“great hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
Worthing, United Kingdom
“great hotel”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Just got back from the marylanza. Spotlessly clean. Very friendly staff. Food was of a very high standard with a lot of choice.Just installed flat screen tvs.Very well placed between los christianos and las playas. We went with thomson and rep was there every day. We bought 3 excursions from rep which was convenient but dont buy premium upgrade tickets as not worth it, was a waste of money. Loro park brillliant but bus got there at half ten and returned at half four so wasnt there long enough. Siam park very good and a 4 euro taxi trip away. Teide by night sounded brilliant for stargazing and was ok but nothing special for a lot of money.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank john l

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (697)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We've stayed here once, and it's by far the best hotel I've stayed in in a long time. We had a pool view and it was gorgeous. Being an aparthotel it felt more like home. The service was great, the food was delicious and the pool area was beautiful! It's such a shame this hotel is a bit of a walk out of Playa De Las Americas, had it been a bit closer it would probably be my top pick, but that can't be helped I guess. It's probably a 20-30 minute walk into town, but the taxis are only 5 euros, however being the type of person that likes to be out and about all the time those taxis add up! Definitely recommend it if you plan on staying on site and using the Spa and Golf faciilities!

Room Tip: Pool views are gorgeous!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Louth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This was a very comfortable hotel. We found the staff in all areas to be extremely friendly, courteous and most helpful at all times. Our accommodation was very spacious and had a most wonderful view over the golf course. The only downside was that Wifi was not yet available in the rooms but only in reception areas. There was a good selection of food at all meal times with some themed evening meals. Sunbeds were always available and we were pleased to see that reserving sunbeds was not allowed before 10am and those that were had the towels removed by the pool staff. All in all we had a most enjoyable holiday and unusually for us we intend to return to this hotel next year.

Room Tip: upgrade to a golf course or garden view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I feel that this holiday is incorrectly sold as a 4 star plus , Premier hotel. It is nice but it has not got the qualities I would expect for this rating .
Positives : very clean, staff very nice, location okay, rooms big, food very nice.
Negatives: rooms very old fashioned and they could do with a make over . My children who had beds in the living area without pillows and it took 3 requests and two nights without a pillow to sleep on before it was corrected.
Altough food nice - repeated too much and not a wide enough change in a weeks duration .
Hotel lacks good ambience and atmosphere. The example I would give is each night music by the pool but a handful of people watching - music not great.
The bars in the hotel - okay a bar in the restaurant but this is only whilst food being served so in essence two bars - pool bar and lobby area. Too small and lacking atmosphere. The pool bar at night insists on serving adults plastic beakers - surely at night when the pool not in use a proper glass would be nice . On one evening I left the dining room night with an unfinished glass of wine - I sat in the bar at the pool ( not by the pool) and I was quickly asked to change my glass to a plastic beaker. As. Responsible 49 year old lady I find this unacceptable , no wonder no adults want to sit in this bar and listen to music !
The other lobby bar as the only alternative to the plastic beaker beach bar - massive lack of atmosphere once again. On my last night I sat in the bar with my husband and ordered drinks . At the end of the night I approached the bar to order a wine and a soft drink I was told that because I did not have my bracket present I should not get my drinks . I explained that I leave first thing in the morning and since my braclet had snapped I did not feel the need to hassle the staff however I could offer my room number and they could check my eligibility of all inclusive. The bar staff spoke to me like I was a common criminal and he would not check my room. I thought this was completely inappropriate considering I was in the bar with my family all wearing the bracelets but I was made to feel like a cheat - surely if I was this common criminal would I really go for a white wine and coke ??
Entertainment after the dismal band at the pool bar and the bingo was non existent .
We arrived on time but no arrival welcome drink offered , sat in the bar and watched other arrivals - some got a welcome drink others did not- why ?
I assume that Thomson have allocated this a Premier hotel dut to being a spa - but every element of the spa is to be paid for - why sell the spa facilities if they are not part if the original booking.
No offence to this hotel because they are nice but this IS NOT A PREMIER/ PLATINUM HOTEL.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Nicola H
MarylanzaSuites, Director General at Marylanza Suites & Spa, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
I regret the unacceptable time frame until the lack of pillows was corrected, when there is a third and fourth person staying in the room the pillows should be found in the wardrobe, I assume that this was not the case for even if the customer had missed to see them the hotel staff should have been able to inform them accordingly and correct the situation immediately.

It is extremely difficult to make the right decision with the décor of a hotel room (apart from personal tastes), something looking great today may be absolutely horrendous in a couple of years and incredibly fashionable 30 years later (when it becomes “vintage”). We won’t wait that long and are already studying different options to brighten up our guest rooms.

Glass should be avoided in the pool area (Health & Safety dixit), so even if drinks are being served at night to an extremely responsible person, accidents may and do happen. In that case and despite the deepest cleaning possible there is always the possibility of a tiny piece of glass remaining unnoticed. Therefore only plastic is allowed in the pool area.

Common criminals would not probably go for a soft drink or a white wine, but some non all-inclusive customers, friends of all-inclusive customers and non-residents may give a try. In order to be eligible for the “All Inclusive” service two things are necessary: this board must be booked/paid for; and the wristband provided by the hotel must be worn at all times. One must come with the other, our policy is very strict in that sense. Our bar staff cannot be checking each customers’ room number to make sure that they are entitled to all-inclusive, that is what the wristband is for. If you have a problem with your wristband our Reception staff, who have means to verify your identity, room number and board, will be glad to help you.

