“Schlitterbahn is crowded, but it was great because we had a game plan”

Schlitterbahn Waterpark New Braunfels
More attraction details
Owner description: Come explore over seventy acres of shared family fun, thrilling adventure, and relaxation! Schlitterbahn is nestled along the beautiful banks of the Comal River and features world-famous attractions, epic river adventures, kid’s water playgrounds, and beautiful spots to relax and share a picnic.
Katy, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Schlitterbahn is crowded, but it was great because we had a game plan”
Reviewed 10 August 2011

We have visited Schlitterbahn about 5 times in 15 years and this year was the best trip ever. I would like to offer some tips to help. If you can go before Fathers Day, it is less crowded because schools up north often don't let out for summer until mid-June. There are LOTS of benefits, if you stay at the park. You have your own parking spots. You get a great deal on tickets. We had a room on Sunday and Monday nights and for $50. per person, we got a wrist band that allowed us into the park on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. That is a DEAL! It also allows you to get in at 9 AM, which is one hour before the normal 10 opening time. Plus, you have first choice of tables. Our teenagers got in line at 8:30 and were first ones in line to ride the Master Blaster. Then they rode the Black Knight and Wolf Pack and were back at the room by 10:30. Then you can spend the rest of the day riding the no line or less popular attractions. (My kids swear that Dragon's Revenge is the best ride of all). The park closes at 8 PM, but you can go to the Arcade, pool and hot tub until 11 or 12 at night. The condos at Surfenberg are the best rooms imo. Ours was old, but large & immaculate. We were 20 steps from Surfenberg and about 40 steps to the bus stop. And no train noise!

I haven't seen people say much about the new ride, The Falls. It was my favorite, I rode it 4 times and the best part is, it is a fast moving tube ride, with no lines, because there are about 5 places where you just grab a tube and wade into the water.

We brought all of our food with us, so the only money we spent on food and drinks at the park was for 1 pretzel. We brought rolling coolers with drinks and sandwiches for lunch. We had a bbq pit at the room, so we cooked hamburgers and fajitas.

If you are looking for a new, shiny, pristine, 4 star resort, Schlitterbahn is not for you. If you want old fashioned family fun at a 32 year old park with charm, then we will see you there!

3 Thank JanaMae

Dallas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Get there early and plan ahead!”
Reviewed 9 August 2011

We just got back from Schlitterbahn - I hadn't been in about 8 years, since I went with friends during High School. It was just my wife and I and we had a blast.

The biggest thing to do is to plan ahead! Look at a map and figure out what you want to do - we spent the morning working our way through the new parks and came back to the Original park for lunch and the rest of the afternoon. The rides there are longer (15-20 minutes) and more tubing, so you can relax and enjoy it.

I would recommend getting to the Original park early - we got our bracelets around 930a, put our towels and snacks on a picnic table (in the shade!) and a locker for our car keys, then took the tram over to the new part of the park.

We were at the new park by 10a and the line for Masterblaster was already over 2 hours long. Not worth it. By skipping it, at 12n we had already ridden the Black Night, Wolf Pack, gone through the Torrent River a few times, did the new "ride" The Falls, did the Boogie Bahn and the Dragon's Revenge. Had we ridden Masterblaster we wouldn't have done any of that.

We spent the whole afternoon at the original park - we rode all of the red diamond (most "extreme") rides except for one that we didn't care about (the racer one). The tubing rides are pretty similar but all offer a pretty good mix of rapids and floating.

I was worried about our stuff just sitting out, but no one seemed to be messing with anything. I would recommend locking valuables in the lockers, but considering that they let you bring in food and drinks, that can be your only expense of the day.

We had a great time and probably didn't spend more than 30 minutes in any line (the Congo river was the longest). Bring sunscreen and patience and you'll have a great time!

