“Good standard hotel”

Ranked #30 of 45 Hotels in Midland
Houston
“Good standard hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

This hotel has recently been renovated and is up to par with any basic Holiday Inn type hotel. The breakfast buffet is significantly better than any "free" hotel breakfast, serving omelettes, half-grapefruits and a variety of other fresh fruit, as well as the standard bacon, eggs, sausage, waffles, etc. but charges $10 for it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Julia B, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Garden Midland, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time from your busy schedule to write us this awesome review. We appreciate your kind words and hope that we have a future occasion to be of service.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Midland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

Slight construction still going on but most work done. It was great to see the upgrades. The Issue I had was they front desk turned my key off early before I checked out. Causing me to have to walk around to the front to get all my items loaded. Please make the policy not before noon to turn of the key

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

Julia B, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Garden Midland, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are glad that you took notice of the upgrades we are making. We are striving every day to improve the look and comfort of our hotel.
We apologize about the guest key not opening your door the day you were due to leave. Our check out time is at 11am, that is why the keymaker is automatically set to expire the keys at that time. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

First room I was given had toilet paper and unidentified other material in the toilet . I flushed the toilet and it backed up. I went back to the front desk was given another room. Second room had very weak water pressure in shower and very lukewarm temperature in shower at 530am in the morning.

The building is old and I think they still have the original plumbing. Air conditioner unit in my room seemed filthy, made loud rattling noises and was basically not usable. Walls are thin and doors slam loudly.

Staff are friendly, most seem hardworking, but training seems minimal or maybe non existent. The staff are left to figure things out for themselves. Most do. But the lack of training in standard processes is very evident. Front desk staff also seemed overworked and stressed. There was one hardworking but untrained waitress working a busy breakfast shift and their process seemed to require her to seat all incoming guests, bus and prepare tables, get and serve drinks, and prepare and process checks. This turned into a debacle, though it wasn't her fault that she had a badly designed process and she was scheduled by herself.

Right outside my ground floor window (15 feet away) was a dumpster. A large truck started emptying into it at 630am. I was already awake but anyone wishing earshot would have been woken up by this.

Room Tip: If you need to stay here ask for a room away from the dumpster with good water pressure in the showe...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank RolandJ759
Julia B, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Garden Midland, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
We sincerely thank you for your thoughts and experience at our hotel. We are happy to hear you liked the staff, I know they will be glad to hear that they are doing a great job! We give the housekeeping staff no less than one week of training before we start them on a trial alone as we keep an eye their progress and quality of work. the same with restaurant staff.

As you might know, the Permian Basin has been experiencing an extreme shortage of individuals for staffing that are not going into the oil field business, and is not uncommon in our area to find a place or two that staffs on one or two days by only one person per the projected amount of business they are likely to have for that shift. Unfortunately that was one of those days when you stayed. But rest assured, we are in constant search for good people who can help us give you the quality of service that you have come to be used to in our hotels.

We truly understand there are components to our hotel in need of updating and enhancements. That is why we have embarked on a major renovation that will greatly enhance our entire hotel, from 1st to 3rd floor, throughout the hotel. We are most excited about these drastic improvements.

We try to keep an eye on all a/c units, since this area is known for high winds that blows sand in every crook and crevice, but its with guests such as yourself with an eagle eye for detail that we can find and catch every problem area as you communicate those with us.

We apologize for the inconvenience of the unknown individual who was "dumping" in our trash receptacle. We appreciate your bringing this to our attention so that we can investigate to see who it could be, as the only ones that should be "dumping" into it would be hotel staff, and that wouldn't be until after 10am each day.

We truly hope you will stay with us again when your plans bring you to Midland so you can experience our "new hotel", when available. Until we can again be of service.
Warmest Regards
Julia B
FOM

Travellers are raving about these Midland hotels

Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

The hotel was clean.The front desk clerk was very nice.The meal was excellent.I didn't care to much for having to eat in the lounge area.
Once in the lounge area the young black female bartender was very rude.I sat there for quite some time before she waited on me.There were not many people in the bar.There was no need for the long wait.Once my food was brought to me she never check back with me.It would of been nice to have a soda refill and salt & pepper.
The steak was good and cooked to order.
When I come back I will problemly call and make sure she's NOT WORKING.....

