“Excellent Hotel”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Midland Plaza
Ranked #11 of 46 Hotels in Midland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 February 2014

The rooms are very quiet and very clean. You can get anything you need all at the hotel with all the amenities offered. Great place to stay on business trips so that you can go straight to your room to continue work and order room service. I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
helen_futrell, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Midland Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

I am so glad you enjoyed your time with us. Thank you for the review you posted of our hotel! I do hope you will return and allow us to care for you again in the very near future. Have an excellent day!

Reviewed 9 February 2014

I should rate between average and good. The rooms are nice size and very clean. It just seems like every time I stay here, the hotel is under construction or renovation. The food in the restaurants is average at best, room service is just OK. Parking can be a hassle; find the underground parking entry off the alley on side next to the main parking lot. I think the rooms are too expensive. The bar downstairs is cool but the service is not so good. There is another small bar on the second (or third?) floor at the north tower that has a nice large area that you can sit outside.

Room Tip: South tower faces the train tracks...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

You will be pleased to know that our renovation is over! I hope when you come back to see us that you will enjoy the modern updated look. We are so excited to share it with our guests. I am sorry for the slow service you experienced in the bar downstairs, it does get very busy in there at times. The Overlook is on the third floor of the North tower and does have the incredible outdoor patio area! We are looking forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 6 February 2014

Wow. What a hotel in need of a facelift. For some reason hotels in the Midland area are expensive, but for $224 a night I expect the wallpaper to be in place and the room to have been remodeled after 1980. Aside from the cosmetic defects, I was just never comfortable. I couldn't get the temperature right - it was either freezing cold or blazing hot. I was so cold in the middle of the night that I grabbed the quilt off the unused bed to shiver my way to sleep. The heating/cooling unit was right next to the computer desk and you couldn't direct the vents away from your eyes, so I had either hot or cold air blasting right into my face as I worked. Breakfast was served in a nice enough restaurant on the first floor, but I was looking for a saw so I could get the hard french toast into mouth-sized pieces. I'll be looking for an alternate place next time I come.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sue H
helen_futrell, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Midland Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2014

I would like to thank you for bringing these things to my attention. I will report your room issues to our Engineering department to take care of immediately. I would like to offer my apologies for the condition of your room. I would like to say that the rooms were just renovated within this past year, and are updated. I understand your frustration with the bathroom wallpaper and grabbar, it was not loose. The decorative screw cover is loose, we will take care of that immediately. Please feel free to call our Care line to have your room temperature adjusted. I hope you will reconsider us in the future. I would like to have an opportunity to make this right for you.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

Extremely happy in every stay at any Hilton hotel, service is excellent, food is excellent, everybody is friendly and you really feel as a valued customer. I highly recommend staying at any Hilton, you need to be there to notice the difference with other hotels. Thank you very much and keep up the excellent work.

1  Thank Rafael C

Thanks for your awesome review. I am so glad you enjoyed your time here with us, I really hope you will be back to see us soon. Please call the Care line if there is ever anything we can do to serve you while you are in Midland.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Listen, this is my 2nd review for TripAdvisor (and 3rd ever). I started my account after a trip to Midland. So, in the interest of being direct, let me get right to the point. This hotel was not bad. It was clean and the staff were not great, but not bad. But, the reason I am writing is one tiny little detail: if I pay a premium for anything, I expect great things. I, personally, have never spent this much on a hotel. At $250+ per night, I would expect a DoubleTree (Hilton property, I think) to be VERY nice. Not just "meh", but exceptional. This was NOT exceptional, nor was it worth $250+ per night! Insane price to pay for a decent hotel. Would I have written this review at all if I had paid $75\night... no. It's not bad at that price and it would have been exactly where I would have expected it to be, in terms of quality and service. Just be aware that you are not getting your $$ worth when you stay here.

Room Tip: Look, this is not a bad place, but is a terrible value at the price they charge. Keep your expectati...
1  Thank CJ G

Thank you for posting your review of our property. I agree with you that the rates in the Midland and Odessa area are higher than elsewhere in the nation, we are in a oil boom economy here. Our business like any other follows supply/ demand. I also happen to agree that with our rate, you should receive exceptional service. I believe that our staff provides it. With us, you have the option of dining in at our restaurant, room service and two lounges. With high end room amenities, we have more to offer than our competitors whose rates are comparable to ours without the "extras".

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I come to Midland at least once a month for business. I always stay at the Double Tree downtown because of the friendly and helpful staff. They always have a smile when we come in and very quick and efficient in assigning us rooms. They also made great suggestions for dinner and convenient shopping places. I was real happy they suggested that I join the Hilton Honors Club which placed me on a special assigned floor. I would strongly suggest to stay at this hotel as they have never disappointed me...and I am a hard one to please. HaHa...

1  Thank Stephen R

I wanted to thank you for your review of our hotel! We love to see that we have made our guests happy. Especially our "regulars". I am glad you are taking advantage of the Hilton Honors program, and working towards your free stays! We look forward to seeing you again soon. :)

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I have had a very good history with Doubletree properties. This stay was not up to the standard that I have experienced with this chain. Improvements needed: Walls are not insulated and very noisy, shower did not drain, poor parking, poor location next to train tracks, clock in room did not work.

1  Thank Michael P

Thank you for taking your time to post a review of our property. I know our downtown location makes parking difficult, as well as puts us in close proximity to the train tracks. Please take advantage of our complimentary valet parking and ask for North tower if the train noise bothers you. I do hope you will return and give us another opportunity to serve you.