“Near death experience by spearing”
Review of Super 8 Midland

Super 8 Midland
Ranked #34 of 45 Hotels in Midland
Parker, Colorado
“Near death experience by spearing”
Reviewed 22 March 2011

First of all, there was a conference in Midland so nearly every quality hotel was sold out. We checked in, went to our stuffy room and could feel the coils in the mattress, I am not sure if the sheets had been washed. My fiance sat in a wooden chair, the leg broke off resulting in a 3 inch in diameter, 1.5 foot spear. He twisted his knee as he was dumped from the chair. The manager, over the phone, acted irritated to be bothered. The manager refused to talk to my fiance and said "do whatever you have to do".

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank oilman69

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 5 August 2010

The shower was incredible. Instead of the typical square layout this fiberglass unit had an extended rounded section with a grab bar that allowed you to stand out of the water. The large head could be pointed down toward the front of pointed at the back. This was great for the times when the water temp was adjusting. The water was controlled by a Delta faucet that allowed you to choose the temperature separately from the water volume. It was by far the best designed shower compact or otherwise I've ever seen. I want one if I ever build a new home for myself.

If you are staying there while making working class money as most of the people there seemed to be you'll appreciated the small fridge and a microwave that would allow for in room eating on the cheap. We didn't try the wireless connection but were disappointed that the computer downstairs was not on the web, They said someone had stolen a part and no one could tell us if there was a plan to get it fixed. I know there's a Best Buy in Midland so I don't know why they didn't fix it right away. The ice dispenser allowed for small coolers to be filled up with only a medium amount of hassle. It wasn't impossible.

The muffin and raisin bran breakfast was light but much better than nothing and they put it out at quarter to 6 which allowed us to get on the job before the brutal sun rose. The pool was somehow broken as well but the A/C was good and cool and the curtains blocked the light well. The inside hallway layout made for more walking but also more security and temperature comfort.

The room was clean and apparently the price was good for my employer. But we had to leave a note for housekeeping to get them to replace the cups and coffee we used. The hotel is not within walking distance of a grocery but Denny's and DQ are close by.

This is a good working person's hotel. If you have to be in Midland to earn your living during the week it is a good place to stay. There are other value motels closer to more restaurants and the Walmart which might be better for a long stay but this isn't bad especially if you have transportation.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank FairObserver
Madera
Reviewed 5 April 2010

This was a crazy experience! I am on a road trip with my friend and his son. We are traveling from California to East Texas. We had booked a room at the Super 8, through Hotwire, last week. We were looking for a cheap place to stay and get some rest before completing our trip. As we drove up to the motel we were pleasently surprised by the exterior. For a cheap room it looked inviting. Once we walked into the lobby our optimism began to fade. The AC was not on in the lobby area and it was 90 degrees outside. The lobby was a "cool" 85 degrees, smelled like smoke and the pool was closed and covered with a beat up dirty pool cover. As we were checking in the assistant manager could not make out a note on our reservation. We talked it through and verified that we would have two beds in our room. The assistant manager said "yes" we had two beds but was not sure if the AC had been turned on prior to our arrival. We decided to check the room before grabbing our bags. Good news was the AC in the room worked great but the bad news was there was only one king sized bed. For a moment I felt like Steve Martin in Planes, Trains and Automobiles. With the phrase "Where's your other hand?" ringing in my brain we went down stairs to get our room changed. We were informed that it was not Super 8's problem and that we would have to contact Hotwire, cancel our reservation and make a new reservation. Our other option was to pay for a second room and wait for Hotwire to pay us back. At no point did the assistant manager offer to take care of the mix up or offer to call Hotwire for us. So my friend gets on his phone to try and contact Hotwire and I ask the assistant manager if they were full. They were not full, so I asked if the Super 8 would save us jumping through hoops and just open a vacant room's door. I was told the manager said "no" and when I asked to speak to the manager I was told she was not on location but available over the phone. While I was talking through our situation, my buddy reached Hotwire. With in seconds Hotwire was on the phone with Super 8 and trying to correct the mix up. I listened as the assistant manager told Hotwire that it was not Super 8's problem and that Hotwire would have to cancel our reservation and submit a new reservation. Again the assistant manager did not offer to work through the problem with Hotwire even though she had them on the phone. Instead she hung-up the phone. So now my friend is back on the phone with Hotwire and I am back pleading with Super 8 to just open another door to a room that we had already paid for. The manager called and after a few moments with her assistant I was put on the phone. In defense of the assistant manager she was only repeating what her boss said. There was no give at all. I asked if they could just put us in a vacant room and was asked "who would pay for the differnce in cost". It was all our fault for using Hotwire and ending up in their lobby. Just as I was about to flip, my buddy says not to worry. Hotwire was cancelling our reservation at Super 8 per the instructions and upgraded our hotel at no cost to us. Basically Super 8 told us to cancel our reservation and Hotwire was happy to set us up with a much better hotel right down the street! I can tell you based on customer service alone I will never book a room with Super 8 Midland ever again but I will book a room with Hotwire anytime. Thank you Hotwire for making a mess into a wonderful experience!!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank JonBronk

Travellers are raving about these Midland hotels

Texas
Reviewed 17 February 2009

We chose this hotel from a coupon book after arriving late in Midland on a drive through. Other hotels in the area were quoting over $100, we ended up paying $68 (with tax). This hotel is in a decent neighborhood, the parking is semi-secure and cramped. The check in was quick, the clerk was friendly. The room was spacious however the furniture needed repair and the cleaning of the room was questionable. The shower floor felt like it would give way at any moment. We only had one thin towel and were given more thin towels upon request. The pillows were completely flat. The internet service was ok but tended to the slow side. The breakfast was marginal - all plastic wrapped food items. I would stay here again in a pinch but would not recommend to someone who is making an advanced reservation.

• Liked — Friendly
  • Disliked — Over priced, awful breakfast
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Midland, Texas
Reviewed 6 June 2008

I travel on business and everything in Midland was booked as usual. However, there was one motel that was not booked. I mistakenly chose to stay at the Super 8 instead of sleeping in my car. The room stunk, the carpet was filthy and there were no towels in my room. When I went to the clerk to get a towel, she told me that towels were supposed to be in my room and that I needed to look again. Yes, she was right towels are supposed to be in your room but I appreciated the fact that she thought I was incapable of spotting them in my massive quarters at the Super 8. The A/C never cooled the room down and sleeping was difficult with that that hideous stench of an odor and unbearable heat. The next morning when I woke up from what I thought was a nightmare, I had bite marks all over my chest from whatever was in those stained sheets that I received. The best part of my stay was the door to my room that let me out the next day. I was supposed to stay for the week but I checked out that next day and drove several miles away to what seemed like the Belagio hotel in a nearby town. It was a pleasure not to have the mixtured aroma of cigarettes and urine. Clean rooms are never to be taken for granted.

Stayed May 2008