“Nice hotel;eager to provide good service”

Hampton Inn Midland
Ranked #6 of 46 Hotels in Midland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 21 March 2014

The hotel is newly remodeled and near a LOT of restaurants and stores. Free access to nearly next door Heroes Gym as a guest, including the group fitness classes. My only problem was 'sick room' syndrome whereby room 208 had some sort of contaminant that caused severe headaches and congestion if I was in the room for more than one hour but symptoms resolved after I was gone for over 4 hours. I moved rooms and floors and issue totally resolved. Really nice people and great service!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 19 March 2014

This hotel was excellent. We would love to stay there again. The weekend rates were better than weekday rates but unfortunately, we were there during the week. The rooms were very comfortable and the breakfast was very nice. All staff were very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I've lost count of the number of Hampton Inn's I've stayed in over the years. This one is memorable for all of the bad reasons. Granted they were in the middle of renovating the lobby when I stayed here, but that doesn't excuse the issues.

Lobby

The lobby was essentially a construction zone and the front desk/eating area was set up in what I think was a conference room. Friendly staff, but a less than efficient check in since they only had one computer. Also there is only one elevator, so it can get cramped or wait your turn.

Rooms

Rooms are very comfortable and good size. It's the typical new Hampton design, so nothing out of the ordinary. My only gripe is that the AC unit is sleep disturbingly loud.

The food was abysmal - pure and simple. The hot oatmeal was cold one morning. The eggs barely resembled eggs. I'd say go somewhere else, but unfortunately Midland doesn't have too many options around there for breakfast. If you can find a not-too-smushy banana, eat that and get an early lunch. The managers reception had mediocre chicken wings and a case of Bud Light, wine, and soft drinks available.

I won't hold it against them too much, I mean every hotel in Midland is over priced because of the oil boom. But we paid about $260 a night here and it was worth maybe what a Motel 6 is worth.

Overview

I hope to not stay here again. If you want to stay Hilton, there is a Hilton Garden Inn that's newer and not under construction. Interestingly, they failed to call me for my wake up call. That was a first for me in any hotel I've stayed in.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank TXBizTraveler
Reviewed 5 March 2014

My wife, my 5 year-old, my 2-year old, and I stayed here during a cross-country drive. The suite with the king bed was large enough for all of us. My 5-year old slept in the pull-out, and there was a large area where we set up our playpen. With a full-sized fridge and a microwave, the room had everything we needed to keep milk cold and to heat up snacks for the kids. My only complaint about the room is that the hotel doesn't have a crib/playpen. Fortunately, we had packed one, but I've never stayed at a Hampton Inn that didn't have one, and thus we had packed our playpen in such a way that it was challenging to dig out of the minivan. Breakfast was a plus, offering waffles that my 5 year-old loved, while offering healthier options, such as oatmeal with lots of fixings and yogurts for my wife and I. The lady in the breakfast room was very nice and helpful

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 March 2014

The wife and I stayed at the Midland Hampton Inn when we went to Midland to visit our grandson. The motel aided in our having a great weekend. Room was comfortable, breakfast was good, service was good and items were frequently refilled with hot items. No complaints at all.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 February 2014

This hotel is mid-range average and is way too expensive for what you get. It is an older hotel and could use room upgrades. Air conditioner is loud, water pressure is weak, but the coffee was good. Never could get logged onto the internet and others in my group had the same issue.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Shannon F
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Overall, this was just a typical hotel experience. There was nothing in particular that made this feel like anything above and beyond. The pricing for the this hotel is outrageous, but I heard that is typical of the area for some reason. It is not easy to control the room temperature since there is no thermostat, rather just a dial with red/blue on the actual wall mounted HVAC unit under the window. Also worth noting, nothing bad occurred either.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business