“MOLD!”

Ranked #25 of 45 Hotels in Midland
Yuma, Arizona
“MOLD!”
Reviewed 30 July 2010

My family and I were traveling across the country due to a PCS move with the military. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. We checked into 2 rooms that were adjoining on the first floor. The problem was that the rooms had a terrible stinch......we later discovered mold all over the ceiling by the windows in BOTH rooms. After contacting the front desk they moved us to new rooms on the other side of the building that were nothing special but at least there was no mold! My frustration is that there had obviously been some kind of water problem and it had to have been there based on the amount of mold present. SO if you stay here and are on the first floor.....make sure you look up and if the room smells funny.....request a new room!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Austin, TX
Reviewed 19 July 2010

We have family in Midland but we typically stay in a hotel while we're in town. We had stayed at the Hilton many times because it was a name we trusted. That particular Hilton is pretty old and out dated though, so we opted to try something new. We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in Midland for two nights, a Saturday + Sunday.

Upon arriving, we were quickly checked in by a very nice young woman. The lobby was very nice. Clean, cozy, and modern. There is a lounge area that looked great, but they're closed on Weekends. We booked the larger guest room that has a balcony.

Our room was located on the 4th floor. The room itself was surprisingly large. The bathroom was just to the right of the entry. It had a walk-in shower (no tub) and spacious counter top. In the main room, there was a pullout sofa bed with coffee tables against one wall, and a large desk against the other.  There was also a minifridge and microwave in that area. The sleeping area was at the end of the room. In there was a small closet, flat panel tv, the bed, and balcony door. The "view" wasnt anything special at all (a Sams Club parking lot), but it was nice to have the option to get some fresh air.

The bed looked very comfy, but my back hurt after 1 night sleeping on it. The blankets were also too light, in my opinion...and when we requested extra blankets we were given 2 additional flat sheets, which didn't help much to be honest, but we didn't complain. The pillows were very small and while comfy for a little while, became flat soon after and didn't respond well to fluffing. So, the bed itself was a flop. The room itself though, was much more than we expected (for Midland).

A few negatives things about the room are 1) there is no video on demand or HBO type premium channels and 2) I never found a "do mot disturb" sign, so housekeeping woke us up both days when we were trying to sleep in, and finally 3) there was about a 1 inch gap between the bottom of the door and the floor. We could hear everything in the hallway and were concerned we were being too loud and disturbing the other guests, even though we aren't loud people by any means. The gap also let in a lot of light from the hallway at night so I covered the gap with bath towels. I checked out the doors of other rooms and they were the same way.

Overall, our stay was a great one and we will probably stay there again.

• Stayed July 2010
Austin, TX
Reviewed 1 July 2010

I'm a loyal Marriott person so I have to say that overall I was impressed with this hotel. It will now be my go to place in Midland.

The reception person was very friendly at check in and I found the lobby area to be very inviting and well decorated.

I booked the King suite, which got me the 2 room suite. If you are in need of a lot of room or traveling with kids, this is probably the room for you. It has a King bedroom and a foldout couch. Also, there's two televisions so it's great for everyone to spread out and lounge.

I did have two issues during my stay. One of the AC units didn't work, but it was promptly fixed. Also in the morning I ran out of hot water, along with a few others.

I had the breakfast buffet at the hotel in the morning and found the choices to be ample and well prepared. As I mentioned before, I've found the place I will stay during all of my visits to this area.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Tampa
Reviewed 27 January 2010

I am sitting in a room at the Courtyard Midland as I write...I was in the lounge with friends up until 15 minutes ago. We waited 2 hours for food and I had to send mine back because, even though famished, it was the first time in my life I can say the meal was absolutely inedible. Four of us who have stayed in this hotel for a while agreed that it had returned to the standards it had when it first opened...which were not good. When we asked about our food's delay...we were told that if we wanted it fresh --this was how long it took. They actually argued with us about the time we ordered. And the "chef" who came out to get the plate challenged me on what was wrong with it...unprofessional. I'll admit I'm angry now. I'm a business traveler. I don't ask for much...but polite staff and decent food --it is a base expectation. Shame on Marriot for letting this happen

Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank LMRCTampa

Travellers are raving about these Midland hotels

AbuDhabi
Reviewed 13 November 2009

I returned to Midland for the first time in several years and was pleasantly surprised by this Courtyard. I received a friendly welcome from Reception and a clean and modern room. Although without many of the added frills found in hotels in larger markets, the room was appointed well enough. Noise from the hallway, however, did spill over into the room. (It's a good thing they roll up the sidewalks at 5:00 or I might have been in for a night of interrupted sleep.) The breakfast bar was OK, stocked with the typical West Texas food.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Southern U.S.
Reviewed 31 August 2009

Hotel is new and very comfortable. ... with all the amenities you would expect from Courtyard. Rooms have a stall shower rather than bathtub which is nice.

Two issues to note:
1.On-Star Navigation system does not locate the hotel property. .and when I asked, front desk person said it happens on all the systems. Computer tells you are at the location when there are grassy fields on both sides of the road and no commercial establishments. I saw several buildings about a mile away and proceeded. Hotel was there. Something to do with no "s" on the hotel address Tradewind Drive and at the hotel, city added an "s" to Tradewinds street sign, which thoroughly confuses navigation systems.
2.Rooms are a new design and you cannot watch tv from the sofa. The only place to watch the tv is from the bed. Flat screen tv is on the same side as the sofa with a archway in between blocking any possible view of the set from the sitting area.

Otherwise a very comfortable stay.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
texas
Reviewed 15 June 2009

I have ocd a cleaning disorder, so everything around me has to be very very clean, so i can be comforable. This place was clean, the beds where comforable, and the stuff where understanding.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family