“If you're serious about detoxing this is the place for you”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rushton
Homefield Grange Retreat
England
“If you're serious about detoxing this is the place for you”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I think I would enjoy this more a second time round once I knew how things worked and was more psychologically prepared for it. The main thing to understand is that this place is all about detoxing. They are quite evangelical about it. Also, you eat what you are given, when you are given it. This is a glass of juice for breakfast (along with some hot lemon water and a shot of drinkable fibre), a glass of juice at lunch, one at four o'clock and a huge bowl of vegetable soup in the evening. At the beginning of the week you are given a sheet to write down anything you are allergic to or sensitive to, take my advice and look through the menu for the week and if there is something you really can’t stand (in my case ginger), tell them then and they should be able to leave it out of yours. You don’t get any choice about what juice you have, the juice for any particular “meal” is set and you drink that juice. The only choice is if you want to have a “vegetable only” juice or a mixed juice with fruit and vegetables. You can opt to come off the menu and go on to a light food diet. That said many of the juices were delicious and I rarely felt hungry, but having to eat a bowl of soup who’s flavours I really couldn't stand was pretty grim. In the evenings they show a film, but it is a film about why eating this way is good for you. We all sat there one evening saying how nice it would be if once in a while they could just screen a normal film as it would be nice to just have a break from it. There are only around 15 guests, all going through the same thing as you, so you get a real sense of camaraderie and it is definitely a good place to go as a solo traveller.

As for the place, the staff are truly lovely. It feels like you've gone to stay with your favourite aunt of something. You get the feeling that they really care about you and how you’re coping with it. The place is lovely. There is a train line on an embankment very close by and the trains are noisy but they seem to come in fits and starts. I didn't find it annoying, but at times it does sound a bit like you’re near the flight path to Heathrow. I think I stayed in the same room as the person who complained in their review and I think this room probably has the worst experience from it. I would ask for a room in the main house (this also means you don’t have to keep taking your shoes on and off). I’d also recommend asking for a room with it’s own bathroom as you are going to going in there a lot (liquid only diet).

In the mornings there is Nordic walking, followed by a work out class and yoga in the gym, all of which is optional. This goes on until 11 in the morning which is when most of the staff come in. There are a few treatments you can book such as facials, or massages or slimming treatments and I think it is well worth booking these as it breaks up the day. It can feel like a long time between lunch and dinner when you’re fasting. Contrary to the impression I got these can be booked in advance and it’s probably a very good idea to look at what they've got and do this to make sure your day is as full as you want it to be. You also have a colonic as part of your detox and can book more. I've had a few in my life and these guys have the best equipment and really know what they are doing. I have to say that compared to others I've had this was the least traumatic, most professionally done.

So, would I go back? Yes, probably. I lost 9 pounds in 5 days which surprised me. I would probably even stay for longer as I think it’s hard to un-train a lifetime of bad eating habits in a matter of days. That is if they’d have me.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank KSA-UK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 24 May 2014

You choose Homefield Grange because you want to get away from bad eating habits, stress and everyday life that over takes us all in this mad mad world we now find we live in..

With these as your motives you will not be disappointed.

Indeed, you will find a.visit here to be the most wonderful experience.

The staff, led by owners Hans and Suzanne are totally dedicated to making your visit transformational and cannot be more friendly and attentive to this objective.

You will make friendships easily sharing many a story over the breakfast or supper table with other fellow "inmates" ...

Along with your daily detox juices and evening soups, there is good range of morning exercise and yoga classes to enjoy followed by afternoon treatments...

When time comes to check out and have your final treatment room debrief more often than not happy faces emerge with news that a few lbs and inches have been lost...sometimes more than quite a few !!!

I said it was inspirational and that is precisely what I believe you will also say about it...

Room Tip: Only one room, Lavender has a bath all else have shower rooms...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank RGGold
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This was my second time at Homefield Grange and it has changed my life and the way I view food . The staff are extremely welcoming. The place is peaceful and quiet and I loved having some me time. I stayed for a week the first time and a weekend the second time losing 11lb and 5lb respectively and I have kept the weight off. You can do as much or as little as you want. There is no pressure to do anything you don't want to do and I am already saving for my next trip

Room Tip: There are rooms which share a bathroom so make sure you ask for an ensuite if you don't want to...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

I had never been on a detox retreat before and was quite nervous when arriving, not really knowing what to expect. The warm welcome I received on arrival put me immediately at ease. My room was beautifully decorated, comfortable and peaceful, perfect to relax in after the daily activities. The lounge with its lovely open fire was wonderful to sit in and read and reflect on what I had learnt about adopting a healthier lifestyle.

I thought I knew something about nutrition but during my stay at Homefield I realised that I had been previously seduced by false advertising about low fat meals in the media and had been in fact not helping my body at all. The freshly prepared juices and soups made me realise the importance of a cleaner diet, well lifestyle in fact! I could not believe how well I felt after 6 days - I had suffered from a recurring mouth abscess for the 4 months prior to my visit and in 6 days it was gone completely and has not returned. The supplements that were recommended to me have been really beneficial.

I also lost 7 pounds and 8 inches I a week which was a massive added bonus!

The talks on nutrition were excellent and as a result I have incorporated so much more fresh fish and veg into my diet, cut our caffeine completely but am still partial to a few glasses of red wine! I am trying to live by the 80/20 rule which was recommended during my stay and it works!

