“I Truly Hate to Pan This Place”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Executive Inn & Suites
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Mission
Sugar Land, TX
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,213 helpful votes
“I Truly Hate to Pan This Place”
Reviewed 1 June 2006

The Executive Inn & Suites is a motel in the Palmview area of Mission, TX, on U.S. Hwy. 83. My stay was for the one night of May 25, 2006.

This motel is on the corner of the northbound freeway feeder and a cross-street, but the only entrance/exit is on the feeder, so if you drive out, you have to make a long drive and a u-turn to get back.

I genuinely hate to pan this place. The owner/manager is an intelligent, energetic, extremely personable young man who cares.

I arrived as a drive-up guest, frustrated at the lack of lodging between Rio Grande City and Mission. (A new La Vista Inn is about to open in a tiny town between the two, but it wasn't open on this day.) As usual, I asked for the quietest room possible, and I was readily given a room around the back of this single-story motel. I paid the flat $54 rate (tax included) in advance. The room was indeed quiet.

But: The room's air conditioner had not been run all day, and it was 95 F. outside. Although I ran the A/C as long/strongly as possible, it took fully five hours (!) for the room to reach reasonable coolness. I eventually took a shower in 100% cold water but still broke out in a hot sweat after stepping out of the shower.

The bed was comfortable, and the furnishings were tasteful and in working order. The microwave and small fridge were very helpful to have. But: The bathroom sink lacked its "stopper," and running water either caused a racket or it splattered outside the sink. The toilet took fully 100 seconds to flush (I timed it), and then only when the handle was held down for that long -- see below.

Most strange was that the room's door had only the keyed inside/outside lock -- no deadbolt, no peephole. Regardless, the one lock was strong and firm, and the neighborhood is safe, so the oddity was merely something to note.

I tried to buy a drink from each of the two vending machines, but neither operated. One ate my two quarters, and the manager immediately and apologetically refunded them.

The motel has a nice-looking pool across its parking lot. There is a restaurant on the property; it was open till 8 p.m. on the night of my stay and reopened in the morning for breakfast. Although I didn't try this eatery, the manager spoke positively of it.

In the morning, my toilet would not operate at all. I called the front office; the morning clerk "read my mind" and proactively suggested giving me access to the empty adjacent room. Here, the toilet worked fine, and I noted that the air conditioner was far stronger and a newer-looking unit. At check-out, the clerk continued to be apologetic and concerned, and I thanked him.

Several of the things "wrong" were peculiar to my room. The motel is clean and quiet, and the management and staff care -- the place will never be a "dive." Based purely on my experience here, I'd say that you could do either better or worse elsewhere. If in the area again, I'd probably look elsewhere "just because," but this motel would remain in the running as an option of a place to stay.

41 Thank TBoneTX

1 review from our community

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mission
SureStay Hotel Mission
La Quinta Inn & Suites Mission at West McAllen
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#5 of 9 in Mission

Been to Executive Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!