“Did not get what I asked for.”

Grand Texan Hotel & Convention Center
Ranked #35 of 45 Hotels in Midland
Millsap, Texas
“Did not get what I asked for.”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Things started off ok. I booked a room with two double beds. Then I saw on their website that I could upgrade to a suite. So I called and asked to be upgraded. The girl who answered the phone did not know how to do it so I was told I would be sent back to external reservations, who had sent me to them, and when I explained that I was put on hold. When they came back it was someone else. She told me the room was available but she was having a hard time switching the reservation. So she asked if she could finish the change and call me back. I NEVER got a call back, and upon check-in found out she had never completed the reservation change. So we were stuck with the two doubles as they had no more suites available at this point. The staff gave a weak apology and moved on to the next task. The water did not get very hot in the shower, the beds did not have any comforters on them, we only had 3 towels in a room that can suit up to 4 adults, the hot tub was out of order, the heater would not switch over from A/C, room service was unreachable, and the lounge hours listed on their website were wrong by an hour. I work for a hotel in the town I live near. I understand that unforeseeable events happen, however having all of them happen in one night's stay is unacceptable in my opinion. I do NOT recommend this hotel nor will I EVER be returning to it.

Room Tip: Interior rooms around the pool make everything accessible.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Good Thunder, Minnesota
Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed two nights in a suite. The room needed to be updated but was clean and comfortable. My only real complaint was the dead bolt didn't work and the microwave couldn't run at the same time as the tv. The indoor pool has a water slide and was a nice temp. The whole hotel is under construction. But it isn't in a horrible condition just needing an update and repairs. The staff was helpful and polite. Breakfast was better than most continental breakfast. Eggs bacon sausage hash browns oatmeal and toppings biscuit and gravy waffles cereal yogurt hard boil eggs donuts pastries juice milk and coffee. If you order room service it is large portions. We had a ridiculous amount left over. we had chicken saffron rice, quesadilla, guacamole and chips, and chicken strips. It was all good. This isn't a fancy hotel but the price is the same as low end hotels. Id rather pay the price here, its reasonable for what your getting.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank tandbi
Waco, Texas
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I have to say that I am very disappointed in our stay here. The room appeared clean, but still needed more updates. The room actually looked like it was cheaply updated. Do not stay in the inner part of the hotel because all the rooms faced the pool and game area where there were screaming children and lots of noise till about 11 pm. This, although a pretty cool concept, will never work. The owners and managers need to think about revamping it. They definitely need to build some sort of glass, sound proof barrier between the rooms and that game room/pool area. We stayed on the first floor and from the moment we got to our room there was stomping upstairs consistently till late at night. Children were running up and down the hallways.

We were also charged twice for our one night stay because the lady at check-in put us as a no-show for our original room, which was a double bed that was reserved for us and we wanted to switch to a king bed. So we were charged for both rooms. Luckily, the management was very nice and refunded our money in a timely matter. I have to say the staff was very friendly. This hotel has lots of potential and with a lot more effort, it can live up to it's name, "Grand".

The Indian restaurant in the hotel was by far the best part of this hotel. The food was delicious! I would visit the restaurant without the hotel stay.

Room Tip: This is probably a better hotel for families with young children.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Regina, Canada
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

Let me start by saying I was meant to stay in this hotel for a week while waiting to move into my new house, I checked out after 2 days.
Day 1 I tried to give it a chance but there is no helping this failing hotel.

Staff... Front desk staff were not helpful, they carried on with inappropriate personal conversations while they completely ignored the guests. They really didn't know what they were doing. The worst customer service ever.
Outside doors did not lock so anyone could come in and out at any time. Even being a male I did not feel safe in this hotel.

The morning of day 2 I woke up to a bug crawling on my bed and a strange mold smell in my room. I went to the desk and was told there are a lot of bugs in Texas and no answer for the smell. No apology or offer to change rooms.
I checked out there and then...
Nothing Grand about the Grand Texan

Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Richard5586

Travellers are raving about these Midland hotels

Reviewed 16 November 2013

This hotel is need of major updating. The size of the rooms were nice. Not very close to any decentddining establishments other than the restaurant onsite. The pool was nice other than people in it after hours. The bar is small but refreshing after a long day. The hotel and rooms had a weird smell too it.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the pool if you want peace.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Elk City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

My wife found this hotel online, and liked the waterslide, for the kids.
Once we got there, the entry and the front looked wonderful. Once we drove around the side, it was a complete change from the front.
Once inside we realized it was an old Holiday Inn Holidome. The place was in pretty bad repair. Carpet rolls were covering quite a bit of the dome area, they were either repairing the back half of the hotel, or something, as it was taped off with plastic sheeting.

If they are in the process of remodeling them it may end up being very nice, but while we were there, no so much.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Royersford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I stayed at the Grand Texan for 4 nights for a convention in May of 2013. This is the 3rd time that I stayed at a Gaylord hotel and had a great experience. My previous stays were in MD and FL. The Grand Texan was definitely a huge property. Although I have to say that I liked the FL one because of the alligators.

The staff at the Grand Texan was excellent, everyone was very professional and helpful.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business