See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 August 2017 via mobile

Because if I do more people might hear about this place! It was PERFECT! We wanted a quiet getaway from the daily rat race and that's exactly what we got! The host were amazing and the cabin was perfect!

Date of stay: August 2017
Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

This is just a general review, as it has been maybe a year or so since we've been to Stag Leap. My husband and I have stayed here at least 6 or 7 times and we absolutely love it! The cabins are secluded, which is a top priority for us, the forest setting is beautiful, and exploring the woods on the golf cart is so much fun! One review stated you'd need an SUV or 4-wheel drive to navigate the roads to the cabins but that's not true. Past the main house the roads aren't perfect, but we've never had a problem driving a car on the property. The only reason we haven't been to Stag Leap in a while is because pets aren't allowed, which is perfectly understandable and desirable, but now our small dog has medical needs and I don't feel comfortable boarding her anymore so she travels with us. If it weren't for that we'd love to return again and again and hope to do so someday.

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Sabrina C, Public Relations Manager at Stag Leap Country Cabins & Extended Stays, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2017

Thank you, Eleise, for your kind words! My husband and I are dog lovers, too (we own 5!), so we hate to lose your business as a result of not wanting to leave your fur-baby at home. Although we have a "no pets allowed" policy, OCCASIONALLY my husband and I will make an exception in our cabin (Deer Haven). So if you'd like to come stay with us again soon and are okay with the Deer Haven cabin, we'd like to visit with you more to see if we can accommodate your dog. We will have to charge an extra fee, but at least that's an option. We would love to have you back!

Reviewed 1 July 2017

From the time I made my reservation with Mattie (very sweet, courteous,professional lady), until I left from my 2 day stay, this place had exactly what I was looking for. I was visiting my nearby hometown for a belated birthday trip. I wanted some peace and quiet during my visit. I think Mattie and others went above and beyond to provide everything I needed. There were books to read, golf carts to maneuver around throughout the property, wifi, and telephone was provided. If you're looking for serenity in a secluded manner, but close to shopping and other amenities, this place fits the bill! I will be returning.

Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

We're so glad you enjoyed your stay and experienced some peace and quiet while you were here! Thanks to our woodsy setting, that's not hard to achieve! :) We look forward to a return visit from you in the future.

Reviewed 30 May 2017 via mobile

We visited over Memorial Day weekend. I would rate it a 4 for families that want a premier camping experience as there is outdoor activities, such as soccer, volleyball, and tetherball as well as golf cart rentals to explore the property.

Please note that there are not delineated set trails or creek wading as we implied from the website but there are places to explore as it is set in an unkept or natural forest setting. In our opinion, exploration is better feasible in a golf cart versus hiking through the woods.

However, it was not a romantic get a way place - at least for us. We are active and in our thirties. The pictures online looked better than our cabin. It was an older cabin with a very old - tub (no shower), bed, pillows, linens- and there were water stains throughout the cabin. Due to the age of the cabin, it also did not appear very clean to us. It was also very musky. The porch was very nice but it is a forest so we could not enjoy it due to flying insects- mainly wasps. If we wanted a deluxe camping experience this would be the place; it just isn't the romantic get a way we were hoping for.

I only am posting to share our experience so that you may adjust your expectations accordingly and to make sure it meets your expectations for the type of vacation you are looking for. Again, the property is very nice for exceptional camping in cabins and management is very nice. I am rating it a three due to our experience in wanting and again misreading the website in thinking it was a great romantic get a way spot for us.

In booking, I would note and recommend the following:

1. Ask if your cabin has a shower or any other features that are important to you.

2. Breakfast is canned rolls and biscuits to cook in your cabin so bring food and water accordingly. It is also in the country and about 15 minutes from nachedoghes.

3. Arrive in daylight and you probably need a four wheel drive car or better a SUV as the site is hard to navigate and everything but the front entrance drive are narrow dirt roads.

We did very much enjoy exploring nachedoches including various outdoor trails and the farmers market.

Date of stay: May 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Sabrina C, Public Relations Manager at Stag Leap Country Cabins & Extended Stays, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2017

To those reading this review, we would like to address a few of the comments made by this guest. First, we make cleanliness top priority in all of our cabins. Second, we believe our website clearly states that our cabins are secluded in a wooded setting. Most provide private, over-sized jacuzzi tubs, and all of our guests have access to our hot tub, which may be reserved for private use. Many of our guests find these details to provide just the romantic atmosphere they are looking for, so we regret that this guest was disappointed by our efforts to create the atmosphere in which she was hoping to find. As a private-family owned facility, we try to please all of our guests, and we believe we went above and beyond to address this guest's dissatisfaction. So we are thankful for her positive recognition of our owners (i.e. "management"). Regarding the need for an SUV or a four-wheel drive, we believe this is an exaggerated opinion as our guests do not have trouble accessing our cabins in a regular car. As suggested by this reviewer, we are here to answer your questions about any of our cabins and their specific amenities. We value our guests' opinions, though, and often use reviews such as this to improve our facilities for the comfort and enjoyment of future guests.

Reviewed 28 March 2017

We stayed at Doe Stowey cabin. I still remember Mattie. Would definitely recommend this place for best places to stay in Nacogdoches.

I particularly remember because we had white snowy christmas on Year 2012 and our drive from dallas was fantastic .

Date of stay: April 2016

What a treat snow is for our area! That's definitely not something we see very often, but it is definitely memorable when it happens. We're glad to be a part of that memory for you and would love to see you again at Stag Leap one day.