I do not see why Thomson or hotels should not advertise their spa facilities. Potential customers interested in such services should know whether a hotel offers them or not. Even if at a price, just as you pay your green fees at golf resorts or your bets at casino hotels. We advertise our spa wherever and whenever possible because we have it. And it’s so beautiful…
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Quite simply the staff, the service, the food, the facilities, the entertainment, the childrens activities, the rooms are second to none! Absolutely fantastic.
A variety of different meals available every night whilst chefs are there cooking things to order as well, couldnt ask for anymore!

Highly recommended!!!

Room Tip: The garden rooms by the heated pool are excellent, located near the pool and the restaurant
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Gareth N
Blackpool
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I stayed here for 2 weeks with my pregnant wife and 2 yr old son. We have stayed in Tenerife 6 times before so know the place pretty well.
The hotel itself is overall, good.
The food is excellent, no complaints at all about quality, variety and cleanliness. It was delicious, and the waitress, Maku, was lovely and looked after our son in a lovely manner.
The pool area was very clean, no real issues with sunbeds apart from one day when a load of new arrivals came and took all the beds by 9.30. They do not allow reserving sunbeds which I think is a good thing. The pool bar is nice, with a selection of food and drinks. My first complaint is the awful plastic cups that everything is served in. While I understand the need to keep glass away from the pool area, they could at least provide proper plastic glasses, which often is very similar to glass, yet safer. The plastic cups are only 0.25L, so I had to get 2 just to have just less than a pint of lager. Similarly, tea and coffee are served in awful polystyrene cups.
Our first room we were given was pretty disappointing - F210 - which overlooked a local scrubby park with the local tramp sitting there every morning at 11am getting drunk. My wife called him 'Bertramp'. The TV didn't work (Old style CRT - amazing in a 4 star hotel), and the balcony was absolutely tiny, just big enough for 2 chairs and 1 small table. Also this room was a real trek to reach the restaurant and involved a lot of walking, which my 27 wk pregnant wife struggled with. I complained and thankfully was given a replacement room although not until day 6 of 14. We were given room B115, which is one the upgraded rooms, which has a patio directly onto the swimming pool. It was brilliant, especially being able to pop to the room from our sunbeds. It also had an upgraded TV, as the upgrades were occuring the week we stayed there. We do not come on holiday to watch TV, but when I have a 2 yr old in bed and I have had enough of reading, it is nice to plug in my hard drive and watch a nice movie with the wife. Again though, this seemed to be happening a bit late for a 4 star hotel. But overall thanks for moving us and for the free upgrade.
The location of the hotel isn't brillliant, but not the end of the world. It took us about 20 mins to walk to the beach, waddling at my wifes speed, but I managed to jog it in 4 mins 20 secs, so its really not that far. Its just a shame the hotel feels so isolated - theres nothing around it at all.
My final complaint is one which almost made me cancel the booking, which was when I noticed some of the managers responses to negative comments about his hotel, many of which were unprofessional and provocative. Although you may disagree with some negative comments, you should keep your responses professional and to the point, and do not lower yourself into unprofessional responses. It degrades you and the quality of your hotel, which bar a couple of minor points I have made, is an excellent hotel. Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
MarylanzaSuites, Director General at Marylanza Suites & Spa, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
I must apologize to these customers for the room allocation, for it was my personal choice. Even though I was not going to be present during these customers’ visit I personally took care of their requests, for I happened to be the one who replied to their communications to us, I therefore made the follow up myself. Sometimes it is not possible to comply with all requests, but I made my best for them to be allocated a high room with a lovely view and sunshine into the evening, which is what they requested. Room F210 complies with all of them (at least with the “high” and “evening sun” ones, my concept of "lovely" seems to differ though). Obviously Bertramp was not in the original script, I just thought about the beautiful sunsets and that looking at a park should be nicer than at a road. Additionally, since these customers were coming with a 2-year old and had expressed their interest for our spa services, I really thought this room to be just perfect since it is close to the spa and to the children’s pool. I definitely should not think that much, at the end all my efforts only led to disappointment and am glad that my team was able to find a more adequate room.

TV’s have now been changed (better late than never) and unfortunately if you want to have a drink outdoors by the pool it will have to be in plastic cups (polystyrene is the price to be paid not to burn your fingertips). From my own experience plastic reusable glasses look nicer only for a while, they end up giving a strange smell and taste to the drinks served in them and are (or seem to be due to this) less hygienic.

My replies on Tripadvisor are intended for those who are checking this website to decide if Marylanza is the adequate hotel for their holiday needs. In order to make the right decision they need as much information as possible, so I try to give some light to any relevant issues raised. On many occasions I know who they were and/or what they are talking about, so if there are any details missing I will add them. If I feel that the treatment provided is unfair I do not see why I should not let others know our version of the events or explain why we do things the way we do. It is difficult to be objective, but I try very hard and I personally give great importance to frankness and honesty. I apologize if this is unprofessional – definitely not my intention – or politically incorrect, but I do not know how to do it otherwise.
Gorleston-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Just got back from a wonderful 2 week holiday in Playa del las Americas at Marylanza Suites & Spa Resort. This Hotel was wonderful it was disable friendly, slopes everywhere, only1 life that worked well. The rooms were large and inviting, beds were large singles and comfy. The restaurant was roomy, food was of good standed and a good selection of dishes, staff were very helpful and friendly. Playa del las Americas had a lovely prom to walk long with quite a few benches and low walls to sit on. Lots of shops and restaurants, beaches very very clean. Hopefully I'll go again one day. Hotel had Wifi only in the lobby. A.white.

Room Tip: None to give, we asked for 3 rooms together and got them.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends