIG GROUPS OF PEOPLE WHO WISH TO HAVE A GREAT TIME ON HOLIDAY WHILST RELAXING- IT'S BASIC BUT THE PRICE IMPLIES THAT. WAY BETTER THAN WE ALL EXPECTED. PLAYA DE LAS AMERICAS IS A LOCATION FOR GROUPS OF FRIENDS WHO WANT TO HAVE A GREAT TIME BUT ALSO RELAX- IT'S NOT AS INTENSE AND GRIMY AS MAGALUF ETC.

Recommended restaurants/bars:
-El Americano (cocktails and pizzas are great)
-Papagayo Beach Club (splurge on the last day for lunch- INCREDIBLE)
-Yordy's bar (hilarious night out, good drink deals which get you drunk for the rest of the night)
-Gaffers (down the road from Oro Blanco, British owner, signature drink is the Jucee which is half a pint of vodka with squash- you cannot taste the vodka- gets you drunk fast- such a good idea).

3  Thank harritheginge
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Oro blanco is a good hotel for a cheap holiday excellent location for bars and restaurants, we weren't told until checking in the we had to leave 30€ deposit per person which wasn't a nice surprise, also the wifi we paid for didn't work at all and later found out it's free in reception! Make sure you get a room with a balcony as the studios without are small and hot, housekeeping staff are very good. Would stay there again but in a bigger room but you get what you pay for and we went for the cheaper option so lesson learnt :)

• Stayed: July 2014