“Perfect for a weekend with friends”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Heidelberg Lodges

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Braunfels
Heidelberg Lodges
Austin, Texas
“Perfect for a weekend with friends”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2011

Just back from a 3-night stay at the Heidelberg with friends. This place is like stepping back in time -- in the best possible sense. Super friendly and accommodating staff, beautiful grounds, very laid-back atmosphere. Ideal for a family getaway or a long weekend with friends.

And contra the earlier reviews, the staff was all very eager to help. We locked our keys in the room one day, and they immediately walked over and let us back in.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank MRV_Austin

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2011

Called to reserve 4 rooms for one night, Sunday April 3. The lady who answered phone told me there was a 2-night minimum. I told her I only needed 1 night and asked if they were that full on a Sunday night in early April that they would turn me away based on policy. She said they normally don't check guests in on Sunday anyway, which is the reason for the 2-night minimum. The lady was a bit rude and I got the impression managemement doesn't really care if people stay at the hotel or not. I definitely won't try to stay here in the future.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Lenrod55
Round Rock, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2010

Unfortunately, I didn't get to stay at this hotel. They yanked the rug out from under us at the last minute telling us that a policy existed that is clearly denoted in the opposite way on their website.

The minimum stay requirement that expires on Labor day was re-instated when I explained that I was coming down to run in a half-marathon to raise money for adoptive and foster children. Suddenly, one night would not work, and a 2-night minimum was instituted.

Crazy considering the lodge was not full and was not expected to be. I suppose they haven't fully grasped the idea that some business is better than no business...

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank RoundRockTripGuy
homefront1
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2010

Our family grew up at Heidelberg Lodges and have always enjoyed them. However, the new management is rude, does not want to have business come to them, and makes it almost impossible to reserve a room. They treat people that have been coming for over 30 years as if they are a pain in their side, instead of those that return year after year. Many children have grown up there and continue to come back year after year, however now with the new management everyone we have talked with is considering not returning. Rudeness is not going to keep their doors open-but I think that is what they are aiming for. It is ashame because most families no longer recommend them to their friends-not because the cabins are old, not because of the simplicity-but because the NEW MANAGEMENT IS SO RUDE AND MAKES GETTING RESERVATIONS EVEN HARDER-THEY NEED LESSONS IN HOSPITALITY!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
4 Thank homefront1
sacramento, california
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2009

This is a great place to take the entire family. I've been going here every summer of my life. I now live 2000 miles away, but still make the trip every year.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
Houston, TX
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2009

The facility was clean -- but old. Advertising it is right next to the Comal River is misleading -- you cannot enter the river on a tube from Heidelberg Lodge. The shower has one temperature -- and it's not warm or hot. The shower head was like a fire hydrant spewing out. Beware if you stay in the bottom floor -- because the ceiling is like plywood -- and you can hear every step from the folks above. And the remote did not work for the tv. The swimming pool was huge and very clean. Staff was very friendly. For the amount I spent per night -- including the addl charges per person per night -- I regret I did not do more research and find a more updated facility.

Rockin R Tubing was perfect -- very friendly staff and convenient drop off and pick up.

2 Thank thedogkeeper
Lufkin, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2008

I just happened to come across the Heidelberg Lodges while trying to find accommodations for the 2008 Texas State H.O.G. Rally. I have been a travel agent for 6 years and had never heard of this place. While trying to find something close to the Wurstfest grounds, and because I waited so long to book I had found a little place in Seguin, TX that I just was no happy with at all! I just had an absolutely awful feeling about it so started looking all over again. And that's when I found this little resort in the middle of nowhere!

I could write an enormous review but will quickly hit the highlights...

- After I booked, I received a coupon in the mail from Rose at the lodge for "Stay 3 nights and pay for 2" or "Stay for 5 nights and pay for 4." They are seasonal coupons obviously but may be available if you choose this place.

- The pool area is excellent!!! It is right next to the Comal River (which is also at your finger tips) and is a beautiful location! Huge pool and open 24 hours. (Swim at your own risk.)

- Air conditioner in the two bedroom we stayed in (#31) worked wonderfully well.

- No utinsels AT ALL in the rooms. I think each room, the efficiency, 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom units all have a full kitchen area. (You may want to check that on their website) The kitchen is fully operational but there is absolutely nothing in them. No utinsels whatsoever! So if you are staying and are wanting to cook at all, bring everything you need...everything! Including paper towels, trash bags, plates, soap, etc. They provide 1 dish towel, 6 towels in the 2 bedroom and 4 washcloths. If you use a towel and need another, you must take it to the office for towel exchange. No housekeeping except for garbage pickup every couple of days from your porch.

- If you are a sensitive sleeper, bring earplugs or an MP3 player or something to sleep with. There is a train that runs less than 2 blocks from the lodge and we counted about 7 times between 11pm and 7am that the train ran. And because it is an intersection (approximately 4 or 5 of them within earshot!) the whistle blows at every single intersection! Luckily I am a very sound sleeper but my husband and in-laws heard every one of them! They slept with MP3 players the next two nights and were good to go!

- If you are wanting a location close to the Wurstfest grounds, you couldn't find a better spot! Literally about 6 blocks away (if even that!). Quiet (other than the train!) and an excellent, excellent location. Right next to Landa Park's golf course in a residential neighborhood. It's really quite hidden!

- We met a couple that were from Austin but had grown up in New Braunfels and couldn't believe we had found the place on the internet! They said it was really just a locally known lodge and that not very many people knew about it!

- Our unit was right next to the laundry room they had. Two washers and two dryers (but only 1 worked). Be careful with the dryer...it gets your clothes extremely, extremely hot!!!!! $1.00 for the wahing machine and anywhere from $0.50 to $1.00 for the dryer.

- If you are coming from I-35, it's about 3 miles or so to the lodge. Once you turn on River Road to get there, keep on the lookout for deer on both sides of the road! Especially at night!

- There is a game room that is open during the busy season or even while the main office is open that guests can use.

- The main office was open Monday through Friday 9am to 3pm.

- Go to Neiglin's Bakery (not sure about that spelling) and get apple struddel!!!!

- Go to New Braunfels Smokehouse on Loop 337...yummmm!

I guess I'll stop there! This has been long enough already! So go and have a great time! I look forward to returning!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Not many ammenities
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank KendraC