“Upon Closer Inspection”

La Quinta Inn Midland
Ranked #32 of 46 Hotels in Midland
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I stayed here on the night of 10/7/13 in Rm. 151. The room was booked for me for a business trip. I noticed the bad reviews AFTER the room was booked and dreaded what I'd find.

The hotel exterior is pretty old, but that's okay. The lobby looked fairly nice, check in was quick, and the front desk staff were friendly and efficient.

My first look into the room I thought everything looked okay, and was relieved, based upon the reviews. As I was getting settled in the room, I noticed lots of un-vacuumed "stuff" - a few steps inside the front door, under the sink vanity, under the business desk, and between the bed and the nightstand (see pic). The bed and pillows were comfortable, and the sheets looked a little wrinkled (see below), but didn't think much of it at the time.

No trouble with parking, but the hotel is off an odd frontage road. If you're passing from East to West, its probably easy to get in and out of the property, but not West to East, or about the town of Midland itself.

Breakfast wasn't that great - individually packaged pastries, some fruit, hardboiled eggs, juice, (stale) biscuits and gravy, cereal, and make-your-own waffles.

After breakfast, anticipating another night's stay, I called the front desk and asked them to have housekeeping vacuum thoroughly. I also placed the hotel card on the pillows, indicating that I want my linens changed, which they don't do unless requested to conserve water and energy.

My client cancelled my expected 2nd night to send me elsewhere, and I had to return to pack and check out just before the checkout deadline. Housekeeping had come by, but the requested vacuuming had not been done. Also, the bed was made, but the sheets were not changed as I requested. How do I know? Upon a hunch (the wrinkled sheets I mentioned), I placed a very discreet dot on the sheets in a specific place in pencil (can be washed out). Checking the sheets - that small, faint dot was still there, telling me the sheets were not changed! So, if you're in this room after me, you probably don't have clean sheets, and I'm not confident I had clean sheets myself!

Internet worked well, and the room was spacious. A/C didn't cool well, and would only work on the Auto setting. Flat screen TVs are in the room, and I liked that the TV had satellite vs. cable - I like being able to see a program schedule at a glance and select from there, however, there weren't many channels - less than 40. Water in the shower was hot and had good pressure, but the shower head was set very low - like for someone 5' tall.

I'll try somewhere else next time I'm in Midland.

Room Tip: During hot months, get a room that doesn't face the hot Western sun.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Gideon_Krasmanic

Reviewed 20 September 2013

This is the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. When I arrived, I was given my room key and directions - the desk clerk was not friendly at all. I drove to the room, opened the door and the room wasn't made. I drove back to the front desk and told her - not an apology, a "sorry for the mistake", NOTHING. She just typed some things and gave me a new room - WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!!

On top of that, the bathtub was discusting and didn't drain and the fact that there are trains going by every 30 minutes through the night, and the truck yard next door - forget about getting a good nights sleep. Because Midland is booming with oil work right now, hotel rooms are hard to find - $160 for a La Quinta is outrageous especially for this dump.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Jgreen1005
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I have been staying at this La Quinta since March of 2013 to August 2013 for work. I have been all across the country stayed at a lot of places and this La Quinta is one of the worst motels I have stayed in. The rooms are consistently dirty and something is always broke in the room. The pool is broke and will be down for weeks at a time and looks like pickle juice after a week of no service. I ask when it will be back up and the response is they are waiting on a part... yea right, waiting on a part for three weeks!!! The breakfast is a joke and the front staff can careless what you have to say, its just a job to them in a crappy motel. Whatever you do don't give your money to this place, my company pays my room, I would never give a dime to a DUMP like this!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank perry p
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I have stayed in laquinta several times, but something quick has to be done about this hotel since it is dragging the Laquinta brand name in the mud by being the dirtiest hotel that I have ever been to. It is very dirty, I dont think management supervises the cleaning of the hotel well. lots of dead roaches, crickets and live roaches. there was hair even in the refrigerator. We spent hours cleaning the room. When we complained, and another room was recommended, upon inspecting the new room, It was the same conditions, very dirty room so we refused that room. I was told by the girl at the front desk that these conditions has been reported several times to the manager by guests every morning but she never does anything about it. I dont understand why they just cant vacuum or clean the room well. The pool was broken throughout our stay. When we finally got to report to the manager of the hotel, she was so rude that, I can now understand why the hotel is as dirty as it is. Please dont waste your money. I dont care if you go to another La Quinta, but dont waste your money on this nightmarish experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I have traveled all over the U.S. and have been a La Quinta customer for years. This is, by far, the worst hotel I've ever ALMOST stayed at.... Due to an emergency, I made a late night reservation for my family. I was told a 12:30 am check in would be fine. When I arrived, the door was locked. When the clerk finally unlock the door, She told me they were running an audit. Because of the audit, my reservation had been billed as a no show (not sure how she knew this before even knowing my name). If I wanted to stay there I would have to pay for another night. I got on the phone with the reservations department, and the hotel clerk got on the phone with her manager. She then informed me that the manager would not be issuing me any sort of refund. I actually considered just paying for another night, and working out the problem in the morning. Rudely, she said I would have to wait until they were done with the audit. I asked her how long that would take, and in a patronizing tone, told me they were almost done. Livid with her attitude and the ridiculousness of the situation, we went down the street to another hotel. I gave the clerk no reason to treat me so poorly. I can only imagine how much worse it could have been if we decided to rough it out and stay there. I tried to call the manager the next morning and she never returned my calls. Corporate headquarters were very apologetic and did issue me a refund.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Michelle N
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Upon check in at approximately 4:30 pm the first room they provided (212) was not cleaned and prepped for the next visitor. I went back to the desk and they provided me with a different room. At first glance this room was acceptable; however, unpon opening the refriderator to place my cold drinks in there was mold all over the inside of the refridgerator. As I was tired after driving all day I just blew it off and did not use the refridgerator. As for the breakfast service it was total waste of time. Who wants to eat a Sausage Bisket that is in a celofane rapper and that you would heat in the microwave or have Hard Boiled Eggs. As for breakfast pastries the best they had was Smuckers Crustables. I chose not to eat there as Dennys was a hugh leap better then what the Hotel had and Dennys is not that great. At 143.00 per nite this is definately not LaQuinta Quality. It is time to either sell this unit or do a complete rehab. I hope that the next time I stay at a LaQuinta Hotel that it will be at their best quaility.

Room Tip: Chose a different Hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We choose because of the la Quinta brand ..... Horrible!! And totally over priced for what you get. Our first room the a/c didn't work. Called front desk... Phone
rang about 20 times no answer. Called back. On the 10th ring Shanna Answered. Said to come to front desk she would move us. Walked down and no shanna. Wondered around lobby for about 15 minutes she finally came out of a back office. while she was moving me another guest came up because they got checked into a dirty room. New room at least the ac worked. The tub looked nasty. No trash bags in any of the trash cans. Only 10-12 channels on the tv to watch and the shower made a horrendous screaming noise ........ Never again!! La Quinta you should be ashamed!

• Stayed: June 2013