“Clean Hotel, Location not the best”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Midland
Ranked #10 of 46 Hotels in Midland
Reviewed 27 July 2010

We traveled to Midland for one night. My husband does a lot of business there. The hotel was newer and clean. The staff was for the most part courteous. My daughters were sleeping on the sofa couch, but only one pillow was provided and no blanket. I called down and asked for an extra blanket and pillow. Twenty minutes later they called back and told me to check the closet...I explained that all I found was one pillow. The caller was not friendly, just hung up. Ten minutes later a very friendly guy showed up with what we requested. By the way, I ordered a pizza from Dominoes and got it faster than the pillow and blanket. There was no information about the hotel or the town in the room. The TV did not have any kind of guide nor did it have the option to rent a movie. The complimentary breakfast was decent. The location of the hotel was not great. The hotel next to it, is a little scary. My husband was approached it the parking lot by some thugs asking him to but a theatre system. Overall, a clean place to stay, but not some place you would want to leave your room.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank Berstory

Reviewed 27 July 2010

We had a good experience here. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The breakfast is very good, and the staff was friendly and accomodating. For the price, I don't think you will find better in the Midland/Odessa area. One suggestion for the hotel - the down comforters are too warm for west Texas in the summer. Need lighter blankets on the beds.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank p_m01
Reviewed 15 June 2010

The staff was more friendly and accomodating than in any hotel we have EVER stayed at.
It is new and clean, and the breakfast is good. The price cannot be beaten in Midland, unless you stay at one of the older rundown hotels in the bad part of town (I-20 Business). They also serve fresh-baked cookies in the lobby ALL day. We were very impressed with the accomodations and the service and would most definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Speedreader
Reviewed 12 June 2010

The staff here was great, very helpful. The hotel appeared clean. However, I found a roach in my room the first day of my stay. By that evening, my room had been visited by the exterminator and I did not see any more bugs the rest of the week. Still, that's a pretty strong ick factor! I'd be inclined to try another hotel if I were going back to Midland.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 May 2010

We stayed here, based on Tripadvisor reviews, as the first and last leg of our trip to Big Bend, flying from Houston. The hotel is 9 miles out of town. We waited 15 minutes in line to check in the first night but breezed right in on the return trip. The first room was nice enough. After we got settled in they called to offer us a free upgrade - but it was an empty gesture as we had already gotten settled in. So we asked them to give it to us on our return trip a few days later. To their credit, they remembered when we checked back in. However, the upgrade room was a problem. The a/c blew loudly and directly on our faces in bed. Just down the hall they had rented rooms to workers, and there were so many in each room that the guys were basically hanging out in the hallway. I felt for the guys but we could hear them through our door. The first night there was no channel guide for the tv and the last night it was wrong. As for the breakfast, yes, everything is there, eggs, bacon, sausage, do-it-yourself waffles, yogurt, cereal, juice, fruit, and pastries. But it just wasn't very good, not for $150 a night.

I will not stay there again.

PS there really isn't anything besides fast food in Midland. I've since heard that you can get something good to eat in Odessa, just down the road (speed limit 80, so it takes no time at all).

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aujourdhui2
Reviewed 3 April 2010

I decided to stay at the Country Inn & Suites after reading the positive reviews on TripAdvisor and because it was significantly less expensive than the Hampton Inn.

The staff was very friendly, the beds were soft, there was fast, free wifi, and the breakfast had waffles shaped like Texas!

I also liked that it had a nice staircase in the lobby. At most hotels you have to search for the staircase, which is at the end of the hotel, or wait forever for a very slow elevator.

Would recommend this hotel to anybody stopping through Midland.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank whirlwind99
Reviewed 25 March 2010

The rooms were very clean, the staff was extremly helpful and friendly!!, beds were comfy, I would stay here again and recommend it to anyone in the area that needs a hotel!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family