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Wyndham Garden Hotel, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations more so on the team member element of your stay as this is something we are normally very good at. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. We appreciate your comments about the cleanliness of our hotel and friendliness of the front desk staff.

We have, however, just staffed with new team members getting ready for the busy season ahead. I have shared your comments with the department managers to address the issue with the staff member you've indicated.

We appreciate your review, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Wyndham Garden Hotel and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Yours sincerely,
Julia B
Front Office Manager
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

First of all, let me say I agree with all of the other reviewers that the staff was extremely pleasant, knowledgeable, and friendly. However, the hotel is old and worn and it really shows. The carpet in the front lobby is tattered on its edges, all too often there were bits of trash on the floors and under the stairs in the lobby laying about, the room I was in (107) had curtains to serve as 'doors' for the 'closet' and micro/refrigerator spaces, and the bathroom is so small you have to squeeze past the toilet if you want to close the door. In fact, the bathroom door extends several inches past the toilet when fully open. The oddest part is the giant Jacuzzi tub that takes up half the room next to the bed. I kept wondering if there were some wild Texas oil parties that either went on or had gone on in the past there. The thing that sealed the deal was the beer cap that was in the far corner under my sink that was in plain sight every time I was on the toilet. It was there for the entire stay- telling me the thoroughness with which the room was cleaned was suboptimal. And please be warned- there is a train that passes by around 1 am- so if you have lived in Tornado alley and associate that sound with an incoming tornado, relax. It's just the train. I am a sound sleeper so I was able to get used to this pretty quickly- others may not adjust so well. The Wi-Fi is good, the gym is small but there is a small area to allow you to jump around if you do workout videos and the supply of free water bottles was greatly appreciated. And the bed is divinely comfortable. Lots of pluses, but unfortunately, too many minuses as well. I will probably look for another location to stay for my next trip- although options may be limited in Midland.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Julia B, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Garden Midland, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear mcurtis924;

Thank you for being our guest and for leaving us a feedback. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide a relaxing, comfortable and superior accommodations. Please accept our sincere apologies for falling short of your expectations. We take comments such as these very serious and would like to follow up with you.

We are in the middle of renovations, so hope that we can welcome you back in the future, to enjoy the changes that we are in the progress of making. I see that you chose to rent the Jacuzzi Suite that has the Jacuzzi in the room as well as a separate bathroom. We do have other room types available as well as Executive Suites on our second floor that are newly renovated. We would like to welcome you to try out one of those guest rooms the next opportunity you get to travel to Midland.

As much as we would like to, we cannot change the location of the train tracks, unfortunately and they aren't supposed to sound the horn as they come through city limits, is it the train itself?
If there is anything that I can do to make your next stay legendary, please don't hesitate to ask for me.

Your patronage and support to the hotel is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

We truly appreciate your time and look forward to talking to you soon.

Julia B, FOM
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

I canceled my reservations at the Double Tree and booked this motel for four days against my better judgment. I'm a "road warrior" business traveler, my employer likes it when I can save the company a few bucks and this motel was a little less expensive. BIG MISTAKE. First off like the other reviewers state this hotel is located in a shady part of town and is VERY DARK all around. Second, I should have got back into my car and drove away when I noticed that there were dead plants and cigarette butts everywhere at the front entrance... but wait it gets MUCH WORSE.

The front desk clerk was unable to print out anything showing that I had checked-in, (which my employer requires and is a common practice). I asked her why she wouldn't do it and she said "I don't know how to do it". She didn't even try... or contact anybody for help. She was not busy at all, but was plenty rude and angry because, her HUGE EGO didn't like her incompetence and poor customer service skills being exposed.

