“Small rooms, inadequate gym. Clean & nice staff.”
Review of Courtyard Midland

Courtyard Midland
Ranked #27 of 46 Hotels in Midland
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Newish hotel. Guest laundry is free. The rooms are too small to be comfortable and the drains in the bathroom were backed up (despite being a new hotel?). The biggest downer was the guest gym which is incredibly small/cramped and does not offer any kind of free weight option. As another guest said if you're looking for a hotel bar with comfortable atmosphere this hotel has it but the rooms and workout facility are inadequate.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that faces west as the east side faces a Sam's Club that is under construction...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Alan S, General Manager at Courtyard Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Good Afternoon Jeffrey K,

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a guest survey. I apologize for the small guest rooms and limited gym. Could you please contact me so I may address the clogged drain issue? My number is 432-689-9400. Thank you, Alan.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

My experience at this hotel was terrible. Let me repeat...TERRIBLE. Don't get me wrong, the amenities are nice enough. The rooms were clean and the beds were fairly comfy. It is the customer service at this establishment that leaves much to be desired! Let me share with you the events upon my arrival...

When we first walk in the door and look around, there is nobody to be found. Nobody. (Customer service/Greeting= FAIL #1). We are left standing around for about 5-7mins staring at the walls wondering if anyone really works here. The bartender notices us and does say a friendly hello, apologizes for not being able to assist us and yells for the check-in gal to come help. We are left standing around for several more minutes and in strolls Lexar (at least I think that is her name... She never introduced herself and her name tag was covered, it was just the name that the bartender called for) First words out of her mouth, "What is you last name?" No hello, welcome, how can I help you or even eye contact... (Customer service= FAIL #2) I proceed to give her the information requested, my ID & credit card and explained that I booked 1 reservation for the evening for 2 rooms under 2 different last names with the credit card I handed her through Priceline.com and gave her the confirmation information they provided to me. She informed me that no such reservation existed and that I had the wrong confirmation information/PDF and that the booking number I had from Priceline.com was invalid. (Arguing with the customer= FAIL #3). I asked if there was a manager on duty, or a more experienced Guest Service Rep that could assist me with my reservation she stated no that she was the only person on the property at 3:30 in the afternoon on a Friday. I assume she thought I was unable to read the "Manager on duty" sign listing a Mr. Alan Solovay (Lying to customer, acting entitled and like guests are beneath you= FAIL # 4) She proceeded to inform me that she would just do a different reservation for me, then I, the customer, could call Priceline.com and cancel my reservation and try to sort it out so I am not double charged for my stay, all while failing to note the 24 hr. cancellation policy that Priceline.com has. (Just wrong on so many levels I don't know where to start= FAIL # 5) At this point another uniformed employee is standing by looking shocked and alarmed at how this is going down and recommends that Lexar call another employee "Kelli" who had trouble looking up a Priceline.com reservation on a previous day and seeing how she was able to find it. Lexar rolled her eyes and got on the phone and discussed with this employee how I must not have done the reservation right on my part because everything I had in front of me in black and white was wrong and I should just let them do a different reservation and I, the customer, can spend more time trying to sort it out with Priceline.com to make their job easier... (Just FAIL # 6) Meanwhile, I call Priceline.com. Within 2 minutes of my call, giving them the same confirmation number, my reservation is pulled up and I am placed on hold so the Priceline.com Rep can call the hotel and straighten out the issue. Lexar answers the phone and speaks with the Priceline.com rep and is immediately able to find my reservation. The Priceline.com Rep then came back on the phone with me and thanked me for my business and asked if there is anything else she could assist me with. (Yay! I will definitely be using Priceline.com in the future!) Lexar proceeded to tell me that I didn't give her the correct information or else she would have been able to pull it up and handed me 4 room cards and said "The elevators are over there." Not giving me any kind of orientation to where "over there" is, any kind of information about the hotels accommodations or even what floors my rooms are on. (FAIL #7)

The next morning, we inquired about the advertised complimentary breakfast buffet as well as cooked-to-order items to which we were informed was no longer offered. (False advertisement= FAIL # 8)

I chose to stay at this establishment based on the accommodations and reputation of the parent company, Marriott. I have been extremely disappointed with my experience with this establishment. I would have received better service at the Motel 6. In the future, I will definitely chose to stay with Hilton or DoubleTree when I travel where I know I will receive the accommodations and amenities that are advertised and where the reputation speaks for itself.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Shuttergirl80
Alan S, General Manager at Courtyard Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Good Afternoon Shuttergirl-

