“Just poor customer service and false advertising!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Braunfels
Billy Goat's Gruff Campground
Reviewed 10 June 2012

We came with one car, four people and and two large tents and a dining tent. We paid about 150$ total for the two nights we would stay including electricity and parking. I confirmed that the sites were spacious enough for two "large" tents. I was assured they would fit with plenty of room on a river front spot. We were very excited until we arrived and were shocked to find that it was much smaller than advertised. The sites were all different sizes and were right on top of each other. The grounds were lacking from the gorgeous pictures that were advertised online when I researched the place. We tried to come to a reasonable solution with the lady there and she was beyond rude! She started arguing about everything! We even offered to pay for two spots but the extra spacious riverfront spots were reserved for an "event". After futile conversation with the unhelpful woman, who wanted to only roll her eyes and be rude, we decided to scrap it and look elsewhere. I wish I had seen these reviews ahead of time but oh well! It was a learning experience! You can't argue with crazy! Although im sure they will post a counter argument about how they are always right! Go for it! 9 plus terrible reviews cant all be wrong, especially since they all have a similar complaint! Luckily we found a great spot with wonderful staff - second crossing! Just amazingly friendly service, excellent showers and spacious restrooms (not portapottys). So glad we didn't bother arguing anymore and just cut our losses!

• Stayed: June 2012
7  Thank 1happycamper82
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

To address your staments first.

Each riverfront campsite is basically the same size that typically fits 6-8 people. Although alot of guests put many more.

Yes they are ontop of each other, they are riverfront, and limited space on the Guadalupe River.

No the grounds are green and lush, but remember riverfront is RIVERFRONT and gets used alot and does flood - duh.

You wanted RIVERFRONT and were given your choice of at least three different sites - on two acres!!! Some with beautiful grass and shade.

No we are not always right but you didnt bring the first thing it stated on our email to you. A GOOD ATTITUDE.

And also we have restrooms and showers as well. You just didnt stick around enough to find or use them.

Talk about can't argue with Crazy!! Your husband and guests were so embarassed by your behavior. You were offered riverfront campsite for a party of four. You brought 2 large tents and a pavillion, enough to pillage the village. When you complained, we gave you a map and your choice of other sites on 2 acres and still could not apease you. No one was rude to you. You yelled at us about everything. Apparently you are very hard to please. If you would have relaxed a bit maybe we could have worked something out, but with all the huffing and puffing we knew that would be difficult. Most likely you are unaware that your husband apologized for your rude behavior before you left for Walmart.

Reviewed 15 July 2011

A large group of us stayed at Billy Goats Gruff July 7,8,9,10. We had an awesome time! The majority of our group consisted of teachers... and we all know teachers have lots of questions and can be "nit-picky".... I spoke with Brooke on the phone several times before our trip, she answered all our questions and concerns in a very friendly manner. We were treated with respect the entire duration of our trip. What most people need to understand, is this IS a business and if you follow the rules and treat the management with respect.... you will be treated the same. I find the pervious reviews "one sided" and rude. What were you doing to have this type of experience? I would highy recomend Billy Goats Gruff campsites to anyone that wants to have a great time at the river. I will be making reservations again to visit next summer! We had a BLAST.... all 25 of us!!!!!! Thanks~Julie

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Julie, Thanks and glad you had a great time. And you are correct there are always is a few that think they are entitled. We have had thousands of guests over the years and only 22 reviews. Most of the people who enjoy themselves dont bother to write a review. Its usually the troublemakers, scammers, or ones with bad attitudes that write a negative review. We have a 92% return guests list and appreciate all your business. Thanks again and hope to see you again

Reviewed 10 July 2011

Started off to an exciting trip to the river with a group of friends; ended up hating Mangement aka "Brooke" who single handedly made me write this review for our group of 25 who will never go back.  So we showed up with a large group expecting to pay for our 5 extra cars; after forking out an absurd $100 for the extra vehicles they proceed to tell us there is an overflow parking lot that is $10 insted of $20 and would not refund us the difference, so great start with Brooke being a great host.  The ONLY reason we stayed at the Gruff was for electricity. We were charged an extra $6 per person for electricity when only 4 out of our 10 tents used it. Be advised you need ~ 150+ft of extention cord to reach an outlet (lucky we came prepared).  When we got ready to toob it was a disaster to get in the water. to make it easier on THEM they take your groups toobs and combine it on one giant ticket then split it between the group. Now it seems logical but there are different tubes at different prices and some people didn't need tubes for their icechest.  This only created a mess for our group due to our size and impossible to split up. Example, one of our guys got a $16 tube and had their own icechest on their person but ended paying $30 due to the price per person they told us.  If you can avoid Brooke and conversate with the younger girl (her daughter??) who knows her stuff and treats people respectfully it will save you a headache.  Otherwise the location is great, you are able to party with loud music, the facities are maintained well for it being a primitive campsite.  Final thoughts avoid if possible due to it being a money pit with hidden cost.

