“Very disappointing limited German food options”

Rohmer's Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 7 Restaurants in Muenster
Cuisines: American, German, Steakhouse
Dallas
“Very disappointing limited German food options”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We took one of our day road trips today, and after spending some time @ Winstar Casino in Okla, (another separate review...WOW) stopped by Muenster on the way home for a bite. Our fave place, Doc's Grill and Bar has sadly closed. Another loss due to hard times. RIP. We just loved this homey feeling restaurant.

We then decided to try Rohmer's just down the road. They bill themselves as a German restaurant, but alas, their menu for German food is quite limited. Lots of burgers, sandwiches, salads, BBQ, some limited items of tex-mex, Chicken Fried Steak, etc, but only 4 choices of German food, (Wiener Schnitznel, Chicken Schnitzel, Schnitzel & Sausage & Bratwurst) and sadly...NO German Red Cabbage. That was heartbreaking. How can you be a "German" restaurant, and not serve red cabbage? You can't. Even our server shook her head in dismay when she had to tell me they don't offer this dish.

This is a large restaurant, nothing really WOW in the atmosphere, just a family dining spot with several rooms; wooden (hard) booths and tables. The building looks very "German" on the outside, but when walking in, the atmosphere is far from that. Felt like I was in a Golden Corral.

Therefore, I strayed from any German food selections except for the German Potato Salad with my Catfish, which was only okay, underwhelming. OMG, an enormous serving of Catfish fingers, not filets, but they were quite plump, tender, perfectly breaded and spiced with seasonings, with a slight kick of probably cayenne. Truly, it was enough for 2, maybe 3 peeps. My meal also included the salad bar, but I did not partake as I had so much food on my plate. I did enjoy it. The warm potato salad was also very good, with the right level of taste of bacon and vinegar. Very creamy and smooth.

BFF had the salad bar with soup (in keeping with his "healthy eating" )and also enjoyed it. I tasted the vegetable soup and it was almost as good as mine...ha! Really quite tasty.

Service was okay; a slight wait for the fresh catfish preparation, but not unreasonable. Our server was friendly and attentive. Inexpensive dining.

I did leave however with the disappointment of NO red cabbage, so we stopped down the road @ The Center Restaurant who does serve this dish and I picked up some to go. YUM, so delish, have been grabbing a teaspoon or two all afternoon as I pass the counter top since I got home. Palate now satisfied. (The Center looks to be a really fave spot of regulars; the parking lot was full, dining room(s) were quite busy, and their menu looks quite good. We'll try this spot on our next sojurn North of the Metroplex)

Our meals were just "okay",nothing to draw us back. The disappointment of limited German food options brings this down one star. we'll not race to go back. Again, a German restaurant that doesn't serve red cabbage?

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank FuzzBuns

Texas
“Excellent”
Reviewed 26 January 2013 via mobile

Love coming here for Wiener schnitzel, sauerkraut and fried potatoes. Just when you think you've had enough, they offer you pie!!!!

gainesville
“Horrible service”
Reviewed 6 January 2013

There were four waitresses and only two tables occupied (ours being one) and we could not get any service. The manager or owner apologized profusely yet even after his apology the waitresses continued to stand around in talk idly in plain view. We could not get refills, bread, nothing. And two of us didn't even receive our meals until our whole party had finished their dinners. We had just come from a funeral and had changed our clothes to come eat and this was what we got.

Visited April 2012
Gainesville, Texas
“German food”
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Want some excellent german food go to rhomer's you all the \German pieces and they also do catering for your next e wvent.

Texas
“Try their pork wienerschnitzel!”
Reviewed 28 September 2012

There are several very good casual family restaurants in Muenster but my favorite is Rohmer's. Although we have been here numerous times over the past ten years, I've only had the pork wienerschnitzel. It is that good. It is served with kraut and your choice of fried potatoes or German potato salad. We often add on a trip to the salad bar because of the homemade salads -my favorite is their version of copper penny (carrot) salad. Their homemade pies look delicious but we've never had room for dessert yet!

Rohmer's is a very casual, clean, small town restaurant. We have always enjoyed good food and prompt, friendly service anytime we've stopped in. There is booth and table seating - your choice. They serve a variety of foods and their prices are reasonable especially considering the portion sizes. My dad uses a scooter and the restuaurant is handicap accessible (via ramp) with accessible restrooms as well. The restrooms were clean and tidy.

We end up spending some time in Muenster afterwards. I like to check out three little gift shops on main street that carry unique items including German christmas tree decorations. Luckily two hardware stores also on main street give my husband somewhere to wander while I'm shopping. We used to buy fresh pecans by following the "pecans" sign on Division Street as you come into town from the east but I'm not sure if they are still in business.

We bring a cooler and our last stop before leaving town is always Fischer's Meat Market & Grocery on main street. They make the best cheeses and have a great meat market. I love their Muenster and smoked cheeses. They also carry unique specialty food items, wines & beers, and fresh baked strudel from Bayers Kolonialwaren in town. If you are there on the hour - check out the animated figures in the glockenspiel on top of Fischer's store.

• Visited June 2012