“Tired but marginally acceptible, clean but needs help”

Super 8 Montgomery/ Lake Conroe
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Montgomery
Reviewed 23 October 2011

I have stayed at this Super 8 at least six or seven times as my HQ for good times at the Texas Renaissance Festival. The fact that I continue to stay here in spite of a few misgivings about this property...well I guess that means I think it is "OK"

But it is only "OK".

The pool is poorly maintained, this weekend it was 85 degrees on Friday afternoon but the pool was filthy and looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a while. They shut down the pool at 9pm when it is open, but I don't think I have ever seen that pool in clean, swimmable condition.

The rooms themselves are basic: they do have microwaves and refrigerators, but I have had problems with the refrigerators either freezing over or not being cold enough. The furnishings are "OK" and the bed is comfortable enough but nothing outstanding. I will say I think they keep the rooms reasonably clean.

A major beef is that all of the second floor rooms are only accessible by stairs, and the two sets of stairs are not very convenient to either the rooms or the parking lot. It can be a long haul from car to room.

The "continental breakfast" is relatively meager. Low end quality fruit and microwave burritos are the basic fare.

Another "plus" however, is that this property is close to great places to eat dinner (County Line BBQ, Five Guys Burgers, Sam's Boat) and there is a CVS Pharmacy across the highway that is convenient and comes in handy for small emergencies (forgot the toothpaste?)

Overall: two stars. I will stay here again, and I will most likely be slightly disappointed with the low end "bang for my buck" at this place. I don't spend a lot of time in the room here, but it is handy to know about and relatively close to where I am going when I am in the area.

Room Tip: try to stay away from 216 thru 222 upstairs they are a long way from the parking lot up the stairs.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 3 September 2011

When I read the not so good review of this hotel, I was quick to write them off as an upset customer on a rampage. However, on a recent trip to a family wedding, we stayed at the Super 8 in Montgomery/Conroe Texas. For starters, the pictures on the website are NOTHING like what the hotel really is. The pool is about the size of a hot tub, and not clean. There was still some trash left from the prior tenants, there was gunk and dust on the surfaces that could be scrapped off. The bathroom was absolutly gross, and the dirt on the back of the door got the towels dirty when I hung them on the hook!! The floors are not fully clean and there are spider webs hanging from the ceiling. Then to make matters worse, when I went to mention it to the staff, I was basically called a liar. I even gave her the trash left behind and she still wanted to argue with me! Needless to say, my family, or anyone I know, will NEVER be staying at a Super 8 hotel. Ever!

Room Tip: There are no
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Pulled in late with trailer...staff was very helpful about parking with the trailer. Room was clean but A/C was really struggling to keep the room cool. It was hot (109) outside!! Great price for accomodations!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank jwpins
Reviewed 13 December 2010

Only hotel with available rooms that we could find in the area ~ in town for funeral. Water is overly chlorinated (the smell is sickening)
Breakfast~ watered down orange juice~warm milk~bitter coffee~stale cereal and rolls~microwave sandwiches w/expired dates...REALLY???
Last night stay ~ drunken wedding party checked in~yelling~argueing~pounding on doors (ours included)~running up and down balcony~no respect... Our complaints fell on deaf ears~(6) phone calls (front desk~super 8 customer service~expedia~hotels.com). "Call this other number" ~ was the generic answer each time I called... This particular super 8 has a "2" rating for a reason.. Take heed ~ you've been warned!!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2010

Front desk staff unfriendly. Breakfast promptly closed at 9am, which was disappointing. Pool closed at 9pm as well. The grounds were clean and the room served it's purpose for $70 per night, however. It was quiet and the room was cleaned nicely every day, although it looked a bit outdated. I'd stay here again if nothing else was available, it wasn't terrible, but definitely isn't at the top of my list of places to return to. You can rent condos on the lake for $100 to $150 per night that offer full kitchens and bedrooms. I would think that would be much more worth it.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 September 2008

While running from Hurricane, found this hotel to be clean, rooms were nice, but best of all the staff were very friendly and helpful. Thanks for the hospitality.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 20 August 2005

This is a very comfortable hotel , nice very clean and great rates. Probably the best hotel in the area.

• Stayed: August 2005
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montgomery
Best Western Lake Conroe Inn
Days Inn & Suites Conroe North
La Quinta Inn & Suites Conroe
Hampton Inn & Suites Conroe - I-45 North
Fairfield Inn & Suites Houston Conroe Near The WoodlandsR
Baymont Inn & Suites Conroe/The Woodlands

Been to Super 8 Montgomery/ Lake Conroe? Share your experiences!