I get to my room and immediately notice that my bed has that look like it has been slept in, and just re-made, NO CLEAN SHEETS. Sure enough, I pull the covers back and there is a slept-in spot on the bottom sheet, (see pic), but wait it STILL GETS WORSE.

In the bathroom, on the counter top there was a used bar of soap and THEN over on the edge of bathtub was a used bar of soap with somebody's pubic hair all over it, (see pic).

Bear in mind it was near 12:00AM and I had been driving for 8 hours, was extremely tired and had a meeting at 6:00 AM.

I call the front desk and tell her about the bed and pubic hair soap and she replies, "That is fine". I tell her it is not fine, and ask for her name and she says, "Why do you need to know my name?" (She knows why I need her name). She reluctantly tells me her name is THERESA. So call Wyndham #800 customer service and get this extremely rude, hate-my-job and life person named KELLY, who offers ZERO help and tells me somebody will contact me within FIVE BUSINESS DAYS!!

Bear in mind at this point nobody has apologized for this filthy room and offered to move me. So I go to my car and get a blanket and pillow and sleep on the couch. I DO NOT TAKE A SHOWER!!

In addition the elevator does not work and the sofa's and pillows in the lobby have dark stained spots all over them. The POOL AND HOT TUBE WERE CLOSED OFF - OUT OF ORDER!! The lighting is kept dim all of the motel so you can't see how NASTY it is. I pity anybody that has eaten food prepared in this disgusting dump. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. STAY AWAY. If you don't believe me just call the front desk, ask for Theresa, then ask her a simple question and sit back and listen to her self-hatred being projected on to a customer.

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit at our hotel and for providing us with your valuable feedback. We are deeply sorry for the unacceptable service you have received from our staff. This is definitely not up to our standards and we are constantly working on improving the quality of service provided. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Regarding the hotel appearance, we have some plants, such as our palms, that did not weather the uncanny weather well this year and are in the process of having them replaced. It is true that we are nestled in among the car dealerships, so the view is not as appealing as some, however, we are minutes from the heart of Midland, which seems to be in about the same state that we find ourselves, with the unfortunate drought from the last couple of years.

I did contact you with some options for compensation. Keeping in mind that I know you were very upset about the condition of the guest room, our Guest Service Agents are trained to stay calm, even when you are not giving them a chance to try and assist by giving you some options to fix a bad situation on our part.. Theresa is one of our best, always ready with a smile to assist where she can and is ready for an opportunity to make your next stay the very best she can.

Unfortunately, it is true that we have been having technical difficulties with our printer and we are working diligently with our service technicians to get that issue resolved. I appreciate your patience with us, allowing us to email you your folio instead.
I hope that you accepted my sincerest apologies and offer to make it right for you. If ever there is anything I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know and I will do everything in my power to fix the situation to your satisfaction.

The lobby furniture are black leather couches, I have inspected them and haven't found the spots you were talking about, but have had them deep cleaned in the meantime for your next visit with us.

I agree, we also had some technical issues with the heating for our pool, which has since been resolved and it is back to perfect working order. When we get a lot of guests, sometimes we have to maintenance or repair a thing here or there, but will do our very best to make sure its in working order for your convenience.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you, to see how we can make it right for you

Julia B- FOM
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

While the Wyndam Gardens (Midland TX) is arguably the nicest hotel within site, and that's saying a lot in West Texas, I'm not a fan of their overstuffed and extremely fluffed pillows. (I prefer a smaller feather style, being a back sleeper.). If not for JACKIE who saved my life at 3:00am in the morning, I would have been wandering the streets! I'll be back soon. I Hope Jackie's working.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Julia B, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Garden Midland, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Thank you for your kind review. We are so glad that you enjoyed our property, even though you had some issues arise. We are looking into what we can do as far as the pillows, I know everyone has a different type they like to use. Jackie has been with us for many years and knows the hotel like the back of her hand, we are extremely privileged to have her here. I know she will appreciate the kudos. We hope that the next opportunity you get to travel to Midland, you will come visit us again, thank you once again.