I cannot thank Suzanne and her team enough for their advice, support and expertise during my stay. I hope I can return soon.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Suzanne P, Owner at Homefield Grange Retreat, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Dear Client, Just to say thank you for your valued feedback. All of us at Homefield truly believe in the importance in our health and wellbeing. I am so pleased that you felt our passion. It is our please to be of service in helping and supporting our guests to make positive changes to enhance their world and in helping them live to their true potential. Thank you so much for your comments. Very best wishes,
Team Homefield
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed my week here. The staff were excellent & highly professional. It's a great place to go to detox & reboot your lifestyle or simply to chill out a bit. I enjoyed the walks & the extra workout & yoga classes. I found the staff to be friendly & helpful. My room was very pleasant although a little small, I would probably book a larger room next stay. I did sleep very well though & didn't here any train noise whatsoever. The extra treatments on offer are worth considering for your specific needs or health concerns. The vitamins & supplements offered are some of the best I've tried & I would highly recommend. I stayed a week, but probably 5 days would have suited me better, the week was just a bit long. I did feel exceptionally well after the stay here.

Room Tip: Some people complain of noise from railway, but nobody heard a thing the week I was there. So ensure...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

After looking at many other detox/weight loss places in the UK I decided on this one and am so glad that I did. Felt a little nervous about going on my own, but apart from one couple, the rest of the 15 guests were all single. Sharing our stories and experiences over a delicious bowl of homemade soup was just one of the highlights for me. It is hard to describe how wonderful the staff are, all passionate, so caring and very experienced in what they do. They all seem to really enjoy working at Homefield which makes for a fabulous atmosphere for the clients. I was treated with such care and attention, something I have not found in larger more commercial style health farms.
I cant say I didn't miss my usual glass of red wine, but the way I felt after five days was incredible. I was lighter in mind and body and motivated to start looking after myself in a kinder, more attentive way. Being able to step away from my busy life was a huge plus, the ambience, the setting, the venue is all first class. I have not felt this relaxed in years.
The nutritional and lifestyle talks were most beneficial and I learnt a lot more than I thought I would. Things which I thought were healthy, turned out not to be!! I like the way they encourage you to take part in as much or as little as you feel like doing. The most exercise for me was the Nordic walking through the beautiful countryside, I was not keen on the more energetic classes, but it was nice to have the variety. I have also ordered my own Nordic poles to keep up the good work.
The room I had was Honesty, which had a beautiful view over the countryside and also the courtyard. Talking to other guests, they all seemed to be happy with the quality of their rooms. Particularly liked having my own DVD player in my bedroom.
Found most fascinating the live blood analysis and the intolerance testing. Was a little shocked to discover that my biological age was seven years older than my actual age, but it has certainly given me food for thought. All in all, if you value your health and want a reboot, this is the one place to go. I have already booked my next stay at Homefield!!

Room Tip: I had Honesty room which was a large classic. Absolutely fabulous! Would have liked a kettle in th...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Dennis P
Bromley, England
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Just back from a 5 night stay at this so called retreat. Very shocked and disappointed to find that it is located next to the busy East Midlands railway line used for high speed trains London/York and freight trains. Couldn't open my bedroom window because of the noise. Asked to change rooms to the back of the venue but told I couldn't because it would mess with their arrangements for the rest of the stay. I had little choice but to stay as I'd booked the week off work and paid everything up front. The nordic walking throughout the stay took us up & down the line! Other guests commented but got the impression that they weren't prepared to say anything. To cap it all, there was no one around to do a check out at the end of my stay nor did the housekeeper know when the appropriate person would be arriving & I had to leave without a weigh out etc. (turns out that the retreat coordinator had had to take her cat to the emergency vet but didn't communicate this to the venue nor was there any back up). I then entered into an exchange of emails seeking redress (not proactively offered by the venue). Left a very unpleasant taste in the mouth after what should have been a relaxing and rejuvenating stay. I will not be back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank MrsJH
Suzanne P, Owner at Homefield Grange Retreat, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Client, Thank you very much for your review. Feedback is very important to us as a company to help us ensure that we offer a high quality personalised service to our valued guests. The railway line you mentioned is located 1/4 of a mile away from our beautiful retreat, I am pleased to say that we have not had any problems in the past as regards any noise from the four trains that travel from London to Sheffield each hour. I understand that you did not like the fact that you could see the railway track in the distance because it reminded you of your stressful journeys into work. Our apologies. One of the reasons clients enjoy coming to Homefield Grange Retreat, is the stillness of our venue and the fact that we are set in 23 acres of peaceful countryside. We do our best to accommodate all clients requests, however due to the popularity of our programmes and with our high returning client base, all rooms each week are sold out.
Our practitioners like to carry out a comprehensive health check for clients on arrival and departure. Your notification that you would be leaving early on Friday morning was not given to our co-ordinator until late Thursday evening. Our practitioners do not start their shift until 11am each morning, so as a gesture of goodwill our receptionist offered to come in early and do a weigh in for you. Unfortunately her generosity backfired, as her cat was taken to the emergency vet during the night and she was not able to carry out her promise. We sincerely apologise that your late notification did not allow us time to complete your scheduled programme. From all of us at Homefield Grange we wish you a healthy and happy life.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rushton
Rushton Hall Hotel and Spa
Talbot Hotel
Talbot Hotel
#1 of 1 in Oundle
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,023 reviews

Been to Homefield Grange Retreat? Share your experiences!