“Fun for a slow Sunday”

Museum of the Southwest
Ranked #7 of 26 things to do in Midland
Reviewed 9 August 2017

Sundays are free at the Planetarium, Children's Museum and Museum of the Southwest thanks to one of the local energy companies. They are all right there together and are open from 2-5 pm. It is a small Planetarium, but the one room of displays and information was fun and interesting. The theater was not open the day that we went. The Children's area was bright and fun. Also small, but packed with things for little people to do. The Turner House / Museum was full of wonderful and interesting artwork. It was quiet and had a good flow.

1  Thank Marla B
"tx"
"astronomy"
"admission"

Reviewed 16 July 2017

Visited this museum during the holiday season. It is based on a private home in "old Midland". The displays are beautifully arranged with traveling exhibits throughout the year but is especially nice during Christmas.

1  Thank TXtraveler897
Reviewed 18 June 2017

This museum is so close to the Bush Childhood home, it was a shame not to go. For a very small fee you can tour the Turner family home, (except for the upstairs rooms) which is on the National Register of Historic Places, see the art gallery they added on, plus view the children's art and the planetarium. It really will have something of interest for everyone.
We esp.liked the show in the Planetarium. The new seats are comfy, Complete with a headrest that you absolutely need! You look up the entire 30 min show, into the domed roof above and in front of you. Very cool!
I liked the family photos from the Turner family, and the race trophies from the girls, once they were grown and got into horse racing. I loved the Norman Rockwell painting, and a new art form, to me at least, a landscape on a thin strip of art board.
Well worth an hour or two.

1  Thank CBGeorgia
Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

We have been coming to this children's museum for 10 years and I am sad to see how much it has deteriorated. Not even basic maintenance is done- today when we were here, I had to point out to the staff that numerous light bulbs were burned out, making the child play areas dark and unsafe. I mean, how hard is it to change a light bulb?? In my opinion the upstairs needs to be re-done too. I know they rely on donors so I hope they do a campaign soon to update the place.

1  Thank Emilyanne38
See more reviews
Reviewed 30 April 2017

This museum is partly housed in a new building and partly housed in the Turner Mansion. I was disappointed we could not go upstairs in the mansion because it is used for offices. That’s one of the reasons I wanted to visit. But the museum is reasonably priced and the day we went they had a James Gill American Pop exhibit that was wonderful. There is a children’s museum on site, but we didn’t visit that. The Kentucky Derby room is interesting (with stories of the two Derby winner horses owned by the family) and another room has displays and photos about the Turner family. The mansion is beautiful and again I’m disappointed visitors aren’t allowed upstairs. It took us about 45 minutes to go through.