• Stayed: July 2011
7  Thank RiverRat88
Management response:Responded 16 July 2012

We charge for extra cars because we are a small camp and room is very limited!
It is $10 per day for extra cars.

Yes electricity must be paid for. It is $10 per day also.
Yes bring TOILET PAPER AND 100 FT EXT CORDS - remember we are a primitvie camp.

No we are not a money pit. Sorry - you must pay to play, just like
ever where else on earth, you are not entitled.

Reviewed 6 July 2011

Upon arriving I found that the grounds were neat and clean and no trash or ltter was scattered around. I found that for a small campsite, everyone there was very friendly and my sister and I found the owners very helpful and curtious. Upon reading the other reviews I could not imagine that they were talking about the same place. I, aware that it was primitive camping, came very prepared ahead of time which made for an easy going camp experience :) Yes bring toliet paper..extension cords...etc. And yes the bathrooms had dirt/sand/trash in the corner, but it wasn't at the fault of the campground....but by the campers who couldn't throw away their own stuff. We stayed there for 4 days and drove around thru other campsites who did charge the same prices or even those who would charge for a shower! We stayed up late and made new friends and everyone, including Brook and her husband, got along great! I look forward to returning there again soon--ready for another dirty river dawg!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Laurie5360
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Thanks for the great review. On a previous review we stated that we would never give trip advisor the time or effort but reading the truth from guests like you is much appreciated. Yes bring toilet paper, yes bring 100 ft extension cords. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. We strive to keep everything as clean as possible. Glad you liked the dirty river dawg. As of most of the negative reviews, they think they are entitled, trying to scam, or have done something wrong, ie break the rules or just dont want to pay. Once again if anyone has any questions just ask. Thanks for the honest review again.

Reviewed 27 June 2011

We camped here this weekend. I found it interesting that there are so many mixed reviews about Billy Goats Gruff campground. The same group of friends that camped this weekend came here a couple of years ago and we swore we would never come back. The bathrooms were disgusting! I had mixed feelings about going there again but that is where we were able to get accomodations for our large group. We were told we would have 3 camping sites and paid for three but the spot they put is in was definitely big enough for all of us plus a nice area for our tables and chairs. We were not cramped at all for space and we had 5 large tents and two small tents. I was very surprised that they even had green grass because we are in a drought so I was pleased that the grass was really green in most of the campgrounds. I did have an issue with a couple of things though. One was the porta potties by late Saturday and Sunday were very full. It might help to have them emptied during the weekend. I didn't think they smelled though. We did not know that you have to bring your own toilet paper but I always bring my own anyway. The showers are closed from 1 to 7pm every day for cleaning which didn't make a whole lot of sense to me because it should not take that long to clean the shower stalls. I checked for cleanliness at closing time at 1pm and stood in line after they opened at 7pm and did not see that the showers were any cleaner than before. One of my friends told me that the ATM is $5 but who cares, when you're on the river you should bring cash. We didn't rent tubes, we just hung out in the water so I don't know what they cost. Going rate on the river is between 15 and 20 bucks anyway. We did park all our vehicles in the overflow parking up on River Road and that was fine. We were allowed to unload our gear at our leisure and then took it back up there and they have a golf cart to bring you back if you need it. Our trip was fun but I think the bathrooms and showers being closed for so long could use a rethink. Only the porta potties needed attention. I was really dreading going there again but it really was not that bad. I was with my friends and we had a great time. As long as the bathrooms are not totally gross I don't have a problem because you are camping in 100 degrees!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank mtomerlin
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

The reason why we keep the bathrooms/shower shut between 1-7 is because while the whole camp is tubing out on the river we clean them and then lock them. If we do not do this, people who take out of the river or get a concession trash them out. They urinate,defecate, puke, try to have sex, and take free showers. Thats why they are locked! We also try to clean the porta pottys if they are bad or if someone brings the problem to our attention. On holiday weekends we have them cleaned out by the port potty company. Most guest appreciate the minor inconvienice, we have now changed the times to approx 12-6.

Reviewed 27 June 2011

If you don’t genuinely like your customers, chances are they won’t be back. Friendly generates repeat business.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank dmccullough
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Just because you didnt want to pay just like everyone else does doesnt mean you had to write something negative. Some people think they are entitled.

Reviewed 13 June 2011

Before I came to this campsite I read the reviews and was a little scared. But this place is great. Everyone, including the owners, are very friendly and want you to have fun. We had 10 people (3 tents) and we had 2 campsites. We had more than enough room for all of us. There was even enough room for us to park 3 cars there. Yes, the owners do want you to respect their property, but wouldn't you? The bathrooms were clean each time I went and never had a problem wtih them. We did bring our own TP after reading the previous reviews, so we were prepared. Also, while there is a 11pm quiet time, they dont come around and yell at your like some other campsites do. As long as you are not blaring music or being really loud they leave you alone. I would 100% recommend this campsite to anyone wanting to float the river. Great location, fun times and plenty of space!

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Your music and yelling continued to be loud into the am. Not intoxicated more like tired, exhausted, fustrated, and furious. Turn your music and yelling down and get some sleep like everyone else!!