“Hotel is under renovation”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Midland Plaza
Ranked #7 of 45 Hotels in Midland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Carrollton, Texas
“Hotel is under renovation”
Reviewed 24 March 2013

We have stayed at this hotel at least 250 nights across our travels to Midland. Now that the property is a DoubleTree, it is undergoing massive renovations. I think this is a GREAT thing! The "spa" is gone - I didn't even know they had one and I'm a spa girl! The bar is going to be much larger and hopefully brighter and ... PLEASE ... smoke free! Let them smoke in the garage! To get to the South tower, you have to walk through a maze of the construction but the is all worth the end game.

Now, let's talk about Midland and hotels in Midland. If you want a room in Midland that has any quality at all, you better book 60 days in advance! YES! 60 DAYS! Why? The oil business is gushing with people trying to make money in Midland. So, for those of you that think there are problems with this property, just wait until 15 days prior to your trip and grab one of those hourly rooms in Odessa. After missing the Hilton / DoubleTree property by trying to book 45 days out on several occasions, I can tell you that this is the premiere property in Midland. And if you are expecting an Exec Lounge, don't bother. It makes business sense for DT to use that space for revenue rooms rather than free drinks.

I have quarterly business in Midland and this is my go-to property. Period. Do see my Tips For Choosing A Good Room.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly refurbished room. You will have to walk thru renovations, but if you don't ask...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank DLemon
helen_futrell, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Midland Plaza, responded to this review, 25 March 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely and accurate review of our property! I can't wait for this renovation to be finished and for you to return and enjoy the expansion to the lounge! The lounge is non-smoking now, with a separate cigar room with extra ventilation. It makes The Reserve amazing! I know you will love it!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 17 March 2013

The room smell of perspiration. The color of the towels appeared white but were not white. The linen did not smell fresh. All during the night you oculd hear trains passing outside your window. There were a lot of construction work going on. It is understandable that the hotel might be going through some upgrade at this time.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
helen_futrell, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Midland Plaza, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our facility. As you noted we are nearing the end of a major renovation. I do hope you will return and see the finished product! We are very excited about it! I have made note of the issues you brought up in your review, and have spoken to our Executive Housekeeper in regards to them. We have not changed our cleaning methods, nor have we changed detergents. I am unsure why your linens were not sparkling white and fresh. We do have a high volume of use on things like linen and rotate new stock in frequently. I hope this will not dissuade you from returning and giving us another chance. Our goal is to provide exceptional customer service and be the best facility in the Permian Basin.
Springfield
Reviewed 10 March 2013

This used to be the Hilton. Without an executive lounge or floors. Convenient because it's right in the center of downtown. As such it was fairly average. When I stayed here years ago, they still had smoking floors, but you could even smell the smoke on non-smoking floors because they did not enforce the non-smoking policy. Now it's been changed to be a DoubleTree, but it's the same old place, just with a lot of unannounced construction with rooms at full prices. My next door room was open and under construction without any dust barrier, as was the entire lobby on the street level. So the restaurant (more like a low class diner) is open, entirely open, to the dusty construction on the floor. Yum! Bring a dust mask. You'll need it! And, if you ask for a toothbrush, it will never be delivered. You'll have to go back downstairs to get it once you realize that it just is never going to happen. The front desk staff was noted to be having a verrrry long romantic discussion while, across the counter, rather than tending to business. But hey, it's Midland. Unless you own an oil company, it's got to be the most boring millionaire town in the world. Complete with sulfur dioxide and dust in the air all around you. Do anything to avoid this hole.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mysteri0usTraveler
helen_futrell, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Midland Plaza, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our facility. I'm glad you find us to be conveniently located for your business here in Midland, TX. I do apologize for the construction you encountered during your visit. All of our rooms have been renovated and we are now working on our public areas as you noted. Yes, it can be quite dusty at times and we are working diligently to make this process as non-invasive to our guests as possible. I would disagree that we are doing all this without dust barriers, as we have plastic sheeting everywhere as well as temporary walls to keep the mess as contained as we can. It is difficult at best to undertake a major renovation while being open for normal business. We are doing our part in maintaining an environment conducive to guest health and well being. As a Double Tree property we are now a non-smoking facility, and no longer have smoking floors. We do have a separate cigar room in the bar with extra ventilation for our smokers. I hope you noted the smokey smell was gone from our guest floors. I would like to apologize that the toothbrush you asked for was not delivered to your room for you. I'm sure that was an oversight and will not happen again. I will address the issue of the desk staff being in conversation and not mindful to our guests. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I do hope that you will return after the renovations are completed and enjoy the expansion to the lounge and restaurant.