3 Thank eblaze
Houston, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Too Long of Wait for the Amount of Money Spent”
Reviewed 9 August 2011

My Family: 2 adults and 3 small childern age's 7-11. Let me first say I have been coming to the Schlitterbahn since I was a kid and had fond memories of the park and wanted to share that with my childern, But for the price and at a discounted ticket rate of over 200.00 and even getting there right when the park opened. By the time it took us to get a locker because all the picnic tables filled up so quick had been an hour just doing that. We saw both parks and stayed from the time the park opened to close, from the lines being horrendously long got to ride 5 rides. The schlitterbahn west the only enjoyable thing about that park was the water there were people wall to wall. I'm sure a monumentous task for the life guards who were on duty. I'm sure schlitterbahn was pushing capacity or past capacity for the amount of people there, but the lines for old park 2+ hours. The lines for the new park 3 hours and new park try and get into the pool and your child might drowned; if I wasnt a Firefighter/Medic and my child was out in that pool I wouldn't recommend letting them play even if they are 11 because for one life guard there was probably 300 people. Too much of a ratio for one person.

We stayed out in town for a cheaper Hotel and got to the park when it opened. There was not enough signs in right places to show you where the rides begin and where they end. I had to ask 5 people where the Tubes were on the way down. The food is fair priced if you get the Turkey leg. If you want to try a cold brew and not recommended on a 110 Heat index day those are 6.50.

The new park was wall to wall people waited in line for the Wolf pack slide for 3 hours. Not worth the wait for how short the ride is. The kids wanted to go for the master blaster and waited for an hour and saw people coming down and them saying there was something wrong with the ride.

A good point I like the Schlitterbahn West ( old park ) better the water was a crisp 60 degrees and there was alot more shade with the old big trees and even though the lines were 2 + hour wait the length of the ride was at least 4 to 5 min. long which is worth it.

Not the park I remember 15 yrs ago. The lines for the food where terrible because of the amount of people and when I was trying to order it seemed like the young people working there were more interested in talking and conversing to one another than doing a job. Also if you buy a souvenir cup then you could fill it with water and free refills of water that is a good value. I guess, if you are the first in line when the open and you stampede your way to a picnic table you might have an enjoyable time, but that is where you will be sitting all day; because the lines for the slides are 2 + hours on the weekends.

Good points: New Park
1. The Falls a great long ride.

That and the wolf pack were the only rides we got to get to ride at the new park.

Good points: Old park

1. shade
2. water was cool and crisp in the Texas heat
3. The rides that you did get to get on was 4-5 min of fun with both kids and adults.

Bad points: Both parks

1. Too many people
2. Too long to wait for a ride when you travel from far
3. It was hard to find bathrooms.
4. For Capacity standpoint, There should be a maximum because there was way too many people for the park to hold.

My thoughts on going back are slim, I don't think I will pay the amount of money and Ticket price for only getting to ride 5 rides in a 10 hr day.

7 Thank Medic478
Dallas, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“NASTY RESORT”
Reviewed 8 August 2011

If you plan on a vacation DO NOT STAY AT THIS RESORT the rooms have mold smell and the bathroom tub had mold the ceiling had lots of water stains lamp shades are torn beds have springs in your back and the price was one night $260 and the A/C went out and can not forget the wounderful TRAIN EVER 20 MINS if you stay there you will not be happy I promise you I have left lots of message for Gary Henry the owner to call me he will not return my call all the people that work in the desk are RUDE I sure did not feel like I was in TEXAS that is how Rude they R. ALL I CAN SAY IS DO NOT STAY HERE THEY ARE LIARS!!!!!!!!!!!

9 Thank tcbpip04
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“We had sooooo much fun!”
Reviewed 8 August 2011

I had read reviews about Schlitterbahn on Trip Advisor before headed out and was a bit worried, but after visiting a few days I can recommend going to all families who love water and good family fun. Highly recommend buying admission tickets on-line. Also, take a picnic and plenty of drinks to stay hydrated. Don't worry, there are great treats to buy there and you will, but you will not feel like you just ruined 6 months of watching your figure to spend a few days in a bikini. The newer sections of the part and super clean and the water is chlorinated. It can get somewhat crowed and if you hit is wrong the lines are long. The older or "Original" section is large and has a somewhat confusing layout. Just ask young teenagers nicely where to go or what to do and they will tell you (or look for someone who has a season pass wristband on). The people are very friendly. Do beware that in the Original section it so spread out and it is easy to get separated from your group. Make a meet-up plan for your group and you will be glad that you did. After 5pm the lines significantly go down. So find rides that don't have much wait time and save the others for later in the day. We had an amazing time with our 10 and 12 year old girls. There is a little something for everyone. The Original section has water from the river. It is not crystal clear....it is river water. If that is a problem for you, stay over in the new section.

3 Thank Adaofnm