I was very disappointed to read the comments concerning your stay at the Courtyard Midland. I would like to discuss the experience with you, can you contact Alan at 432-689-9400 to discuss? Thank you, Alan.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I was able to check into the hotel early so i am grateful for that. The man at the front desk was the nicest man ever. However thats where the good stopped. The room itself is nice and clean but paper thin walls. You can hear everything in the hall. I came back to the hotel Friday evening and called downstairs for an extra blanket.....there were TWO front desk agents( I know this bc I had JUST purchased a water from the market on my way up to my room).....well i asked for an extra blanket and the front desk lady says "i will have it at the front desk for you" Im thinking dang, okay I'm in a cast but my ankle is fractured, I'm on the 3rd floor, and you have 2 people at the front and noone can bring me a blanket. I didn't say anything though and my boyfriend went downstairs to get it, They then gave me a sheet and not a blanket. I was tired so i just went to bed instead of calling them again. I was excepting to go down in the morning to the bistro to order breakfast only to find out guess what......they don't even use the bistro......WHAT!!!! Its there but they don't use it. Last night I did not even see it open. The lady at the front desk said it would be open tonight but I have never been to a courtyard that the bistro was there but not being used. The breakfast was not good. They have it set up in a banquet room.....toast and waffles( no butter available) eggs (no hot sauce of any kind available) sausage, bacon, bread, bagels, yogurt, cereal. Only orange juice available. Overall a terrible selection, I stayed here to be able to order breakfast from the bistro not have a horrible free breakfast that you would get at a fairfield inn.....oh wait i take that back...i stayed at the fairfield in midland and even they had so many more selections at breakfast available. The price is good but i will not return to this hotel after today. Only reason i gave it 2 stars was because of the gentleman that was working when i checked in at 11am was awesome. If it was not for him i would have only given this place 1 star. Ladies that work in the evenings definitely need to work on being more polite and more accommodating. I worked at a marriott when i was younger for over 6 years as a front desk agent and never once, especially when we had TWO agents there, never told someone "oh ill have it at the desk" Thats just lazy!!!!! NOT HAPPY!!! I do hope that management works on getting this hotel comparable to other courtyards.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank stepgonz
Alan S, General Manager at Courtyard Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Good Afternoon Stepgonz-

I was disappointed to see your comments concerning your stay at Courtyard Midland Odessa. I apologize for the noise issues, our inability to deliver a blanket and the Bistro being closed. I would like to provide some compensation for your disappointing stay. Please contact Alan at 432-689-9400. Thank you.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I recently traveled to Midland, TX on business and stayed at this hotel for one night. Check-in was quick and efficient (although, the hotel did not seem busy at all). The rooms were clean and comfortable. I will say that I did find that the walls are thin as I am a pretty sound sleeper and was awoken by people walking in the hall late at night. Breakfast is included. They offer a variety of waffles, eggs, bacon, sausage, yogurt, cereal, coffee etc.. The breakfast is all self serve. If I were traveling to Midland on business I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Alan S, General Manager at Courtyard Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Good Morning Jetsetsun-

Thank you for posting comments concerning your stay at the Courtyard Midland. I was disappointed to see that you experienced a noise issue during your stay. I certainly apologize for the inconvenience. The hotel will undergo a room’s renovation in late 2014 and will improve the sound proofing in the guestrooms.

Alan S.
Courtyard Midland Odessa

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I recently needed to cancel a reservation at the Courtyard Midland Odessa. When I called to inquire about the cancellation policy I was told, before 4pm that day. I ended up needing to cancel and called before the designated time. I gave them my confirmation number and they gave me a cancellation number. I thought everything was taken care of. Well, my credit card was charged for the full amount. When I called to inquire the hotel receptionist told me that I had reserved a "non-refundable" room and they would not be issuing a refund. I was not aware when I booked this on www.marriott.com that this room was non-refundable or I would not have booked it. I also was not informed by the staff when I called to cancel that this room could not be canceled. I think that would have been a valuable piece of information! I am Extremely disappointed as our company and its associates have stayed here many times before. We will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank JamieK83
Alan S, General Manager at Courtyard Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Good Afternoon Jamie- I am currently trying to resolve your billing issue. Can you please contact me at 432-689-9400 so I may attain further information to invetigate your claim?

Alan Solovay
Courtyard by Marriott Midland
432-689-9400

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Checked in my room and noticed a noise coming from somewhere. I called down to the front desk and thought it could be the ice maker. I also noticed a large un even gap under the door to the hall which I had to put a towel to keep the hall noise down. I asked if I could change rooms and there was no way since the hotel was full. As a Platinum Marriott rewards guest who obviously stays at many Marriott properties I was not very pleased especially when paying over $200 per night. I thought they could have appolgized for the inconvience and offered to move me the 2nd night if possible, but that wasn't happening. I guess I'll need to look for an alternative place next time I visit Midland.

Room Tip: don't stay next to the ice machine
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank KleenKarCO
Alan S, General Manager at Courtyard Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Good Afternoon-

i was dissappointed to see your response concerning your stay here at the Courtyard Midland. Can you provide the room number and the date that you stayed so I may provide feedback to my associates that worked those days. In addition, I would like to provide some compensation for the negative stay.

Alan S.
GM
281-303-6938

Reviewed 28 April 2014

This Marriott is relatively new. The room was fine, mostly clean and relatively quiet. The problem was that there is currently limited food service. The regular food service area has been closed since January. I was there in April. A makeshift bar and breakfast area was set up. I was told they were having trouble staffing it. Food was limited, at best. There was no "dinner" food, and the "to go" area had very little, so I went out for dinner. The bar glasses for happy hour were extremely dirty. The breakfast food was barely passable.There were little boxes of sugar cereal or a crock pot with oatmeal for breakfast. Paper coffee cups didn't stay together but fell apart twice for different guests I saw carrying it through the lobby. They need to get this up and running.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Alan S, General Manager at Courtyard Midland, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Good Morning Karen-

Thank you for providing us with feedback during your recent stay. My apologies to you for our lack of food and beverage offerings here at the hotel. I too am frustrated about our inability to open our new Bistro restaurant. I was disappointed to see that our continental breakfast did not meet your needs.

On another note, I tested our disposable coffee cups by placing 200 degree water in a cup for 35 minutes and the cup was fine.

I would like to provide you with some compensation for your disappointing stay. Can you email me at your convenience your contact information to alan.m.solovay@marriott.com? Thank you, Alan.