“Comfortable and welcoming”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Edinbane
The Lodge at Edinbane
Ranked #13 of 13 Edinbane B&B and Inns
“Comfortable and welcoming”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

Had a great nights stay at The Lodge, Edinbane. The owners are lovely, interesting and welcoming people who did their best to make our stay as comfortable as possible. The Lodge its self is very old (1500s) and has the look and sense of a really old building (but well maintained) full of history and character and the owners have furnished it with lovely period pieces and curios which really add to the atmosphere of the Hotel. We chose to go to another restaurant for an evening meal, however the menu at the Lodge looked varied and traditional and if breakfast was anything to compare by will be superbly cooked and tasty. Our room had a period feel to it, clean and comfortable bed, en suite with clean and adequate facilities. Would definately book here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Darlington, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

Called here for a drink in the afternoon with a view to eat there in the evening!UGH! Didn't bother booking a table because the smell hit us as we walked in the door! Stale beer, dogs and sweaty old men- my advice - steer clear - eat over the road.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Vixen1955
Stuttgart, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

I had such a fabulous stay at this B&B! It was literally exactly what I was looking for. I like authentic places to stay, rather than chain hotels. I like places with character. Added to that, I was travelling by myself and that can get quite lonely...You end up sitting at the bar by yourself much of the time. This place was the PERFECT solution to both issues.

The Lodge itself was a blast from the past...It's an old carriage house and while it is still clean and has modern amenities, there is still a lot of history there. The decor was lovely, my room was so cute! The bathroom was nice and modern...very clean. I had the cutest stain glass skylight. The common room was very comfortable as well, with big leather couches and wifi (which you will be thankful for because reception in that area is awful). The bar was probably the best part. They have an excellent seleciton of scotch and beer, as well as some wine and other spirits. It's the kind of place where locals actually do come and hang out, and they were very friendly to me. Peter and Hazel introduced me around and I had some rounds with the guys. I also ate in the bar (you can eat in the dining room, but I didn't really want to). The food, prepared by Hazel, was outstanding. Traditional Scottish fare, but VERY well done (now I'm craving toffee pudding...). Also, Hazel and Peter were so nice and friendly...They made sure I had everything I needed and (as I mentioned) introduced me to everyone. The rest of the staff is super nice as well. It's really like staying with a family as opposed to a full on hotel. It is exactly how I imagined a Scottish B&B to be...friendly and welcoming and homey. I totally want to stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper and tend to go to bed early, try not to get a room above the bar. I went...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Karla M
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2012

We have spent 6 of the last 7 nights in the Bar at "The Lodge"... eating twice... and loved every minute of it! Yes, the landlord - Peter - is a character... but the question I would ask all the people who have criticised him, is would you rather spend an evening in an anonymous pub, with no atmosphere & nothing to remind you of it in a month's tine, let alone a year's... or would you rather spend an evening (or 6 in our case), laughing at and with the barman, amused by the anecdotes, but still thoroughly entertained? I know which one I would choose. Every night we walked in, our pints would be poured & he would open the wine for our ladies. He was genuinely interested in where we had been... & the food, cooked by his equally characterful wife, Hazel, was exquisite. We had Haggis one night, which was beautifully peppery... & Venison casserole, which she especially made for us, another... which was my meal of the week across a range of establishments. I also had a wonderful jam roly-poly, which was just perfect! We went in November, so it was quiet, but still a wonderful bar - loads of character - nice wood burner. The ale was from the Skye Brewery which was really, really good. They also have two beautiful black labradors - Brodie & Toby - who are both lovely & very affectionate. This is a great pub, serving good food - thoroughly recommended!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Simon C
Inverness, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

We chanced this place even after reading a mixed bag of reviews and wish we hadn't now. We had planned to stay for 3 nights however lasted one night. It is very overpriced out of date and you can get a lot better place to stay for cheaper on the Isle of Skye. Rooms are very small with decor from 40 years ago. The main reason for leaving was the manager's attitude when it came to customer service, all he wanted to do was sit behind the bar and anything extra was of great hassle for him. Being a dog friendly place he even had his own opinions on how one should look after their own dog which I didn't take kindly to expressing my opinions in a friendly manner however, reading from another review his attitude sounds exactly the same swearing and telling us to go elsewhere which i did with great pleasure the next day. We checked straight out the next day however were charged for the extra night that we didn't stay as we left at midday and not the apparent check out time of 10 am which we were never informed about. All that mattered here was your money to them and that's it. I grudgingly departed with my hard earned cash as I had had enough and just wanted to leave. Overall review - DO NOT STAY HERE - PLEASE DO NOT CHANCE IT LIKE US AS YOU WILL BE EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank HotelInspector43
Cardiff
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012

We recently arrived on Skye amid a torrential downpour, and not wishing to pitch a new tent in this we phoned several hotels that would allow dogs. The Lodge at Edinbane were immediately helpful and offered us a twin room with our own private bathroom, no problem with our feisty little terriers either. Getting there we were relieved to find a lovely character period building that has the atmosphere of an old inn. Very comforting and dry, nice clean & warm room, satelite TV and lots of interesting features around the hotel that made it special and just up our alley. The owners are a nice couple who are very friendly and made us right at home. Great home cooked bar food, friendly barman who told us all sorts of places to visit.
Would definitely recommend for a stay on Skye, especially with small dogs like ours. it isn't a modern "Holiday Inn" or all-facilities hotel with spas and all mod cons, but a lovely old country inn style of comfort & welcome you will get. If you like historical character and a homely atmosphere that is also dog-freindly this will be for you.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank stargemmer
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

We stayed for two nights in this very interesting hotel. The rooms are basic but clean and you have everything you need. The staff are very friendly and ready to offer suggestions for local sightseeing and beauty spots. The pub food as well as breakfast is superb, all lovingly home cooked and pleasantly served.
We can not recognize any of the negative comments made by previous reviewers. to the contrary, when we go back to this beautiful island, we will stay in The Lodge again!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edinbane
Redwood House Hotel
#1 of 5 in Portree
Portree Hotel
Portree Hotel
#2 of 5 in Portree

Been to The Lodge at Edinbane? Share your experiences!