Travellers are raving about these Midland hotels

Wichita Falls, Texas
Reviewed 1 March 2013

With the oilfield booming in West Texas, you can't be picky in Midland choosing hotels. The Doubletree is downtown, easy to find with free valet parking. The hotel is currently being remodeled, but it appeared to be focused on the first floor. I was greeted at the door by the manager, very friendly with a warm welcome. I had three rooms reserved, but check-in was quick and I was allowed to check-in early. The rooms have been updated, a few things still show some wear, but overall everything was new and clean. We didn't eat at the hotel, so I can't comment about the restaurants on-site. Overall, nice hotel, the room price is to high, but that is what you get in the Midland area if you visit.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for the review of our facility. I appreciate you taking your time to post this. I am glad that our renovation did not inconvenience you very much. We are working hard to ensure our guests are well taken care of during our renovation work. Next time your in town, please stop by and enjoy a meal prepared by our Chef! He is wonderful.
Artesia, New Mexico
Reviewed 25 February 2013

My Girlfriend and I went to Midland on a getaway trip from our normal small town lives. We stayed at the Double Tree. The gentelman up front asked if I was interested in Complementary Valet Parking. He was very professional and polite. The young lady behind the front desk was very helpful also. The cookies we got as we checked in were warm and delicious. (We bought some to bring back home) The room was a large room with a comfortable king sized bed. Room service was excellent! I had ordered a bottle of Shiraz wine, but the bar had opened their last bottle already, the crew did what I thought was above and beyond, and offered me a wonderful bottle of Moscato at a discounted price! The pool and hot tub were outside and it was freezing cold, so we did not utilize those facilities. The underground parking garage was well lit and was convenient. We stayed on the 10th floor with an overview of the city. Absolutely Beautiful!! The Hotel was still under construction, so there is a mess in some places and the 11th floor was under construction as well. They are working on improving the place so I wouldnt complain about it. My only complaint is that I did not get to stay longer...

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kevin H
I am so glad you had a wonderful time! I hope you and your wife will sneak away and visit us again soon! We look forward to it!
Navasota, Texas
Reviewed 6 February 2013

The Double Tree Hotel in Midland is in a most convenient location in downtown Midland. Several good restaurants are within walking distance, and the hotel has restaurants and a bar of its own! The rooms are pleasant with comfortable, clean beds. Nice sheets, covers, and pillows felt almost like home! The shower tub was sparkling clean with a nice fresh two-layer cloth shower curtain, and the water did drain out fast! The room air conditioner worked well, and had quite a few settings. Great big, warm chocolate-chip/walnut cookies were available each day at the desk, and we loved them! Valet parking was a plus, as were the fast elevators in several locations. A large outdoor swimming pool on the second floor is hidden from the street level, and looks inviting. We will return to Midland soon, and do plan to stay at the Double Tree Hilton!

Room Tip: Our rooms were on the 7th floor -- very quiet with great views!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel! I am glad you had a nice time here and found everything to be to your satisfaction! We work hard to provide exceptional guest service to show you how much we value you! Thank you so much for this amazing review!
Tempe, Arizona
Reviewed 4 February 2013

Oil companies are gobbling up rooms like they're going out of style. Double tree of Midland is taking advantage and paying $300.00 plus for a night stay in a construction zone was not cool.
The crew on the night shift seemed unprofessional and not at par with what I expect from a Hilton/ Double tree employee. Walking past the makeshift meeting room / Lounge my wife and I didn't get that good ol Texas warm and fuzzy from the ( what we lovingly call here in Midland ) Oil Field trash hanging out after hours in the public area.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
helen_futrell, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Midland Plaza, responded to this review, 5 February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I'm sorry that we failed to provide that warm fuzzy you are accustomed to from us! We are almost finished with our renovation process, the public areas were the last to be started. I do understand that travel is difficult at best, and staying during a renovation is not a wow moment. I hope you will come back and see all the wonderful changes we have made for our guests. I am sure you will be impressed. To address rate, the oil boom drives the market here and we are in line with current market trends. We are neither the highest, nor are we the lowest. We are very proud of the updated guest rooms and restaurant, and the level of service that we provide here. I again apologize that you were inconvenienced during your last stay, and hope you will give us another chance to provide the warm fuzzy.