“Far from Premier!”

Marylanza Suites & Spa
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 January 2011

We have just returned from a week at the Marylanza on a half board basis. The weather was fantastic however the following were disappointing bearing in mind the hotel is sold as a 4 star 'Premier' facility.
1. Additional Charges - we had to pay for use of the gym, towels for the pool and safety deposit box (total for the week - 80 Euros). Not what we expected (should be free for this standard of hotel) nor is this indicated in any of the Thomson literature.
2. Food - agree with other reviews that the food in the buffet restaurant is plentiful but repetitive. If you like veal, pork, rice, chips, tinned veg and fruit you will be fine! Saying that, the food on the whole was good.
3. Restaurant - the restaurant felt more like a canteen due to a lack of natural light. For couples like us there was little consideration to be seated away from families with children. We can speak from experience as the staff would often place us close to a family or sit a family next to us. When asked to be located elsewhere they acted as though this was a big problem for them. There is a big sign at the entrance to the restaurant forbidding guests to take food out but we saw this happen regularly. Gents are asked not to wear shorts for the evening meal but for women this is fine! A challenge to the supervisor one evening (for a woman who's shorts barely covered her backside) was met with a shrug and a its ok with me look!
4. Rooms - clean and spacious, good maid service but it would be nice if they knocked before they came in. Shower in bathroom poor (leaking water through the tap resulting in loss of pressure - was asked to be fixed but it wasn’t) and a shower curtain rail that looked as if it was from the value range at B&Q. It fell down more than it was up! Walls are very thin so you can hear most things. Beware if you are on a ground floor room with either kids above or furniture being moved, take it from us it is noisy!
5. Pool Area - it is annoying that to get to Reception you have to walk through the pool area, difficult with loungers all over the place. Speaking of loungers, if you can find one (and at that, one that is not broken) you are doing well. If you have an ipod take it, kids use all the pools so there is little peace and quiet and it is therefore very difficult to read.
6. Evening Entertainment - pretty poor, especially comedy Elvis. The light entertainment in the lobby bar was on the whole very good.

Hotel did not really meet our expectations.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 January 2011

Lovely hotel but DEFINITELY NOT 5 Star or luxurious !!!! The rooms are spacious enough but shabby dark wood furniture,tatty curtains and bed linen spoils them, they need updating desperateiy. Staff are polite enough.The service at the only bar open after 10.30pm was slow to say the least and did'nt serve coffee so if you wanted one you had to make your own back in your room !!! The smaller more intimate restaurant [only open four nights a week] was OK but it very difficult to get a table in as it only served maybe 20 people on any nite between 7pm and 8pm, which considering the hotel was full we thought was strange.When we asked why were told they did'nt have enough staff to keep it open after 8pm ??? Stayed in better 4* hotels.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jewells26
Reviewed 16 January 2011

We had a great time, hotel was nice and comfortable (not too big, was worried it would be an all inclusive 'cattle market' at meal times, not the case at all).

Food was fabulous, could not fault this at all, I think you need to be looking for faults to be able to criticise. There were varied themes some nights, very well presented, always plenty choice, unless you are eating about 4 or 5 plates full, then it might be a problem to find something different! Whilst we were there the dining room was only ever half full if that, it was peaceful and relaxing.

I did not find the hotel busy at all (which was a major plus), it is advertised as a family hotel...I was aware some guests had been complaining about children!! I was there with my 10 year old daughter and 8 year old son...it really was not heaving with children at all. My two absolutely loved it and are desperate to go back.

Mini disco was the same most nights, however, I do not think I have ever been to one on a long break that is not....again kids loved it. Day time activities were mainly pool, darts, stretching etc. kids took part mostly and really enjoyed it (activities co-ordinator was great with kids).

Night time entertainment was a little disappointing, I think it is more down to the room where it is held...not much atmosphere or stage (big pillars block the view a bit)...not many people went along. Shows were fine.

Agree with comments about the SPA, bit expensive, I would book ahead definitely, we struggled to get slots for a massage or other treatments. I used the gym it was pretty good, this is website link, I could not find it before we went www.spacio10.es (in spanish though).

All in all, we had a super time, a really nice hotel, would definitely go back (already looking). Completely agree with last post about that extra bit of service, its not there, that's why its a 4 star for me.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Chameleon84
Reviewed 6 January 2011

We booked this as hotel having read generally good comments on Trip Advisor, to be fair most are accurate depending on individual circumstances, below is a summary of what we felt was good and what could be improved:

We travelled with First Choice as a family with an 18month old child; we stayed from 28th December-3rd January

Transfer to Hotel:
Be warned if travelling with First Choice, they wait for other flights to arrive from other UK airports before departing, we waited over half an hour on the bus before it departed, the transfer itself only took aprox 30mins. If travelling again I would get a taxi transfer.

