“Dreadful customer service”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Corby, United Kingdom
“Dreadful customer service”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Our family of 5 adults have just got home having experienced some of the worst customer service I have ever encountered in a pub/restaurant. We had just visited the delightful Rushton Hall as we have a party for 90 people there in a couple of months time, and wanted to check out where a load of us could have lunch before the party. The obvious place would be the Thornton Arms but after our experience today, I shall not be going back. The sign at the front door says "welcome" ,but it was very far from it.

There were three tables empty with no reserved signs on any when we walked in. We ordered drinks at the bar and were served begrudgingly. The drinks all appeared, but then when we tried to order some food I was asked if we had a reservation. I said I had not, so the barmaid then asked me if we would like to sit outside - unfortunately it was raining and cold, so I declined!

We were then given a £19 bill for the drinks, and were given precisely 7 minutes before being ushered out as they had to lay the tables.

It was a shame, as it looked like a nice place, but with drinks only half drunk, at a cost of £19, and with staff who were clearly not interested in the level of service they provided, I will not be going back, and they have missed out on a very large lunch booking. Despite the response from the landlady to an earlier negative review, it was really poor.

• Visited April 2014
4 Thank Craig H
Evermily, Owner at Thornhill Arms, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us on Easter Sunday. I'm extremely sorry that you felt we provided dreadful customer service with regards to having to ask you to vacate the table you had chosen. If we had the capacity to seat you and your guests on Sunday, we genuinely would have, but unfortunately on this occasion, due to having a full reservation list all day, it simply was not possible.

With regards to the tables being empty and free when you arrived, my staff were in the middle of clearing and preparing for the next table to be seated.

We do have signs throughout the bar and restaurant asking guests to report to the bar to be shown to a table - for the exact reasons you have stated in your review. That way, we would have been able to advise that we were unfortunately unable to accommodate you and your guests. It's was only then, when you came to order food at the bar that we were made aware you had not made a reservation.

Once again, I'm honestly sorry if you feel our service was dreadful, but I simply could not offer you any table on Easter Sunday due to having a full reservation list.

Many Thanks
Samantha

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A really good place to go”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We were staying at nearby Rushton Hall. One evening, having wandered over for a drink, we discovered this pub. Lovely outside area overlooking the countryside, perfect for an early evening drink. Another night we went for a meal. Excellent food, helpful, friendly staff. Terrific value for money. All in all an excellent evening out. Wish we lived nearer, as everybody would like to have a place like this on their doorstep.

• Visited April 2014
Kettering, United Kingdom
“Busy carvery”
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Arrived with my wife and son on a busy Sunday and was seated with no problems and order taken and drinks and child high chair made available. Staff were all friendly and polite and couldn't be more helpful. With a four roast carvery on the menu yum yum. The meat is all fresh and the choice is good,I thought a little expensive for what it was but I was happy to pay as we all left stuffed. The only fault I could find was as the food that is being produced which is all day can be a bit dry or well done but very good for the family.

Northants
“Good value mid week meal Very busy weekends Good service”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Visited mid week with friends, tried it once very impressed, tried it twice still good. Nice decor Good service , reasonable prices. Go back again, it is some where you can take friends and not worry. Chef & team present the dishes well and always hot.keep up the standard Thornhill Team

• Visited March 2014
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Well worth a visit”
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Visited this pub on a recommendation of a friend and was not disappointed. Really nice restaurant spacious very well set out, excellent menu visiting this pub you won't be disappointed.

Visited March 2014