“Room ok service terrible”
Review of The Finch's Arms

The Finch's Arms
Ranked #1 of 1 Hambleton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

We knew we were going to be late arriving and from seven onwards were phoning to tell them on the website number. It was unavailable. We arrived at 11.40pm and wondered around shouting for assistance. No one was around. We rang the "emergency" number and after thirty minutes someone answered and came to check us in. Once someone finally arrived to check is in he complained about the fact that 12 was the final check in we explained that we had been calling for hours to let them know but he wasn't bothered. When we looked at the clock it was ten to twelve and we had been there for for half an hour trying to contact someone to check us in. The room was nice but then after sleep we went down to breakfast. We ordered a bacon sandwich and scrambled egg on toast. After an hour we were brought some toast and ten minutes later we were brought scrambled eggs (on its own as she had brought the toast earlier in case it got cold?!) and a bacon sandwich with stale bread. After breakfast we went to ask reception for an iron, and the guy there didn't even look up from his phone before shouting the breakfast waitress to find one for us. Upon check out we were asked whether or not we needed to pay. Not a big issue but we needed to pull out all our documents to show that we had because they didn't know. The building and room were nice but service was shocking!!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank CJ87

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We stayed 2 nights here for a family party elsewhere in Hambledon. Although for our second night we had to book a twin room as no doubles were available, the staff put the beds together without being asked and arranged for us to move from one to the other before we went out for the day.
Restaurant was great - lovely food and friendly and efficient service. They were very helpful and accommodating to the 2 toddlers whose parents ate with us in the evenings and we couldn't have asked for better treatment.

Room Tip: Our rooms did not face Rutland Water and it is such a good view that it would be worth trying to boo...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Whilst the service was rather slow, staff were friendly and keen to please. I was with my husband and brother in law, and getting drinks at the bar took a while, but once the waitress had taken our order it arrived very quickly. Two if us just has panini's but both were really tasty and my husband had the battered prawns which he said were delicious. A great place to go for lunch either before or after a good walk

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2014

After reading some mixed reviews decided to give it a chance. Honestly the food was ok, what you expect from country pub but could add some specials. Once ordered the food came within ten mins. It was the service which was devastating. Arriving at 2:30 we were one of three tables and only one other were eating so you would expect service to be on the ball. In 1 hour and a half we had only one course and only had a second drink because we asked. The staff walked past numerous times but seemed unaware of us sitting there. When we did get drinks half were wrong and the other half didn't appear. We gave up waiting to pay and paid at the bar, when asked if everything was ok we expressed our dissatisfaction to have a simple apology which was the types where you know they were just going to ignore it. Needless to say we will not be returning which is a shame as there is obviously a good chief which is being let down by the quality of service.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lindsey B
Reviewed 10 August 2014

When I arrived at the reception I thought I had wandered into a part of the hotel I shouldn't have been in - it was a mess, papers and diary left open with visitors personal details on view and no-one was around and it was like that all the time I stayed there. I booked a room overlooking the lake and it was pleasant although when I opened the window everyone in the garden could see into the room, so there was no privacy. I had to put towels on the bathroom floor as it got soaked with condensation and there were no shelves in the bathroom, so I had to take all my stuff in and out every time as I couldn't put it on the wet floor. There were no drawers in the room and the desk was cluttered with a huge tray and tea making things and the TV - there was no room to put anything else. There was a mirror on the wall but this wasn't anywhere near a plug socket so I couldn't see in it to dry my hair. One day the room was not cleaned at all. There were several trip hazards when the staff were cleaning - I had to step over the vacuum cleaner and bedding that was left on the floor. There was what I thought was a workman wandering around in dirty jeans and a top but as I went down to breakfast at 9am he said "O I thought we'd finished breakfast" - why when it is supposed to be served until 10am - so I think he may have been the owner. Obviously it is a pub and I was there during the hot weather and it was noisy as people were sitting in the garden and I had the windows open - I had to put the subtitles on the TV as I couldn't hear it! The noise did stop about 10.30 so it didn't keep me awake. The restaurant was very dark in places and again quite stuffy in the hot weather.

On the plus side the food was absolutely excellent, although sometimes a little pricey and they charged extra for gravy! Their chef is their best asset but all the serving staff were friendly, helpful and very attentive. The bed was comfortable.

I would suggest eating here but staying elsewhere as there are lots of really nice hotels around. If you do stay here you will need a fan as the room is very stuffy and it is not really possible to leave the windows open at night as they are full length. You will also need an extension lead as there are limited plug sockets and they are not in useful places.

It's really nice as a pub and a fantastic restaurant, but as a hotel they have a lot to sort out.

Room Tip: The rooms over looking the lake and garden are probably best in Spring and Autumn, not great in the...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Morwenna40
handyman09, Manager at The Finch's Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Thank you for your review and i'm very pleased that you have enjoyed your meal when you stayed with us. With regards to your other comments we have taken them on the board and currently the ventilation has been sorted in Room 1 as new extraction has been installed & additional sockets for our rooms are due to be put in the Autumn.

We do how ever have two bed side drawers in all our rooms as well have built-in wardrobe, in the room you stayed there is a side window which can be fully opened if you did not wish to use the balcony doors.

Our check-in policy is from 15:00 on wards and the rooms could be cleaned any time from 10:00 - 15:00.

We do serve breakfast between 08:00 - 10:00 and the comment made was due to them thinking all guests had been down as they were preparing to start maintenance on the terrace and did not want to disturb others so this was just a misunderstanding.

Our reception is our office and is just used as a point of contact for guests arriving, we have taken your comments on board which we find relevant and/or have not be addressed already.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Beautiful Small hotel, filled with old charm & modern facilities..
Lovely Bar, local excellent beers, delightful dinning room overlooking Rutland water, very picturesquare, it really is the SandBanks of the Midlands...
I was travelling solo, had tasty and delightful dinner in the bar..

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view...prettier & which are also quieter, not that its noisy, I was over the fron...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We called in looking for a drink after an impromptu walk, so had not read any of the reviews. We were warmly welcomed by the bar staff when we ordered drinks, which we took onto the terrace to enjoy the wonderful views. A very friendly waitress came and asked if we planned to eat and she explained that she would bring menus out at 6.30pm when cooking started. She was true to her word and remained attentive throughout the evening, appearing at appropriate intervals to check if we needed more drinks and to clear empty plates and glasses. The set menu offered good value, tasty options and the a la carte, although pricier was again good quality, although the main courses could have been slightly larger for the price. We had a query on the bill but this was resolved immediately. We would definitely visit again and noted that they also served morning coffee and afternoon teas.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank maddogsslave
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hambleton
The Admiral Hornblower
The Falcon Hotel
The Falcon Hotel
#2 of 3 in Uppingham
The Old Wisteria Hotel

Been to The Finch's Arms? Share your experiences!