Booking In to Hotel:
This is picky but after a travelling all day I hate having to lump around my luggage from the coach to the room and as you will see it is mainly on service points like this that the hotel does not warrant 5 stars. Also considering a coach is dropping off maybe 6+ families 1 luggage trolley is clearly not sufficient, fortunately we anticipated the problem and I left my wife to check in whilst I nabbed the trolley. The check in desk was manned by a 2 staff and it took about 10-15mins to complete the process. The staff was friendly and informative; they also issued information regarding what was included in the "All Inclusive" option - more on that later. Also they do issue beach towels but charge a 10 euro deposit for each towel and if you wish to change it for a clean one during your stay they charge for it!

Rooms:
The hotel comprises just over 100 rooms and these are arranged over 2 levels around the pool, this ensures that you have easy and quick access to the pool area which is in the middle of the complex, the rooms were clean and very spacious, also ideal for those travelling with young families since they all have a small kitchen area with combi-microwave, fridge, 2 ring hob. We were in room G105 overlooking the main road, we didn't have any problem with noise from the road since it is not a busy road anyway. The balcony area was sufficient with a table and 4 chairs, also with a pull out clothes dryer for drying towels etc. One note of caution, if travelling with children you can-not leave them alone on this area since it is open plan to all the other adjacent balconies on that floor, so keep the doors patio doors locked when not in. Also the architects of this hotel failed to consider the noise generated by the arriving/departing guests who wheel their luggage straight past the window of your bedroom - sometimes at 1 am in a morning, also if sensitive to noise you are directly above the Disco area so you can hear the music in your room from the disco below. Fortunately on most evening this finishes before midnight. Also there was a surcharge of around 25 euro for the safe.

Room Service:
There isn't any!! - Again very poor - we arrived fairly late but managed to make dinner, it would have been a nice gesture if they could have put some water in the fridge and maybe some fruit, we did hear of one family who arrived past meal time and were left eating their fingernails.

Maid Service:
We came back every day to find the beds made, floors cleaned, bath towels changed and curtains closed, unlike some hotels they left the card in so the air-conditioning was still on, my only complaint was that they didn't collect the dirty glasses which we had taken from the bar back to our room until they were mounting up on the side to the point where they must have been getting short in the bar.

Pools:
There are 3 pools all with surrounding sun beds, we never had a problem getting a sun bed, even on the busiest day it was still possible to find a free bed and move it if you wanted too.
Needless to say most people were up reserving them and leaving them empty most of the day so another case of having a policy which isn't implemented - why bother! of the pools there is a child’s paddling pool (aprox 1-2ft deep), 1 cool water pool 1.5m deep - this is the longest and also the quietest, mainly used by adults, most of the time it was empty, I never tried it but I'm guessing it was too cold for most and finally on the other side of the pool bar a heated pool again 1.5m deep, this was mainly used by families so was the noisiest area, if you want peace and quiet head for other pool. The pools were always clean.

Food/Drink:
We booked on the all inclusive option, we managed to book into the a la carte for one evening, and this was nice enough and made a change, although we were the only family in there despite them being fully booked???? and we were there from 7-9, in fact it never appeared to be even one quarter full the whole duration we were there but they seemed to insist it was full, which begs the question why bother, either run it as a restaurant with two sittings or get rid of it.

Breakfast:
This is served in the main buffet restaurant, there is plenty of choice, we found the food hot enough but then I don't like to find the rough of my mouth peeling off, the choices included but were not limited to: Meets/cheeses/breads (Very nice)/salmon and fish/caviar/fresh cooked omelettes/sausage/bacon/beans/ weirdly vegetables like carrots/green beans etc - not my cup of tea but out 18month old was delighted/yoghurts/cakes/doughnuts/cereals. Fresh Juices/Cava and Tea and Coffee (the coffee taste awful in fact the only decent cuppa I had on the whole island was the one I bought at Mc Donald’s.)

Lunch/Dinner:
Again this is served in the main restaurant and to be honest seemed to consist of pretty much the same as dinner: Salad bar/cooked meets/cheeses/Fresh Cooked Meat and Fish on the grill/Paella type dish/Pasta and sauces/Pizza/Stews/Vegetables/Occasional roast beef/lamb/Cakes/Rice Pudding/Fruits/Breads.... plenty of choice, as for complaints of lots of veal stew, yes veal is very popular, but there are plenty of other things to choose from. My only complaint would be that they are understaffed; we were always offered a drink on sitting down but never offered again, so we got in the habit of ordering two.

Snacks:
This is were I felt the hotel underperformed, particularly in comparison to other hotels we have been to, in the leaflet given to us at reception it said brunch 10-12 at the pool bar, snacks 1-3 and 4-5, in reality despite the pool bar serving pizza etc to full paying guests, all inclusive guests were limited to some burgers and sausages that had been kept warm all day, if you were lucky there was a bun and some salad to go with it. There were also some tubs of ice cream, you could order a pizza but as the waiter pointed out to us you would be charged.

