“good eating”

Scotty's Soul Food and Barbeque
Ranked #39 of 303 Restaurants in Midland
Reviewed 24 May 2014

if you like soul food, this is the place to eat...everything was tasty, hot and on time(one exception, the lemon cake wasn't lemony and was a simple made box cake mix)...meatloaf, greens, cabbage,cornbread(delicious) large portions and served in a takeout box so if you have leftovers, just snap the lid shut and there you have it...waitress very nice and polite...one other thing pertaining to the cake i sent back, scotty the owner, had checker to return money rather than seeing if i would like to try some other dessert (this was too funny to me) although it was a little "in your face" kind of thing to do...

3  Thank Lillie A

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Scotty's is a little hole in the wall restaurant, doesn't look like much from the outside nod the inside isn't all that spectacular either, but the food is scrumptious! I tend to order safe bets the first time I visit an eateries so I ordered the chicken fried steak. The next visit I chose catfish, fried. By the third visit I was confident enough to try the neck bones. They were so good, I went back for dinner and ordered it to go! The pork chops are succulent and juicy, and you must try the greens and black eyed peas, you will love them. The portions are generous, the prices good. The only thing I don't like is that everything is served in styrofoam, even if you eat in. I guess it's because you will have food left to take home lol. I recommend Scotty's for home cooked soul food, and typing this review made me hungry!

2  Thank candigirl
Reviewed 20 February 2014

On a day like thgis in West Texas when the wind is blowing 40 miles an hour and the dust is in the air, Midlanders go for comfort food. Normally that would be Tex-mex but today it was Scotty's. It is a lunch cafe that offers a wide variety of what you would call southern or soul food. It is good food. Fried whole catfish, meatloaf, oxtail, neck bones, smothered pork chops and chicken fried steak are some of the items on the menu. Sides include collard greens, yams, mac & cheese, black eyed peas and others. I had the pork chops, one fried and one smothered, collard greens and black eyes. The quantities were large enough to more than satisfy my big apetite. The pork chops were tender enough to be cut witht he plastic flatware. The green and peas were not overdone and were well flavored with: what else but bacon? The cornbread was sweet and moist and they promised they would have molasses for me next time. I did not get to try dessert. The food is all prepared fresh and they will serve unitll they run out for the day, or 6 p.m. whichever comes first. Open every day except Monday. If they are going to serve on disposeable dishes I would prefer a chinette or plastic plate rather than the take home styrofoam trays. The meal, drink and tax will come to about $15, but it compares favorably to places like Cotton Patch cafe and you can't beat the authenticity.

2  Thank mblair441