However what I can say is New Years Eve was amazing, the food was fantastic, with Oysters/Lobster/Steaks/Roasts/Luxury Ice Cream and Sorbets/Salmon, a real feast we thoroughly enjoyed it.

Drinks:
Drinks are limited to two per person but to be honest we never found the bar busy or were left waiting long, all inclusive are limited to the local beer/wine and spirits. Water was served in small 250ml bottles, ideal for taking out and about. Personally I wasn't keen on the white or rose but found the red drinkable and managed to sink a few of the Sangria. The main bar in the reception was nice area and we didn't encounter any yobs or big mouths which makes a nice change for an all inclusive. Also on another note we didn't encounter any smokers in the bars or restaurants.

Entertainment:
We didn't really take much advantage of the entertainment apart from the Kiddies Disco which comprised of the same music for 30mins each night, the poor girl that runs it must perform the routines in her sleep! But our 18month old enjoyed it and the repetition meant she knew the moves but the end of our weeks stay.

On the whole despite my comments we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would revisit, I have been critical as I feel they would be better increasing the staff numbers and increasing the service levels and running this hotel as a 5 star hotel, I would rather pay a bit more and have the finishing touches that make your holiday that little more relaxing, also a note on the Wi-Fi, this is only available in the lobby - and can be temperamental!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank cdancer77
Reviewed 5 January 2011

Arrived on Xmas Eve, reception mixed up all rooms so we had to explain oursleves for the whole holiday. Weather was poor so we looked forward to spending time in spa whilst husbands were on golf course, sadly....although we had paid "spa hotel prices" we had to pay to get into spa area. We had assumed the treatments were chargable, not the entry. Staff were unfriendly, many signs saying "no inflatables" "no music" ..........no FUN :(. Area surrounding pool was dirty. Expensive deposits required for table tennis bats and very expensive safety deposit boxes. Food, although plentiful, was not very varied.......mmmmmm more veal stew!!! Will not be going back :-(

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 January 2011

me my wife, brother and sister in law first stayed here in november 2009. My brother and sis in law went again in feb 2010. To look on a map you think you are a way out but as we found this was not the case, turn right out of the hotel and you are 5-10 mins from the night life. Cross the road and bare left and you are 10mins from the shops and los christianos.
We are going back again in later this month and cannot wait, this review i have been meaning to do since we got back in 2009.
The food was the best i have ever had in any hotel in tenerife and we go 2 or 3 times a year.
The room was amazing our room lead straight onto the pool so all we had to do was open the patio doors and we were at the pool, also the rooms are very spacious.
Service we have never had bad service at any hotel on the island and here was no different, the staff always said hola and service was always good.
The hotel its self was clean all the way through, rooms, lobby, restaurant and bar. There is a shop located in the hotel this is the only part of the hotel i felt was not in line with the rest of the hotel as it was not very well stocked.
The spa i did not use but my wife and sis in law did, it cost 20euros but they said it was worth every penny.
The overall holiday was brilliant and we have not hesitated to go back.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank boz_11
Reviewed 2 January 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Marylanza in November 2010 - we had a good holiday and we could not fault the hotel cleanliness, the rooms were fabulous with a separate bedroom, large bathroom and its good living area with excellent facilities - we stayed on a half board basis but it was great to be able to make drinks and prepare a small snack at lunch times (if we needed it). As for the food we always found enough choice the food could have been warmer. On our return I did send the manager of the hotel an email with our comments and never had a reply. This is our comments of the hotel : we were fortunate enough to be allocated a room facing the golf course, but not to be able to look over as those rooms are surcharged, the hotel room was very quiet and it allowed us to rest and sleep well, but as for the dining room area - for couples it was very noisy and sometimes messy there was hoards of families and very noisy children and babies - some parents did the decent thing in trying to keep their children amused during meal times but others didn't and this made for some very uncomfortable meal times with children and babies crying and screaming. My husband and I used to look around for a table where there was less children in the vicinity but this was not always possible. We tried to go to breakfast and dinner early or late in the hope to get a peaceful meal time but this didn't happen very often, I did suggest tio gthe manager in email to him that the dining room could be split in half to allow adults peace and quiet meal times but as I said I had no response from him. This Thomson holiday is in the premier section of the brochure and we think it should be in the families selection. Going on a holiday that is marked premier means nothing when you arrive at the hotel and use the dining room facilities. As for the sunbed area the many families that use this hotel take up a sunbed for all the family leaving a lot of days when there was no sunbeds available for adults to use, most of which were taken up with towels all day and never in use. If you use this hotel you are advised to take an umbrella - during our stay we had some tropical storms and to get to the reception and dining room areas you have to walk through the pool areas to get to them - as the passageways are mostly un-covered. The evening entertainment was reasonable with only two acts that was worth watching, the tenor singer and the Abba night and even this was spoilt sometimes with very noisy children not being controlled by their parents, as for the other entertainment it was fairly under average.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple